Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

North Augusta shoplifting suspect ticketed for carrying concealed weapon

Tuesday, Sept. 20, 2011 7:34 AM
Last updated 7:20 PM

NORTH AUGUSTA — A suspected shoplifter was ticketed for carrying a concealed weapon Monday after North Augusta Public Safety officers said they pulled a knife with a 7-inch blade from her pocketbook.

Shontatece Houston, 18, was caught walking out of Walmart about 10:25 a.m. with a set of video baby monitors worth $278, according to a report.

The knife was found in her pocketbook after Houston, of the 2200 block of Basswood Drive, was arrested on suspicion of shoplifting.

billyjones1949
billyjones1949 09/20/11 - 08:20 am
I wonder if it was a steak

I wonder if it was a steak knife. 18 and baby monitors, what a shame to have children at that age and a shoplifting record to go along with it.

wondersnevercease
wondersnevercease 09/20/11 - 08:42 am
"Shontatece Houston, 18, was

"Shontatece Houston, 18, was caught walking out of Wal-Mart around 10:25 a.m. with a set of video baby monitors worth $278, according to a report."

Looks like she went for the most expensive ones in the store.....greedy too.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 09/20/11 - 10:26 am
Where did all of this begin?

Where did all of this begin? We are paying the price for the breakdown of the family. Government has worked hard to create dependency in this nation and people have willingly been led to the slaughter.

billcass
billcass 09/20/11 - 12:15 pm
Willow you are absolutely

Willow you are absolutely correct. This girl is 18, and already has at least one child, if not more. While I don't know her, statistically the odds show that her mother was likely a single parent, and her dad is nowhere to be found. The problem is multi faceted, and not limited to the government as father mind set, but that has certainly contributed greatly to the problem.

Vito45
Vito45 09/20/11 - 12:24 pm
Willow, that is the 800lb

Willow, that is the 800lb gorilla in the room no one wants to talk about, because inevitably you have to bring in welfare, cultural effects/differences that will be construed as racist, bigoted, pick a card out of the deck. Some people will probably deserve to get that card pulled on them too. Until we are willing to be intellectually honest about root causes, it will not improve.

stillamazed
stillamazed 09/20/11 - 01:54 pm
Agree to all......honestly,

Agree to all......honestly, when will it ever end?

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 09/20/11 - 02:19 pm
Absolutely, Vito 45. And I

Absolutely, Vito 45. And I add to your last sentence, intellectually, emotionally and spiritually honest about root causes.

bill cass is right, multi faceted. In a nutshell, I believe it begins with a lack of proper foundation, moves to a wrong focus and ends with being allowed or enabled to avoid personal responsibility. I think we can see our government and citizens at work in every area of decline.

Unfortunately, the logical outcome appears the problems are going to grow exponentially given the added burden of a severely declining economy of the likes this generation has never seen. Added again to this problem is the lack of responsibility being taken by politicians who instead try to avoid the heat by fanning the fires of the haves vs. the have nots.

Our government has created a monster within welfare that in all fairness, had no idea it was creating. We say the give away's should end, but are we prepared for the aftermath of that reality?

Whether we desire the end of entitlement or not, at this rate, that well must eventually run dry. At that time, we will have no choice other than to arm ourselves and defend our own lives and property.

Cassandra Harris
Cassandra Harris 09/20/11 - 10:05 pm
Sooooo......AC - she was

Sooooo......AC - she was arrested for the knife, but wasn't arrested for shoplifting almost $300 worth of goods? Excellent and clear reporting as usual.

News flash! The article has been updated since this was posted. Seems she was stealing $300 worth of goods and had a weapon on her but she was only ticketed? I just curious if they would have just ticketed her had that weapon which was capable of being used to kill someone had have been marijuana which kills no one in stead. Things that make you go hmmm.....

Vito45
Vito45 09/20/11 - 02:45 pm
Willow, I would like to see

Willow, I would like to see graphs covering the past 50-60 years illustrating government entitlement growth vs growth in illegitimate birth rates broken down demographically. I would wager anyone dinner at their favorite restaurant that increases of illegitimate births among the poor tracks closely with Johnson's Great Society initiative. As I've stated here before, my own niece was encouraged and enabled by the system to leave home, get pregnant, and generally walk down the wrong path rather than live by mom and dad's rules. (not onerous or super strict by any stretch, and NO physical abuse. We would have provided her shelter in that case) .
The root causes are not as simple as I state here, there are many; but destruction of the family unit, aided gy a government that indirectly encourages it, is the biggest culprit IMO. The next big culprit is two parents working, and kids not having at least one at home all the time when they are not in school, or raising them full time before they are old enough to go to school. The reasons behind that are a whole 'nuther topic we could discuss forever.

