Former worker admits stealing more than $16,000 from Circle K

Authorities were notified Tuesday after a Circle K employee did not return thousands of dollars taken from the store over three months.

According to a Richmond County Sheriff’s Office incident report, management at Circle K at 1488 Reynolds St., noticed funds missing and confronted an employee on Monday.

The employee, identified as 52-year-old Mary Leverette, of Wandering Way, admitted she had been taking money from cash registers and deposits for the past three months. The loss totalled $16,896.71, police said. Leverette signed a statement with management admitting to the theft and was terminated.

Authorities said the store gave Leverette until Tuesday to return the money but she has not returned or called.

raul
raul 09/28/11 - 11:23 am
What do you think the chances

What do you think the chances were she could come up with 17K? Slim and none.

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/28/11 - 01:50 pm
In addition, anything she

In addition, anything she signed will probably not amount to a hill of beans. Circle K should have gotten law enforcement involved immediately.

Patty-P
Patty-P 09/28/11 - 02:09 pm
Reminds me of the school

Reminds me of the school secretary theft. They are given the opportunity to pay some of the money back in lieu of charges. And it's not like it's $20 or $100. What could a person spend 17K on in 3 months?

Loose Cannon
Loose Cannon 09/28/11 - 02:25 pm
Maybe if the Circle K

Maybe if the Circle K employees focused more on their jobs instead of covering up uper managment's indiscressions, they wouldn't have let this go on for three monthes!

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 09/28/11 - 03:23 pm
Over $16,000.00 and they

Over $16,000.00 and they didn't have her arrested on the spot? Dumb!

GaStang22
GaStang22 09/28/11 - 05:16 pm
What made them think they

What made them think they should be nice and could trust a thief to bring the money back and not flee????? They need new management PRONTO!!!!

david jennings
david jennings 09/28/11 - 07:11 pm
Maybe the poor employee will

Maybe the poor employee will be able to get unemployment benefits.

Candy2513
Candy2513 09/28/11 - 11:32 pm
No one knows the

No one knows the circumstances behind this act that this lady did and at the age of someone in their 50's we can only keep her in our prayers.I think that anyone and everyone that does this kind of thing needs to pay for what they have done no matter what the age is but on the other hand I think that the punishment should be no jail time but to work everyday and keep a job and for your pay to be sent directly to the place where the money was taken and you only get $100.00 a week for yourself until every penny is paid back. We have other crimes that are way far worst than this and those jail cells are needed for killers, child molestation and abuse, drug people. DUI.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 09/29/11 - 02:55 am
I don't think drug people

I don't think drug people should be in jail cells candy. I think they should be in rehab. as far as this theft is concerned. I wouldn't get my hopes up of ever seeing that money again.

Patty-P
Patty-P 09/29/11 - 05:47 am
candy....I think the

candy....I think the magnitude of the theft is important to look at. A person stealing this much money should spend some time in jail. It may be hard for her to pay back this much - what employer would hire her with this on her record?
shrimp....I bet many drug people are caught doing crimes so they can get drugs.

cityman
cityman 09/29/11 - 01:25 pm
You can not milk a turnip!

You can not milk a turnip!

Loose Cannon
Loose Cannon 09/29/11 - 01:55 pm
The district manager let her

The district manager let her steal for three months? I think she was doing "A" JOB but not doing the right job!!!!

Loose Cannon
Loose Cannon 09/29/11 - 02:00 pm
Let's go back to the three

Let's go back to the three months ordeal, What in the world was the district manager doing? After the first month, the dm should have caught it. As a former employee, I do believe there is more to the story. We were trained to make people confess and bullied the employees to believe they were going to face jail time if they didn't sign the statement. Circle K is under investigation for setting up minorities, just like in this instance. There is always two sides to every story!

felicia714
felicia714 10/02/11 - 06:39 pm
I can believe this. When I

I can believe this. When I tried to fair warn them of her, nobody wanted to listen. Please believe when you dig a grave for someone, you better dig another for yourself. I told you they would catch you Mary.

Loose Cannon
Loose Cannon 10/04/11 - 09:43 pm
Felicia, Has Mary been doing

Felicia, Has Mary been doing this all along? If so, did you ever report it to the market manager?

Christmas Eve storm possible

ATLANTA - Forecasters say strong storms, some with the potential for isolated tornadoes, are possible over large parts of Georgia on Christmas Eve.