Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Teen shot in Harlem Friday night

A Harlem teen was shot near Pumpkin Center Friday night following a drug-related dispute, according to Columbia County sheriff’s Capt. Steve Morris.

Morris said Jeffery Taylor Ray, 17, of Joy Road, was shot in the arm shortly after 9 p.m. and was transported to Doctors Hospital with non-life threatening injuries.

Ray and three other teens met Jeremy Farley and two men at a church on Old Appling Harlem Highway near Pumpkin Center, Morris said. Soon after, police believe Farley shot Ray with a .380-caliber pistol during a disagreement.

Ray was treated and released from Doctors Hospital, according to a hospital spokesperson.

Farley, 22, of Wrightsboro Road in Harlem, is being charged with aggravated assault, Morris said.

No other charges are expected.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 08/22/11 - 03:03 pm
Columbia County needs to

Columbia County needs to tighten its borders.

countyman
20627
countyman 08/22/11 - 04:15 pm
...

...

countyman
20627
countyman 08/22/11 - 03:38 pm
I hope tightening the borders

I hope tightening the borders means the residents must shop, dine, and work in the county. Also the next time CC residents go out of town on vocation or business. They would have to say they're from Evans, GA instead of Augusta.. When the person ask where is Evans located, reply with it's near Martinez or Grovetown, GA..

Some people from the surrounding counties love to bite the hand that feeds them.. The 93% of people who live in Columbia County, but shop outside the county wouldn't support the idea..

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 08/22/11 - 05:40 pm
countyman, you really need to

countyman, you really need to lighten up, there is life before and after statistics. I don't usually go on vocation, but do enjoy a few vacations each year and I don't have any problem saying I am from Evans, without explanation. BTW, they really don't care where I'm from, they are just enjoying the money I spend in their shops. Visiting Charleston this week.

Patty-P
Patty-P 08/22/11 - 05:31 pm
I never tell anyone I'm from

I never tell anyone I'm from Augusta when I'm shopping in or out of town. I wish CC would get a mall.

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/22/11 - 07:47 pm
I explained above how

I explained above how Neighborhood Scouts compiled their ratings. They go much more in detail that only the FBI reports which they do utiilize. They also use Justice Dept reports and standardize the states instead of having 50 different state laws being used. As far as population, they do exclude certain small areas from what I read.

Why don't you write them and dispute their statistics since it appears you are involved in these type things. It would make an interesting Chronicle story.

Do you seriously think a national organization is trying to make Augusta look bad on purpose? The cold, hard facts are 95% of cities in America are safter and 91% have better schools. Deal with it and make it better.

Iwannakno
Iwannakno 08/22/11 - 08:47 pm
I am reminded of a good Roy

I am reminded of a good Roy Orbison song right now...."Crying"

dirtysouthdady
dirtysouthdady 08/23/11 - 09:34 am
@Asitisinaug, Who are the

@Asitisinaug, Who are the affluent ones? can you explain this a little better. drugs are everywhere and all races of youth are indulging no matter what kind of drug it is.

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 08/23/11 - 06:43 pm
Those with money tend to go

Those with money tend to go more for designer drugs, prescriptions, cocaine, etc. whereas those without go for marijuana and crack.

Our "good youths" who stay out of trouble but have plenty of disposable income from mommy and daddy and are frequently buying and selling drugs but in Columbia County you will not here this discussed or looked into. Columbia County would rather bury their heads in the sand and think the problem does not exist because there aren't a bunch of crack houses around, etc. but they are dead wrong.