Grovetown man in jail after neighbor's Chihuahua shot

Friday, Aug 26, 2011 9:31 AM
Last updated 11:18 AM

Man charged for shooting chihuahua

A Grovetown man was arrested Tuesday, more than a week after he allegedly shot his neighbor’s Chihuahua.

Marcus Harvey Thomas, 27, of the 5700 block of Jaime Drive, was charged with aggravated cruelty to animals.

Thomas’ neighbor called police at about noon on Aug. 15 claiming that Thomas shot her small dog. The 34-year-old woman said she heard a gunshot outside her Jaime Drive home and ran to the road, where she found her female mixed-breed Chihuahua in a ditch with gunshot wounds to her neck and side.

The ditch is about 200 yards from Thomas’ home. He admitted to police that he shot the dog. Thomas said he ran the dog away several times after it was in his yard attempting to bite his friends.

At the request of the woman, a sheriff’s deputy used his service weapon to shoot the animal to “keep her dog from suffering.” A Columbia County Animal Services officer told the woman about the leash law. No charges were filed at the time.

Thomas was being held in the Columbia County Detention Center on Friday on a $5,100 bond, according to jail records.

Cadence
Cadence 08/26/11 - 09:44 am
Sad story. People need to

Sad story. People need to keep their guns in their holster until a serious threat presents itself. Not a little dog.

leeajtish
leeajtish 08/26/11 - 09:57 am
If the dog was attempting to

If the dog was attempting to bite he should have been put down. Why wasn't the dog in the owners yard anyway?

broad street narrow mind
broad street narrow mind 08/26/11 - 10:11 am
he could have called police

he could have called police instead of shooting the dog. where am i?

happychimer
happychimer 08/26/11 - 10:11 am
Has he ever complained to his

Has he ever complained to his neighbor about her dog?He was wrong to shoot that dog. He has no respect for life. I can't say on here what I really think of him, because I would be banned. But I am sure you know how I feel about this situation. I love animals and don't like anyone who is cruel to animals.

TrukinRanger
TrukinRanger 08/26/11 - 10:12 am
If her dog was out, she was

If her dog was out, she was in the wrong for that- however, if the dog was out without her knowledge he could have tried (1) knocked on her door to tell her (2) called animal control. There was no need for him to shoot a little chihuahua. I seriously doubt his life was threatened. If it had been a larger breed dog- especially a breed known for aggression then it would be a different story.

stillamazed
stillamazed 08/26/11 - 10:50 am
He indeed should not have

He indeed should not have shot the dog but in the same token owners of dogs and cats need to be responsible and keep them on their own property, if they can't do that then they don't need a dog. I hate it when a loose dog comes in my yard and I hate it when neighborhood cats come and sit on my car and scratch it up. And no I don't hate animals, I love them and have been a pet owner but a responsible one.

wondersnevercease
wondersnevercease 08/26/11 - 10:54 am
perhaps he'll get street cred

perhaps he'll get street cred for killing a tiny dog..............

SteveCagle
SteveCagle 08/26/11 - 10:56 am
Horrible neighbor and

Horrible neighbor and horrible pet owner. A gun on a Chihuahua? Really? I bet his friends were afraid for their lives...

Dan White 08/26/11 - 11:18 am
There are good reasons for

There are good reasons for the leash law, but two wrongs don't make a right. The gunman should have called animal control (if he didn't) and let the authorities handle it instead of being a vigilante. The owner should have abided by the leash law.

Vito45
Vito45 08/26/11 - 11:20 am
This is purely disgusting. I

This is purely disgusting. I had an Akita jump my dog and almost kill him. That same Akita was loose again in my yard and threatened me when I tried to shoo him away. I gave the neighbor fair warning that I feared for my own safety and by the time I come back out with my gun the dog had better be gone. I WOULD have shot that dog. But a Chihuahua? Come on!

broad street narrow mind
broad street narrow mind 08/26/11 - 11:20 am
right. leash laws are

right. leash laws are reasonable because dogs can be dangerous or just a nuisance. a dangerous dog off leash would justify shooting if getting away from it to call the cops was impossible or if it was going to hurt someone else. i don't think a chihuahua can reasonably be considered dangerous, and shooting a nuisance is not reasonable.

Dan White 08/26/11 - 11:23 am
Good point narrow mind.

Good point narrow mind.

butterflygina
butterflygina 08/26/11 - 11:23 am
Tiny dog?? It doesn't matter.

Tiny dog?? It doesn't matter. It was a dog. If she still had her teeth, she could still bite. The animal should been kept in her own yard. Bad owner. And of course the shooter may have handled the problem differently if time and circumstances warranted it, but having been chased and terrorized by dogs that owners failed to keep away from us, Im on his side.

butterflygina
butterflygina 08/26/11 - 11:26 am
Just wondering if it will

Just wondering if it will ever be a law against those dogs roaming around moving vehicles....they ought to be in a cage or something when being transported...how the heck you can drive with a dog on your lap if you can't drive with a child (that's not slobbering all over the place and wagging a tail).

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 08/26/11 - 11:30 am
How much damage could a

How much damage could a Chihuahua do? Anyone who would shoot an animal such as this is a coward in my book. I hope the judge throws the book at this wimp and hits him right in his pointed head.
What a wuss. If he had a bazooka he would have probably used it.
These people make me sick. He probably has a very little manhood device that he needed to make up for.
Sicko!