Bottom line; unless and until we can stop teenage promiscuity, and re-instill commitment to two parent families, it will only continue to degenerate.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 09/20/11 - 02:59 pm
agree, agree, agree, Vito45

agree, agree, agree, Vito45 with everything you say. It will never be perfect, but works the best when we get the relationships right. Nice when husbands/wives and dads/moms get the picture. Marriage is our fourth most important relationship and children are the fifth.

david jennings
david jennings 09/20/11 - 03:08 pm
Willow I agree with you and

Willow I agree with you and the last paragraph,the well will eventually run dry and yes lets hope they havent taken our weapons away.

wondersnevercease
wondersnevercease 09/20/11 - 04:15 pm
Read it again

Read it again cassandra...........

billcass
billcass 09/20/11 - 04:33 pm
While the multi-generational

While the multi-generational single parent aspect cannot be ignored, let's also admit that we as a society have failed these people. Tim Keller, a pastor and author has written a wonderful book called "Generous Justice." He points out that most of us (myself included) will criticize people left and right for the "choices" they make, but none of us will move into the inner city and help them make better choices. We prefer to put money in the offering plate for "missions" instead of lending a hand to help people learn how to break the vicious cycle. That does not excuse the behavior by any means, but it does point out that the problem is not as simple as "why don't the poor just quit making babies and get a job?" mentality that permeates the conversation.

Vito45
Vito45 09/20/11 - 05:26 pm
Bill, I don't intend this as

Bill, I don't intend this as pointed or sarcastic; but how, precisely, does the pastor propose that you and I "help" them make better choices? Why does he think anyone in their right mind would voluntarily move into what amounts to a war zone? And, how would the mere fact of our existence within the 'hood make a difference? Some do have that calling and go in harm's way all over the world, but those Mother Teresas are few and far between. If simply having those who don't know better living around those that do, then section 8 housing in better neighbordhoods should have an impact. I have no information that says it does or does not, but anecdotal evidence suggests it does not.

Edited to add: Additional evidence that it does not is illustrated by the demise of once "clean" neighborhoods as low income people start moving in. If his theory was accurate, those first folks moving in would get influenced/transformed by the majority of the "do-rights" already living there. They don't, and as more "do wrongs" move in, the "do rights" move out.

Edit again: I'm just sitting here trying to think about what people need to make better choices. I can only speak for myself, but growing up I had to look no further than my eyes could see to realize I wanted a better life financially than my mother and grandmother were able to provide. We never went hungry, but two pairs of jeans and one pair of new shoes a tthe beginnong of the school year had to last. An Oxford style shirt cost a couple of dollars more than the cheap, thin plaid things like you see at todays stores ending with "mart", but the thin plaid things were what we got because that was what we could afford. While my contemporaries were getting baseball bats and gloves, I had to borrow if I played. Play in the band? Nope, could not afford an instrument. I own exactly two yearbooks.
I did get off track for lack of direction (no male figure to kick my butt when needed), but I eventually got back on track because the school of hard knocks still wasn't teaching me how to afford those Oxford shirts. After making a couple more awful decisions I decided I could sink or swim and swim was the better option. With family help and student loan debt, I completed my GED and got into college. I have a closet full of Oxford shirts now of every color and pattern, and still have lived well enough within my means to save and invest 15% of my salary for a lot of years.

So, I guess the bottom line is, it is hard for me to understand why people need any outside incentive at all to want better for themselves. Back in the day you either did better or starved, and if you wanted bling you had to EARN it.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 09/20/11 - 05:33 pm
billcase, I like your post.

billcase, I like your post. Sounds like a book I would enjoy. I completely agree, I left big religion a long time ago and became part of a small church who offers support to those strugggling. We work on that viscious cycle of codependency and other dysfunctional beliefs, attitudes and behaviors.

I constantly feel like I could always serve more, but have to also remember that my first responsibility is to my own family.

I agree with your last line about the wagging finger and also just throwing money at the problem doesn't fix anything either.

I've learned the only lasting difference in anyone's life comes through investing our time in a relationship with them. I've gotten to know some wonderful people who have enriched my life as much or more than I have them. When we leave this earth, the only thing we will take with us are our relationships.

Vito45
Vito45 09/20/11 - 05:38 pm
Willow, I applaud your

Willow, I applaud your investing time in relationships, but how do you translate that into reaching out to some kid in the inner city who is doing drugs, commiting crime, etc.? I just can't seem to make that connection; perhaps my own experience has my thoughts jaded and biased.

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/20/11 - 05:41 pm
vito....I'm in lockstep with

vito....I'm in lockstep with your post at 626pm...PERFECT.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 09/20/11 - 06:12 pm
Vito, I am interested to see

Vito, I am interested to see billcase's response to you. In the meantime, I will tell you that while I have served in shelters and girls club, scouting, and jail visitations,etc, I have not been in what would be considered the hood..

