Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

2 men robbed at gunpoint in downtown Augusta

A North Augusta man and his friend were robbed at gunpoint early Thursday morning in downtown Augusta, the Richmond County Sheriff's Office said.

The incident occurred between the 1100 and 1300 blocks of Ellis Street after 2:30 a.m., according to an incident report. The two friends were walking from a bar to the Huddle House near 13th Street when two black males on bicycles approached them. One of the perpetrators put a small caliber handgun to the head one of the victims.

The suspects then took cellphones, a silver necklace, ID cards and a Net Spend Prepaid Card worth $900 from the victims' pockets, the report says.

The first suspect is described as about 6 feet 1 inch and 185 pounds, with a lazy eye, dressed in a long, white T-shirt and blue jeans. The other was about 5 feet 7 inches tall and wore a long, white T-shirt and blue shorts.

raul
raul 08/12/11 - 01:52 pm
@ Countyman. Forgot to ask.

@ Countyman. Forgot to ask. Could you do a comparison on crime stats for Greenville and Augusta with comment? No, I am not setting you up. I don't have a clue what they would be. I am curious though as to how they have would seem to be a thriving downtown area unless the crime stats are low.

superboyjazz
superboyjazz 08/12/11 - 02:00 pm
I live on Ellis st 1 block

I live on Ellis st 1 block from where this happened for going on 8 years now. Is it 100% all the time? No! However, nowhere is. Do you have to be smart about what you do? Yes, but that goes along with anywhere. Downtown is not this horrible crime scene that Willow Baily would like people to think it is. I walk around there at all hours of the day and night, mostly alone and feel very safe. As far as Willow Bailey's comment about lack of police down here, that is just ignorant and very much so incorrect. There are several officers down here and at least one patrolling Ellis st ever night. I'm sorry that the couple of news story make you ssssooooooooo scared of downtown. There seems to be tons of people not so easily scared as most the businesses down there are doing pretty good with a steady stream of customers. Downtown, with the exception of Monday nights, is pretty busy. So I'm not sure what part of Augusta Willow is talking about, but I can assure you it is not the part I have lived in for 8 yrs.

Vito45
Vito45 08/12/11 - 02:04 pm
Willow, as a general rule I

Willow, as a general rule I feel safe in downtown Augusta, but I'm a man and I carry. Plus, I'm only down there when there are plenty of other people around. I would NOT feel comfortable with my wife walking alone there or most any other place after dark unless there were lots of people around.
There is a proven, effective method of knocking down street crime if Augusta would just do it. I was in Boston a few years ago and a local was telling me about their issues with street crime. Some college girls had been assaulted among other things and the local political leaders were catching extra heat because so many rich and powerful people had children in school there. They took a bunch of beat cops and put them in plainc clothes to mingle on the streets. After popping a bunch of the street thugs, word got out and street crime plummeted. They never knew when that person walking towards them was a cop.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 08/12/11 - 02:30 pm
Thank you Vito45.

Thank you Vito45.

Patty-P
Patty-P 08/12/11 - 02:31 pm
That's a good idea vito. I

That's a good idea vito. I wish they would put undercover in many of the crime, gang, and drug-related areas. Could even put them in the schools. They would see a lot of what many are talking about.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 08/12/11 - 02:51 pm
Superboyjazz, don't take it

Superboyjazz, don't take it so personally, it's not about you.

Safe doing what is the question. Safe locked up in your home? Safe when you are carrying a gun? Safe when you are with your husband who has a gun? Safe when you are parking at the Pinnacle Club? Safe when parking directly in front of a single place of business and returning to your auto? Safe when at an event? Safe when in a large group?

Safe to me is when I can go alone or with a friend, park my car anywhere in the shopping district and walk from one end to other, browsing and shopping. Safe to me is the ability to be dressed as usual, wearing my usual jewelry, carrying my usual purse, carrying my usual shopping bags, and enjoying the usual things I can enjoy in many other cities without carrying a weapon.

