Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Summerville residents more vigilant one year after burglar shooting by judge

The summer has been quiet for residents in Summerville.

Back | Next
Judge Carlisle Overstreet shot and killed an intruder in his Summerville home in 2010.  Special
Special

Last year was a different story.

David Dunagan, the chairman of the Summerville Crime Watch Committee, said that last summer he was sending about two crime alerts to neighbors each week.

One year ago today, Dunagan alerted neighbors that Judge Carlisle Overstreet had shot and killed an intruder in his Cumming Road home.

“It made everybody vigilant. I had my gun ready,” said Joe Neal Jr., the president of Summerville Neighborhood Association. “When you have someone break into your house, that’s about as scary as it gets – especially when you’re home.”

Authorities said Overstreet overheard voices about 4 a.m., got his gun and discovered 20-year-old John E. Howard Jr. coming down the stairs with a bandana around his face and socks on his hands. Overstreet fired, striking Howard in the chest.

Howard was taken to Medical College of Georgia Hospital, where he was pronounced dead. No weapon was found on him.

The only item missing from the home was a laptop computer.

Another suspect, William Omar Jacobs, 22, surrendered the following day. Jacobs is scheduled to stand trial next week.

Authorities do not believe Overstreet was a target. Because the burglars made a loud entry into the home and Overstreet’s vehicle was out of view, investigators believe the burglars thought the house was empty when they tossed a rock through the glass door and made their way through the home.

Overstreet refused an interview request from The Augusta Chronicle about the incident.

After the shooting, the neighborhood association saw a significant increase in membership.

“Unfortunately, Summerville seems to be surrounded by pockets of crime,” Neal said.

He pointed to the Bon Air Apartments, where a homicide took place in June of this year, and Harrisburg, which has become “overrun with Section 8 housing” and more bad pockets along Wrightsboro Road.

The crime watch membership includes e-mail alerts about criminal or suspicious activities in the neighborhood.

So far this year, crime alerts have been sparse, coming only once every three weeks or so.

“It’s been a very quiet summer, and we’d like to think that the Overstreet shooting put the word on the streets that these people are possibly armed and protecting themselves,” Dunagan said.

According to Richmond County sheriff’s Capt. Scott Peebles, crime has dropped across the county.

Records show that burglaries for 2011 are generally lower than the previous year. In July, there were 128 fewer burglaries than the same month in 2010, according to Chronicle archives.

Neal said the neighborhood will continue to be vigilant against crime despite what crime statistics show.

“Criminals prey on the weak. They’re lazy and looking for something easy,” he said. “If they’re being watched, they’re going to go someplace else.”

Patty-P
Patty-P 08/19/11 - 11:22 pm
“Criminals prey on the weak.

“Criminals prey on the weak. They’re lazy and looking for something easy,”
Criminals better make sure I'm NOT home if they decide to break into my place. There ain't nothing 'easy' in my house.

Crime Reports and Rewards TV
Crime Reports and Rewards TV 08/20/11 - 02:20 am
The burglars that Carlisle

The burglars that Carlisle had to defend against could have easily stopped off and got a $20. Saturday Night Special and this story might have read a lot different. Thank God Carlisle dodged that fate.

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 08/20/11 - 03:32 am
You tell em Patty....

You tell em Patty....

Iwannakno
Iwannakno 08/20/11 - 04:57 am
I'm sure he agonizes that he

I'm sure he agonizes that he took someone's life but the burglars put themselves in that position. I hope I never have to make that decision...

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/20/11 - 08:09 am
If I find someone breaking in

If I find someone breaking in my house I sure won't ask them if they want a cup of coffee....

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/20/11 - 08:10 am

Thank goodness the good Judge is still here....It could have been a different headline.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 08/20/11 - 08:34 am
In truth, if the headline had

In truth, if the headline had been the opposite, one thing is sure: This would be one crime RCSD would at least try to solve.

