Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Augusta man faces child cruelty charges

A 25-year-old has been charged with two counts of first-degree child cruelty after authorities said he beat two children Thursday.

A Richmond County deputy discovered the abuse after he pulled over a woman for running a stop sign, according to an incident report.

The woman was hysterical and explained she had just picked up her children, ages 7 and 8, from their grandmother’s home in the 600 block of Macon Avenue and discovered the markings on their bodies, police said.

The 7-year-old had a marking on his face, and the 8-year-old had a marking on the inner thigh.

Imanuel Antionio Richardson, a cousin of the children’s mother, told authorities he used a belt on the children after their grandmother asked him to “woop” them when they began acting wild about 1 a.m. Thursday.

Charges were not filed against the mother or grandmother.

storiesihaveread
storiesihaveread 10/07/11 - 12:06 pm
He needs to have his butt

He needs to have his butt "wooped" several times. I would say granny does not need to watch the grand kids IF in fact she did say it.

Patty-P
Patty-P 10/07/11 - 01:53 pm
I guess there are a lot of

I guess there are a lot of sickos and sociopaths out there then.

sell71
sell71 10/07/11 - 03:53 pm
I do not condone abuse (as it

I do not condone abuse (as it seems to be in this article), but that term may not apply in all cases where a child is punished corporally. My brother and I got our butts whipped with a belt by my dad. My grandmother had her favorite switch too. I have to say I think I'm a better person for it. Yeah, it stung for a bit, but it was not what I consider abuse. We KNEW what would happen if we got too far out of line and if we did...there were consequences. A little fear of getting in trouble tends to keep one out of it!

corgimom
corgimom 10/07/11 - 05:06 pm
Sounds to me like the

Sounds to me like the grandmother is no longer able to adequately care for the children, since she can't control them. I wonder- what was a 7 year old and a 8 year old doing up at 1 am, on a school night?

The mother needs to find another source of child care.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 10/08/11 - 12:24 am
I don't think much of a

I don't think much of a grandmother that tells someone to "woop" her grandchildren. She should be held accountable, too, in some way, if she instructed him to do it. Violence begets violence. You don't control children; you raise them by teaching them to control themselves. When will people learn this?

InChristLove
InChristLove 10/08/11 - 07:48 am
Bustin Chops, my father used

Bustin Chops, my father used a belt on me and my other siblings and he most definitely could go toe-to-toe with someone his own size. He disciplined us, not abused us.....there is a huge difference. What this cousin did was not discipline.....when you leave a mark on a childs face that is evident of abuse.

"And people who glorify beating children with belts are sickos, on the same level as sexual perverts. Sociopaths"

Where did you get the idea that this cousin got his gollies off by beating these children. Could be by 1am he was tired and ready to go to bed and struck these kids in anger, not sexual gratification. Geeze

Patty-P
Patty-P 10/08/11 - 09:22 am
Both my parents disciplined

Both my parents disciplined me and my siblings with a belt but it was not abusive and it was a rare instance - had to be something extreme that we did to lead up to that. I find it humorous that we accept police officers using batons or any other means of force to 'control' people, but when a parent has to discipline it becomes a problem.

Cassandra Harris
Cassandra Harris 10/08/11 - 09:49 am
How sad that every time there

How sad that every time there is a story on child abuse, so many come on the comments and praise the abuse they suffered as kids. Yes, it's what your parents, grandparents, ancestors did, but that does not negate it was abuse nor make it the best parenting method. Mothers used to smoke and drink and people thought that was alright. Husbands used to get away with beating their wives and people thought it was none of society's business.

Striking a child hard enough to inflict pain, especially with an object, is abuse. Not beating a child does not mean lack of discipline. We don't beat/hit/belt/smack/whoop adults who don't do as we would like, we call that assault/torture and outlaw it. How is it any different for a small child who cannot in any way defend themself or get away. Sad.

