Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Augusta woman loses $2,500 to con artist

Wednesday, Sept. 21, 2011 9:22 PM
Last updated 9:23 PM

An Augusta woman sought authorities Tuesday after she wired $2,500 to Cameroon for a vehicle listed in the Iwanta advertising publication.

According to an incident report, the 41-year-old woman told authorities she wired $1,250 to Cameroon for a 1998 Honda Civic on Friday and was advised the vehicle was being shipped from New York. A couple of days later, the seller said she owed an additional $500 for shipping insurance. The victim wired the money to the seller.

Once again, she was contacted and told the Georgia Customs Department required an additional $750 to bring the vehicle into the state. The victim again wired the money.

After she didn’t receive the car, the victim contacted the seller and was advised it would take an additional $1,450 for unexpected fees.

The woman contacted Richmond County authorities after she searched the seller on the Internet and discovered he was a known con artist.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 09/21/11 - 08:27 pm
Cameroon? That's the first

Cameroon?
That's the first clue right there.

Taylor B
Taylor B 09/21/11 - 08:27 pm
Always use Paypal, people.

Always use Paypal, people.

Patty-P
Patty-P 09/21/11 - 09:07 pm
Not sure what happened to my

Not sure what happened to my last comment, but it seems weird to buy a car without seeing it or checking it out.

Pu239
Pu239 09/21/11 - 09:10 pm
Unbelievable!

Unbelievable!

InChristLove
InChristLove 09/21/11 - 09:12 pm
Patty-P, my thought exactly

Patty-P, my thought exactly and Mcycleman1, no she's not an idiot. There are naive people out there that do dumb things but calling her an idiot is harsh, don't you think.

fatboyhog
2082
fatboyhog 09/21/11 - 09:16 pm
$1,250 for a 1998 Honda? That

$1,250 for a 1998 Honda? That should have been your first clue. That the car was in Cameroon should have been your second. "If it seems too good to be true, then it probably is."

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 09/21/11 - 09:46 pm
Rarely happens, speechless.

Rarely happens, speechless.

raul
raul 09/21/11 - 09:51 pm
@ AC. How about posting the

@ AC. How about posting the known con artist's name. Maybe someone reading this would avoid falling into the same trap.

billyjones1949
billyjones1949 09/21/11 - 09:55 pm
I guess the fella in Camerron

I guess the fella in Camerron has gone out to dinner tonight and drinking fine wine. Too bad for the lady.

Vito45
Vito45 09/21/11 - 11:34 pm
A more serious question.

A more serious question. Should ignorant people just suffer their own lack of savvy in these cases, or should the government step in/step up to protect against such?

Craig Spinks
Craig Spinks 09/22/11 - 01:49 am
Vito45, I recognize a

Vito45,

I recognize a rhetorical question when I see it.

juantez
juantez 09/22/11 - 04:21 am
Wonder what side of stupid

Wonder what side of stupid did she wake up on..

avidreader
avidreader 09/22/11 - 05:09 am
Concerning glass houses, I am

Concerning glass houses, I am careful about criticizing others; however, . . .

BlackJack7
BlackJack7 09/22/11 - 06:12 am
My ex-wife once did the same

My ex-wife once did the same stupid crap....send $3000 to somebody in Philly she doesnt even know (no car I might add) from an ebay ad after I told her find one LOCALLY or within reasonable driving distance!!
Never ever ever ever EVER send money for a vehicle you cannot touch, feel nor test drive!!! Sadly, common sense aint common to everyone....

david jennings
david jennings 09/22/11 - 06:25 am
Surely there are cars in the

Surely there are cars in the csra that one can see,touch and test drive.I cant believe there are people this naive.

madgerman
madgerman 09/22/11 - 07:00 am
As we are a country of laws,

As we are a country of laws, and the justice department is well aware of the Cameroon scams, why haven't they placed a law that any transaction with that country must be held in suspension for 30 days. That way the bank transfers would be able to be scrutinized before payment. If Cameroon dosen't like it, maybe they will do something to halt this ongoing problem.

wondersnevercease
wondersnevercease 09/22/11 - 07:37 am
Another law is not

Another law is not needed...just more common sense........................

Chillen
Chillen 09/22/11 - 08:27 am
No comment. Words can't even

No comment. Words can't even express what I'm thinking.

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/22/11 - 08:38 am
Remember the Readers Digest

Remember the Readers Digest sweepstakes...how many oldies were taken by that...I know one ...so sad she was a very trusting lady...she really believed she had won millions...& they kept stringing her along.....finally her children put a stop to the madness..

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 09/22/11 - 08:47 am
Patty, we didn't remove any

Patty, we didn't remove any of your comments from this story.

Farmboy
Farmboy 09/22/11 - 09:04 am
May the good Lord help and

May the good Lord help and keep the individual who ever pulls a prank like this on me.

treetopyoung
treetopyoung 09/22/11 - 10:18 am
Never accept a car "shipped"

Never accept a car "shipped" from anywhere..like on craigslist it tell you never to do that..I saw one on there and reported it. I am so sorry about this loss

SCyankee
SCyankee 09/22/11 - 10:58 am
@raul: so you need names to

@raul: so you need names to invoke common sense?

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 09/22/11 - 06:21 pm
Sometimes, education is

Sometimes, education is really costly. I hope this lady recovers her money, and gains some wisdom from this unfortunate experience.
As to Cameron, there are millions out there just like him/her. Hope he gets a paid vacation to the worst facility in Georgia.

Vito45
Vito45 09/22/11 - 11:06 am
Craig: Vito45, "I recognize a

Craig: Vito45,

"I recognize a rhetorical question when I see it.

There is something particularly unseemly about hustlers' "working" the ignorant, the naive and the stupid."

Oops Craig, you missed on that one, it was not rhetorical. I think one of the proper functions of government is to protect us from each other. There is no way that even the brightest of us can operate on the theory of "caveat emptor" without getting hosed some times. I was just interested in what the forum group at large thought about it.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 09/22/11 - 11:06 am
I'da never seen it comin'.

I'da never seen it comin'. I'da trusted 'em, too. Somebody loan me $1,000. until my uncle straighten's up! He's spineless ya know.

allhans
allhans 09/22/11 - 11:11 am
This is why our email fills

This is why our email fills up with spam.

kiwiinamerica
kiwiinamerica 09/22/11 - 12:33 pm
Very pleased to see gracious

Very pleased to see gracious American people on Augusta Chronicle. My name is Ignatius Odinga and I live in Nigeria. I wish to share with you my good fortune as I have recently been the beneficiary of a rather large sum of money to the tune of $650, 000 American dollars and your name was mentioned to me by an old friend of yours, as being someone trustworthy...................

Hello..........hello...............are you still there??

burninater
burninater 09/22/11 - 01:36 pm
Not sure what the difference

Not sure what the difference is between selling this fraudulent vehicle vs. selling mortgage-backed securities with fraudulent risk ratings.

Oh, that's right, in the latter case they regulate themselves because then it's a "freer" market.

It's fraud until you've bought the regulatory apparatus wholesale and convinced some poor wealth-worshippers to vote themselves into your pockets ... then it's caveat emptor. Gotta love it.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 09/22/11 - 06:23 pm
Sadly, kiwi, yes, there are

Sadly, kiwi, yes, there are many there.