"...Summerville seems to be surrounded by pockets of crime...” So are we all, much by the ill-advised emptying of Gilbert Manor. Section Eight housing should be titled the "Spread The Criminals" act.

billyjones1949
billyjones1949 08/20/11 - 08:35 am
Judge Overstreet is a fine

Judge Overstreet is a fine man and what he did was and is ok with me. He should not feel any guilt and neither should anybody else when they are protecting themselves against a possible threat at 4 am. Who knows what the burgular may have.

billyjones1949
billyjones1949 08/20/11 - 09:22 am
dstewartsr. You are so right.

dstewartsr. You are so right. In the governments quest to make all equal, which can not and will not ever happen, they cause problems in the better areas.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/20/11 - 09:31 am
So true billyjones &

So true billyjones & stewart.......the quest to make all things equal won't fly----that goes for housing-schools-jobs-etc.-----I can't vacation in Europe every year....live in the Hamptons...buy a vacation home in the Caymans ....& I wasn't invited to Kim Kardashians wedding either..darn it....but I'm not burning & looting over it....there is the difference...I don't EXPECT freebies....

Vito45
Vito45 08/20/11 - 10:25 am
"So true billyjones &

"So true billyjones & stewart.......the quest to make all things equal won't fly"

They call the success of that endeavor COMMUNISM.

I might add, I agree 100% with this comment I heard on Boortz one day, paraphrased: "You could take all of the personal net worth in America and divide it equally among each citizen today; and within 5 years the rich would be rich again and the poor will still be poor."

There is a very good reason that people are at their financial station in life in most cases.

allhans
allhans 08/20/11 - 10:21 am
On an recent C-span airing,

On an recent C-span airing, a guest from the state of N.Y.said that we have become a one-size-fits all nanny state and that we must turn it around.
----------------------------------------------

"“It made everybody vigilant. I had my gun ready"said Joe Neal Jr., the president of Summerville Neighborhood Association. “

That is an excellent example of how to turn things around.

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/20/11 - 10:27 am
Vito45, expanding on Boortz's

Vito45, expanding on Boortz's comments, I'll bet if we suddenly became a socialistic, communist country, the same successful people under capitalism would rise to the top in the communist system. Real life, that's how it is. All men are not created equal.

Augusta resident
Augusta resident 08/20/11 - 11:23 am
What does Gilbert Manor have

What does Gilbert Manor have to do with this? It closed and Olmstead Homes opened, with lakefront property and a ballpark. How bout they get a job or two and pay their own rent, I'm running out of money for these mooching parasites. How about someone pay my rent so I can fish all day. How about I can't run up and down a basketball court for 3 hours but I can work 40 hours a week or more if needed. How about lowering my taxes so I can get a big screen. How about give me food stamps so I can humiliate tax payers and pull out a wad of cash to pay for cases of beer right after I bought a huge cart of food with EBT while working people behind me have little plastic hand carried baskets of food they can barely afford. What's going to happen when the rest of the backbone of Augusta moves out?

billyjones1949
billyjones1949 08/20/11 - 11:45 am
Augusta resident, the cards

Augusta resident, the cards are issued by the state and the checks come from the Federal Government along with the state. Not the city.
Housing is administered by the city with money from the state and federal governments. Also the closing of Gilbert Manor moved a large amount of those type citizens to Harrisburg and Olmstead Homes. They bring crime with them because of their attitudes about life and what is their responsibility to others which is to lead a good honest crime free life and to work and take care of yourself.

Patty-P
Patty-P 08/20/11 - 12:02 pm
“It’s been a very quiet

Everyone should be armed and able to protect themselves from intruders. Unfortunately, some folks cases wouldn't be as cut and dry as the judges...such as the guy that had to shoot a teen a week ago.

allhans
allhans 08/20/11 - 01:52 pm
I hope I never have to shoot

I hope I never have to shoot a living creature..man nor beast.
But if I have to I will, even though I will have to live with that fact forever.

raul
raul 08/20/11 - 02:25 pm
Joe Neal Jr. describes

Joe Neal Jr. describes Summerville as being surrounded by "pockets" of crime. I think a better description of Augusta as a whole would be"pockets" of affluence surrounded by crime. Neigborhoods that were formally solid middle class have spiraled into the morass of decay with the continued exodus of taxpayers and wage earners to Columbia County and surrounding areas. Augusta's tax base will continue to diminish thereby exacerbating the current crime problems and lowered quality of life. One of the best decisions I made was buying in CC fourteen years ago after returning to Augusta after a twelve year absence. I like the Augusta area, and find it sad to see the decline over the years.

