Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Augusta man accused of pointing gun in traffic

Columbia County authorities responded to a disturbance Thursday evening at Bobby Jones Expressway and Washington Road, where a gun was allegedly pulled on a motorist, according to the sheriff's office.

Sheriff's Capt. Steve Morris said Darren Bernard Rogers, 18, of the 2400 block of Yates Drive in Augusta, pointed a firearm at another individual while in traffic. Deputies arrived about 6 p.m. and Morris said they attempted to stop the suspect, who wrecked his car while trying to escape.

Rogers was charged with driving while unlicensed, fleeing/attempting to elude and pointing a firearm at another.

Jenna Martin of the Columbia County Bureau contriburted to this report.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 07/07/11 - 08:05 pm
This is short on info.

This is short on info.

Jason Wermers
Jason Wermers 07/07/11 - 08:37 pm
That's all we have right now.

That's all we have right now. When we get more, we'll post it.

Sweet son
Sweet son 07/07/11 - 08:41 pm
Willow, you need to get a

Willow, you need to get a scanner. The call was exciting and the best thing was that the bad guys were caught and no one got hurt. Best I could tell dudes pulled the gun on a motorist at Bobby Jones and Washington Rd. Victim gave a good description of the vehicle and tag number. They were all caught in the area of Affordable Insurance and the gun was recovered behind some of the businesses along Washington Rd between Bobby Jones and Iron and Steel Blvd.

albertoli
albertoli 07/07/11 - 10:58 pm
note this young man's name.

note this young man's name. when he gets out of custody you will be reading about him again and we'll be paying for his lodging, food, and medical bills

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 07/08/11 - 12:46 am
Excellent job by the CCSO and

Excellent job by the CCSO and to the motorist who obtained the needed information.

Unfortunately, others are right, this is only the begining of this young mans future behind bars at our expense.

scooter2762
scooter2762 07/08/11 - 09:44 am
Someone needs to fix the

Someone needs to fix the headline from "Augusta man accused of pointing fun in traffic".

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 07/09/11 - 10:03 am
Whew. Probably stopped

Whew. Probably stopped another robbery of Affordable Insurance! I hope they question them about it. We need more proactive, observant citizenry like this. If I had had better eyesight a few years ago (I had been post-poning getting my eyes checked and didn't realize how really bad my eye-sight had gradually become) I would have been able to identify certain tags and faces that I could have better reported on. I'm glad this sharp-eyed citizen helped track this guy down.

TrukinRanger
TrukinRanger 07/09/11 - 11:50 am
I hope they DID actually find

I hope they DID actually find the gun as mentioned in a post above. I also hope they charged the suspect with the correct charges! I sat on a jury in Colorado for a road rage incident where the accused brandished "something". The accuser said it was a gun so those are the charges that were filed against the thug. Afterwards it came out that they never found a gun but a metal pipe. The difference in the charges from a firearm to another weapon was why he got acquitted of the charges. He was guilty for threatening the lady, but since those charges were specifically for a firearm we had to let him go!!! A mere technical issue. (made me sick cause I wanted to vote guilty for being a .......)

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 07/10/11 - 01:32 pm
BTW, I don't need a scanner

BTW, I don't need a scanner for excitement in my life. All I have to do is turn the TV off and I can hear gunfire a little too close for comfort some nights. Don't need that kind of excitement.

NoHayManera
NoHayManera 07/11/11 - 07:02 pm
Ladies and Gentlemen we have

Ladies and Gentlemen we have a new Augusta record!!! This Augustan was able to drive an entire mile into Columbia County before becoming a piece of ..... They're getting better at it. Normally Augustans can't pass Walmart before that happens.