Augusta jogger hit after stopping to pet dog

A female jogger told authorities she was assaulted after she petted a dog on Richmond Avenue.

According to an incident report, the 30-year-old woman paused during her jog and pet a dog about 8:50 p.m. Tuesday in the 2100 block of Richmond Avenue A man in the home behind her stuck his head out the window and yelled at her, police said.

The woman told police she was continuing her jog on Meigs Street when the man and a woman got out of a vehicle and began hitting her in the face. The couple then got back in the vehicle and drove off.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 10/12/11 - 12:25 pm
Now this is a truly weird

Now this is a truly weird story.

InChristLove
InChristLove 10/12/11 - 12:32 pm
I agree Fiat but you know

I agree Fiat but you know there are some really strange people out there.

Sweet son
Sweet son 10/12/11 - 12:34 pm
I bet the dog didn't bite

I bet the dog didn't bite her!! Butt heads!!

raul
raul 10/12/11 - 12:41 pm
Geez, I guess you have to

Geez, I guess you have to carry (a pistola) when you jog in Augusta. An odd story.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 10/12/11 - 01:20 pm
Maybe there has been a rash

Maybe there has been a rash of dognappings in that area lately.

david jennings
david jennings 10/12/11 - 01:22 pm
One would have to think its

One would have to think its more to this story.Why would someone assault a person for petting a dog?It just gets stranger all the time.

TK3
TK3 10/12/11 - 01:42 pm
1: Never go out ANYWHERE

1: Never go out ANYWHERE unarmed (despite what armed politicians and their armed thugs in uniform tell you)!
2: To blazes with "jogging", learn to RUN!
3: Somebody save the dog !

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 10/12/11 - 03:41 pm
I certainly hope she got

I certainly hope she got their tag number and changes routes.

kiwiinamerica
kiwiinamerica 10/12/11 - 03:50 pm
How....*smash*.........many..

How....*smash*.........many......*whack*......times......*thump* .....do I......*slap*..........have to tell you???

Don't..........*punch*.......pet ........*crash*......my.........*wallop*.....dog!!!

Seems like a perfectly sensible and sane form of behavior to me!

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 10/12/11 - 04:44 pm
This isn't funny, guys.

This isn't funny, guys.

nothin2show4it
nothin2show4it 10/12/11 - 05:48 pm
Got to be more to the story.

Got to be more to the story.

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 10/12/11 - 06:19 pm
I could be wrong, but I

I could be wrong, but I don't think there is any more to this story. The bizarreness of it sets it apart. One good thing though, if the assailants are linked to the dog/house, they won't be hard to locate.

CorporalGripweed
CorporalGripweed 10/12/11 - 06:47 pm
Probably right about there

Probably right about there being more to the story. But you can do what my wife and I do. Jog with a firearm visible. With a a permit of course. The second amendment is there for a reason. Sad to have to resort to that, but that's reality in the 21st century. Better to be judged by twelve than carried by six.

raul
raul 10/12/11 - 07:18 pm
Doesn't say whether the

Doesn't say whether the jogger responded to the man yelling at her. If she did and said something he deemed offensive, maybe he and the woman got in their car and followed the jogger, assaulted her and then left. Only thing I can figure.

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 10/12/11 - 08:20 pm
raul, good point, don't ever

raul, good point, don't ever reply. I just wonder if the man thought that petting the dog would lure him into the street or away from home and that is what set him off.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 10/12/11 - 10:57 pm
Why doesn't the article

Why doesn't the article mention whether the dog was secure on its own property or not? If it was not secure, the owners should be charged with disobeying the leash law as well as the alleged assault. If the dog was secure, and on its own property, was the woman petting the dog trespassing? Too many variables possible here to make a judgment.

cityman
cityman 10/13/11 - 05:26 am
Carry a weapon and stand your

Carry a weapon and stand your own ground!

mom of two boys
mom of two boys 10/13/11 - 06:41 am
Was there anyone else that

Was there anyone else that thought the jogger had been hit by a car instead of hit in the face after the headline???

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 10/13/11 - 06:49 am
AutumnLeaves, one

AutumnLeaves, one observation we can make is if she was attacked, whoever beat her, should be arrested.

Yes, mom of two, that is exactly what I expected to read about, a car accident, not a beating for lady jogger. Glad to live in a neighborhood where dog petting is still allowed.

fd1962
fd1962 10/13/11 - 07:11 am
Get serious. Chronicle needs

Get serious. Chronicle needs to send an ace reporter out to interview that dog.

fd1962
fd1962 10/13/11 - 07:35 am
justthefacts, Good Morning.

justthefacts, Good Morning. Yes, Chron's attempt at electronic warfare against unsympathetic posters... I am often forced to log-in in order to be able to see my own remarks and those of the other known 'unwashed' here. Glory.

justthefacts
justthefacts 10/13/11 - 07:38 am
fd, if it makes you feel any

fd, if it makes you feel any better, I have to log in as well. Are you forking out the bucks?

fd1962
fd1962 10/13/11 - 07:42 am
justthefacts, do chickens

justthefacts, do chickens have lips?

justthefacts
justthefacts 10/13/11 - 07:46 am
gotcha, come on, pay up

gotcha, come on, pay up cheapo.

fd1962
fd1962 10/13/11 - 08:02 am
justthefacts, yes, you got

justthefacts, yes, you got me. After subscribing faithfully for twenty years, toting the newspapers down my thousand-foot driveway and eventually back up to the garbage can became disenchanting. I offered to pay THREE times the cost of subscribing if Chronicle would deliver ONLY the front and Metro sections to me by mail. For one six month period, I kept all the papers they delivered, weighed them finally, and the total was 235 lbs. of paper - times two = you figure weight of waste per year! Chronicle declined my offer; I canceled subscription. End of story. No regrets.

fd1962
fd1962 10/13/11 - 08:24 am
And, justthefacts, what

And, justthefacts, what happened to your 8:15AM post here? Did YOU remove it, or did the Chronicle scratch it?!

allhans
allhans 10/13/11 - 09:02 am
In my neighborhood the dogs

In my neighborhood the dogs are in fenced BACK yards, not by the street.
I walk my little white dog on a leash and she has many friends, other dogs that are also on a leash. They sniff each other, rub faces, and on we go!

augustarez
augustarez 10/13/11 - 11:32 am
The dog owners (renters) have

The dog owners (renters) have confronted other passersby and neighbors previously. Their dogs (two) are left outdoors. Older dog is tied up on a long lead allowing access to within a very few feet of the sidewalk on Richmond Avenue. Dogs' "shelter" is a small doghouse of questionable sheltering effectiveness - plus a non-moving vehicle (auto.) Sheriff's Office and Animal Control have been called to the property by concerned neighbors / citizens on more than one occasion. Property owner was made aware of concerns weeks ago.

allhans
allhans 10/13/11 - 01:41 pm
Well, doggone it

Well, doggone it augusta..That is aWFUL. Residents shouldn't have to put up with trash like that.

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 10/13/11 - 03:18 pm
AC, I don't usually try to

AC, I don't usually try to edit, but how about Jogger beaten after stopping to pet dog. The other sounds like a car accident. Just saying.

MCG student, class buy kids' books for Ferguson library

Three weeks after the Missouri grand jury indictment verdict, Ashee Nicole Sharer created a Ferguson wish list on BarnesAndNoble.com, urging classmates to purchase a book for the Ferguson ...