Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Motive in Wagener slayings unknown

Suspect took own life after attempting to hit officers with vehicle, officers returned fire

Authorities have not yet uncovered a motive for Kenneth Myers, 47, the gunman suspected of fatally shooting four women Saturday before killing himself in Wagener early Sunday.

Ken Myers: Wagener man shot his wife, her sister, their mother and his ex-girlfriend Saturday, authorities said.   Special
Special

Aiken County sheriff's Capt. Charles Barranco said investigators had been working since Saturday night to piece the story together but still have questions.

The sheriff's office received a call around 6 p.m. Saturday that led them to a home on Daytona Road, where deputies found three women dead, each from a single gunshot wound.

Aiken County Coroner Tim Carlton identified the women as Angela M. Myers, 25, the wife of the alleged gunman; Tabitha T. Brown, 25, her twin sister; and Vicki May Hook Brown, 50, their mother.

Authorities began searching for Kenneth Myers and questioning people he knew in the area.

About 1 a.m. Sunday, during those checks, deputies found Myers' ex-girlfriend, Esther Baldwin, 47, dead from a single gunshot wound at her home in the 600 block of Big Branch Road.

Wagener police later spotted Myers in Baldwin's vehicle, and a chase involving police and sheriff's deputies ensued.

Barranco could provide few details of the chase, but said deputies and Wagener police shot at Myers when he tried to ram his vehicle into police vehicles.

The chase ended back at the original location on Daytona Road, where Myers shot himself, Barranco said.

Carlton ruled the women's deaths homicides and Kenneth Myers' death a suicide.

The sheriff's office requested that regional and crime scene agents with the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division investigate the officer involved shooting around 3:25 a.m.

Neither Barranco nor a SLED spokeswoman could say whether Myers was hit by police gunfire or how long the chase lasted.

The home where Myers lived on Old 96 Indian Trail was about a five-minute drive from his wife's home.

Dan Robbins, his neighbor, said Myers installed windshields for a living.

He described Myers as a "strange bird" who kept to himself, but not someone he thought was capable of inflicting such violence.

Some days, the two would chat by the fence that separates their properties while Myers worked in his vegetable garden.

On Sunday, narrow driveways barred by iron gates and no-trespassing signs tacked onto trees were the only signs of life along the road.

Barranco, SLED and Carlton said the investigation is ongoing. The coroner said autopsies are scheduled for today in Newberry, S.C., and toxicology is pending.

Reach Tracey McManus and Kyle Martin at (706) 724-0851.

Iwannakno
Iwannakno 07/03/11 - 06:49 am
Goodbye and thanks for saving

Goodbye and thanks for saving us the money for a trial and incarceration!

TK3
TK3 07/03/11 - 08:18 am
I don't know what he had

I don't know what he had against the victims but to bad others had to die before-he decided to off himself.

Taylor B
Taylor B 07/03/11 - 11:41 am
Yes, he did this backwards...

Yes, he did this backwards...

GaStang22
GaStang22 07/03/11 - 12:31 pm
Agreed. Condolences to the

Agreed. Condolences to the families.

happychimer
19537
happychimer 07/03/11 - 02:10 pm
The jail report lists the

The jail report lists the victims' names which includes his ex wife.wrdw also reports the names of the victims.

happychimer
19537
happychimer 07/03/11 - 02:13 pm
He killed his wife, his

He killed his wife, his wife's sister, his mother-in-law, and his ex wife.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 07/03/11 - 03:03 pm
happy chimer and double

happy chimer and double standard, your reading comprehension is off and so is your timing. Read my post again. Double-Standard I made no excuses for anyone. I'm simply saying nothing had been proven yet at the time you posted your comment I responded to. Your false inference is not appreciated. Happy chimer NO WHERE did I DEFEND A KILLER and I don't appreciate you libeling me, either, or at the least totally misrepresenting what I wrote. The South Carolina Law Enforcement Division is still investigating the entire scenario as it states in the story right above. IF everything was cut and dried that wouldn't be necessary. So you think you know more than they do?

happychimer
19537
happychimer 07/03/11 - 04:59 pm
Autumn it is their job to

Autumn it is their job to investigate, and my instincts tell me he killed those people. Police were looking for him before the murders were were discovered.