Where I serve, people come to us. We believe one must believe they have a struggle and be willing to seek help in order to be helped. If you don't believe you have a problem, you are certainly not going to be interested in a solution.

Another interesting point of discussion along these same lines, is the church. Look at all the money and time invested in programs virtually to entertain members and hook them into membership and giving. And to what end?

Discipleship has been thrown out the window for more self gratifying events. If more churches knew how to disciple their membership, their members would be fit to disciple the lost and hurting. It was the churches who cared for the poor, the orphans, the widows, the homeless, the fatherless, and the abused. Many have abdicated their responsibility to the government and it is not working. Let me mention, discipling isn't about preaching and beatings with scriptures and judgment as you say a whole" nuther subject".

Most of us will never be called to do great things, but we have all been called to do something.

If everyone of us, discipled through Recovery, just one person, what a difference we would make in many lives. Someone invested in me, I was discipled/recovered, I invested in others who in turn invested in others....it multiplies to combat dysfunctional living.

As to your personal story, don't you think society has lost the model of the work ethic where families have been given lifelong welfare? They say neccessity is the mother of all inventions, I say she births the jobs and work ethic, too.

Perhaps, we should both read the book, billcase spoke about. Let me know if you do.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 09/20/11 - 06:24 pm
Vito, I want to go back to

Vito, I want to go back to your line... "So, I guess the bottom line is, it is hard for me to understand why people need any outside incentive at all to want better for themselves."

Obviously, I don't know your mother or grandmother, but I can tell you that someone either one of them or another role model, invested something wonderful into you for you to be the man (husband/father/citizen) that I believe you are today. There are people in dreadful places without anyone capable of investing anything worthwhile in their lives who then become hardened through the pain and extremely difficult to reach, thus birthing the sick cycles of living from one generation to the next. (Hurting people hurt people.)

As to serving in the trenches, I don't believe we are all called to the same places. And that may not be your area, but there are plenty of other places for you to make a wonderful difference in many lives. You may just need some help getting plugged in.

GGpap
GGpap 09/20/11 - 08:22 pm
18 year old woman steasl $278

18 year old woman steasl $278 set of video baby monitors. period.

Yet she has already been found guilty of having a child (or perhaps more), having them out of wedlock, having no husband, not knowing who the child/s father was, no father or her own, a victim of President Johnson's "Great Society," and greedy.

D@mn you folks read a lot into a very limited bit of news!

Sheesh!

GGpap

Vito45
Vito45 09/20/11 - 09:03 pm
Willow, I think you said it

Willow, I think you said it all when you said you served in places where people wanted help. That is where a difference is made IMO. Those people realize there is better for them and are willing to help themselves. I will extend a hand to folks like that every time, but I have a hard time rationalizing assisatnce for those who don't want to help themselves; who would rather play the system; lie, cheat, steal; anything but make an honest dollar. Those making an honest dollar will get extra from me every time, because I do have a little more to spare than they do.

dichotomy
dichotomy 09/20/11 - 10:15 pm
"the problem is not as simple

"the problem is not as simple as "why don't the poor just quit making babies and get a job?" mentality that permeates the conversation."

The problem is not that simple but if you look at that as the solution it is about as simple as it gets. You can debate all you want about how things got this way but I no longer care. I can tell you this. It is not because we haven't spent enough money. It is not because we don't have enough subsidy programs. It is not because we don't spend enough on education. It is not because we don't have enough preference programs. And it definitely is not because of a lack of opportunity. Some people have the backbone to get off of their rear ends and better themselves. Some do not. Those who do not will always be with us. The only question that remains is how much $ will we dole out to them to keep them where they won't bother us. Of course we kind of screwed that up when we invented Section 8. Fifty years of the War on Poverty and the people paying all of the bills are the ones getting killed. The people who were poor are still poor because many of them make a career of being that way. Poverty is not a condition, it is a way of life.

wondersnevercease
wondersnevercease 09/20/11 - 10:46 pm
"18 year old woman steasl

"18 year old woman steasl $278 set of video baby monitors. period."

...no gpap she was also charged with a concealed weapons charge...now I am sure she was gonna eat dinner with that knife in her purse..just in case there was nothing with which to cut her meat up (???).............I mean we all carry around extra cultlery for emergencies..right?....but other than that yeah I think you summed up the conclusions pretty well.......It ain't rocket science you know.

Vito45
Vito45 09/20/11 - 11:05 pm
When does a knife become a

When does a knife become a concealed weapon? Is a hunting knife in a scabbard hidden by my Camo shirt considered to be a concealed weapon?