InChristLove
InChristLove 10/08/11 - 10:03 am
Most on here who admit their

Most on here who admit their parents used a belt or switch as discipline do not consider it as abuse. I know my parents used a belt as a form of discipline in the most extreme cases where I disobeyed their rules. Use of a belt in the proper manner does not confirm abuse. Not using a belt does not mean a lack of discipline, that is correct, just as the use of a hand, belt or switch used in the right manner without anger, does not mean abuse.

What this cousin did, I would consider abuse.

Patty-P
Patty-P 10/08/11 - 11:45 am
I praise every bit of the way

I praise every bit of the way my parents raised me. Never killed anyone. Never shot anyone. Never assaulted anyone. Don't steal. Don't drive drunk. Don't kick down people's doors. Don't cuss out my elders. Don't use drugs.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 10/08/11 - 12:10 pm
Physical punishment, if

Physical punishment, if appropriate, should be used by parents alone. Not sitters, cousins, grandparents, teachers, etc.

Those of us who turned out as law abiding productive citizens also had relationships with those parents who disciplined us. They invested their time in us, played with us, provided wise instruction, gave love and a secure home life.

Corporal punishment is nothing more than an attention getter, it doesn't solve the problem or build relationships. It should never be about pain.

You'll hear just as many stories from parents who claim they whipped their kids growing up and still had problems with them.

Discipline without love is usually done as a punishment and punishment alone, typically causes more rebellion.

We should be more interested in changing hearts rather than controlling behaviors as they progress in their age.

sugarbutton
sugarbutton 10/08/11 - 01:01 pm
I do NOT have a problem with

I do NOT have a problem with corporal punishment. I do however have a problem with leaving marks on a childs face or inner thigh. It does not negate abuse to be spanked appropriately. However, when you start leaving marks, it's a different story. I want to meet the person my 3 yr old is marked by and see if they like the justification of me "whoopin" them. That physical punisment would be appropriate and more than likely would leave marks. And, then I'd probably get arrested for battery, you think?

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 10/08/11 - 03:16 pm
Don't hit them, then you

Don't hit them, then you don't have to worry about marks.

Patty-P
Patty-P 10/08/11 - 03:28 pm
Willow I agree with

Willow I agree with everything you said in your last post. I would definitely have a problem with someone else disciplining my child.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 10/08/11 - 08:41 pm
I agree ICL. My dad wore me a

I agree ICL. My dad wore me a out a couple of times (with the belt) but I must admit I was guilty every time. I cried every time too.
It wasn't the pain as much as it was I was embarassed. There was never a mark left on me either.
When I look back I am glad I was raised that way. I learned real quick when the chance of a "whippin'" would be the outcome for my actions.
I have three daughters now and thankfully their mom was the disiplinarian. She never used a belt but a good swat on their butts got her point across. They are older now (the youngest one is 13) and they actually like and trust their parents. We are all very close and whenever I read stories like this it makes me sick that any grown up could actually HURT a child. I'd like to take a belt to this Dude!

InChristLove
InChristLove 10/08/11 - 09:20 pm
Shrimp, I agree it wasn't so

Shrimp, I agree it wasn't so much the pain but the embarassment and my parents never left a mark on me. To be honest, I know I got several whippings with a belt but can not remember any of them except the one my father gave me. I don't believe it was so much the belt whipping I got but the fact that I lost my bike riding previledge for a month. Only took the one time to remember to always ask mom before going somewhere and I best be where I said I was going when she comes looking.

catawba7
catawba7 10/08/11 - 10:16 pm
He probably does not live in

He probably does not live in the home or pay his child support. Why do women continue to date abusive men and then pass the abuse to their children? I say put him and granny in jail for abuse and mom for stupidity. I have no compassion for adults who abuse.

InChristLove
InChristLove 10/08/11 - 11:15 pm
catawba7, the man that abused

catawba7, the man that abused the kids wasn't a boyfriend. It was her cousin.