Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Family of soldier who killed deputy releases statement

Fort Gordon authorities released the following information Thursday afternoon.

Hodges Family Statement

(Sent on behalf of Mr. Fred Hodges, father of Christopher Michael Hodges)

This unspeakable tragedy has left us shaken, saddened and wrought with questions that we will never have answers to.

Our deepest and most heartfelt sympathies are with the family and friends of Officer James D. Paugh and all who are affected by this tragic event.

Those who knew and loved our son Christopher Michael Hodges are aware that he has never demonstrated any behavior that would indicate a capacity to carry out such an act.

We respectfully ask for privacy and understanding in dealing with this extremely painful family matter.

Mr. Fred Hodges

stillamazed
stillamazed 10/27/11 - 04:00 pm
God bless you Mr. Hodges and

God bless you Mr. Hodges and family. In times like this people want to make speculations and assumptions as to why a person would do such things and I suppose that is human nature, everyone wants answers. It was said today that some Fort Gordon soldiers have been verbally accosted and nasty hand gestures made at them just because they are soldiers and to me that shows a lot of ignorance and a lack of education on the part of the people who would do such a thing. You nor your family are responsible for this tragedy just like the rest of these good hard working soldiers are not responsible. I am sure that a hole has been life in your life just life a hole has been left in the lives of the people who loved Officer Paugh and I pray that God will give each of you the strength to go on and try to make some sense of it all.

BamaMan
BamaMan 10/27/11 - 04:26 pm
My prayers have been for your

My prayers have been for your family all through this horrible time. I only hope that God's loving arms around you will give you some peace.

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/27/11 - 04:27 pm
Thanks, Mr. Hodges, for the

Thanks, Mr. Hodges, for the touching letter. It helps the whole community. I hope everyone respects your family privacy during this time of grief.

marie21
marie21 10/27/11 - 04:32 pm
We are praying for your

We are praying for your family as well as the Paugh family. All are suffering. May our Lord give you peace and strength through this horrible time. You have also lost someone you loved.

Vito45
Vito45 10/27/11 - 04:37 pm
Dittos. What Chris did was

Dittos. What Chris did was horrible, but I can only speculate about the pain his family must be feeling. They lost a child which is the worst thing that can happen to a parent, but the circumstances have to double the anguish.

augustagolfgirl 10/27/11 - 04:54 pm
My heart is saddened for all

My heart is saddened for all the friends and family members of everyone involved in this tragedy. Prayers and love.

Dixieman
Dixieman 10/27/11 - 05:16 pm
A classy message. Thank you,

A classy message. Thank you, Mr. Hodges.

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 10/27/11 - 05:27 pm
It was so nice of Mr. Hodges

It was so nice of Mr. Hodges to offer his sympathies during what is surely a horrific time for him. I have kept this family in my prayers as well, and hope they know that they have no blame in anything that happened. My heart is heavy for anyone who has to bury a child.

scorehouse
scorehouse 10/27/11 - 05:27 pm
no rhyme, no reason, only a

no rhyme, no reason, only a never ending abyss of second guessing, pain, wondering what went wrong and what the future ......? i'm sincerely sorry for all involved. mr. hodges, thanks. for the paugh family, i don't have the words to offer proper condolences. god bless you.

Craig Spinks
Craig Spinks 10/27/11 - 05:37 pm
Dixieman & AC, Well-stated.

Dixieman & AC,

Well-stated.

sheymiah64
sheymiah64 10/27/11 - 06:34 pm
Mr.Hodges, my deepest

Mr.Hodges, my deepest sympathy goes out to you and your wife,sons! I will pray for your inner peace, we don't always know what to say at this time,sometimes words left unspoken,and embrace let's you know, I am here! Christopher was always a joyful young man, keep those memories alive! The Carter's love you all, we are concerned " Keeping you all in our Prayers up here in the "dirtywater" Waterbury,Connecticut

curly123053
curly123053 10/27/11 - 08:08 pm
My prayers are with all in

My prayers are with all in this tragic event!

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 10/27/11 - 08:21 pm
A family is not guilty by

A family is not guilty by reason of DNA or association.

harley_52
harley_52 10/27/11 - 08:45 pm
Mr. Hodges, thank you for the

Mr. Hodges, thank you for the heartfelt letter. I can't imagine the grief you are experiencing. God is with you and I hope he brings peace and understanding to your family in this difficult time.

Cynical old woman
Cynical old woman 10/27/11 - 09:31 pm
What a heartfelt and classy

What a heartfelt and classy statement. As a parent of an adult child who has CERTAINLY done things and made choices that disgust me I realize a parent can only do a limited amount and cannot take blame or guilt for another adult's behavior even if its their child. May God bless you during the journey that lies ahead for you and your family.

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 10/28/11 - 12:30 am
Mr. Hodges, thank you for

Mr. Hodges, thank you for your letter. This is the certainly a step to help in the long road ahead of the healing process for many within the Augusta area.

Parents can only be responsible for raising their sons and daughters properly to a certain extent and to a certain age.

While we deeply grieve for Deputy Paugh, his family and the deputies within our area we need to also offer condolences to you and your family as well as our local military personnel.

allhans
allhans 10/28/11 - 09:10 am
The "why" will always be with

The "why" will always be with us when tragedies happen. We can only pray for strength to help us through.

whooney65
whooney65 10/28/11 - 09:16 am
God Bless your family.I feel

God Bless your family.I feel horrible for you as well.

daphne3520
daphne3520 10/28/11 - 01:49 pm
VERY classy, Mr. Hodges.

VERY classy, Mr. Hodges. KUDOS to YOU!

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 10/28/11 - 04:41 pm
Thank you.

Thank you.

Kristinaandthree
Kristinaandthree 10/30/11 - 12:36 am
Sometimes things happen and

Sometimes things happen and we cant control them. I'm positive that your son was a good man. I am so sorry for your loss. This is a horrible tragedy and no one deserved it. May God bless your son and keep him. May God bless you and keep you. I am a mother of three boys and I can only imagine the pain that you're going through. Stay strong. Once, again, I am so sorry. Even the thought of losing one of my boys chills me. Please take care of your selves. This isn't any ones fault and it is not on your heads.