Steelers Hines Ward arrested on DUI charges in DeKalb

DECATUR, Ga. — Pittsburgh Steelers star wide receiver Hines Ward was arrested early today on a drunken driving charge, sheriff's officials said.

DeKalb jail photo of Hines Ward  Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Atlanta Journal-Constitution
DeKalb jail photo of Hines Ward

The former Super Bowl MVP and reigning Dancing With the Stars champ was booked into the DeKalb County jail just outside Atlanta at 3:41 a.m. and charged with driving under the influence. He was released on $1,300 bond.

The sheriff's office said it had turned over paperwork to the courts and couldn't release any further information about the player's arrest.

A Steelers spokesman did not immediately respond to a message, and it was not immediately clear if Ward had an attorney.

Since being drafted in the third round out of Georgia in 1998, the 35-year-old Ward has been a four-time Pro Bowl selection and won two Super Bowls.

Dancing with professional partner Kym Johnson, Ward in May became the second professional football player to win the "Dancing" crown after Emmitt Smith won in 2006. He bested actresses Kirstie Alley and Chelsea Kane to become the season 12 champion of the TV celebrity dance competition.

scoopdedoop64
scoopdedoop64 07/09/11 - 10:52 am
This guy has tremendous

This guy has tremendous talents and abilities and overall may be a great guy. But making the choice to drink and drive is foolish and more important can be deadly. I don't understand why people who can afford a cab or can afford to wait till the alcohol is out of their system before they drive get into a car and put lives in danger. We constantly see people killed by drunk drivers and the heartbreak it is to families and yet it doesn't seem to stop people. Now Ward will get a lot attention because of his stardom and how this will affect his career. Personally, I don't care about his career. I care about who could have been killed because he got behind the wheel.

fishman960
fishman960 07/09/11 - 11:11 am
Scoop, it's called "impaired

Scoop, it's called "impaired judgement". And anyone that drinks has probably driven when they shouldn't have. I know I have. I admire Hines and all his achievements! No human is perfect, we all err.

Augusta resident
Augusta resident 07/09/11 - 11:17 am
He can afford it.

He can afford it.

Rise From The Shadows
Rise From The Shadows 07/09/11 - 11:56 am
Fishman you are right all

Fishman you are right all humans make mistakes but DUI is a BIG ONE. He's just lucky all the happened was he got pulled over and arrested. It could've ended with his death or the deaths of someone's innocent loved ones. Drinking and driving is no laughing matter. Let me share a personal family story with you:

On Thanksgiving night 1982 things were being wrapped up at my grandparents' home. He said goodnight to his son Guy AKA Buddy and his daughter-in-law Reta and two granddaughters Sarah(1 month old) and Mendy(7 years old) and they left and were driving back to Reta's mothers where they were to spend the night before going back to North Carolina the next morning. My grandparents cleaned up all the dishes and my grandpa had just sat down to a beer and a Poker game with his good friend Bob and my Grandpa had one foot in the shower when there was a loud knock on the front door....

My grandpa answered and it was two very somber looking police officers. They told him his daughter-in-law had been killed on impact when she had the green light and the right of way to go and a car in another lane ran his red light and hit their car going at least 60 mph. Buddy was alive but very critical and on his way to the hospital. The baby had survived after being thrown in car seat through the windshield with only minor injuries and Mendy(the 7 year) had two broken legs. My grandparents rushed to the hospital to be by Buddy's side. When they got there he was in surgery and they waited for someone to tell them how bad it was and if he was going to be okay. Finally after was seemed like hours the doctor came out on told my grandpa the worst possible news any parent can receive "I'm sorry Sir, we did everything we could but your son has passed away"....afterward I was told my grandpa started punching the wall and "damning God for taking his son" and the waiting room was full of many others that awful night shedding lots of tears. In the span on just an hour two children...one only a month old...had just lost both of their parents. Later on it was determined that the guy who hit my Aunt and Uncle that night was 3x the legal limit. He was arrested and charged with DUI and went to court and basically received a slap on the wrist(probation and no jail time) as his punishment. A few years later he wound up killing himself and another innocent driver in another similar drunk driving incident.

