Death of woman, 46, is called 'suspicious'

A 46-year-old woman found dead in her Whitney Street home Sunday night was likely the victim of foul play, investigators say.

Richmond County sheriff's Lt. Calvin Chew said deputies went to the 1600 block of Whitney Street about 8:20 p.m. to check on homeowner Evelyn Walker Bell and found her dead.

A neighbor who identified herself only as Barbara said she heard what sounded like a gunshot Saturday evening. Bell's brother came looking for her Sunday night, banging on her door and honking the horn to her car, Barbara said.

"He told us no one had seen her seen since Friday," she said.

Sheriff's Capt. Scott Peebles said later Monday that Bell lived by herself but that there were no new updates that could be released.

"It's a suspicious death for sure," Peebles said.

EMS6465
EMS6465 06/20/11 - 05:29 am
This one makes #11 for the

This one makes #11 for the year !!! RIP Ms. Bell

wondersnevercease
wondersnevercease 06/20/11 - 07:16 am
another...not "cool"

another...not "cool"

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 06/20/11 - 07:29 am
Troy University Class of 2012

Troy University Class of 2012 · BS Psychology · Minor: Criminal Justice. May she rest in peace. My heart goes out to her family and everyone who loves her. I hope investigators are able to find out what happened and get all the evidence they need to put the killer/s away. 11th homicide of the year and it is only June.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 06/20/11 - 07:44 am
This happened at an address

This happened at an address near the Hill Section off Wrightsboro Road. For those of you that think crime only happens "somewhere else" or on the south side of Augusta-Richmond County.

msdarkdreamer1
msdarkdreamer1 06/20/11 - 08:43 am
I am currently doing my

I am currently doing my second tour in Iraq. My command wanted to know if I wanted to go home for R&R, which my home is in Augusta, I told him that I might as well stay here. Augusta seems to be getting more dangerous by the day.

Iwannakno
Iwannakno 06/20/11 - 11:06 am
How safe is Augusta? Time for

How safe is Augusta? Time for Countyman to remind us of the FBI statistics.

Richmnd Cty Votr
Richmnd Cty Votr 06/20/11 - 11:09 am
If folks live at home alone,

If folks live at home alone, they should have a family/friend member check on them every day just in case this or something else were to occur. Then call the police right away to check on them if no answer. Times are changing.

countyman
19545
countyman 06/20/11 - 11:29 am
Iwannkno... The same few

Iwannkno... The same few people including you will continue to rush to post a comment on these articles.. The FBI violent crime rates per 100k people speak for themselves.. The crime rate DECREASED in Augusta last year.. I don't even feel like arguing today... Eleven homicides in 6 months time doesn't even average out to equal two a month... Do you really think this was the only recent shooting in the CSRA? It was probably the most recent homicide in the CSRA but definitely not the only shooting..

A man got shot yesterday in Aiken(Crosland Park) and was sent to the hospital.. He somehow managed to live and didn't die... The chronicie chosed not to report the crime in the paper or on the local news.. WRDW did report the shooting in Aiken.. The Chronicle doesn't report 95% of the crime outside of Richmond County..

Patty-P
Patty-P 06/20/11 - 11:33 am
Augusta is NOT safe. Of all

Augusta is NOT safe. Of all issues this one should be top priority for public officials. This is one factor that makes Augusta VERY UNCOOL.

countyman
19545
countyman 06/20/11 - 11:49 am
If Augusta isn't safe, then

If Augusta isn't safe, then almost every mid size city in the US is very unsafe...

Oh, and I'm sure Aiken(160k) and Columbia County(124k) have atleast 3 homicides and up....

Riverwatch Pkwy, Forest Hills, Summerville, Lakes at Sprit Creek, Jimmie Dyess Pkwy, Belair rd, The Airport, Augusta National, Dennis rd, Wheeler rd, etc sure do feel unsafe lol...

Savannah had their 10th homicide on June 7th 2011..

Iwannakno
Iwannakno 06/20/11 - 11:41 am
I tell you what Countyman I

I tell you what Countyman I feel safer anywhere in the CSRA other than Augusta. Maybe the next time someone in Augusta is about to be killed they should quote the FBI statistics. Apparently the vermin in Augusta aren't aware of them.

