Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Bolar's family calls jail killing 'senseless'

Earl Bolar’s phone call was overdue.

Back | Next
Mattie and Sidney Williams say their son Earl Bolar had his problems but didn't deserve to be beaten to death on the floor of a holding cell at the Richmond County jail.   ZACH BOYDEN-HOLMES/STAFF
ZACH BOYDEN-HOLMES/STAFF

A month had passed since he caved in to his crack addiction and left his mother’s home in Waynesboro, Ga., for the streets of Augusta. Usually, about 30 days would pass before he called home and asked for a ride back to Burke County.

It was with relief at first, then, that Mattie Williams answered the phone and heard a Richmond County sheriff’s investigator on the line. He must be in jail this time, Williams assumed, she said this week.

Then the investigator told her that Bolar had been “hurt real bad.”

“That just blew my mind,” Williams said.

Bolar, 48, had been in jail Aug. 3 when he was beaten in the head while he slept on a holding cell floor, investigators said. Jeremy Gene Taylor, 30, the suspect, had been arrested that morning for breaking an old friend’s jaw with his fist, an arrest report shows.

Bolar was taken to Medical College of Georgia Hospital, but Williams said he was kept alive only by the help of machines until Aug. 15.

“My son died right there,” she said, “before he even got to the hospital.”

The man named as the attacker, Taylor, had two previous attacks with his fists in the past two months, including the one Aug. 3 that landed him in the jail.

On June 26, Taylor was riding in a Ford Crown Victoria with his girlfriend and Ronnie Brown in Kite, about 72 miles southwest of Augusta in Johnson County. As the car crossed a bridge going into Kite, Taylor punched Brown in the face and bit his arm, according to a sheriff’s report.

The car hit the bridge several times as Brown tried to protect himself from the blows, a report states. Taylor’s girlfriend had stayed the night with Brown and his fiancee the night before “because of an assault on her by Mr. Taylor,” the report states.

Taylor was booked and charged with aggravated battery.

On Aug. 3, Taylor was in Augusta at Hale House in the 400 block of Walker Street, a halfway house that provides substance abuse counseling. Drew Roberts was staying at the house and recognized Taylor from high school in Swainsboro.

Roberts said Monday that he was talking with Taylor on Aug. 3 in the rear of the house, then looked down to send a text from his phone. He was suddenly struck in the face by Taylor and knocked out cold in what a Richmond County sheriff’s report says was an unprovoked attack.

Taylor was walking away when Roberts woke up; he was told by a witness that Taylor had hit him four more times while he was unconscious.

“I’ve never had a problem with him,” said Roberts, in a voice muffled by the surgery that wired his jaw shut. “He was never like this, never aggressive.”

Bolar’s family described him as a helpful, upbeat man who struggled with his addictions. His booking photo shows a man with bloodshot eyes, a scraggly beard and a tired expression.

Williams didn’t believe it was her son at first. He was always clean-shaven when his parents went to pick him up at a gas station or a fast-food restaurant.

“He never let us see him in that condition,” Williams said.

Court records show that Bolar has seven Richmond County shoplifting convictions from 1992 to 2009. Mostly he stole from Kroger and Kmart: deodorant, air fresheners, fishing line. He was convicted in 1993 of burglary, but never saw more than a handful of months in jail on the charges against him, including misdemeanor battery, giving a false name and “obscene and vulgar language.”

For years he would drift back home, but he stayed sober for three years the last time. It wouldn’t last. Just like all the times before, he gave no warning he was going to disappear. He just left for classes at Georgia Military College and never returned.

For all his faults, his mother said, he never stole from the family or hurt anyone. To the contrary, he was always willing to lend a hand and a word of encouragement, Williams said.

Even with his living on the streets, Bolar’s family didn’t expect he would die by violence. He was a peacemaker, said his father, Sidney Williams. To have him beaten to death while sleeping on the floor was senseless, he said.

Patty-P
Patty-P 08/23/11 - 06:32 am
With all the bad things

With all the bad things coming from drug use and addicition, for some odd reason people still think it should be made legal. The victim had a drug addiction, and I have no doubt Taylor had an addiction too.