Adder
Adder 08/26/11 - 12:25 pm
Even a small dog can inflict

Even a small dog can inflict a very painful bite and a potentially life-threatining infection or even rabies. I don't understand why the chiuahua's owner hasn't been arrested and charged with cruelty to animals, It was ENTIRELY her fault for allowing the animal to run free against the law. I guess you can't even be safe in your own yard,anymore. I hope the man countersues for false arrest and deprivation of rights under color of law. If you love your animals,OBEY the laws.

InChristLove
InChristLove 08/26/11 - 12:28 pm
This was a "mixed-breed"

This was a "mixed-breed" Chihuahua and how many would be still have the same viewpoint if it was their small child the dog was after? I love animals and am a pet owner myself but small dogs can be just as vicous as large dogs and they all have teeth.

Why did they wait a week before they arrested him? This happened back on Aug. 15th.

urright
urright 08/26/11 - 12:31 pm
Little dogs bite too. I've

Little dogs bite too. I've been bitten by a chihuahua and by a poodle. They hurt just as bad and can get infected just as easily. Just because the dog is small doesn't mean it can terrorize the neighborhood.

allhans
allhans 08/26/11 - 12:36 pm
Most dogs are content to

Most dogs are content to stand with their head out the window. No slobbering or jumping around.
Actually some dogs are better behaved than a lot of people.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 08/26/11 - 12:48 pm
Wondersnevercease

Wondersnevercease wrote:

perhaps he'll get street cred for killing a tiny dog..............

:-)

However, if I am reading between the lines correctly, Mr. Thomas shot the dog, but did not kill it. The article says the woman asked a policeman to shoot the dog to death to put it out of its misery — hence the charge for "aggravated animal cruelty" I guess.

emergencyfan
emergencyfan 08/26/11 - 03:20 pm
I think someone who brings a

I think someone who brings a gun to a Chihuahua fight is overcompensating for something.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 08/26/11 - 03:36 pm
A swift kick in the tail

A swift kick in the tail would have sent a strong enough message.

Just crazy the way folks whip out a gun and start blasting.

Brad

Patty-P
Patty-P 08/26/11 - 04:01 pm
I agree with emerencyfan. He

I agree with emerencyfan. He should have called the pound.

Vito45
Vito45 08/26/11 - 04:06 pm
For Heaven's Sake! IT WAS A

For Heaven's Sake! IT WAS A CHIHUAHUA!! Yes they can draw blood, but they are also very easy to back off with your shoe. Or a broom, or a rolled up piece of paper, or a limb from a bush, a flyswatter, etc, etc. This punk shot the dog out of pure meanness or sport.

Vito45
Vito45 08/26/11 - 04:07 pm
Yes Patty, that is exactly

Yes Patty, that is exactly what should have happened, and let the owner pay the fine.

dstewartsr
20388
dstewartsr 08/26/11 - 04:38 pm
Call the pound? Yeah, right.

Call the pound? Yeah, right. I had not one but TWO pit bulls in my yard, hurling themselves against my screen door. Called the number; they told me to call local law enforcement, and they would determine if they should respond. Cop showed up and sauntered toward my door- until both animals chased his butt back into his cruiser! He at some point called animal control, who, from their response time were in Atlanta. The animal control officer then tried to calm the dogs (good luck with that!) and barely escaped being bitten. After almost an hour, and a total time of three hours from my initial call, the dogs were secured.

The owner picked them up first thing in the morning of the next day.

Call animal control? What an odd notion!

Sweet Tooth
Sweet Tooth 08/26/11 - 05:12 pm
I called Richond County

I called Richond County Animal Control about a pack of killer dogs. I received the following.

1. Call the Sheriff's Office. We are closed.

2. Called the Sheriff's Office. Deputy arrived within 20 minutes. He called the on-call Animal Control officer. Essentially the deputy was told to tell me that Animal Control was closed for the weekend. They would bring out a live trap when one was available.

3. After 13 cats and two puppies were killed in my neighborhood, the trap was delivered.

Animal Control is a joke.

walrus4ever
walrus4ever 08/26/11 - 05:34 pm
As the owner of three

As the owner of three chihuahuas I can tell you they are loving animals and loyal to their owners. However, they are fearless protectors of their territory and will defend with all their might. This fool took it too far and makes me wonder how long it will be before he draws down on a human. He is the lucky one, lucky he wasnt at my home taking shots at my dogs. Otherwise I would be in the slammer. Lastly, anyone who would maim a dog and watch it as it slowly dies is a sociopathic menace.

walrus4ever
walrus4ever 08/26/11 - 05:40 pm
Did this man have a CWP or

Did this man have a CWP or was he a just a thug with a pistol in his drawers? One day he will show it to the wrong person and maybe he cando the dying in the ditch. Good riddance.

FalseHopeLooseChange
FalseHopeLooseChange 08/26/11 - 05:52 pm
"Animal Control is a joke".

"Animal Control is a joke". The biggest joke may what the tax payer is paying and the services provided by the 21 people in AC for RC....

Sounds like too many office people and not enough animal control officers to do the job.....Where's Fred?

Fire Department raises sought

The Augusta Fire Depart­ment will present a pay raise proposal for firefighters and administrators to the county’s public safety committee Monday.