Patty-P
Patty-P 08/20/11 - 02:49 pm
raul...I wonder what happened

raul...I wonder what happened to the area? What caused the decline?

raul
raul 08/20/11 - 03:47 pm
@Patty-P. I'm not a

@Patty-P. I'm not a Sociologist, Economist, etc. so I can just give you a layman's opinion. First, look at the demographics of CC vs. RC. Comparatively more homeowners in CC, higher income, higher education level, more conservative. What is one of the highest priorities for a family with kids? Mine would be a good education. Compare the two counties from that perspective. A big complaint I hear from RC residents, is paying high taxes with little in return. I hate taxes as much as the next person, but I think I am getting something for my money in CC. I had a problem where a small sinkhole had started at the entrance to my driveway on county property. I called a work order in. The next day a crew of 5, LOL, showed up and fixed the problem. I don't think I would have received that type of service in RC. Over the past 15 years CC has grown enormously in population. Those people that moved from RC to CC or settled in CC as first timers, did the research and determined they could get more for the money, e.g. schools, better local government, etc. in CC. As I stated in my previous comment, when the money starts moving away and isn't being replaced, the tax base is diminished causing a myriad of problems. Well, that's my two cents. I could go on, but I think I hit the high points. How about some input from other commenters?

allhans
allhans 08/20/11 - 05:40 pm
probably, CC enjoys more of

probably, CC enjoys more of RC taxpayers monies than vice versa.
Don't YELL...I said probably.. RC pays, CC enjoys...

Patty-P
Patty-P 08/20/11 - 07:51 pm
raul....I agree completely.

raul....I agree completely. I think RC has a problem with leadership as well. RC resources are not allocated efficiently (as in the recent raises handed out). The fate of the county seems to lie in the hands of those on the bottom of the totum pole (lowest income/criminal element), and those at the top of the totum pole (highest income/decision makers). Those in the middle (middle class/predominant tax payers) are the ones suffering.

Augusta resident
Augusta resident 08/21/11 - 10:17 am
I lived in South Augusta from

I lived in South Augusta from 1980-1884. It was a good place, not great but good. I remember going to Evans High School and feeling poor compared to Butler. I saw the demise of the Regency Mall after the Augusta Mall was built. For every on crime at the Regency Mall someone made up others like women getting raped in the parking lot and stuff like that. We had Fudruckers, Godfathers Pizza, Regency Mall, Sunset Nissan, I think it was Borne Toyota, Otasco, Williams Seafood and other businesses leave after the mall started closing. Pepperridge was what I considered a rich folk neighborhood. Apple Valley was always a crime riddled dump. I left for 10 years and Butler didn't change one bit. South Augusta closed Roses and put in a Lowes. Then I was old enough to pay attention to local government and saw the county waste money such as half a million dollars on a parking study and nothing has changed. Endless bickering over a race track and a canal on Ellis St, losing a long costly court battle to the X-Mart ending up in a fine of $400K, Fred comparing the raise on property taxes to a fancy haircut ect. Meanwhile North Augusta is looking like the next Columbia County.
Anyway I pray for Judge Overstreet, he has to live with killing a man while he stands up for the rights of people just like him.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 08/21/11 - 12:56 pm
Raul, well said about the

Raul, well said about the "pockets". A lot of the problems that have developed in Richmond County developed because citizens' complaints were not consistently taken seriously at a critical point during the period in which crime began to escalate. So many of the tax-payers gave up and left when they reached their level of tolerance for a neighborhood environment of verbal abuse, obscenities, racial slurs, vandalism, property neglect, littering, burglaries, armed robberies, thefts, being shot at, beaten or hearing weapons being discharged in their communities, pets being killed or injured by roaming dog packs, children being lured by gangs and drug dealers, murders too frequently and too close to home, dead pit-bulls being dumped in a neighbors' yard, or at empty lots and retention ponds, lousy schools (except for the magnet schools), over-filled buses, and so on. I used to live in Summerville before 30906 went downhill. I never thought it would get this bad in 30906. I trusted if I reported it, things would get better, if not right away, maybe eventually. Law enforcement seems to be working hard toward that goal in recent years, but crime was noticeably getting increasingly out of hand between 1999 and 2009 and people became more and more afraid to report it, for good reason.

commonsense-is-endangere
commonsense-is-endangere 08/21/11 - 09:20 pm
You gotta blame this all on

You gotta blame this all on the Europeans flogging people as a business.