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 08/23/11 - 06:35 am
This was very tragic. My

This was very tragic. My prayers are with his kind and loving family.

Hucklebuck
Hucklebuck 08/23/11 - 07:01 am
Why he didn't deserve to die

Why he didn't deserve to die bad things happen in jail. That's why its called jail. The people who are in there aren't nice folks. That's why you are suppose to stay out of jail.

iLove
iLove 08/23/11 - 08:47 am
Even though he was on drugs

Even though he was on drugs PATTY, does that excuse the actions of that white guy.....I sure would like to see a picture of him on this site. . . .I won't hold my breath though. And people are NOT pushing for Cocaine to be legal . . .who in their right mind would? (1980's) I think the pro drug people are talking about the natural growing herb.

I like how the Chronicle starts the story off with his drug addiction. . . ."shaping the minds of the masses"

Patty-P
Patty-P 08/23/11 - 09:00 am
iLove...no it definitely does

iLove...no it definitely does not excuse the actions of Taylor. No one deserves to be beaten whether on drugs or not. After reading the history of the victim it just bothers me to see people struggle with addictions this way, and I hate to hear people try to convince others that legalizing drugs is the answer to everything. Legalizing pot isn't the answer either. Drugs and crime go together. Legalize pot and we'll still have people slinging everything else on the street. The crackheads and methheads will still roam the streets stealing and prostituting or whatever and we haven't solved any problems. We have enough problems with youth, crime, behavioral problems, h.s. dropouts, and education has declined. Condoning potheads will do nothing to improve the future for our youth and our society as a whole.

iLove
iLove 08/23/11 - 08:52 am
As I re-read the article, I

As I re-read the article, I can't help but have the feeling that the AC wants you to think that this "killing" was justified beacuse of the victim's lifestlye. . . . .REALLY!

The AC is losing it!...well, this is the AC i'm talking about.

iLove
iLove 08/23/11 - 08:55 am
@Patty Thats why the drug

@Patty Thats why the drug CRACK was placed SO HEAVILY in the "hood". Research that and Ronald Regan....COCAINE was moreso for the other crowd...yet, there are stiffer laws for having CRACK, yet, CRACK comes from COCAINE. . . hmm. . . .

GaStang22
GaStang22 08/23/11 - 09:00 am
"that white guy" Isn't that

"that white guy" Isn't that like the same connotations most people on here complain about daily? Why not just say the murdering waste who should be put down like the rabid animal he is? lol I do agree with 2 things you said though. Yes, I still am shocked the AC has not featured "the white guy" mug shot. Appalled to tell you the truth. They are looking like some of the names they are accused of being like daily.

Also, you are correct in your correction of Patty's incorrect assumption, it is natural herb that is being pushed to be legalized as it is a natural and non violent drug, not like the others. If anything that herb brings people together and usually makes people forget why they may have been fighting in the first place!! lol Unlike other drugs that only add fuel to the fire.....especially alcohol... and it is legal!!!

Vito45
Vito45 08/23/11 - 09:00 am
"CRACK was placed SO HEAVILY

"CRACK was placed SO HEAVILY in the "hood".". iLove, please tell me you are not implying there was a deliberate effort to undermine the black community by creating a drug culture among them. Please tell me you don't believe that.

iLove
iLove 08/23/11 - 09:01 am
The article reminds me of how

The article reminds me of how when someone is arrested, we have commentors who post the past criminal record of that person.

Ok as I stay here, I get a sick feeling in my stomach.

iLove
iLove 08/23/11 - 09:03 am
Vito: Step 1: Research it.

Vito: Step 1: Research it. Step 2: Form your OWN opinion AFTER you use critical thinking and research (facts).

iLove
iLove 08/23/11 - 09:05 am
Ga: I agree. . .but why

Ga: I agree. . .but why can't I say it? I mean, it IS protocol on this site right?