Look at the businesses that are NOT on Broad Street. If it were a safer and more prosperous place to invest, we would see a lot more places opening.

I am going out on a limb and saying with confidence, I know many more women who shop and lunch than you do...and none of them are spending their money in downtown Augusta with the exception of an occasional trip to the furniture store. If you don't shop, you don't know.

I remember Augusta in its heyday and I miss it tremendously. Why have places like Aiken, Greenville, Charleston, Madison, Athens and Rome managed to keep their downtown prosperous and safer? The most likely answer is city politics.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 08/12/11 - 02:56 pm

Thank you, Raul, you knew I would love it.

hockeymann
hockeymann 08/12/11 - 03:12 pm
This holdup occured fairly

This holdup occured fairly close to the "Boy King's" proposed baseball
stadium at the Golf & Gardens...No thanks! I'll still park at Lake Olmstead
Stadium free, which will put me only a few steps to inside the current
stadium. I'll skip baseball if it moves downtown.
Yes, I do go to the hockey games downtown at the JB Arena. Wish they
had moved the arena out to I-20/Lewiston Rd. exit, where it had been
'discussed before by Col. Cty. and passed on a straw poll..But w as dropped. No other choice on this. But baseball is different, in that we
already have a nice stadium at Lake Olmstead. Keep it that way.

countyman
20149
countyman 08/12/11 - 04:05 pm
Raul... The FBI crime rates

Raul... The FBI crime rates from the year 2007 included both cities.. I couldn't use either the year 2008 or 2009 because the crime for one of the cities wasn't available.. Augusta 419.9 and Greenville 692.7

I do agree the downtown area of Grenville is nicer compared to Augusta.. I hope you'll agree the city of Augusta and the downtown is growing much faster in 2011 compared to previous years.. The city of Greenville should strive to have an robust economy similar to Augusta. The ongoing hotel growth around Augusta speaks for itself.. The groundbreaking for the 124 Residence Inn(Marriott) will soon take place at 1110 Marks Church rd.. Since 2008 seven hotels in Richmond county(Sheraton 152 rooms, Staybridge Suites 92 rooms, Hilton Garden Inn 114 rooms, Comfort Suites 72 rooms, Holiday Inn Express 86 rooms, Fairfield Inn & Suites 82 rooms, Comfort Inn & Suites 61 rooms) and two in Columbia county(Howard Johnson 57 rooms and Comfort Inn & Suites 58 rooms) on Jimmie Dyess near the border were built. The two largest were the 152 room Sheraton and 114 Hilton Garden Inn both located in West Augusta.. The Hampton Inn located in South Augusta and the Affordable Suites of America(mainly for plant vogtle and fort gordon workers who want apt amenities) in West Augusta are both under construction..

The hotels of the future include the Hyatt Place(CBD 139 rooms), Holiday Inn Express & Suites(CBD renovated Regency Inn: Olde Town entrance), Home2Suites(Hilton; Medical District) Holiday Inn Express(Medical District 68 rooms), Four Points By Sheraton(West Augusta), and another upscale hotel next to Four Points(West Augusta)... I forgot to mention a hotel brand was recenlty in town(May) looking at potential sites to build a new hotel..

raul
raul 08/12/11 - 03:28 pm
@counyman. Thank you for your

@counyman. Thank you for your response.

countyman
20149
countyman 08/12/11 - 03:40 pm
Hockeymann... The crime rate

Hockeymann... The crime rate of Lake Olmstead homes is higher compared to the Golf and Golf Gardens property.. Plus Lake Olmstead homes is directly infront of the current baseball stadium. While the incident in the article is atleast 3-4 blocks away from the GGHF site. There's a reason why no developer is intrested in expanding the current stadium. The Riverwalk area is much safer compared to the immediate area surrounding Lake Olmstead.. Lake Olmstead homes is safer compared to the other housing projects in terms of crime rates(older population), but it's not the Port Royal condos on the Riverwalk either.

countyman
20149
countyman 08/12/11 - 04:05 pm
......

