Drug deal turns violent, police say

Monday, Aug 29, 2011 8:59 AM
Last updated 6:28 PM

An attempted drug buy ended in violence Sunday when the buyer and the dealer were cut with a knife and clubbed with a crowbar, a Richmond county sheriff’s report states.

Deputies were sent to River Glen Apartments on the 200 block of Telfair Street around 5 a.m. to investigate a complaint about someone getting hit in the head with a crowbar.

The complainant, Kashif Jackson, 27, reportedly said he was trying to buy some cocaine when the dealer became angry for an “unknown reason” and struck him with a crowbar. Jackson was treated for minor injuries.

The deputy found the alleged attacker, Jeffery Sams, on the 100 block of Walker Street, where he was walking around with a large white towel wrapped around his head. Sams said he refused to sell cocaine to Jackson, who then cut him in the face with a knife, according to a report.

Sams, who was also treated for his injuries, responded by hitting Jackson in the head with the crowbar, a report states. Both subjects, who were “very intoxicated,” planned to press charges, a deputy said.

Comments (16)

blakkone
blakkone 08/29/11 - 09:22 am

And the hits just keep

And the hits just keep coming...

urright
urright 08/29/11 - 10:26 am

I see what you did there,

I see what you did there, blakkone...hits. Good one.

Iwannakno
Iwannakno 08/29/11 - 10:49 am

Violent crimes are down in

Violent crimes are down in Augusta...I know I heard that somewhere...

Patty-P
Patty-P 08/29/11 - 11:50 am

So neither were arrested?

So neither were arrested? Why did they call the po po in the first place?

blakkone
blakkone 08/29/11 - 12:16 pm

I mean really? Only in

I mean really? Only in River Glen will you find sosomeone calling the cops and telling them you were trying to buy crack. And on and the dealer walking down the street with an open knife would with a towel on his head. Im sorry but this is comedy.

Patty-P
Patty-P 08/29/11 - 12:51 pm

Augusta needs a reality tv

Augusta needs a reality tv show. Some of this stuff is entertaining.

cityman
cityman 08/29/11 - 01:03 pm

Those River Glen conditions

Those River Glen conditions are being allowed to happen. Who is making the big drug bucks in Richmond County? I bet that outwardly they appear to be an outstanding law abiding citizen.

Patty-P
Patty-P 08/29/11 - 01:15 pm

cityman....I'm wondering the

cityman....I'm wondering the same. Something just doesn't seem right with the drug issues in this county.

traumaqueen
traumaqueen 08/29/11 - 02:12 pm

A drug deal in River Glen,

A drug deal in River Glen, government housing, say it ain't so. They have no money for food, rent, medical, etc... ALL of this is provided by the govt. BUT they have money for drugs?!?! SHOCKING I SAY! Just more incentive to drug test those who receive government assistance.

Patty-P
Patty-P 08/29/11 - 09:33 pm

...so myfather15, as a deputy

...so myfather15, as a deputy who has seen this, why is this being allowed to happen?

billyjones1949
billyjones1949 08/29/11 - 10:44 pm

Patty, there is so much of

Patty, there is so much of thr drug dealing in that area that there is not enough room in the jail for them. Everything that myfather15 said is the truth.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 08/29/11 - 11:40 pm

myfather15 and billyjones1949

myfather15 and billyjones1949 are both being truthful and yet, still, Patty-P still has a valid question. Some answers besides there is not enough room in the jail for them: because people keep buying illegal drugs and, those people and anyone that is related to them, friends with them, works with them, and/or socializes with them, once they have knowledge of the illegal activity and do nothing about it (such as reporting the persons involved in the illegal transactions or making sure that user get into rehab and/or off the drugs), are complicit and compromised. That's a lot of people. When will citizens understand that ignoring a problem does not make it go away?

Craig Spinks
Craig Spinks 08/30/11 - 12:14 am

(M)yfather15, The US

(M)yfather15,

The US Department of Health and Human Services' IG hotline number is:

1-800-HHS-TIPS.

Patty-P
Patty-P 08/30/11 - 04:18 am

billy and autumn I do believe

billy and autumn I do believe everything that myfather15 has said....what catches my attention with this story is the drug deal, but there's also assault with a knife and crow bar, and both were apparently publicly drunk. The combination of all of that and nobody has done anything wrong. I must have missed something somewhere in the story.

billyjones1949
billyjones1949 08/30/11 - 08:21 am

Autumn have you ever tried to

Autumn have you ever tried to help a person on drugs? It is a 24 hour a day project and has effects on your entire family. Everything with them is an emergency. I have and you are fighting a loosing battle once the use starts. IN jail, out of jail, in rehab, out of rehab, in jail, out of jail ant the circle goes around and around. Some get out of thge circle but not many.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/30/11 - 08:32 am

I agree with jones.....It is

I agree with jones.....It is a 24 hour a day job---not pretty-causing many family problems---I have seen it soo many times in families near me------one thing that I have noticed is that MORE boys are having trouble than the girls....& once they are on the drug it takes a miracle to get off.

kiwiinamerica
kiwiinamerica 08/30/11 - 09:51 am

This story is straight out of

This story is straight out of Loony Tunes. A pusher and a junkie get into a fight over an illegal drug deal, then call the cops and there's no mention of any arrests or charges pending against either of them??? Just that the two felons want to press charges against each other?

What am I missing?

I can see the court case now........"your honor, the evidence will show that my client was peacefully and with no malice whatsoever, attempting to purchase his daily crack hit while offering legal tender in the form of American dollars, when he was viciously and violently set upon by the accused and grievously assaulted with a crow bar......"

What a crazy story.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 08/30/11 - 10:43 pm

@myfather15: Your 10:27 post

@myfather15: Your 10:27 post is the most intelligent, sensitive, and truthful post to hit this forum in the last six months. Thank you for sharing your experiences and your opinions. And thank you for your service in law enforcement, so that our society might have a little more time left.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 08/30/11 - 10:47 pm

myfather15 wrote: It actually

myfather15 wrote:

It actually boils down to individual responsibility and accountablility.

Quaint notions, but I subscribe to them. Will anyone else join myfather15 and me?