Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Teen shot in Harlem Friday night

A Harlem teen was shot near Pumpkin Center Friday night following a drug-related dispute, according to Columbia County sheriff’s Capt. Steve Morris.

Morris said Jeffery Taylor Ray, 17, of Joy Road, was shot in the arm shortly after 9 p.m. and was transported to Doctors Hospital with non-life threatening injuries.

Ray and three other teens met Jeremy Farley and two men at a church on Old Appling Harlem Highway near Pumpkin Center, Morris said. Soon after, police believe Farley shot Ray with a .380-caliber pistol during a disagreement.

Ray was treated and released from Doctors Hospital, according to a hospital spokesperson.

Farley, 22, of Wrightsboro Road in Harlem, is being charged with aggravated assault, Morris said.

No other charges are expected.

countyman
countyman 08/21/11 - 05:20 pm
The Chronicle will display my

The Chronicle will display my other comment in the future.. The FBI violent crime rates clearly speak for themselves..

The city of Harlem has a total of 2,666 people and one homicide this year already.. It's not the same crime rate compared to Evans.

The site Neighorhood Scout doesn't even have the correct population of Augusta(193,949)... The population of Augusta/RC is 195,844 and Richmond County is 200,549.. I noticed somebody didn't mention according to Neighborhood Scout Evans is only safer than 34% of US cities..

Source: 2010 Census

AsitisinAug.. Aiken County had more aggravated assaults compared to Richmond County in both 2008 and 2009.. 2009 Aggravated Assaults: Aiken 319, Richmond 179, and Columbia 59..

My source is the FBI and not a random website which doesn't even know the population of Augusta.

countyman
countyman 08/21/11 - 05:32 pm
Lol.. The person who claimed

Lol.. The person who claimed I'm losing credibility on here.. Is the same person who changed the comment about graduation rates after they were called out.. They said the graduation rate was less than 50% in Richmond County..

The 2009 FBI violent crime rates per 100k people: Augusta 415.1 and Nashville 659.4

If you don't believe Augusta is safer than the majority of similar size cities.. Then take it up with the FBI, but don't get mad at the messenger. I'm not including Nashville into the group of peer cities, but Augusta is still much safer..

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/21/11 - 07:39 pm
Neighborhood Scout.com also

Neighborhood Scout.com also grades Columbia County schools at 42% compared to the national average, 95% for Georgia. Augusta is rated at 9% nationally, 11% statewide.

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/21/11 - 07:57 pm
Neighborhood Scout uses this

Neighborhood Scout uses this criteria. "The data Location Inc uses for NeighborhoodScout is the latest neighborhood statistics available from several leading government sources. These sources include the U.S. Bureau of the Census, the U.S. Department of Justice, the National Center for Education Statistics, and the U.S. Geological Service, among others. We bring information from these different agencies together in one giant database and then we use our PhD-level expertise to create new, useful profiles and insights about neighborhoods, cities, and towns all across America."

They use something called neighborhood census tracts. "NeighborhoodScout uses census tracts as the basis for neighborhood profile matches, allowing specificity of matches better than broad zip code areas, because zip code areas often include several census tracts. When distinct census tracts are blended together into a larger zip code area, the data reflects their average conditions and often gives a false sense of the area. Using census tracts makes great matches possible, and helps customers find the areas that are best for them and their families.

Census tracts are small, relatively permanent subdivisions of a county that are defined by the U.S. Census Bureau.

Census tracts usually have between 2,500 and 8,000 persons and are defined to contain areas with homogeneous population characteristics, including economic status, and living conditions.

The extent of individual census tracts varies widely depending on the density of settlement."

Patty-P
Patty-P 08/21/11 - 08:04 pm
countyman...actually if the

countyman...actually if the kids had to actually EARN a grade, the graduation rates probably WOULD be around 50%.

countyman
countyman 08/21/11 - 08:24 pm
Iwannkno.. Can you share some

Iwannkno.. Can you share some of the false information?? Just because you don't agree doesn't mean it's false.. Unlike most of the people on the AC, the majority of comments are facts and not my own personal opinions..

If Neighborhood Scout uses the Census Bureau, then why don't they know the correct population of Augusta..

There's no denying the website has the population of Augusta listed at 193,949...

RunningMan
RunningMan 08/21/11 - 08:22 pm
As I have said before, why do

As I have said before, why do you all debate this stuff? It means nothing, and accomplish nothing. If you are really that concerned, get out and do something about it. I keep seeing the same old comments regarding which county has the better schools, worst crime rate, etc. I have lived and know folks that live in the surrounding areas, and trust me, they all have issues. Having lived around the world, the crime and conditions here is nothing compared to some of those countries. You all really should get out more.

