Boy, 12, is shot to death in McDuffie County

THOMSON --- A 12-year-old boy was shot and killed Monday morning in eastern McDuffie County, according to the Georgia Bureau of Investigation.

McDuffie County Coroner Rhusha Mack said Michael Dingus was pronounced dead at 10:23 a.m.

GBI special agent Pat Morgan said that McDuffie County dispatchers received a call about 9:20 a.m. and that authorities from McDuffie and Columbia counties and the Georgia State Patrol responded to the 1400 block of Jean Road.

"It appears that two juveniles were away from the home down near a pond and one of them was shot," Morgan said shortly after noon. "We're not ruling out anything at this point."

Morgan later said the other boy, who was 13, shot the 12-year-old in the chest with some sort of rifle.

Police are still trying to determine whether the shooting was accidental. The victim will undergo an autopsy today.

Morgan said officers answering the call intercepted a vehicle with the victim in it at the intersection of Jean and Smith Crawford roads.

The GBI was later called.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 08/08/11 - 01:01 pm
How very sad, my prayers are

How very sad, my prayers are with both families.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/08/11 - 02:47 pm
How very sad for all

How very sad for all involved..

rbndawn
rbndawn 08/09/11 - 04:33 am
This is atragedy. Still, how

This is atragedy. Still, how come are two minors in possesion of a rifle without an adult present?

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 08/09/11 - 05:50 am
When I was 10, my best friend

When I was 10, my best friend was accidentally shot and killed by his 13 year old brother.

onceahyre
onceahyre 08/09/11 - 08:41 am
Jason....doesn't matter where

Jason....doesn't matter where you are from....You don't give minors guns.PERIOD!!!! (this is not to say these families did) My son is thirteen and has a gun, that he hunts with, but we certainly do not give it to him unsupervised or let him play with it. Praying for both families involved!

reba530
reba530 08/09/11 - 11:24 pm
Amen onceahyre. People always

Amen onceahyre. People always try and make something out of nothing. This is so sad. A 12 yr old boy had to lose his life because of a senseless act. May the Lord watch over this family and give them the strength they need. So very sad

rbndawn
rbndawn 08/10/11 - 02:03 am
No Jason I'm not from the

No Jason I'm not from the south, the very first time I purchased a firearm the first thing I did was take a fire arm safety class, my 13 year old was to young back then to take it but I made sure he learned all the safety aspects about how to use it, No, he does not own one I do and let him use when we go to the shooting range and the fire arms are locked on a safe. You must be completelly out of your mind to allow a minor to judge when or how to use a firearm without adult supervision. That is a mentallity of "the south" I just can wrap my head around.