Ok, Yall have a good day and don't forget that God allowed you to see this new day. Praise Him!

Patty-P
Patty-P 08/23/11 - 09:06 am
iLove and GaStang22.....there

iLove and GaStang22.....there is no doubt in my mind that marijuana is probably safer than most prescription drugs that folks are becoming addicted to. But even so, if we legalize them what good would we get out of it? Kids skipping school to get high with friends. People high at work - especially the water dept employees. People lighting up in public areas with kids around?

dirtysouthdady
dirtysouthdady 08/23/11 - 09:08 am
TO ALL WHO REPORTED NEGATIVE

TO ALL WHO REPORTED NEGATIVE GET OFF THE DRUGS YOUR ON!. @HUCKLE, NEXT TIME ONE OF YOUR FAMILY MEMBERS GO TO JAIL YOU NEED TO HURRY UP AND GET THEM OUT

Vito45
Vito45 08/23/11 - 09:08 am
"Why not an article on the

"Why not an article on the nut who did the killing. I would like to know more about him and his crazy behind."

The ariticle told us about all we need to know about this criminal and his violent behavior. What more would you like to know?

Vito45
Vito45 08/23/11 - 09:13 am
Hucklebuck said:"The people

Hucklebuck said:"The people who are in there aren't nice folks. That's why you are suppose to stay out of jail."

That was a holding cell Hucklebuck. Someone could be in there for something as simple as unpaid parking tickets or a spat with their spouse.

billyjones1949
billyjones1949 08/23/11 - 09:27 am
If you do drugs you are just

If you do drugs you are just plain nuts. It leads nowhere and you cannot win. ilove, that is a tale you are spinning about crack. It is in the hood because it is cheaper.

david jennings
david jennings 08/23/11 - 10:19 am
I dont smoke pot but why

I dont smoke pot but why would making it legal change anything.After over forty years and billions of $ its just as available as its always has been,and Patty if a kid wants to smoke trust me it being illegal wont slow them down

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 08/23/11 - 10:44 am
The guy should be put to

The guy should be put to death no matter what his race, age, religion, etc. is and so should ALL Violent Criminals such as this - I doubt you will see many calling for that in other cases though.
Patty is correct, drugs lead nowhere positive. Even prescriptions should only be taken if you aren't able to solve the problem another way such as diet and exercise. There is nothing positive for our society that comes from marijuana, cocaine, ecstasy, etc.

David, although plenty can still get pot, MANY do not ever smoke it because of their parental influence while younger and their future goals as they get older. The more we can keep off if it and the other drugs it often seems to lead to, the better.

ILove, the chronicle NEVER in any way shape or form tried to excuse this murder away and they did list what he had done previously. You can rest assured more articles will follow. Your comments tend to infer racism when in fact they are part of the problem. If you think there aren't plenty of articles such as this regarding other races including many where no photo of the criminal is available then you don't read the paper often. We don't need conspiracy theorist such as your far out research on Ronald Regan - we need more people who are willing to help instill personal responsibility and accountability into everyone and help make our area better.

bigclaude
bigclaude 08/23/11 - 11:15 am
@Patty Thats why the drug

=============================================
So Reagan was involved in some grand conspiracy to get African-American people hooked on crack?? It must have worked. How else could you explain that 95% percent of them voted for Obama?

iLove
iLove 08/23/11 - 01:02 pm
David: It is TOO late to

David: It is TOO late to legalize the herb....I think that was the plan. . .why bring alcohol out of prohibition, which is known to kill, but still regulate herb? One reason is: the dr.s and law enforcement won't make as much money. I never said I wanted them legal.

Asitis: Ok...thats about all I can say.

BigClaude: LOL! I pefer to blame the MSM for his election. Ask yourself why though?

For those not agreeing with my Cocaine comments, did you research anything yet?

Who delcared the war on drugs? Has the "war" ended? Has there been any advancement in the war on ALL DRUGS?

Why is any critical thinker dismissed as a conspiracy theorist?

iLove
iLove 08/23/11 - 01:10 pm
Asitis: I take that

Asitis: I take that back...

