Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Woman killed in relative's Burke County home

A 29-year-old Augusta woman was shot and killed Tuesday afternoon in her father-in-law's home in Burke County, according to the Burke County sheriff.

Burke County Coroner Lee Webster identified the woman as Amy Nicole Brown. She was pronounced dead at 4:40 p.m. at Burke County Hospital.

Sheriff Greg Coursey said county deputies and the Georgia Bureau of Investigation were trying to determine whether the death was accidental, as Brown's husband and his father told officers.

Coursey said Brown went with her husband to visit his father at his home on Greiner Circle in Burke County.

Her husband told officers he was handling a .40-caliber handgun when it discharged and shot the woman.

She was shot in her lower abdomen, the sheriff said.

Her husband's father called police between 4 and 4:30 p.m., Coursey said.

Both men were taken to the Burke County jail for questioning.

Coursey said the GBI was investigating the "very, very small room" where the shooting occurred to determine whether the evidence fits the explanation given by the two men.

Late Tuesday, Burke County Sgt. Detrick Smith said the father-in-law of the victim was released, but the victim's husband remained at the jail after telling police he was on probation for felony marijuana charges.

Coursey said Brown's body will be sent to the GBI crime lab today for an autopsy.

scoopdedoop64
scoopdedoop64 07/26/11 - 08:48 pm
Such a sad situation. How

Such a sad situation. How can they determine whether this shooting is intentional or not? She is not alive to testify and if both men are saying the same thing then it will be hard to dissprove. My question is why would you have a loaded gun with no safety on and it just dischareges by itself? Not blaming anybody but just considering the situation and wondering how this could have happened? If truly an accident they my heart goes out to the husband and father.

billyjones1949
billyjones1949 07/26/11 - 10:25 pm
I wonder if the pistol was a

I wonder if the pistol was a .40 cal Glock. They say that is a very easy gun to discahage accidentely.

Vito45
Vito45 07/26/11 - 10:40 pm
I own a Glock .40 and it is

I own a Glock .40 and it is true; it makes me a little nervous because if one is chambered there is no safety. If one didn't understand the weapon and put pressure on the trigger it WILL fire. I stopped carrying it and went to a smaller, safer .380 ultralight.

Cadence
Cadence 07/27/11 - 03:23 am
How horrible

How horrible

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 07/27/11 - 05:06 am
Burke county.

Burke county.

wlightnin42
wlightnin42 07/27/11 - 05:16 am
This is why we have so many

This is why we have so many people for such strict gun laws. You need to treat a gun like it is always loaded, Learn correct gun control. Hope it was just an accident, but people be more aware.

dmb78
dmb78 07/27/11 - 07:37 am
Convicted felons are not

Convicted felons are not allowed to have guns, so her husband has already broken the law by even having a gun.

scoopdedoop64
scoopdedoop64 07/27/11 - 07:47 am
Vito45, thanks for the info

Vito45, thanks for the info on the Glock. I own a 22 cal. Walther P22 pistol. It has 3 separate safeties on it that makes it harder for an accident to happen. It's a great little gun but I still treat it with the utmost care as to avoid an accident. Based on the info I have read on the Glock and your post, I don't think it is a very safe gun but its very popular with people.

knightmom
knightmom 07/27/11 - 07:53 am
I agree with dmb78..

I agree with dmb78.. convicted felons are not allowed to have guns.

stillamazed
stillamazed 07/27/11 - 08:03 am
The gun may not be his, it

The gun may not be his, it may belong to the father either way it is very sad for such a young woman to lose her life.

Casting_Fool
Casting_Fool 07/27/11 - 08:13 am
Glocks have a safety. It's

Glocks have a safety. It's integral to the trigger, and it's designed to make the weapon faster to fire when you remove it from the holster. You have to pull the trigger to release the safety and fire the weapon, it cannot be discharged otherwise. This is one of the reason Glocks are so popular with law enforcement and civilian owners.

As with any weapon, you should not have your finger on the trigger until ready to fire, the finger should be on the trigger guard, not the trigger. Someone was either careless in handling the weapon, or it was deliberately fired. Hopefully the investigation will determine which it was.

You have to follow these rules every time you handle a firearm:

RULE 1. Treat every gun as if it were loaded.

RULE 2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.

RULE 3. Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire.

RULE 4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Note: Learn these rules until you can recite them without looking.