The reason I've shared this personal family story is to show you that drinking and driving DOES costs lives. Drinking and driving could cost yours or someone elses' lives. If you're lucky you won't kill or hurt anyone but yourself and if you're really lucky no one will be harmed except your bank account when you're paying legal fees for that DUI you were charged with. I realize people are going to drink. This isn't an anti-alcohol rant at all. I enjoy a few drinks every now and again myself. All I'm asking is that when you go out to that party this weekend or ANY party on ANY weekend please plan for your safety and the safety of the others on the street with you. There is no reason any person should have to die in a drunk driving incident. There is no reason for any to have to be arrested and charged with DUI and stuck with paying huge legal fees. It can all be so easily avoided.

There really is no excuse for drunk driving or DUIs. If you know you're going to go out and drink MAKE PLANS BEFORE HAND TO GET YOURSELF HOME! Have a designated driver. If you don't have a DD call one of the cab companies around here...some of them will even drive you home for FREE if you're drunk and don't have the cash. I even think some towing services around here will come get you and your car and take you home if need them too also some for free as well. Call a family member. Call a friend! There are options people. Think and plan ahead before you go party...the life you save could be yours or someone's son, daughter, brother, sister, aunt, uncle, mother, or father. THINK PEOPLE! THINK! And plan ahead it's not that difficult. I go out on occasion and have a few drinks with my friends but I always have a designated driver or someone to pick me up. Or we just stay at my friends house and put the car keys up and no one drives if they've been drinking. You can still have fun responsibly. It's not hard. Believe me.

fishman960
fishman960 07/09/11 - 12:19 pm
Rise, that is a tragic story

Rise, that is a tragic story and I am sorry for your loss. I have been very lucky in that I have made many stupid decisions that could have ended very badly for myself or others. One of the worst would have been a high speed chase I had when I was 21. I was sober. I didn't want to pill over because I had a probation warrant. It lasted 30 mins in 4 counties at speeds of over 120 mph and ended with me getting stuck in a ditch. Other than two cops that sideswiped each other, there were no accidents.
I could have very well been the other driver in your story.
I guess my point is that you don't have to be drunk to make a bad decision.

fishman960
fishman960 07/09/11 - 12:32 pm
I was in a motorcycle

I was in a motorcycle accident where the other rider lost his life. Again I was purely sober. Narrow path, two bikes hauling tail toward each other, unavoidable. Tragic.

charliemanson
charliemanson 07/09/11 - 01:10 pm
Somebody got tired of him

Somebody got tired of him fooling the public.

Sweet son
Sweet son 07/09/11 - 01:33 pm
Rise, I had the pleasure of

Rise, I had the pleasure of going to HS with Guy and Reta. I also had the pleasure of working with Sam. All three were great human beings. Sam and his wife spent their grandparenting years raising the two grandchildren as if they were their own children. Sam has gone on to Heaven to be with Guy and Reta and we all have to say what a great job he did with his life. They were all good decent people who had so much to offer. God bless them!!

Riverman1
82055
Riverman1 07/09/11 - 05:29 pm
Somebody get Hines in touch

Somebody get Hines in touch with Ben Harbin's lawyer.

Craig Spinks
Craig Spinks 07/09/11 - 07:55 pm
Alcohol intoxication, 36

Alcohol intoxication, 36 birthdays, and success in retaining a starting position with the offense of a Super Bowl-aspiring team do not make a credible combination.

freeradical
freeradical 07/14/11 - 11:08 am
I just want to know why smug

I just want to know why smug smiley ain't smiling ?

Thats what he does , don't you know.

Anyone ? Bueller ? Austin?

Project hits snag over restroom

The Augusta Regional Collaborative Project, a creation of Mayor Deke Copenhaver, hit a roadblock this week when a city inspector declared the Metro Augusta Chamber of Commerce building unfit for ...