Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Armored truck robbed at bank

Columbia County authorities are looking for a man who robbed a Loomis armored truck parked at the Wells Fargo Bank at South Belair and Columbia roads on Tuesday morning.

A Loomis armored-truck driver tells police how a man with a weapon assaulted him and stole a bag of cash outside the Wells Fargo Bank branch on Belair Road at Columbia Road.   Valerie Rowell/Staff
Valerie Rowell/Staff

The truck driver was trying to put money into the ATM about 10:40 a.m. when the robber struck him with an unidentified weapon and took the cash, according to Columbia County sheriff's Capt. Steve Morris.

Morris said he wouldn't release how much money was taken from the driver and didn't want to speculate on Loomis' procedure regarding robberies.

Emergency workers were called, but the driver wasn't seriously injured.

The robber was described on sheriff's office scanner broadcasts as a slim, tall black man wearing a black cap, black muscle shirt and black shorts with white stripes. He was seen running from the area toward Highview Drive in Martinez.

A witness saw two black men in a green 2000 Ford Explorer leave the area. The vehicle had a Georgia license plate with the number BCW0231.

The sheriff's office has notified authorities in Harlem, Grovetown and Augusta.

Patty-P
Patty-P 08/09/11 - 11:36 am
Armored truck robberies will

Armored truck robberies will be the new fad for burglars. Money on wheels.

wondersnevercease
wondersnevercease 08/09/11 - 12:03 pm
I thought there were always

I thought there were always two guards..and one always guarded the other?............

commonsense-is-endangere
commonsense-is-endangere 08/09/11 - 12:31 pm
Cancer is spreading. No one

Cancer is spreading. No one is safe and there is nowhere to hide. When the moocher's pocket money,free/subsidized housing,food stamps,child and health care are cut it will get a lot worse. Soon they will be robbing people waiting at red lights.

Patty-P
Patty-P 08/09/11 - 12:39 pm
Belair Road is starting to

Belair Road is starting to get bad too. I left a nice restaraunt on Sunday evening in that area only to have a lady tapping on my window begging for gas money.

Granddaddy John
Granddaddy John 08/09/11 - 12:45 pm
Its time for you people to

Its time for you people to wake up and start carrying a weapon,but make sure you get your license and training first.All of my adult family members carry every where we go.never leave home without it.

countyman
19982
countyman 08/09/11 - 12:56 pm
The Chronicle needs to change

The Chronicle needs to change the headline of the article.. The real Belair rd is the residential area that runs between Wrightsboro rd and Powell rd in Richmond County...

South Belair rd is located in Martinez, and North Belair rd is apart of the Evans area... Columbia rd is dividing line between South and North Belair rd.

columbiacountynative
columbiacountynative 08/09/11 - 12:57 pm
Countryman why is that the

Countryman why is that the "real" Belair rd?

Patty-P
Patty-P 08/09/11 - 01:03 pm
ccnative...the restaurant was

ccnative...the restaurant was in the 'area' off Belair Road.

countyman
19982
countyman 08/09/11 - 01:10 pm
The 1986 mandatory drug

The 1986 mandatory drug sentences played a huge role.. Then factor in the racist and prejudice judges and prosecutors. On top of the criminals who can afford lawyer's compared to public defendants..

The Belair rd in Richmond County is actually called 'Belair' rd.. The other Belair roads have either an North, South, Old, etc infront of the word 'Belair'...

Patty-P
Patty-P 08/09/11 - 01:16 pm
I was in Evans, off N.

I was in Evans, off N. Belair. That isn't Richmond County.

dokken3605
dokken3605 08/09/11 - 01:27 pm
First of all it probably

First of all it probably wasnt the driver since they are not allowed out of vehicle unless the guard gets into the front passenger seat first then driver can get out and if he was out correctly then its the guards fault for not watching his partner and I wouldnt trust to work with him again but if they were both out then they probably will be fired .

Chillen
Chillen 08/09/11 - 01:37 pm
Thanks to the obama inflation

Thanks to the obama inflation plus QE1 & QE2, the money they got away with is worth only abot 60% what it was 2 years ago.

I think they should sue Wells Fargo!

Robberies, shootings, home invasions, bank holdups, food inflation, unemployment, high gas prices are becoming commonplace.

More "change" we can believe in. Yes we can!

