Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Police say man was drunk, ran into tree

A Martinez man was arrested Thursday morning after he ran straight into a tree while trying to flee police.

Eric William Lewis, 23, of the 200 block of Brooks Drive, was charged with public drunkenness, a county ordinance violation. He was released from the Columbia County Detention Center after posting a $500 bond.

Someone called police about 2:15 a.m. concerning a drunken man walking in the road in the 4900 block of Wrightsboro Road, according to a Columbia County Sheriff's Office incident report. When the deputy tried to talk to Lewis and told him to stop walking, he started running away.

Lewis ran about 25 feet before hitting the tree, according to the report.

The deputy smelled alcohol on Lewis, who admitted he'd been drinking . His blood alcohol level was 0.229, almost three times the level considered legally drunk, according to a field alcohol sensor.

Craig Spinks
Craig Spinks 07/07/11 - 02:16 pm
At least he wasn't behind the

At least he wasn't behind the wheel of a car when "...he ran into a tree...."

180 IQ means Im smarter than you
180 IQ means Im smarter than you 07/07/11 - 02:17 pm
What a geinus!

What a geinus!

corgimom
corgimom 07/07/11 - 02:34 pm
I LOVE that last comment, by

I LOVE that last comment, by the poster named "180 IQ means Im smarter than you"- and then spelled "genius" as geinus.

This is why this blog is THE BEST free entertainment there is!

This made my day! What would the world be, without those geinuses!

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/07/11 - 02:38 pm
Yeah corgi.....I feel sooo

Yeah corgi.....I feel sooo lucky we are posting with the mensa folks.....esp.since only 2.2% have IQs over 130+ ...how dim lucky can we get??

BamaMan
BamaMan 07/07/11 - 02:44 pm
A grown man...running...and

A grown man...running...and runs into a tree. Bahahahahahahaha!!

MomInRC
MomInRC 07/07/11 - 02:45 pm
Hahaha Corgi and Seenit! You

Hahaha Corgi and Seenit! You said what I was thinking.

180 IQ means Im smarter than you
180 IQ means Im smarter than you 07/07/11 - 02:50 pm
I spelled it wrong on pupose

I spelled it wrong on pupose By the way My IQ is probably lower than most folks. Where is your sense of humor folks?

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/07/11 - 02:51 pm
RCmom.....I think he wanted

RCmom.....I think he wanted to get our attention...hahah....he did....btw he sez he is from St Simons ....or lives there...I bet he spends a lot of time in the sun....you know how that ole sun will bake your brain...but good fishing there. LOL

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/07/11 - 02:53 pm
Well iQ...we now know the IQ

Well iQ...we now know the IQ isn't accurate....is the picture real??

180 IQ means Im smarter than you
180 IQ means Im smarter than you 07/07/11 - 02:57 pm
Yea it was thanksgiving last

Yea it was thanksgiving last year. Pretty stupid huh. My daughter told me to make a funny face but I had no idea it would come out that.

180 IQ means Im smarter than you
180 IQ means Im smarter than you 07/07/11 - 03:00 pm
Yea I live on St. Simons and

Yea I live on St. Simons and you're right the fishing is phenomenal! I lived in Augusta for a few years and it still holds a special place in my hart.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/07/11 - 03:00 pm
Nah....just real...what kind

Nah....just real...what kind of fish do you have on that plate?

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/07/11 - 03:02 pm
What part of Augusta??

What part of Augusta??

180 IQ means Im smarter than you
180 IQ means Im smarter than you 07/07/11 - 03:04 pm
Croaker. I lived in Forest

Croaker. I lived in Forest Hills off of Lake Forest Drive. Across from where the old Va hospital was. Absolutely gorgeous area!

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/07/11 - 03:37 pm
The *********(that

The *********(that area)TOOMUCH info..

Chillen
Chillen 07/07/11 - 03:21 pm
Three comments. First. Why

Three comments.

