Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Augusta landlord reports attack while seeking rent

Tuesday, Sept. 20, 2011 7:44 AM
Last updated 6:08 PM

A landlord seeking rent Monday said she was struck in the throat and punched in the neck at a house on the 2100 block of Alfred Lane.

The victim, Linda Kitchens, told deputies that she was discussing the overdue rent with Melanie Kaye Love when Love attacked her, a Richmond County sheriff’s report states.

Love, however, maintained that Kitchens came into her house without permission and refused to leave without the rent so she “escorted” Kitchens out of the house, a report states.

Kitchens was instructed on how to press charges.

fd1962
fd1962 09/20/11 - 08:04 am
Great journalism, Chronicle.

Great journalism, Chronicle. You can ride this all the way to the Ga. Press Association 'awards.'

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/20/11 - 08:14 am
Free housing EVERYWHERE!!!

Free housing EVERYWHERE!!!

rmwardsr
rmwardsr 09/20/11 - 08:21 am
I know i will get censored

I know i will get censored for this, but this is just another case of Obama welfare mentality. Someone thinks they are owed a place to live just because the landlord was fortunate enough to make an investment at some point that allowed them to be able to have property available to rent to people like this. My father owned rental property and if all the nogoods that had sob stories when the rent came due had actually paid him, he would have been able to retire a lot earlier. That is one reason I have no desire to be a landlord. And Obama is pushing this class warfare mentality with his "soak the rich" schemes.

Craig Spinks
Craig Spinks 09/20/11 - 08:38 am
While some of Us, the People,

While some of Us, the People, excoriate the POTUS as well as various and sundry politicos and their blood-sucking lobbyist-"friends," we might do well to look into our respective mirrors and ask ourselves, "To what extent have I succeeded in instilling in my children, grandchildren, nieces, nephews, cousins, neighbors et al. the notion that, in the overwhelming majority of situations in a functional adult world, a person deserves and will get only what s/he earns?" To the extent that one has been unsuccessful in his/her efforts, might I challenge one to mind one's own business before venturing into the public world with credible commentary.

BamaMan
BamaMan 09/20/11 - 08:44 am
Craig, those people dont CARE

Craig, those people dont CARE what they are instilling in their children. They are the "entitled" bunch, and work hard to keep the momentum going.

rmwardsr
rmwardsr 09/20/11 - 08:50 am
Craig Spinks wrote:"might I

Craig Spinks wrote:"might I challenge one to mind one's own business before venturing into the public world with credible commentary." I do not know if this is directed toward my post, but since this article was put into my business, I found no other option but to comment on it. For those people who have lost their homes due to job loss or some other event beyond their control, I am very compassionate. But for those who live off the system, and thinks we, the American working taxpaying public owe them something, I have no compassion at all.

billyjones1949
billyjones1949 09/20/11 - 09:39 am
Bama Man, you are so right.

Bama Man, you are so right. If they cared they would do something about their situation and quit having babies they can not take care of. We are not their keeper. And Craig, I would instill in all children that nobody owes you anything and that to be counted as something in this world you have to take care of yourself otherwise people see you in a different and not so good way. Rmwardsr I too feel sorry for those working people who have fallen on hard times with job loses but not for the people living on taxpayer money.

stillamazed
stillamazed 09/20/11 - 09:40 am
I agree rmwardsr, that is a

I agree rmwardsr, that is a big part of the problem in the country now. Sorry people sitting on their behinds waiting for a hand out, something for free while the rest of us work for a living. If I own property and I am renting it then I deserve to collect my rent, a landlord is not responsible for providing free rent to anyone. I would guess that this story played out just as the landlord stated and she should file charges and give the woman an eviction notice.

ssgmcneill
ssgmcneill 09/20/11 - 09:43 am
welfare and entitlement is

welfare and entitlement is not limited to just "Obama" Welfare has been around for a long time. As for entitlement, America is a country that is now built on entitlement. Just look at reality TV. Also, have you ever traveled abroad and witnessed the actions of some Americans? It's deplorable. Not sure when it happened but we became a country of "where is mine too" rather than a country of "what do I have to do in order to get that?". It is not limited to just Welfare either. if you look at the housing market crash, it can be linked to people believing they were entitled to the american dream. Employees of banks and on Wallstreet believed they should be wealthy and they took shortcuts in order to get there. all this resulted from amercians believing in they were entitled to something. there is no "class warfare" in the US. If there is, it started a long time ago. the wealthiest americans have been all but too willing to cut government programs that help those in need in favor of cutting their taxes and they have been than too willing to take advantage of the less fortunate in order to succeed.