Better buckle up America. The next few years are going to be very rough. I hope you have prepared yourselves! Beans, Bandaids & Bullets.

belle
belle 08/09/11 - 01:55 pm
While all of you are busy

While all of you are busy arguing about what part of Belair Rd is "real" or not and what color panhandler is acceptable, could someone please answer this question....WHAT was stolen? The driver's wallet? Watch? Money from the truck?

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 08/09/11 - 02:21 pm
There was another comment

There was another comment removed too, Patty, that was extemely racist and rude. I think that's why your's was removed to insure complete fairness:)

Patty-P
Patty-P 08/09/11 - 07:59 pm
I saw that Willow. I was

I saw that Willow. I was responding to the other poster because of their comment. All comments regarding race, however, have not been removed.
Belle....I believe the perp made off with a bag of cash (as described under the picture above).

bclicious
bclicious 08/09/11 - 04:02 pm
This is like something from

This is like something from OCEAN'S ELEVEN or something.

GaStang22
GaStang22 08/09/11 - 05:19 pm
I thought there were always 2

I thought there were always 2 so they could watch each others back also?? Inside job? Slack worker? I don't know, but I wish one of them would have put a bullet in the perp and stopped him permanently!!!

GaStang22
GaStang22 08/09/11 - 05:22 pm
commonsense-is-endangere, It

commonsense-is-endangere, It will be a cold day in you know where before that happens. It's their right and they are "entitled" to it just for breathing and procreating. Making people actually have to have some personal responsibility, not in this country!!! lol

Pu239
Pu239 08/09/11 - 08:40 pm
See Aberdeen MD for

See Aberdeen MD for details....don't forget your wallet....

Patty-P
Patty-P 08/09/11 - 09:29 pm
Excellent point Willow.

Excellent point Willow.

allhans
allhans 08/09/11 - 10:11 pm
Good help is hard to find

Good help is hard to find these days.

eagle
eagle 08/09/11 - 10:35 pm
I thought those guards were

I thought those guards were armed guards. They afraid to shoot or what? It's only going to get worse. Lock and load.

billyjones1949
billyjones1949 08/09/11 - 11:26 pm
Tag and truck were probably

Tag and truck were probably stolen. Can't say what I want to say because the post would not be here later. The guards should not be out of the truck with their backs turned and no weapons drawn.

allhans
allhans 08/10/11 - 02:56 am
Good going! A description of

Good going! A description of the robber, the get away car and the tag number.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 08/10/11 - 03:04 am
Hmmmm, something is not right

Hmmmm, something is not right about this. It just doesn't sound right to me.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 08/10/11 - 09:10 am
That was my thought Brad. How

That was my thought Brad. How could policy allow him to be that vulnerable?

sgmret
sgmret 08/10/11 - 10:52 am
This was a money run to

This was a money run to refill ATMs. They only had a driver on this run.

allhans
allhans 08/10/11 - 11:07 am
It would appear that the

It would appear that the robber only got the money that was taken from the ATM, or the money to refill it. I am curious to know how much.
I have been to a drive thru ATM while it was being "serviced" and have never seen more than one man.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 08/10/11 - 06:15 pm
I'm guessing the robber got

I'm guessing the robber got the drop on him while he was working outside; if it was the unattached ATM, it is not difficult to come from the adjacent plaza or Mickey-D's using the armoured car itself to screen his approach. It appears the guard had an attack of common sense. Think about it: Would you go into a gunfight for the money these guys are paid? Second, the loss is fully insured; the bank will probably claim more was taken- and for this you want the guard to risk his life?

majic
majic 08/10/11 - 08:10 pm
Well, I wasn't there and I

Well, I wasn't there and I don't know the TRUTH of the matter. However, I do know that something about this version of the story does not ring true. First, one supposedly suspect is seen running towards a subdivision behind CVS. Secondly, a witness observes a Ford Explorer, with full license plate revelaed leaving the area. With nothing else reported to the public, a conclusion that the occupants in the truck were involved. Thus, the person of interest. What if, just what if, those persons driving the Explorere had absolutely nothing to do with the robbery but at least one person's face is plastered on the news. I would imagine the cops ran the license and came up with the registered owner, thus he is on the news as a "person of interest". Again, I too am guessing, but at least, I am giving everyone involved the benefit of the doubt until someone is proven guilty by the legal sysetm and not the media or the public, especially those who are not capable of looking outside the box.