Patty-P
Patty-P 06/20/11 - 12:09 pm
I would agree with your first

I would agree with your first statement...but I'm not concerned with all of the other mid-sized cities. My concern is with the one I live in right now. Augusta is UNSAFE and it's crime rate is way too high and out of control. If you don't see this as a problem, wait 10 years from now and see how much worse it has gotten. The criminals are multiplying like roaches and have become quite immune to the bugspray (justice system) that we are using on them. Someone else stated in another blog how the good, law-abiding, tax-paying citizens are moving out of this county to other counties because of the state of affairs here in R.C. What are you left to work with? Overworked and underpaid officers trying to tackle the mess with minimal resources, citizens who've had enough, criminals who have no respect for themselves, others, or the justice system. Ten years or maybe less, mass chaos and lawlessness will just about consume this town if something DIFFERENT isn't done soon.

countyman
19545
countyman 06/20/11 - 12:05 pm
Iwannakno... If you feel

Iwannakno... If you feel safer in every part of the CSRA compared to West Augusta, Summerville, Forest Hills, etc then you're terribly
misguided. Compared the real estate prices of those areas to most places to the CSRA and there's no contest...

Iwannakno
Iwannakno 06/20/11 - 12:12 pm
That means a lot when there

That means a lot when there were, what was it, 35 homicides last year? I have a nice home but I'm dead....good stat tho.

countyman
19545
countyman 06/20/11 - 12:19 pm
Patty P... I bet RC is safer

Patty P... I bet RC is safer than some of those counties per capita.. And I don't where the person in the blog is getting the information from... Probably another biased person against Richmond County..

New neighborhoods under construction in RC: Cushendal, Dunnington, Aubern at Sandrige, 200 acre Haynes Station, Magnolia Ridge, and Stone Creek.

Neighborhoods about start: Mccoys Creek, Spring Creek Village & Sadie Landing

Old neighborhoods with homes under construction: Elderberry, Willhaven, Walton Farms, Longpoint Townhomes, Aylesbury Commons, Granite Hill, Cambridge, and Spirit Pointe.

The crime rate decreased last year in Richmond County.. I don't know what you mean crime is getting worse..

Richmond County LEADS the ENTIRE CSRA in commercial permits in the year 2011... If taxpayers were moving out to other counties this wouldn't be happening...

Village at Riverwatch, Wheeler Town Park(Carmax area) Cherry Street, Shopping Center 25 acre shopping center, Buffalo Wild Wings, Highland Ridge, Flowing Wells Business Park, Four Points By Sheraton, another hotel by Four Points, etc...

The 25 acre shopping center on Jimmie Dyess is directly related to the new neighborhods(Mccoys Creek, Cushendal, Haynes Station) and the older neighborhoods with homes still under construction(Elderberry, Willhaven, Granite Hill, Aylesbury,)

countyman
19545
countyman 06/20/11 - 12:28 pm
How of many of homicides

How of many of homicides happen in West Augusta, Summervile, or Forest Hills last year?? There's a reason why the ONLY Carmax, Sam's, Costco, Apple, Sephora, Buffalo Wild Wings, Fresh Market(until recently opening in Aiken) etc in the CSRA is located in West Augusta...

The Central Business District, Hephzibah, and Blythe don't have many homicides either...

The number of homicides last year were the most since the early 90's and were on average to have 22 this year...

Iwannakno
Iwannakno 06/20/11 - 12:30 pm
How about the census for the

How about the census for the last 10 years....795 people increase...in 10 years? WOW where will they all live??? I tell you what go walk down Gordon highway in the K-mart area at night and become a statistic...most areas have a small crime infested area. Augusta has a huge one. I don't write these comments to bash Augusta. I love Augusta but you can't come on here and sell it as utopia and expect people that live here to buy into it. I still think you have ulterior motives for your posts.

iLove
iLove 06/20/11 - 12:32 pm
Prayers to the Bell family.

Prayers to the Bell family. That's all that is needed on the article.

Stats? C'mon people. . . . show some respect.

Comparing Augusta to Iraq because of the recent crime. . . .lol!

iLove
iLove 06/20/11 - 12:32 pm
Prayers to the Bell family.

Prayers to the Bell family. That's all that is needed on the article.

Stats? C'mon people. . . . show some respect.

Comparing Augusta to Iraq because of the recent crime. . . .lol!

Patty-P
Patty-P 06/20/11 - 12:36 pm
Countyman...I don't feel the

Countyman...I don't feel the way I do by coming up with a side-by-side comparison for everything. I look at more than homicides. Many people get shot (not murdered), but to me that is still an unsafe and 'bad' statistic. Burglaries, drugs, illegal weapans, etc. I look at all of it. Many crimes aren't even included in the statistics that you derive your information from. I truly believe numbers can be and have been fudged or otherwise inaccurate in some cases. I will take a wild guess and say that crime reports are used to determine where and how many officers are used in certain areas. I bet areas that NEED more officers are overlooked in order to put officers in the more 'preferred' areas. Overall, people don't want to admit what plagues Richmond County and so the real issues here aren't tackled aggressively. Thereby making this an UNSAFE and UNCOOL city.