Realitystrikes
Realitystrikes 09/20/11 - 10:01 am
@rmwardsr..What is Obama

@rmwardsr..What is Obama welfare mentality? Are you referring to people that recieve WELFARE from the state of GEORGIA...If so I agree with you...looking at this chart for the state of Georgia 61% of aide goes to white families and 35.5% to black families and like BamaMan says those people dont care i mean after all 61% ....is there anything left for other races....

Its probably even higher now GOOD GRIEF...It is said among minorities that a certain group of people think they are entitled ...I guess thats why they like to say minorities are THOSE PEOPLE on welfare...because they want it all for themselves...WHAT do "YALL" THINK

rmwardsr
rmwardsr 09/20/11 - 10:08 am
Realitystrikes: You are

Realitystrikes: You are absolutely right. The majority of the people my father rented to were white, and they were the ones he always had problems collecting the rent from. I don't know which ones were actually on welfare, but they had no problem keeping themselves supplied with beer and cigarrettes, while having no visible means of support.

billyjones1949
billyjones1949 09/20/11 - 10:11 am
Realitystrikes, I don't care

Realitystrikes, I don't care what percentage of what percentage gets welfare. It has to be decreased or we are in big trouble. What matters is what percentage of the total population as a group of whites are on welfare and what percentage of blacks are on welfare.

Realitystrikes
Realitystrikes 09/20/11 - 10:16 am
@rmwardsr dont get me wrong

@rmwardsr dont get me wrong that works both ways and the minority do have a problem within OUR community that needs to be addressed..It just IRKS the heck out of me when people want to blame one group of people....PERSONALLY I think that everyone should receive aide that really needs it HOWEVER I believe it should be a loan that has to be paid back 100% and SS# should be used to track who OWES what...NOTHING FREE...Split among both parents and if the father is unknown the the mother bares the burden or I would deny aide if they dont know who the father is...NO SYMPATHY FOR BABIES HAVING BABIES ....SORRY and I have four(4)GIRLS....!

justthefacts
justthefacts 09/20/11 - 10:18 am
According to Realitystrikes,

According to Realitystrikes, "Multiracial" is definitely the hardest working group of Americans. At least that was the case back in 2003.

Realitystrikes
Realitystrikes 09/20/11 - 10:20 am
@billyjones1949 ...Maybe U

@billyjones1949 ...Maybe U should care..I agree It has to be decreased or we are in big trouble...but that other mess is FOOLISHNES...!

Realitystrikes
Realitystrikes 09/20/11 - 10:21 am
@justthefacts Maybe..since

@justthefacts Maybe..since they get scrutunized the most

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 09/20/11 - 10:23 am
It's not only entitlement

It's not only entitlement thinking that has changed the rental market, it is the overwhelming usage of drugs, both legal and illegal. It has become very unsafe to collect rent in person and as a result, many people have gotten out of investment property ownership.

Craig, you may want to consider some help, you sound like you are
about to crack:)

ssgmcneill
ssgmcneill 09/20/11 - 10:28 am
This is the problem. I am

This is the problem. I am twenty 29 years old and I have worked hard to make a living for me and my family. Early on in life I made some bad decisions and had to ask my grandfather for money to help me out. while speaking to him, i cried about asking for help and promised myself i will never ask him for anything ever again. however, i have family members who beg both my grandfather and me when they need money but never pay us back. that is the problem.

Jane18
Jane18 09/20/11 - 10:29 am
I have always known and told

I have always known and told people that there are more white people with their hand(s) extended for something, anything, for the government to give them.Right now, there are two related to me(cousins-one collecting overdue unemployment,the other an undeserved disability check), and it has not made any difference for me to report them. I have nothing good to say about anyone that lies for money and other benefits. To me, they are a liar and a thief. The LOVE of money is the root all evil.................and that's the truth!

stillamazed
stillamazed 09/20/11 - 10:29 am
Realitystrikes so you say 61%

Realitystrikes so you say 61% of Whites are on welfare, and 35.5% of blacks, however the white population is in the country is somewhere around 223,553,265 and the black population is 38,929,319 so you do the math.......truth is that it doesn't matter to me what color the skin is. My problem is supporting other people who have no desire to work and take care of themselves and sitting back and letting the governement and hard working tax payers take care of them. The entitlements need to stop.