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/21/11 - 10:01 pm
Countyman, Neighborhood Scout

Countyman, Neighborhood Scout excludes certain areas of an entity that are not representative. This is a national organization that rates cities fairly and accurately. Read their criteria above that I posted. They just happen to rate Augusta in the bottom 5% for crime and the bottom 10% for schools. Argue with them.

countyman
countyman 08/21/11 - 11:04 pm
My comment said there's more

My comment said there's more residents of Aiken County in the Richmond County jail.. Compared to the number of Richmond County residents in the Aiken jail.. You clearly assumed my comment meant something it didn't..

Both times I brought up the Aiken County homicide amount. I made sure to put the word 'think' or 'probably' infront of my estimate..

The comment said Aiken County 'probably' has more homicides this year compared to last.. Unless you prove me wrong I don't understand the problem..

How can somebody call me out and they don't even know the exact homicide county for Aiken?? It's not like after I made the comment the person shared the exact number of murders in the County. All they said was this is the second time I've guessed at the number. I bet my estimate was very close to the exact number this year..

Riverman... The population of Augusta on the Neighborhood Scout website is listed at 193,949... The population of the old city, Augusta/RC, or Richmond County isn't 193,949..

Patty-P
Patty-P 08/22/11 - 06:26 am
countyman said there's more

countyman said there's more residents of Aiken County in the Richmond County jail.. Compared to the number of Richmond County residents in the Aiken jail.
Maybe Richmond County is on the 'best place to commit crimes' list. That explains why more Aiken criminals are in Richmond County jails.

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/22/11 - 06:27 am
Countyman, it is a well

Countyman, it is a well respected independent national rating company for homebuyers. As explained above they do exclude certain areas, thus the population difference. If you look at other cities, Augusta is ranked about with Baltimore for crime which is the 4th worst city for crime of metro areas over 250,000 in the nation.

In Augusta, schools are also rated in the bottom 10%. I know this makes many feel uncomfortable, but dealing with the truth is the only way to improve.

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/22/11 - 07:06 am
Neighborhood Scout creates

Neighborhood Scout creates their national rankings by using FBI and Justice Dept data. Here is what they do to refine that measure:

"The index seeks to overcome differences in individual state statues, that would ignore how the individual is charged, and create a standardized definition of crime classification. This was done through defining serious and non-serious offenses. Part I crimes are comprised of serious felonies and Part II crimes are comprised of non-serious felonies and misdemeanors. Together these two types of classifications make up the crimes reported in the Uniform Crime Reports."

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/22/11 - 07:14 am
Why this Neighborhood Scout

Why this Neighborhood Scout data and ranking is important is it gives a realistic ranking that many of us have long suspected about Richmond County crime rate and schools. Let's not bury our heads in the sand.

Along these same lines if you look at Evans it is much better than Augusta, but not that great either. It's crime rate has about 65% of other communities safer. And the schools in Columbia County as a whole are in the bottom half of the nation. Rated at just 45%. So there's much room for both counties to improve.

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 08/22/11 - 10:37 am
Countyman, you are losing

Countyman, you are losing credibility and even more so after you last ridiculous comment.

You are correct in the fact that I put 50% which was immediately corrected and you were thanked as well as the fact that I apologized. Furthermore, I showed you my source for that information and even posted the sight. I then posted the correct numbers as shown on the BOE website and the Augusta Chronicle and you still disputed it without ever backing it up.

You on the other hand purposefully manipulate statistics, fabricate, gloss over and never make any corrections, apologies or ever answer any direct questions of a legitimate debate.

You are turning posters against you instead of trying to make them see that you really do care about Augusta and wish for it to be better.

When you get real with your information and stop trying to purposefully mislead others and stop crying foul about an error that was immediately corrected and even shown as to why it was made then maybe you will regain some credibility.

As for the fact that Augusta has depleted is Sheriff's Office by over 40 deputy positions, has cut another million from the budget, has furloughed all deputies greatly reducing the force, has lowered salaries and not put in place any decent benefits or incentive pay for experience, schools, college, etc. and therefore the many open positions can't even be filled you are unable to spin that - even though you tried with the " The Sheriff's Office has hired 25 new deputies recently" and of course left out that it was an effort at trying to replace the 40 or so that quit and had NOTHING to do with the 41 positions de-funded. You also certainly cannot dispute that we spend over $100,000.00 per pupil for 12 years of schooling only to have 25 out of 100 never graduate and another large percentage graduate with reading and writing skills below the 10th grade level. You keep living in your fantasy land and all of us will keep trying to make reality better for everyone.