First. Why is public drunkenness a "crime" worthy of going to jail? Aren't there bigger fish to fry these days?

Second. What an idiot. Who runs into a tree?!

Lastly. I know it isn't CC Sheriff's jurisdiction, but 5 miles down the road, 2 hours earlier, a man had a gun put to his head & was robbed. The police can find & jail a drunk of legal drinking age but they can't find & jail crooks. Just great.

Patty-P
Patty-P 07/07/11 - 04:00 pm
180 IQ...you were journalist

180 IQ...you were journalist with a ME (from Stanford), and have authored 3 novels....wow.

As to the story, why wasn't the perp charged with fleeing an officer? He barely spent any time in jail.

Sweet son
Sweet son 07/07/11 - 05:09 pm
Hey Corgi if you are out

Hey Corgi if you are out there go to wimp.com. If you have Corgis there is a video there that you will like. This has nothing to do with the story!

Dixieman
Dixieman 07/07/11 - 08:57 pm
Wile E. Coyote?

Wile E. Coyote?

lucky99mp
lucky99mp 07/07/11 - 09:00 pm
He did not run into the tree!

He did not run into the tree! The tree was working undercover with the Columbia Co Sheriff’s Office! WTG CCSO.

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 07/08/11 - 12:41 am
Myfather15, great post. Some

Myfather15, great post. Some will never get it while others will continue to berate law enforcement no matter what they do.

tckr1983
tckr1983 07/08/11 - 01:07 am
Do I hear a Tosh.0 web

Do I hear a Tosh.0 web redemption??? PLEASE tell me there's video evidence on a police cruiser cam... because this. would. be. hilarious!

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 07/08/11 - 08:46 am
Patty-P.

Patty-P.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 07/08/11 - 08:47 am
Good one. lucky99mp

Good one. lucky99mp

JAndy
JAndy 07/12/11 - 09:23 am
What I would like to know is,

What I would like to know is, why the concern to put the hand held alco-sensor reading in the report. Legally drunk? Only in the case of a DUI. There is no designated burden of proof for "public drunk" concerning the amount of alcohol in one's system. What relevance does this have to the story. Many factors that support a public drunk charge. However, an alco- sensor field sobriety is not needed. Deputies have to do so much today that is a waste of time. Legally Drunk what a joke of a comment. People if you are walking down the road nothing in the law requires you to take a alco sensor test. Regardless what time of the day. They can't suspend your license. What an idiotic statement to put in this report, "legally drunk." Take the time to find Public Drunk in any county ordinance book or state charge and see what the requirements are. There is not a requirement for the blood alcohol level. You wold be surprised at how easy it is to be charged with public drunk. Of course according to the report this guy was public drunk. Why do we need useless information?

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/12/11 - 09:31 am
JAndy, perfect post and just

JAndy, perfect post and just the kind of cynical view that impresses me. If we are going to start giving everyone in public breathalyzer tests or better stilll drug tests we've gone a little too far. He wasn't driving and was simply walking. His only crime was running away. If he had stayed put and the officer had tested him, found his alcohol level to be high, so what? It's not against the law to walk down the street over the legal limit to drive a car as long as you are not breaking the law in other ways. This is coming from someone who doesn't even drink anymore.

JAndy
JAndy 07/17/11 - 10:21 am
Thanks Riverman. However, I

Thanks Riverman. However, I don't know if I would have used cynical. Trustful or factual would have been better in this situation. I can be intoxicated sitting in my front yard or your front yard (with your permission). I can be drunk. As long as I am not being loud, being a nuisance, disturbing the public and a list of other things. They can't say I am public drunk. But, like a dummy this guy did other things. I am not perfect I do things I am not suppose to do. If I am caught I will own up to my wrong. If you are arresting me.. Better make sure you are doing EVERYTHING right and within the law.

SRS shipments halted until 2016

Savannah River Site can't resume shipments of Cold War nuclear waste materials to an underground repository in New Mexico until at least 2016 when the federal government reopens the facility to ...