......

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 08/12/11 - 04:23 pm
Countyman, what tourists are

Countyman, what tourists are visiting Augusta, other than the tournament?

Hotels will be important to visiting tournament goers, as they will be to passing motorist, traveling salesmen, and visitors to Augusta Medical Centers. Other than adding to the tax basis and providing some local jobs, aiding gas and food purchases, they really have no impact on the quality of life for most local citizens.

Greenville learning from Augusta is to borrow your description, "hilarious"!

desertcat6
desertcat6 08/12/11 - 04:25 pm
I, too, feel safe during

Crime Reports and Rewards TV
Crime Reports and Rewards TV 08/12/11 - 05:28 pm
desertcat wrote; "I, too,

desertcat wrote; "I, too, feel safe during trips to downtown during the day by myself. Before you let the 17 year old pic fool you. I'm now in a power wheelchair and paralyzed by ALS. Of course, my service dog may have something to do with it."

Your chair's probably got a hemi... An old soft side "briefcase" is perfect for your "carry". If you must it defends right through and the attacker goes to judgment without even seeing what hit them..

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 08/12/11 - 05:31 pm
Must be a Venus and Mars

Must be a Venus and Mars thing:)

Thanks Crime Report, for understanding.

KSL
KSL 08/12/11 - 06:36 pm
I felt safe in downtown

I felt safe in downtown Augusta in the late 80's and early 90's, even late at night, accompanied by my 6'4 husband. At 11:00 at night there were plenty of people on the RiverWalk. And there were police around. I also felt totally safe at Augusta Mall and often went there alone. I can't tell you the last time I went shopping in Augusta, other than at Sam's. What a shame. Augusta needs to get its act together.

hounddog
hounddog 08/12/11 - 10:29 pm
Augusta and the whole country

Augusta and the whole country need to address who is creating the violence. It pretty simple if you look at the statistics. But I guess that would not be politically correct and would be called racism by the liberals.

fftaz71
fftaz71 08/12/11 - 11:02 pm
Willow, I am female. I have

Willow, I am female. I have walked downtown by myself many times and not had any problems. No I dont walk with blinders on either..Im well aware that no matter where I am, at any moment, something could happen. But, it could happen in Columbia County, it could happen on Fort Gordon, it could happen in Richmond County. I have been downtown at night, albeit with my husband, but in my hometown, I have never been home at night. I grew up in a city that has double the murder rate per capita as NYC. Augusta has its problems, but after you live in a city (of comparable size to Augusta) that has an average of 64 murders per year, it is definitely not completely unsafe to go downtown.
A person has to be aware of their surroundings. Common sense says nothing good happens after certain times...and while I can understand the two guys walking to Huddle House at 230 after some drinking, the fact is they put themselves into that situation.

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/12/11 - 11:31 pm
FFtaz71, I'm curious as to

FFtaz71, I'm curious as to what city you lived that had 64 murders per year?

Iwannakno
Iwannakno 08/13/11 - 12:43 am
Well how many in Aiken

Well how many in Aiken countyman? You think? Aren't you the one always saying publish fact not opinion?

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 08/13/11 - 04:23 am
The only time I have ever had

The only time I have ever had to pull my pistol was downtown Augusta.

I love downtown, but ignoring the facts won't make it any better.

Brad

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 08/13/11 - 10:22 am
fftaz71, there are problems

fftaz71, there are problems every where as you suggest, but I've not been downtown in a long while when there was anyone round but the "thuglook". This also includes the shops on Walton Way close to town.

At least if I shop Aiken, Charleston, Madison, Athens, etc, I have other shoppers like myself and I don't feel vulnerable. The measure for merchants where women shop should be this: If it's not a place a woman can push her baby in a stroller, it's not a place where women want to shop.

Shopping is supposed to be fun and it's just no fun to carry a pistol to shop and look over your shoulder constantly.

It's not a put down of Augusta, it's reality. I would love to see changes and I believe with the right people in office, those changes can happen.