As for sharing the fale, fabricated, incorrect and glossed over information that Countyman posts, it can easily be viewed on many previous posts where I personally along with Riverman1, PattyP, and others have proven your information to be incorrect only to have you disappear from the post and not answer ANY questions. Additionally, you bash many others for talking about Augusta and yet at the same time you continually try your best to make it look as if Aiken County and Columbia County are as bad or worse than Augusta and I assume you don't live in either of those counties. If you can't see the error of your ways then you must really be a politician.

kiwiinamerica
kiwiinamerica 08/22/11 - 12:12 pm
Hello, Countyman. I see it's

Hello, Countyman.

I see it's time for me to clear up your half-truths, obfuscations and red herrings again. You don't tell big, fat, blatant, porkies. Instead, you tell only part of the truth and in so doing, you mislead.

*Ahem*...........Why are you running through this thread telling everyone that.... "the FBI crime rate for Augusta(415.1)is much lower than Nashville's(659.4) and the majority of similar size cities.." (That's actually the rate per 100,000 residents, just to be accurate).

I've consulted the relevant FBI table and the key word in your spiel is "Augusta". According to the FBI, "Augusta" (and I quote verbatim) "includes Burke, Columbia, McDuffie, and Richmond Counties, GA and Aiken and Edgefield Counties, SC". So your crime stats for "Augusta" are actually for the entire CSRA and include Waynesboro, Edgefield, Thomson and a bunch of other hick places where crime is much less than it is in Richmond County.

Very funny. You're a regular comedian, aren't you? Did you forget to mention that point? Next time, try not to dilute Richmond County stats with those of other parts of the CSRA. Riverman1 is correct. The stats for Richmond County alone stink.

Waiting for your next stunt cooked up by the Ministry for Propaganda.

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 08/22/11 - 12:09 pm
And there you have it

And there you have it folks....

countyman
countyman 08/22/11 - 12:56 pm
Kiwi... The CSRA is a total

Kiwi... The CSRA is a total of 18 counties and the metro is six oounties...

My 5:03 pm post was based solely on Augusta/Richmond County..

Violent crime rankings per 100k

Highest crime rates/4th Quartile: Flint, MI: Stockton, CA: Baton Rouge, LA: Bimingham, AL: Bridgeport, CT: Chattanooga, TN

Average crime rate/3rd Quartile: Dayton, OH: Rochester, NY: Tacoma, WA: Tallahassee, FL: Beaumont, TX: Shreveport, LA: Jackson, MS

Average crime rate/2nd Quartile: Grand Rapids, MI: Richmond. VA: Greensboro, NC: Springfield, MO: St. Paul, MN: Winston-Salem, NC
South Bend, IN

Lowest crime rate/1st Quartile: Salt Lake City, UT: Norfolk, VA
Augusta, GA: Raleigh, NC: Mobile, AL

countyman
countyman 08/22/11 - 01:07 pm
My 5:03 comment was based

My 5:03 comment was based solely on the crime rate of Augusta/Richmond County.. Augusta/Richmond County was grouped with the lowest crime rate category... The numbers came straight from the FBI..

My 5:10 comment is based on the metro and not the CSRA.. The metro is six counties and the CSRA is 18 counties.. The crime rate of Davidson County wasn't available.. It compared metro Nasvhille vs the metro Augusta area..

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/22/11 - 01:07 pm
The stats are not digs at

The stats are not digs at Augusta alone. Columbia, SC fared even worse with schools and the crime was rated the same as Augusta. Most southern cities are in a quagmire. With hard work, maybe we can improve.

countyman
countyman 08/22/11 - 01:18 pm
I think I'm going with the

I think I'm going with the FBI over Neighborhood Scout.. They don't even know the population of Augusta/Richmond County.. The population of Augusta/RC is 195,844 and Richmond County is 200,549..

AsitisinAug.. After you changed the graduation rate to 76.2%.. The graduation rate was still wrong.. I did explain the rate was higher and Chronicle had other articles listing the correct rate. Since you claim to have look at the RCBOE website.. Then why didn't you put the 2010 graduation rate of 77.5%.. I tried to tell you earlier the rate change from 77.5% in 2010 to 78.2 in 2011..

kiwiinamerica
kiwiinamerica 08/22/11 - 01:15 pm
Countyman: Actually, the CSRA

Countyman:

Actually, the CSRA is 13 counties according to Wiki but we'll let that slide.

Whatever..............I trust it's now clear to everyone that you and Riverman1 are comparing apples and oranges. His stats are correct. They simply pertain to a smaller, more focused area. You also had the nerve to say that his source didn't know the population of the Augusta area.

Uh-huh..........right!

