Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Man faces charges for home alcohol sales

A Harrisburg man has been charged with selling alcohol out of his home.

Smith  Richmond County Sheriff's Office photo
Richmond County Sheriff's Office photo
Smith

Authorities began receiving numerous complaints last week about the goings-on at Steven Smith's home in the 700 block of Tuttle Street, according to Richmond County sheriff's Investigator Tony Hyatt. Residents told officers the high-traffic activity had been going on for some time.

Investigators, along with the Crime Suppression Team, discovered alcohol and beer were being sold from the residence. Authorities also discovered what appears to be moonshine, Hyatt said.

Smith, 42, has been charged with selling alcohol without a license, he also was charged with disorderly conduct.

ECDanes
ECDanes 06/16/11 - 03:58 pm
sic 'em Butch! I think I

sic 'em Butch! I think I remember Butch Palmer talking about this activity on his facebook page a while back. Just curious why it took authorities so long to act?

happychimer
19537
happychimer 06/16/11 - 03:59 pm
I remember that

I remember that

ECDanes
ECDanes 06/16/11 - 04:07 pm
Thing was this guy was busted

Thing was this guy was busted for the same thing last fall. How long before he is back in bidness?

OhWell
OhWell 06/16/11 - 04:44 pm
We need to get Butch a Badge.

We need to get Butch a Badge. He could clean up that area before the KROC Center opens.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 06/16/11 - 05:14 pm
I'm sure the authorities

I'm sure the authorities wanted to make sure they had the proper evidence to make an arrest that would stick, so he wouldn't be "back in bidness" in two shakes of a lamb's tail. Hope it works! Thanks to any citizens, including Butch, who had the courage to do their civic duty and report suspicious or illegal activities through the proper channels.

Harrisburg Homeowner
Harrisburg Homeowner 06/16/11 - 08:02 pm
It is certainly interesting

It is certainly interesting that "Hyatt said Fredrick Reil Collins... was not registered for the Tuttle Street address," since I received an Updated Offender Notification email from the Sheriff Department stating that he was indeed registered for that address!

Harrisburg Homeowner
Harrisburg Homeowner 06/16/11 - 08:05 pm
In fact, I just looked him up

In fact, I just looked him up at http://www.icrimewatch.net/offenderdetails.php?OfndrID=1417810&AgencyID=...
and found him still registered for 700 Tuttle Street.

faithson
faithson 06/17/11 - 10:42 am
Allow Sunday sales and this

Allow Sunday sales and this problem will take care of itself. Same concept as decriminalizing drugs. can't imagine a real libertarian not supporting these ideas. get sales out of residential areas into the 'light of day'.

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/17/11 - 11:01 am
Faithson, you are right. This

Faithson, you are right. This got my libertarian side attention too. Even if the guy was making moonshine, so what? Of course, I understand the residents anger if he was a public nuisance with unruly crowds there, but the actual act of selling alcohol or even making it, was no big deal.

Lori Davis
Lori Davis 06/17/11 - 11:17 am
You are right Riverman,

You are right Riverman, however, there has been nothing but trouble at this address inside and out. Armed robbery, shots being fired, etc. Nothing good comes out of these liquor houses, nor around them, at least not in Harrisburg.

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/17/11 - 11:26 am
Lori, thanks. I figured it

Lori, thanks. I figured it was something like that.

Lori Davis
Lori Davis 06/17/11 - 12:02 pm
Sometimes it's nice to have

Sometimes it's nice to have the inside story even if it's a bad one!

Emerydan
Emerydan 06/17/11 - 01:05 pm
I'm all for Sunday Sales too,

I'm all for Sunday Sales too, but that's besides the point. This is someone who was running an illicit business out of a rental home in a residential neighborhood. And this is not the first time he was caught doing this. And I doubt all of his business was just on Sunday. I believe residents were complaining of customers coming in and out every day at all hours, and its quite likely this illegal liquor house was selling to underage ( I seriously doubted this guy checked IDs), plus he was selling moonshine which can kill you. And I wouldn't be surprised if there were some other things being sold in that residence besides alcohol. Kudos to Lori, Butch and all of the other Harrisburgers who are taking a firm stand against this and getting results.. finally. It may have taken over 3 years but it certainly seems the tide is turning in their direction.

JesusSavesAtCitiBank
JesusSavesAtCitiBank 06/17/11 - 02:38 pm
Nah Emery...the war on drugs

Nah Emery...the war on drugs is like the war on terror...we might take one out but as soon as we take him/her out someone else has already stepped into their place. It's neverending.

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/17/11 - 03:11 pm
This is off topic, but since

This is off topic, but since moonshine was mentioned and this is a libertarian issue, I don't believe the government should interfere with someone making moonshine in moderate amounts for his family use. The law has already been changed for making wine and beer at home and should be for moonshine, too. One bill was proposed to allow such personal distillation, but died in committee a few years ago. It's simply a matter of personal freedom.

Emerydan
Emerydan 06/17/11 - 04:16 pm
I could open up a butcher

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/17/11 - 04:45 pm
"I could open up a butcher

"I could open up a butcher shop out of my garage too but I don't think my neighbors would like it"

Just don't try to kill the cow in the backyard if you live in Columbia County.

Emerydan
Emerydan 06/17/11 - 04:50 pm
Hey I'm all for people having

Hey I'm all for people having the freedom to make their own muscadine wine and beer for personal consumption.. BUt I would have a problem if someone wanted to turn their backyard into a vineyard and have daily tours in a residential neighborhood. Just like I don't want my next door neighbor to turn his garage into a night club with nightly rave parties. This isn't about being anti-alcohol but against someone operating an illegal liquor store out of a rental home on a residential street. If you want to operate a liquor store, you get the proper license, in the area zoned for it, check IDs and pay the taxes. And who needs to go to an illegal liquor house to purchase booze at higher prices than what they can get at ACE liquors down the street unless these are underage people who cannot legally purchase them at regular liquor stores.

ECDanes
ECDanes 06/17/11 - 10:27 pm
Heard he's out of jail. Will

Heard he's out of jail. Will the police close this likker house down for good?

WW1949
WW1949 06/18/11 - 09:46 am
Make it if you want to for

Make it if you want to for personal consumption, just don't tell the world or try to sell it. But I bet is would be cheaper just to go buy it. Beer sales on Sunday has always been a part of Harrisburg but I am glad some are taking notice and trying to clean up the area. Check out the area around the Corner Store at Eve and behind the old King Harrys Music . Drunks and unsavory people around their sitting on their porch waiting for the government checks to arrive at the first of the month.

Kettle donations rise in 2014