You said. " where no photo of the criminal is available."

There is not a photo available for this guy??? YOU must not read the Chronicle often, not I my friend.

"infer racisim"
Do you know my race? Or are you assuming?
Right is right and wrong is wrong, nomatter the race.

"we need more people who are willing to help instill personal responsibility and accountability into everyone and help make our area better."

Couldn't have said it better! Tell your friends @ the Chronicle that one.

jahnardluv
jahnardluv 08/23/11 - 01:19 pm
I said I wouldn't return here

I said I wouldn't return here and comment but I cnt stand by n read nonsense without an response..for those who dnt knw..Bolar is my uncle..da pic of the plp u saw is my grandparents..to the guy who says that this should or inevitably will happen in a county jail is beyond ignorant..plp go to jail for simple accusations dat r fa da most part false unless seen directly with da naked eye of the officer..I was falsely accused once and jailed for 11mnths..guy stop pursuing cuz an unexpected witness dat neither of us knw about came forward who was actually there when the alleged incident took place..to the persom who doubts dat crack wasn't purposely put n2 urban areas is jus conditioned n misinformed..simple research will prove u wrong..da person who says dat herb shldnt b legalized shld research when alcohol was illegal but the mob fought da police so vigorously dat they re-legalized it..da herb was legal and their only ratonale for illegalizing it was bcuz of false accusation(1nce again) dat it made blck plp go crazy and break in ur house n stuff..research..history channel even tell u dis..n how can man classify sumn god gave to man as a drug or illegal..ur scriptures say I give "ALL HERBS UNTO MAN"..dnt twist it to fit ur interpretation..

iLove
iLove 08/23/11 - 01:22 pm
I just left the other

I just left the other article, was about to tell Asitis to go read those comments, but man. . . .you said it all!

JAH BLESS!

justthefacts
justthefacts 08/23/11 - 01:27 pm
1:19 post is a joke....right?

1:19 post is a joke....right?

jahnardluv
jahnardluv 08/23/11 - 01:40 pm
@ilove..hold it dwn fa

@ilove..hold it dwn fa me..I'm signing out fa now..have to go to school(GMC) and continue getn dis education we knw they dnt want us to have..aint worth nutn anyway but..jah bless..peace

allhans
allhans 08/23/11 - 01:57 pm
It was a senseless killing,

It was a senseless killing, and I understand that the parents are grieving, but there are lots of things in life that don't make sense. The shootings, the assaults, stealing, none of it makes sense. But that has become the accepted way of life for too many.

So sad..
T

Pinkrain
Pinkrain 08/23/11 - 02:14 pm
Some of you people on here

Some of you people on here are ignorant a man was murdered MURDERED don’t you get that. No matter what he was on or what he did in the past he is gone and my family is hurt by that. No matter how hard I pray I can’t change the heart of man and these posts prove that. We love Earl and we are sadden my his death... Have some respect... Geezz!!

Patty-P
Patty-P 08/23/11 - 02:19 pm
iLove...'@Patty Thats why the

iLove...'@Patty Thats why the drug CRACK was placed SO HEAVILY in the "hood".'
You are saying CRACK was placed heavily in the hood. Who's selling that crack to our poor people? Who in this hood saw the victim in this story and tried to help him - or who sold him the poison and watched his demise. Was it a brother? Who? Who in those neighborhoods cares enough about the people to stop this genocide?

jahnardluv said...' their only ratonale for illegalizing it was bcuz of false accusation(1nce again) dat it made blck plp go crazy and break in ur house n stuff..'
Ironically I've seen a lot of that already on multiple occasions. Weed is readily available to kids and yes they can and will smoke if they want to. But does that make it alright?

bigclaude
bigclaude 08/23/11 - 02:31 pm
And I am sorry for your loss

And I am sorry for your loss Pinkrain, but why aren't you jumping all over the person who started the whole "crack was placed in the hood by Ronald Reagan" person the way you jumped on me.

If that isn't a sickening post then I don't know what is.