Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Woman shot, dragged along road in McDuffie slaying

Garth Snow/Morris News Service

THOMSON, Ga. — Two McDuffie County residents have been charged with murder in the death of a woman who was shot and then dragged down a rural road.

Back | Next
Police say Jennifer Kitchen Wells was shot at 10:19 p.m. Thursday at Happy Valley Store, south of Thomson.  Garth Snow/Morris News Service
Garth Snow/Morris News Service

The body of Jennifer Kitchen Wells, 36, of the 3000 block of Anthony Lane in Gibson, was recovered about five miles west of the Happy Valley Store south of Thomson, where the shooting occurred about 10:19 p.m. Thursday.

A blood trail began with a pool across the southbound lane of Wrens Highway. It trailed through the dirt parking lot of the Happy Valley Store, then west for miles on the westbound lane of Happy Valley Road.

Ricky Charles Wells, 43, of the 900 block of Hobbs Mill Road near Dearing, and Tina Ann Wells, 40, of the 1200 block of Davis Circle in Boneville, were arrested in neighboring War­ren County by Glascock County sheriff’s deputies. The suspects were taken to the McDuffie County Law Enforcement Center in Thomson.

Pat Morgan, the agent in charge for the Geor­gia Bureau of Investigation, could not confirm the relationship among the three people who shared the same last name. He said interviews and investigation will continue.

Morgan and McDuffie County Sheriff Logan Marshall confirmed there was evidence at the scene of the victim’s body being dragged.

“At this time I’m not going to get into why it was so vicious,” he said.

Marshall, whose department was first to respond to the scene, said there was blood evidence near the store and indications that two vehicles had left the scene.

Calls went out to nearby agencies. Thom­son police set up a roadblock. Warren and Glascock county deputies were on alert.

“Two vehicles were spotted in the area of Purvis School Road and Georgia Highway 80, which is actually in Warren County,” Marshall said. “From that location, Glascock County sheriff’s officers approached the two vehicles, and it was determined that the two occupants were suspects in the shooting at the Hap­py Valley Store in McDuffie County.”

Morgan said an autopsy is scheduled today at the GBI Crime Lab in Atlanta. He would not discuss the condition of the body.

The victim lived with her two children in a mobile home community along Beech Tree Acres Road in Gibson.

“She was a good neighbor,” Tony Radford said. “She kept to her herself and took care of her two children. She was always home.”

Radford said Wells delivered newspapers in Thomson. He said she worked at Balloon Delights in Thomson until the February fire that closed several businesses in a Hill Street building. She also had worked as a waitress at a restaurant and club in Gibson, he said.

“She was a good person. She’d do anything for you,” he said. “She never said anything bad about anybody.”

Morgan said cooperation among agencies was key to making the arrests.

“If it hadn’t been for this teamwork, we’d probably be standing here today asking for the public’s help in identifying these suspects,” he said.

Residents near the rural store reacted in shock.

“I could not imagine someone doing something like that,” Sabrina Thomas said.

She said she lives near a section of the road that was closed until late Friday morning as deputies recovered evidence.

Rob Thomas said the crime was hard to believe.

“Cold-blooded is one thing,” he said. “But the cruelty. You’d never think that in this country.”

bkl4516
bkl4516 10/01/11 - 03:16 am
Rob Thomas, I don't know what

Rob Thomas, I don't know what country your living in. I hate to say it, this sort of crime happens all the time in the USA. I'm not trying to stick it to you, just letting you know that we (American's) live in a not so friendly society.

david jennings
david jennings 10/01/11 - 06:26 am
I cant help but wonder if the

I cant help but wonder if the call for the death penalty by some posters is a reaction to the brutal nature of this crime.If it can be determined the victim was killed by the gun,then the other part of this horror could be seen as a seperate violation.I cant imagine what kind of hate or rage would lead someone to commit to such a thing.By the way,I do believe the death penalty is appropriate in some cases.Yes I pray God will be with the victims family.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 10/01/11 - 06:58 am
Fry them.

Fry them.

reba530
reba530 10/01/11 - 07:22 am
What they ought to do to

What they ought to do to these sick o's is the same thing that was done to this poor lady. How can they live with themselves after such a horrible thing they did. And to think they thought they would get away with this just blows my mind. I say save the tax payers money and do something right now to these 2 devils we have here on earth

JRC2024
JRC2024 10/01/11 - 07:54 am
dougk, I am a conservative

dougk, I am a conservative and I have no problem with the death penalty. Maybe it will be quick and the attorneys will not drag it out.

