Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Robbery suspect is sought

Special
Security camera shows a bank robber Friday

Investigators are hunting for a man who robbed a south Augusta bank about 12:30 p.m. Friday.

Back | Next
A Richmond County investigator dusts for fingerprints after Fifth Third Bank on Peach Orchard Road was robbed.   Jackie Ricciardi/Staff
Jackie Ricciardi/Staff

Richmond County sheriff's Lt. Calvin Chew said there were about six customers in Fifth Third Bank at 2756 Peach Orchard Road when the gunman entered.

Bank employees told officers the man, who had a white towel wrapped around his face, entered the south door and demanded everyone inside hit the floor. He approached a teller with a semiautomatic handgun and demanded she place money in a blue canvas bag he had brought with him.

"She gave him what she could and included a dye pad," Chew said.

The robber fled across Peach Orchard Road where he disappeared behind Southside Monument at 2715 Peach Orchard Road.

Employees told investigators they saw the dye pack explode as he fled.

William Johnson, of Washington, Ga., was driving on Peach Orchard Road and saw the robber dart into the street, then stop in the turn lane and look down at the dye coming out of his bag.

"You just see some idiot running off in traffic with a bag, and this red smoke started coming out of it," Johnson said. "Then it dawned on me."

Johnson immediately went to a local business and asked someone to call 911. He later described the robber as about 6 feet tall, between 200 and 220 pounds, wearing a baggy white T-shirt, baggy blue jeans and black shoes.

Police searched the area but didn't find the robber. Officials later said they think the gunman left in a vehicle because of tire tracks discovered in the vicinity.

No customers or employees were injured, Chew said.

Staff Writer Luke Thompson contributed to this story.

ECDanes
ECDanes 06/10/11 - 01:41 pm
Robbing a bank in south

Robbing a bank in south Augusta. Isn't that kind of like robbing a grocery store in Ethiopia?

ECDanes
ECDanes 06/10/11 - 01:43 pm
I mean the bandit would

I mean the bandit would probably have made off with more loot robbing the fountain at Surrey Center.

Sweet son
Sweet son 06/10/11 - 01:46 pm
Hope the dye pack goes off in

Hope the dye pack goes off in his back pocket and burns his "bohonkus" so bad that he has to go to the ER>

Sweet son
Sweet son 06/10/11 - 01:48 pm
Hope the dye pack goes off in

Hope the dye pack goes off in his back pocket and burns his rear end bad enough that he will have to go to the ER!

KSL
KSL 06/10/11 - 01:53 pm
I'll add that I hope he has

I'll add that I hope he has his own health insurance if he has to go to the ER, but somehow I doubt.

SnowBallCity
SnowBallCity 06/10/11 - 02:15 pm
Need some money for the

Need some money for the weekend.

walrus4ever
walrus4ever 06/10/11 - 02:15 pm
Im sure there were enough

Im sure there were enough funds on hand to finance a nite at "da club" and a new ringtone. Im sure they got enough to get a all expense paid trip to the Federal Penitentiary WHEN they get caught.

ECDanes
ECDanes 06/10/11 - 02:28 pm
I know it's hot outside but

I know it's hot outside but where does this guy think he is robbing a bank? Saudi Arabia?

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 06/10/11 - 02:53 pm
"...a man believed to be

"...a man believed to be black with a towel covering his features..."?? I mean, yeah..look at the picture and there's no doubt that the dude is black! In fact, it looks like he's very black...and I mean the shade. Just thought that was a funny line in the article. I never could understand why these robbers cover their face like that because surely they can't see very well. Someone off to the side, where his peripheral vision is obscured, could pull out a gun and pop him pretty easily.

ECDanes
ECDanes 06/10/11 - 03:14 pm
couldn't he have sprung for

couldn't he have sprung for some pantyhose from the dollar store across the street? I like my bank robbers to be more creative though.. maybe dressed as SpiderMan, or The Joker, or wear a Richard Nixon mask. Ooooh better yet, a Bernie madoff mask.

Patty-P
Patty-P 06/10/11 - 03:39 pm
...brace yourselves

...brace yourselves Augustans, you'll see more and more of this.

dougk
dougk 06/10/11 - 04:13 pm
He looks familiar.

He looks familiar.

KSL
KSL 06/10/11 - 04:23 pm
ECDanes, new meaning to

ECDanes, new meaning to "towel head?"

allhans
allhans 06/10/11 - 04:44 pm

hopefulinaugusta
hopefulinaugusta 06/10/11 - 06:49 pm
ECDanes, Do you really

ECDanes, Do you really believe that there is no money in South Augusta? This bank has been in SRC for many years, it has changed names a few times over the years but the customers are still there. You remind me of some of the sales people I used to sale cars with that believed if a person walked in with overalls on, they could not afford to purchase a car. They missed alot of commission that way!

Sentinel
Sentinel 06/10/11 - 09:00 pm
Hubby just pointed out that

Hubby just pointed out that the robber must not be very bright.... had to use one hand to hold the stupid towel!

charliemanson
charliemanson 06/11/11 - 07:51 am
Wonder if this the same guy

Wonder if this the same guy who has been robbing the Affordable Insurances in the area.

Turkeys get taste of own medicine

I got up and out of my sickbed so I could write this column because it’s time for the annual Turkey of the Year awards, the highlight of the holiday season.