Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Woman reports threat after cutting off car

A man threatened a 25-year-old woman Monday afternoon outside Hobby Lobby, according to a Richmond County Sheriff's Office incident report.

According to the incident report, a middle-age man in a blue late -model Ford Mustang followed the Air Force employee into the parking lot at 230 Robert C. Daniel Jr. Parkway and told her he should punch her because she had cut him off in traffic.

He said that he had no problem hitting women, she said. Police said he also told the woman he had a gun and would shoot her.

As she walked to the store, the man drove by and revved his engine, the report says.

Sentinel
Sentinel 06/13/11 - 11:26 pm
Is anyone else sick to death

Is anyone else sick to death of road-rage nutbags who pound the horn, scream obscenities out the window, ride so close to your tailpipe it's like their trying to hitch a ride or make a deliberate point to go around you and cut you off in front so close that you have to hit your brakes?

If anyone reading this falls into any of the above categories, listen up; I pay my taxes, hold a valid license and have always been in the good graces of the state granting my driving privileges because I don't act like a moron on the road. I may do a few over the speed limit, but I'll be darned if I'm going to drive like a fool to suit YOU.

Now, I have no doubt that you are ever so special that the posted speed limits don't apply to you. It doesn't matter that the rest of us manage to leave an appropriate amount of time to get where we are going.... you decided to sleep in/procrastinate/check your facebook/not drag your disorganized rear out the door until the last minute, therefore we are all in your way and must pay the price, right? NOPE.

I am going to continue to drive in a manner that doesn't endanger me or anyone else on the road. If that is displeasing to your misbegotten sense of self-importance, tough noogies. Grow up, put on your big boy/girl panties and deal with it.

You are free to go around me or anyone else who may be infringing on your right to drive like you and only you, own the road. Just make sure you keep that insurance up to date... if you hit me you're gonna need it.

The 'man' who threw the tantrum at the Hobby Lobby should be beyond ashamed of himself. Real men don't act that way....EVER.

Jefe
Jefe 06/14/11 - 01:55 am
Why should we tolerate people

Why should we tolerate people who endanger our lives with their stupid, self-centered driving habits?

If the police would ticket scofflaws who illegally cut others off and follow too closely, and change lanes without signaling, there would be less road rage. Of course that would mean that a large percentage of drivers here in the South would be getting tickets.

We should stop sanctioning "morons on the road". They should not be allowed to jeopardize the safety of law abiding citizens with impunity.

Why should we enable moronic driving behavior by giving them a pass? Somebody has to hold them accountable.

Threatening to punch someone is not a solution, but I can certainly understand how the mindless, self-centered driving behavior of someone else can generate an emotional response.

I think I'll put a video camera in my car and start sending the footage to local law enforcement.

How about a Facebook page where everyone posted videos of moronic driving for everyone else to see?

If the highest value is "being nice", then how about getting off the cell phone while you're driving, thinking ahead and anticipating lane changes, and stop cutting cutting others off? What difference would that make in the incidence of road rage?

Doesn't it bother anyone when people going 70+ (in a 55 mph zone) on I-20 pull right in front of you because you dared to leave more than a car length between you and the car ahead of you? Then stop doing it yourself!

We are reaping what we have sown...a generation of scofflaws.

ConcernedTaxpayer
ConcernedTaxpayer 06/14/11 - 05:00 am
Well said, Sentinel!

Well said, Sentinel!

Dixieman
Dixieman 06/14/11 - 05:34 am
Guy must have been visiting

Guy must have been visiting from up North. No Southern gentleman would have done this.

stillamazed
stillamazed 06/14/11 - 07:25 am
Well said Jefe....I would

Well said Jefe....I would never stoop so low as to threaten someone but many days I sure think it.....there are so many irresponsible drivers out there with lack of respect for their safety or the safety of others...another problem is a lack of law enforcement in the area doing anything about it. Every morning driving to work on Jimmie Dyess people pass me doing at least 80 miles an hour in a 55 mile per hour zone and if you are doing 60 they tail gate you like you are going slow. Just yesterday a guy in a red corvette I bet you was doing 80-90 on that raod and they do it because they know that they never ticket anyone on that road.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 06/14/11 - 07:46 am
I sure hope somebody else saw

I sure hope somebody else saw this piece of trash and took down his tag number. He merits face time before a judge, and afterward, a private session with Big Bubba and his fungal itch.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/14/11 - 08:06 am
Right dixieman....he must be

Right dixieman....he must be from up North.....our guys wouldn't act like that.

Adder
Adder 06/14/11 - 08:08 am
I hope the young woman takes

I hope the young woman takes this as a lesson and stops cutting people off in traffic. Especially the middle-aged men who are going through their mid-life crisis. Either that or she needs to get herself a gat.

Crime Reports and Rewards TV
Crime Reports and Rewards TV 06/14/11 - 08:24 am
Folks do need to get an

Folks do need to get an earlier start, it saves gas and may even save your life.