More at http://www.gacarry.org

Tyler-Ray_Daddy
Tyler-Ray_Daddy 07/27/11 - 08:27 am
My heart goes out to the

My heart goes out to the innocent victim & I hope she has gone to a much better place. As for the handler of the pistol, he deserves to be locked up for years. My young son knows better than to even point a toy gun at a person whether loaded or not. 2ndly, why is a round even in the chamber? Don't blame the pistol; stupid is as stupid does.

scoopdedoop64
scoopdedoop64 07/27/11 - 08:48 am
casting_fool, good post and

casting_fool, good post and important to know and remember. As I look at the Glock, you're right, the only way to have it fire is by pulling the trigger. Problem is, some silly people have a tendency of pulling the gun out of the holster while placing their finger on the triger resulting in some missing toes. So an extra safety is in my opinion a good thing but it does slow one down in an emergency situation to have to turn off the safety. So I guess it comes down to what people are wanting. As you well stated, if people would follow those 4 rules then many lives could be saved. One important thing to know is that if one does not use the safety found in that hard case between the ears, no amount of safety equipment will help.

Vito45
Vito45 07/27/11 - 09:28 am
Castingfool, you are assuming

Castingfool, you are assuming people handle guns safely; they don't. As I said in my original post, if someone didn't know the safety is in the trigger, it could easily get discharged. That was my worry with my 27; that if the trigger snagged on something or if I carelessly put it in a spot where the uninformed picked it up, it is less safe than a weapon with a positive safety.

dmb78
dmb78 07/27/11 - 10:37 am
If you check out their

If you check out their criminal history on the Richmond County docket...they both have an extensive history of drug charges, both meth and marijuana...doesn't seem like either one of them should be around weapons. Mr. McCook has been in and out of jail for drug charges since 2000. My question is...why wasn't he still in jail after being a repeat drug offender...not just possession, but intent to distribute as well.

Casting_Fool
Casting_Fool 07/27/11 - 09:23 pm
Vito45 wrote: "Castingfool,

Vito45 wrote: "Castingfool, you are assuming people handle guns safely..."

Actually, I'm not. I generally assume that everyone's an idiot when it comes to weapon's safety, and that the knowledgeable person who knows how to handle a weapon is rare.

You have to be extra careful with a Glock. It's not the sort of weapon that you can just hand to anyone without being absolutely sure that they know what they're doing. And like you said, you have to be careful handling it yourself.

I'm always careful to lay my finger along side of the trigger guard until I intend to fire, and I'm also careful to keep my thumb away from the safety on my own weapon until it's out of the holster and pointed in the direction that I intend to fire it.

Of course, this is all conjecture as we don't know what type of weapon was involved in the shooting. Dumb mistakes can happen with any kind of weapon, especially if you're tired, distracted, drinking or using drugs.

Casting_Fool
Casting_Fool 07/27/11 - 09:38 pm
I love jasonbennet's post: "A

I love jasonbennet's post: "A gun is as safe as the person handling it! Guns don't kill, idiots do!"

If they did away with everything that can be used to kill people, they'd have to ban booze, tobacco, automobiles and almost any other vehicle, pantyhose, phone cords, baseball bats, golf clubs, bricks, rat poison, almost every drug legal and otherwise, rocks, tree limbs, probably pencils (aka the Joker), along with all of the weapons, explosives, knives, swords and hand grenades.

... and then folks would just find something else to do the deed with.

It's my own opinion that people kill people, inanimate objects don't kill anyone except in natural accidents. Sometimes people acting stupidly kill people, and sometimes it's wicked people who do the killing. But it's always a person, no matter what weapon they use, whether the killing is intended or an accident.

Vito45
Vito45 07/28/11 - 04:30 pm
Casting_fool: "It's my own

Casting_fool: "It's my own opinion that people kill people, inanimate objects don't kill anyone except in natural accidents."

So true, and yet gun control advocates think "just one more law" will limit handgun deaths. Maybe it will, but it will NOT stop someone bent on homicide. Hinckley would have just sawed off a shotgun and hid under his jaclket. That putz who killed those folks in Aiken would have used a baseball bat had nothing else been available.
What about that nut in Norway? He didn't use a handgun, he used a rifle; and if anyone believes there wouldn't be an underground market if ALL weapons were banned, they are as delusional as that cat.

December pet adoptions fall at Augusta shelter

After peaking at 120 adoptions in 2011, December has fallen from its spot as the most popular pet adoption month at Augusta Animal Services.