Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Copper theft destroys walls of Augusta home

An Augusta man reported Monday that someone had stolen copper wiring and destroyed walls in his home, according to a Richmond County sheriff’s report.

Officers found that someone had removed the copper tubing from the air conditioner at the home in the 3300 block of Timber Twig Drive. It also appeared that the thief had entered an unlocked bedroom window and removed more copper wiring after destroying the walls of the room, according to an incident report. The attic hatch was left open, but the officer was unable to determine whether any damage occurred in the attic.

The homeowner estimates the damage occurred between the afternoon of Sept. 27 and about noon Monday.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 10/03/11 - 09:30 pm
This copper thing is getting

This copper thing is getting out of hand.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 10/03/11 - 10:54 pm
I can find no record of a

I can find no record of a Timber Twig Drive in Augusta, Georgia in whitepages.com or online anywhere. Is the address correct?

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/04/11 - 08:45 am
Yep shrimp....It's getting

Yep shrimp....It's getting out of hand....I think we need some bait houses, just like the bait cars..

allhans
allhans 10/04/11 - 09:32 am
Could it be that it is a

Could it be that it is a street in a new subdivision?

Bing0
Bing0 10/04/11 - 10:01 am
This is ridiculous. I can't

This is ridiculous. I can't imagine that this perpetrator even made minimum wage when he cashed in. It is work to remove copper wiring like that. (I have put it in but never removed it.) Not to mention the damage that is done from such a crime. What we need is a special law with much more extreme penalties for crimes like this one where the property damage is so extreme.

cohlin001
cohlin001 10/04/11 - 12:07 pm
I think it should read Limber

I think it should read Limber Twig, which is in Apple Valley

OIC
OIC 10/04/11 - 12:10 pm
These copper thieves are

These copper thieves are making pennies on the dollar. I have not seen any news coverage on sale of gold, scrap jewelry or other precious metals. There is alot of money changing hands and not always to the owner of the property. There is no regulation in this area either. All you need is a picture identification. Some of these large purcasers (we have all seen and heard the advertisements) are making a fortune. I wish the County or State would make these purchasers fill out pawn reports that give detailed descriptions of the jewelry (Gold chains, rings, necklaces and bracelets) that has been purchased as scrap. In my line of work if someone is attempting to sell a necklace valued at $2000 (value in gold weight) for $400 it merits an investigation.