Patty-P
Patty-P 06/20/11 - 12:38 pm
My condolences to the Bell

My condolences to the Bell family.

countyman
19545
countyman 06/20/11 - 01:01 pm
Lol.. Richmond County lost

Lol.. Richmond County lost some population btw 2000- 2005.. Deke became the mayor at the end of 2005 and the rest is history.. The 2006 estimated population was 194k and the 2010 census is 200,549.. The same people must bring up the past because the future is so bright.. I bet the 2020 census tells a much diffrent story lol..

I've been to the Southgate shopping center several times at night... Was I suppose to be scared?

Richmond county LEADS the CSRA in commercial permits in the year 2011. The ongoing commercial and home construction in Richmond County speak for itself..

I'm done arguing because Ilove is right this isn't the time nor place..

Patty P.. The violent crime rankings include every single type of vilent crime...(homicides, aggravated assaults(shootings), rape, armed robbery, etc)..

Patty-P
Patty-P 06/20/11 - 01:12 pm
those commercial permits

those commercial permits don't make me feel safer countyman. And don't depend on what is written where 'statistics' are concerned. It is not always as accurate as you think.

countyman
19545
countyman 06/20/11 - 01:23 pm
Did the crime rate decreasing

Did the crime rate decreasing in 2010 make you feel safer??

How about every month in 2011 having less total cases than in 2010?? The sherrif's office stop at the month of April... These cases include everthing from missing persons, forgery, burglary, etc..

2011

March-2442
April-2681
=9,868

Iwannakno
Iwannakno 06/20/11 - 01:45 pm
Like I said...you have

Like I said...you have ulterior motives. You won't admit it but I tend to agree with someone that said you are either high up in ARC government or in the CVB.

Iwannakno
Iwannakno 06/20/11 - 02:00 pm
And by the by..while the Kroc

And by the by..while the Kroc Center is great I see Harrisburgers on here complaining about their own neighborhood plagued with crime. South Augusta is a cesspool of crime and I doubt very seriously you went to Southgate late at night unless you are a police officer or were going to the substation. I went there on a Saturday night and within 5 minutes I was propositioned by a pimp wanting to know if I needed company and then within 10 minutes was offered drugs. South Augusta could be a great place...like it was 20 years ago with more police presence and less taking all the tax dollars and spending them either downtown or in only the Hephzibah part of South Augusta. Once again I will ask you...do you think your FBI statistics matter to those that are affected by violent crime in South Augusta?

Patty-P
Patty-P 06/20/11 - 01:55 pm
Countyman....everything is

Countyman....everything is not about narrowing things down to the bare numbers or comparing Augusta to other cities just because they have comparitive populations. Things to consider are socioeconomic factors, the economy, etc. I had 2 burglaries last year but only 1 this year. Do I feel safer because the numbers changed by 50%? I mean hey, thats a huge change...well the answer of course is NO! I applaud you for your effort to 'sell' Augusta but I'm not buying it. You mention all of the new businesses, etc being built but the problems that are destroying the foundation of this community stand unchanged. It's like people are ignoring the real problems around here.

Crime Reports and Rewards TV
Crime Reports and Rewards TV 06/20/11 - 01:56 pm
If we don't stop crime, crime

If we don't stop crime, crime WILL stop U.S. No amont of Sunshine being blown about will bring these murdered taxpayers back to life. The taxpayers are being killed off or are moving away faster than they can be replaced. Anyone getting a check from the county needs to start lookng elsewhere for their pay or stop these killings. No one i know is even spending any money in RC if they can help it. All these murders is causing the city money to run low and soon it will run out. We must reverse this vicious cycle of taxpayers being killed off before there aren't enough taxpayers left to support the lofty dreams of the tax users.

Patty-P
Patty-P 06/20/11 - 02:06 pm
Crime Reports is right about

Crime Reports is right about taxpayers moving away. I would love to frequent the downtown area but refuse because the criminal element in the area drives me away. If I go out or shopping you can best believe I'm traveling somewhere else and spending my money. Augusta seems to have a dark cloud over it because of all the negative factors that people just cannot admit exists.

Iwannakno
Iwannakno 06/20/11 - 02:18 pm
I will also add Patty when

I will also add Patty when you don't admit you have a problem and address it as soon as you see it the community loses. One need only look at the Regency Mall area that has lost 2 grocery stores a very popular steakhouse, the Mall itself and has been overrun by criminal element.

Azziz gets doused for ALS

Georgia Regents University President Ricardo Azziz took the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge in front of several faculty and students Friday and then issued his own challenge to Augusta Mayor-elect Hardie ...