Realitystrikes
Realitystrikes 09/20/11 - 10:33 am
@Willow Could you explain

@Willow Could you explain your first statement...just curious and i agree i would use a rental agency .....I realize many people have lost thier jobs and some their houses...but is anyone aware of these baloon payments that the banks have put in these contracts hoping you cant afford your house....How many people have lost thier house because of this...PLENTY....I know people whose payment have gone up as much as 500$ dollars..Yea i can afford $1300 amonth but not $1800...not saying this has happened to me..but i know people who have falling victim to this BANK SCAM......

justthefacts
justthefacts 09/20/11 - 10:37 am
realitystrikes, how is the

realitystrikes, how is the scenario you mentioned above a scam? Balloon and adjustable rate mortgages are agreed to in advance by the buyers.

Realitystrikes
Realitystrikes 09/20/11 - 10:42 am
@ ssgmcneill...Lessoned

@ ssgmcneill...Lessoned learned...Dont ever loan money to anyone if you cant honestly say(to yourself)Here ...its not a loan its a gift because if you really need them to pay you back...you cant afford to lend it out..!

@stillamazed... Reality is everyone is not as fortunate as you or I and do fall on really hard times and again i say benefits should be considered loans and should be paid back 100%..We are still americans and should look out for one another

stillamazed
stillamazed 09/20/11 - 10:43 am
Realitystrikes, you are

Realitystrikes, you are correct, alot of people's payment ballooned but they knew it was going to happen, it was in their contract. The banks new that the people would not be able to pay when they loaned the the money but the Clinton administration was putting pressure on Fannie Mae and other banking institutions to give the loans anyway and look what has happened. I feel so sorry for people who lost their homes but it isn't the landlords fault that they can't pay rent, nor is it their responsibility to give them a free place to stay.

InChristLove
InChristLove 09/20/11 - 10:44 am
...but is anyone aware of

It is sad but people need to be responsible or have someone they trust to help them understand any contract before you sign it, especially when buying a home. Do some research on how balloon payments work. This just seems like a matter of responsibility that goes along with making a purchase. Make sure you know what you are getting into.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 09/20/11 - 10:53 am
Realitystrikes, I'm not sure

Realitystrikes, I'm not sure what you want me to explain. My statement says drug usage has made it dangerous for landlords to go in person to collect rent. People who are on drugs behave in ways they would not otherwise behave.

As to balloon payments, a legitimate bank is certainly not interested in anyone's foreclosures. Banks lose money big time on homes they have to resale.

Balloon payments serve a legitimate purpose on some loans, but only if the person has the ability to deal with the payment once it becomes due.

As to people getting hoodwinked into such practices, we all have to take responsibility for what we do and sign.

Losing a home is not the worst thing that can happen. If one is living their life in great debt and misery, it would be better to let it go and start over.

Realitystrikes
Realitystrikes 09/20/11 - 10:57 am
All i am saying as far as

All i am saying as far as balloon payments go is ... they should be illegal and done away with..If its $1300 amonth...let it be that...if its $1800 let it be that.....

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 09/20/11 - 11:00 am
ssgmcneil, I feel for you.

ssgmcneil, I feel for you. What you are describing is a boundary issue;

1) Not knowing where your responsibilities begin and where they end
2) And how to be helpful without being taken advantage of

If you read, start with, "Boundaries" by Dr. John Townsend. It should change your life.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 09/20/11 - 11:04 am
P.S. Other Boundary books by

P.S. Other Boundary books by Dr. Townsend include:

Boundaries in Dating
Boundaries in Marriage
Boundaries with Kids

stillamazed
stillamazed 09/20/11 - 11:06 am
The truth is that alot of

The truth is that alot of these people did not have to lose their homes, if they were making the payments each month at their current rate, would the banks not have come out better by allowing them to continue paying at that rate, instead of foreclosing on them? To me greed had alot to do with the collapse.