Klrest
Klrest 07/03/11 - 07:11 pm
Gastang22, as a member of the

Gastang22, as a member of the family of three of the victims. Thank you for your post. As for the other post on here. The police have not released all information and will not until it is completed. Look at the bigger picture. Four people were tragically killed.

happychimer
19537
happychimer 07/03/11 - 08:30 pm
Klrest I am sorry for your

Klrest I am sorry for your loss.

Vito45
Vito45 07/03/11 - 09:24 pm
I agree with the person who

I agree with the person who said too bad he didn't start with himself first.

Klrest
Klrest 07/03/11 - 10:47 pm
Sorry if my post misled

Sorry if my post misled anyone. There isn't anyone in the family and I doubt law enforcement that question his guilt. We want to know why! As stated in various articles. Authorities knew he had plans to harm several people and were investigating. The twins had four other siblings and Tabitha had two small children of her own. Please keep them in your prayers.

happychimer
19537
happychimer 07/03/11 - 10:52 pm
Klrest I will.

Klrest I will.

gwizzzzz
gwizzzzz 07/04/11 - 04:41 am
I actually read all the

I actually read all the posts, and I had to become a menber of this so I can say to happychimer and autumnleaves: how on earth can you two be bickering over such a petty thing as labeling and who said what and whatever. The bottom line is that altogether 5 people are dead including the suspected killer. Cmon people think about the love ones left behind and what they must be going through. Really!!! Put aside your petty quarrels and anger at each other over who said what and point that anger towards the person who did it. Once we find who that is. Not that it will do you any good. People are still dead!!!

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 07/04/11 - 04:36 pm
Just terrible. What could

Just terrible. What could have triggered all that violence?

Bizarre.

Brad

happychimer
19537
happychimer 07/04/11 - 05:24 pm
I read that he was a control

I read that he was a control freak that would not allow his ex to cut her hair, work nor wear makeup, and kept her from her family.

Mysticalmonkey
Mysticalmonkey 07/05/11 - 09:51 am
Ken Myers was my neighbor.

Ken Myers was my neighbor. Then he left Esther. twice i had a gun to my head second time we called the police they arrived an hr or so later by that time he had fled to the woods they checked the house said nobody was home. They thought my wife was crazy about what she was telling them and they blew the incident off. We shortly moved after that.
I am sorry that many family members have to go through such a horrible experiance. Just wish the Wagener police could have taken issues a bit more seriously and had this man put away before any of this. We will truly miss you Esther and our prayers go out to both families for their losses.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 07/05/11 - 02:16 pm
happychimer regarding your

happychimer regarding your 6:04pm comment: I don't appreciate you continuing to misrepresent what I write! No you can't say the same thing about my past comments to you. That is why you wrote "I 'COULD' say the same things about you about your past comments to me." instead of "you have libeled me in the past". It is obvious you are being deceptive and manipulating. I have NEVER libeled you. And if this post is removed, your July 3 6:04pm post should also be removed. I'm sure anyone with any sense can see through what you are doing. I really don't know or care why you are doing it, just stop it.

rodeogirl
rodeogirl 07/11/11 - 11:53 am
Kenny Myers was my cousin and

Kenny Myers was my cousin and I grew up with him, for all of you that dont know him, he was a good man, good father and provider for his family. As I do know that the women he picked would always want more or take more. He built a home for his family here in MI himself, when moving to your state SC leaving his controlling wife, started over and built another home himself, was a hard worker all his life. So no one knows why someone snaps. I know he was not a bad person, but something must have pushed him over the edge. It is a sad story for all involved, and no one deserves to die like this. Not even Kenny!!
As for his family, we will miss him dearly and always wonder why! So you all that want to say negative comments, think if it were someone from your family!! Shoe on the other foot!

gwizzzzz
gwizzzzz 07/18/11 - 01:34 pm
Rodeogirl sorry about your

Rodeogirl sorry about your cousin, but if he took the lives of other people, then it's hard to have sympathy. I can understand how the pressure of life can get to someone and back them into a corner. I can even understand someone so angry at another that they want to kill them. But wanting to do it, and actually doing are two very different things. Thousands of people get that angry everyday, (myself included), but never actually go through with it. And I never will I understand why innocent children have to die. And whatever, if anything the other adults who were killed did, does not warrant someone going on a killing rampage. If he did do this terrible thing, you to understand that you won't get a lot of people to stand on his side, but I'm sorry for your loss and the loss all the others who loss their lives in this terrible tragedy.