It's you who is playing fast and loose with what constitutes "Augusta". The question on everyone's minds, however, is why you would include Aiken stats, Waynesboro stats and Edgefield stats in a discussion which is focused on a completely different area? You had to know this fact because it's written in black and white on the same FBI chart which you quoted.

Could it be perhaps, because by including this large 6 county area, it makes "Augusta's" stats look better?

In future, when discussing crime figures, I suggest you restrict yourself to the use of the names of counties; e.g. Richmond, Columbia, etc. That way, everyone will know exactly what you're talking about and you'll save me the trouble of busting you again.

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/22/11 - 01:16 pm
Countyman, maybe they

Countyman, maybe they purposefully designed their ratings to make Augusta, GA look bad. Of the more than 17,000 commnunities they rate, I wonder why they would want to pick on Augusta that way? Shame on them.

countyman
countyman 08/22/11 - 01:25 pm
Kiwi.. You obviously read the

Kiwi.. You obviously read the Wikipedia version of the CSRA.. The 13 counties in Georgia don't include the five counties in South Carolina..

My 5:03 comment is based on the FBI crime rate of Augusta/Richmond County.. How is that diffrence from what Neighborhood Scout claims to examine??

According to Neighborhood Scout the population Augusta is 193,949..

Please defend the population count??

kiwiinamerica
kiwiinamerica 08/22/11 - 01:22 pm
Oh and one more thing.......

Oh and one more thing....... here is the link to the FBI table which Countyman likes to quote.

Scroll down to the "Augusta-Richmond County, GA-SC M.S.A." data. It's written in black and white there that this data includes two counties in South Carolina and Burke and McDuffie in Georgia.

countyman
countyman 08/22/11 - 01:33 pm
Can you please defend the

Can you please defend the Neighborhood Scout 193,949 poulation?? Exactly what smaller area does this pertain too.. I got my population figures from the US Census.

My 5:03 comment is from the convention bureau of Durham, NC.. The CVB compared the peer cities of Durham using the 2009 violent and property crime rates.. The crime rate compared Durham/Durham County vs Augusta/Richmond County.. The CVB didn't compared metro Durham vs metro Augusta.

My 5:10 comment did use the metro Augusta crime rate.. Richmond, Aiken, Columbia, Burke, Edgefield, Mcduffie,

kiwiinamerica
kiwiinamerica 08/22/11 - 01:35 pm
Good.............well it took

Good.............well it took a while to drag that out of you but is was worth the effort. I had to include the link before you fessed up but better late than never.

Now you can go apologize to all the posters you've been haranguing. They now realize that the only reason "Augusta's crime rate is much lower than other cities" is if you include data from five other, predominantly rural counties.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 08/22/11 - 01:43 pm
Countyman wrote: The 13

Countyman wrote:

The 13 counties in Georgia don't include the five counties in South Carolina.

That should be obvious.

countyman
countyman 08/22/11 - 02:44 pm
Lol... I already said the

Lol... I already said the same exact thing in my 1:07 pm comment.. You providing the link didn't accomplish anything.. In my 1:07 comment(before you provided the link) I clearly said my 5:10 pm comment compared metro Nasvhille vs Metro Augusta..

I don't think you completely understand my other comment.. My 5:03 and 1:17 comments are based on the crime rate for Augusta/Richmond county.. The crime rate of Augusta/Richmond had the city grouped with the lowest crime rate category..I keep saying the CVB didn't include Aiken, Edgefield, Burke, Columbia, and Mcduffie..

I think you need to apologize too me.. The ''low'' crime rate was based on Augusta/Richmond and not the surrounding counties. I'm still waiting for somebody to defend the population on Neighborhood Scout..

countyman
countyman 08/22/11 - 02:43 pm
The comment below was based

The comment below was based on the crime rate of Augusta/Richmond County not including the city limits of Hephzibah Blythe..

Violent crime rankings per 100k

South Bend, IN

Lowest crime rate/1st Quartile: Salt Lake City, UT: Norfolk, VA
Augusta, GA: Raleigh, NC: Mobile, AL

The comment below was based on metro Augusta vs Metro Nasvhille

Augusta/Richmond County is still safer than the majority of similar size counties by itself.. The crime rate would drop significantly if you added the city limits of Hephzibah and Blythe..

Patty-P
Patty-P 08/22/11 - 02:48 pm
There is no doubt in my mind,

There is no doubt in my mind, regardless of where you pull stats and figures, Augusta is not safer than the majority of similar size counties. A lot of what goes on isn't even reported.

Mayor's office helped arrange Kinder Morgan gift

When Augusta Commission members reported being blindsided and subsequently rejected a $25,000 donation of emergency call boxes from pipeline giant Kinder Morgan, the mayor's office and other city ...