Chillen
Chillen 06/14/11 - 08:44 am
I had this happen once. I

I had this happen once. I pulled over into a turn lane to go right and apparently the "woman" I pulled in front of thought I cut her off (no reasonable person would have thought this, it wasn't even close).

She started flashing her lights, giving me the middle finger, beeping her horn, screaming, flapping her arms, following too closely, etc. She followed me into the bank parking lot, beeping her horn and screaming at me out the window. So, I left & headed towards the sheriff's office parking lot (luckily I was close to it).

She disappeared.

What has this world turned in to?

sgmret
sgmret 06/14/11 - 08:51 am
Them Yankees, are not good

Them Yankees, are not good for our "Cool".

Patty-P
Patty-P 06/14/11 - 09:46 am
What is the world coming to?

What is the world coming to?

Sweet son
Sweet son 06/14/11 - 11:04 am
Best to leave these folks

Best to leave these folks alone and especially do not stoop to their level! Some of them will kill you!

daphne3520
daphne3520 06/14/11 - 11:06 am
There are "Yankees," and

There are "Yankees," and those that WISH they were. Dixieman and seenit, BOTH need to wake and smell the coffee.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/14/11 - 11:20 am
my coffee smells sooo

my coffee smells sooo good....it's living in the south that makes everything BETTER....you should know by now the South is where we want to be.......btw.....if you wanta leave, what's keeping you here?

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/14/11 - 11:23 am
AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 06/14/11 - 12:53 pm
Do not confront people. Call

Do not confront people. Call it in or just get away from them. There are too many impaired people (drugs, alchohol, etc.) barely functioning and the heat isn't helping. There are people around here that would shoot at you and then claim you were shooting them, they are that nuts, but not nuts enough not to try to cover their backsides if they think the gunshots will be reported by someone else. Believe me, it happens around here.

h2otowngirl
h2otowngirl 06/14/11 - 01:28 pm
It's possible that the woman

It's possible that the woman didn't actually cut him off or that when he saw that she was changing lanes, he sped up so she couldn't get in front of him. While I will say that I have seen a few women speed up in order not to be passed, the majority of the time it's some guy that gets his panties all up in a bunch when I pass him. I guess he feels it's a threat to his masculinity to have a woman pass him? I always use my turns signals and always look to make sure there is enough room.
I'm glad that she didn't engage him at all. Chances are he would have done something even more idiotic.

allhans
allhans 06/14/11 - 03:04 pm
The young woman could have

The young woman could have apologized to the driver and put an end to the whole matter. I'll bet it really caused her pain when he revved his engine.
We are all subject to making mistakes when driving, but it is really aggravating when someone cuts you off
deliberately.

Cadence
Cadence 06/14/11 - 03:18 pm
Everyone makes mistakes

Everyone makes mistakes behind the wheel and they need not be attacked for it. If you never have done something stupid driving then you deserve a medal. I confess that I sometimes do and I appreciate the other drivers who shake their heads and just drive on by. I do the same thing when You do it to me. Good lord if this is what you ruminate about you need God to give you some real problems.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 06/14/11 - 03:58 pm
If you say anything, don't

If you say anything, don't make eye contact, just say I'm sorry, I made a mistake AS you are leaving. Safest thing to do. Two wrongs don't make a right, don't give the confronter a chance to do a second wrong...in the heat of the moment. Err on the side of caution. And try to be considerate of other drivers in the future when at all possible.

happychimer
19537
happychimer 06/14/11 - 08:56 pm
Maybe she did not cut him

Maybe she did not cut him off. He told her she cut him off. I would not believe him. Look at how he acted. He can't be trusted to tell the truth.

rbndawn
rbndawn 06/14/11 - 11:59 pm
Watch people coming out of

Watch people coming out of the driveways of bussines on Washington Rd and Bobby Jones at peak hour, while talking on the cell phones, is just ridiculous the way the expose themselves and other drivers to an accident by not focusing on the task. Same the ones driving at 55 mph blocking the passing lane on the express way when everybody is doing 70. But still, is not excuse to signal or even worst, verbally confront other driver, specially, if you are a man confronting a woman. (I doubt this male driver can confront another male driver the same way). Keep it to yourself please! But also to those bad drivers using the cell phone, put the phone down when your attention is required at a 100% ie. manuvering in and out parking lots. If you drive to the speed limit just please let all the speeders go by keeping yourself on the right lane. Thank you to all the nice courteous drivers but please don't brake the flow of traffic it just makes all others confused, when is your time to pass on a 4 way intersection, just do it please. Tolerance!!! We need to put on our "tolerance hat" when getting behind the wheel.

yakirz
yakirz 06/15/11 - 03:28 am
Mustang driver... what a

Mustang driver... what a shock...

Kettle donations rise in 2014