Patty-P
Patty-P 10/01/11 - 08:18 am
Agree with reba530. I think

Agree with reba530. I think those sentenced to the death penalty should die the same way they killed their victims. An eye for an eye...

charliemanson
charliemanson 10/01/11 - 08:31 am
Hard times bring out the

Hard times bring out the animal in people.

Vito45
Vito45 10/01/11 - 08:36 am
Charlie, hard times make

Charlie, hard times make people more desperate; not more evil. These two are pure evil.

Jane18
Jane18 10/01/11 - 09:23 am
Cassandra your information is

Cassandra your information is pretty much correct. I heard about this yesterday morning around 8:30, from my a/c repairman. His wife is related to either the victim or the ex-husband. ICL, the lady was dragged with something, presumably a rope, and was still alive after being shot first. The dragging is what killed her. The repairman told me that the only way to identify her was by tattoo(s). He also said the girlfriend was very much involved. He didn't know for sure why it happened, so I want go any further on that. This is a mean and heartless thing to happen, these two murderers deserve everything they get! LORD help the little children..................

Jane18
Jane18 10/01/11 - 10:02 am
"an eye for an eye, tooth for

"an eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth,........................." means to be reimbursed or replaced(physically or monetarily). Capital punishment is called for in this situation. Thou shall not "kill" in Hebrew means murder/and or criminal homicide, and anyone that commits this crime is supposed to be executed.

Patty-P
Patty-P 10/01/11 - 10:13 am
Jane18....and that is exactly

Jane18....and that is exactly what I meant when I said 'an eye for an eye'...

Eye for an eye From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:
This article is about the principle of retributive justice. For other uses, see Eye for an Eye (disambiguation).
The meaning of the principle, an eye for an eye, is that a person who has injured another person receives the same injury in compensation. The exact Latin (lex talionis) to English translation of this phrase is actually "The law of retaliation." At the root of this principle is that one of the purposes of the law is to provide equitable retribution for an offended party.

Cadence
Cadence 10/01/11 - 11:23 am
I am against the death

I am against the death penalty and yet I feel that I could help with the execution today. If that makes me a hypocrite, so be it. I am horrified by this murder. Who could do this?

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 10/01/11 - 02:22 pm
Any and all murders ......

Any and all murders ...... there should be only one and only one ending......Death by any means available.....Period!

infoman
infoman 10/01/11 - 04:35 pm
A life sentence should

A life sentence should be...................... 1 WEEK! This crime is the definition of absolute evil. Yes, it does exist in the world today. I can only imagine that his girlfriend was probably FOLLOWING him. I truly hope that God will comfort the living victims and provide endless torment for the murderous evildoers. As far as thinking that they could get away with it; there was clearly NO thought process after the hammer dropped. Obviously very little before that defining moment either.

literallyamerican
literallyamerican 10/01/11 - 05:47 pm
Wow this was hard to

Wow this was hard to read--very brutal! I only believe in the death penalty when someone can not be rehabilitated, and the person who did this is so sinister I dont think there is hope, but we will have to wait unitl the trial to see why in the world this person did something like this. I do not agree with death at all costs for everyone who commits murder because we are human at best and we make enormous mistakes in life. We are dealing with this in our family right now as my sister was murdered, but I do not hate the man that did it-it will do me no good. However, I want him to pay the price for what he did and remain there until he is rehabilitated. He has expressed remorse for what he did and as a Christian I have forgiven him--it doesnt stop the pain or make me forget. If we wants to show me he is sorry he needs to take this time in prison to become a better person and learn from the tragedy he imposed on my life. If in 20 years he can show me that he is a changed man then he has my total forgiveness. Our lives are a living hell now but I have hope. I always wonder about the lives of people who automatically react to things like this with remarks like "fry him", "death at all costs"....it was a horrible thing that happened but what if it was your son or daughter who COMMITTED this crime...would you still feel the same way? I am on the other side--a victim and aside from my sister I couldnt help but think of the mans family that did this and the immense pain they were experiencing. I did not want my sister to die in vain and avenging her death with his was not the answer. I chose to show my "enemy" mercy in hopes that he would see what he should have showed my sister and I pray he will learn from that and become a better person.

InChristLove
InChristLove 10/01/11 - 06:13 pm
God Bless you

God Bless you literallyamerican. God showed us grace, mercy, and forgiveness and as hard as it is sometimes, we must do likewise. My prayer is that you will find comfort in knowing that He holds the final judgement and gives you the peace to get through this season in your and your family's life.

literallyamerican
literallyamerican 10/01/11 - 06:24 pm
In Christ thank you so much

In Christ thank you so much for your words of wisdom. He does give me strength everyday and the reason I know that is because I get up and breath each day and do it again the next. I dont think I could sit on my knees in front of God each day and then go out wish death on anyone no matter what they have done and not feel like a complete hypocrite. I pray for this man daily, he was very young and his whole life is destroyed--I hope that one day he will be able to walk out of there as a testimony of what mercy can do for someone...even someone we as humans think unworthy.

Patty-P
Patty-P 10/02/11 - 09:04 pm
myfather15....how do you know

myfather15....how do you know she was dead before being dragged? I have been looking for an update on whether that was the case but havn't found one yet.

Cassandra Harris
Cassandra Harris 10/02/11 - 09:28 pm
Patty - I was about to ask

Patty - I was about to ask the same thing. According to everything that has been reported, they had not done an autopsy yet and believed her to still be alive when she was dragged by the car. They also had never stated what was used to attach her to the car.

madgerman
madgerman 10/03/11 - 07:33 am
In our country of laws, I

In our country of laws, I hope we do not persue the death penalty, after all why should we foot the legal bills for these beasts for the next 22 plus years of appeals. Just keep electing your favorite lawyers to represent you in the state house. After all they are to only ones who use common sense in the writting and passing of logical sentencing laws.

HHSgrad
HHSgrad 10/03/11 - 07:46 am
Patty P & Cassandra - it was

Patty P & Cassandra - it was announced on WTHO radio (101.7)this am that the autopsy was done, but reports may not be ready for a few more days. They did determine that she was shot before being dragged and was believed already deceased at the time of the dragging.
My prayers are to all the families involved.

Cassandra Harris
Cassandra Harris 10/03/11 - 08:53 am
HHSgrad - I know that they

HHSgrad - I know that they had done the autopsy, but I also could not find any info as to the autopsy results being released. Given information about himself that myfather has revealed earlier concerning what he does for a living, I'm just wondering how he knows and why he is revealing information that has not been made public.

HHSgrad
HHSgrad 10/03/11 - 09:02 am
Cassandra - your post from

Cassandra - your post from Sunday at 10:28pm says that everything that has been reported no autopsy has been done yet. Was just letting you know that by WTHO (Thomson station) radio this am, the autopsy was done and that the only info they would reveal was that they believe the victim was deceased when dragged. This may have been revealed sometime yesterday in the radio as well. As far as the metal cable, that was not mentioned by WTHO this morning. Maybe he has some inside info. Who knows.

Whiskeyborn
Whiskeyborn 10/03/11 - 11:49 am
If that was my Sister "Lord

If that was my Sister "Lord have Mercy on their Souls".

outback07
outback07 10/03/11 - 02:08 pm
As a person who has to travel

As a person who has to travel down County Line Road and then onto Happy Valley Road seeing the marks of what was obvisiously left from the tragic death of Jennifer, I get almost sick to my stomach. Going to and from church yesterday was awful. I will say. I do believe in the death penalty and I say they need to bring back the electric chair and fry them both a little bit at a time until their skin sizzles. That may sound really bad, but what they did to that poor young woman was just uncalled for and needless.

Cassandra Harris
Cassandra Harris 10/03/11 - 08:49 pm
From today's AC article on

From today's AC article on this same story: "Also Monday, Warren County Coroner Paul Lowe said that while it “does appear that she was first shot and then dragged,” he could not confirm whether she had died before being dragged."

Makes me all the more wonder why myfather felt the need to post the information he did that stated she was dead before they drug her with the car.

Lincoln County deputies injured breaking up fight

Two Lincoln County deputies were treated at an Augusta Hospital after being injured breaking up a fight at a party at an American Legion building in Lincolnton.