Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Police seek man in shooting of neighbor

Authorities are searching for an East Boundary man after witnesses said he shot and injured a neighbor Friday morning.

According to Richmond Coun­ty sheriff's Lt. Calvin Chew, a group of people were arguing outside Building 419 in East Augusta Commons on the 400 block of East Boundary shortly after 6 a.m., when the fight escalated between Clinton David Tolbert, 40, and Nathaniel Lee Collins, 31. Witnesses told authorities Collins pulled out a gun and shot Tolbert once in the right knee and once in the chest. Collins then fled the scene.

Tolbert was taken to Medical College of Georgia Hospital where he is in critical condition.

No_Longer_Amazed
No_Longer_Amazed 06/10/11 - 08:19 am
Augusta-Richmond County is

Augusta-Richmond County is starting to resemble the wild-wild-west of old.

AWyld1
AWyld1 06/10/11 - 08:50 am
Wow with all the new

Wow with all the new construction and businesses knocking each over to come to Augusta I can't believe people are still shooting each other...don't they know how good they have it?

ZenoElia
ZenoElia 06/10/11 - 09:10 am
Always nice to wake up every

Always nice to wake up every day to "Breaking News....Murder...details forthcoming..." Who really cares about the details excepts the ones who are related or obligated, or live close by....the rest of us just stay away, turn a deaf ear and hope we can say next time, "not in my neighborhood..".

Crime Reports and Rewards TV
Crime Reports and Rewards TV 06/10/11 - 09:36 am
Fleeing and evading felons

Fleeing and evading felons know no neighborhood or rank. If they kick in your door, take hostages in Martinez, or hijack your car on Washington rd in front of God and everybody in broad daylight you may think twice about letting killers roam your town freely.

We should AT LEAST get a description of them so if we see them we can survive the encounter.

There should be a public endangerment hearing to recoup some of the damages our community is suffering at the hands of the housing authority & section 8 for massing these troublemakers in our midst.

We PAY tax USERS to PREVENT this yet they keep all their filthy lucre while endangering us all.

chadwick323i
chadwick323i 06/10/11 - 10:04 am
Hey countyman, No Longer

Hey countyman, No Longer Amazed, Awyld1 and ZenoElia are taking foul about Augusta; you going to let them get away with this!!!

No_Longer_Amazed
No_Longer_Amazed 06/10/11 - 10:29 am
chadwick323i: I don't care

chadwick323i: I don't care how countryman spins it, I spent almost 5 years in a combat zone and NEVER felt as unsafe as I do right now in Augusta, Georgia.

AWyld1
AWyld1 06/10/11 - 10:22 am
Hey I love Augusta...I'm just

Hey I love Augusta...I'm just not delusional about its state..Crime happens everywhere but there is no doubt where it happens most in our area. Drive through neighborhoods that were middle class neighborhoods 20 years ago and tell me what you find.

Chillen
Chillen 06/10/11 - 10:25 am
I spent some time looking at

I spent some time looking at the new Augusta Chronicle Richmond Co. crime map yesterday. I put in date filters May 17 - Jun 9 and came back with 546 crimes!!!!

Now granted, about 60% of those are assault & battery but still......clearly there is a very serious problem in Richmond County when you have 546 crimes in only 3 weeks.

Looks like Richmond County deputies will continue to have job security.

corgimom
corgimom 06/10/11 - 10:45 am
When I saw the crime map, I

When I saw the crime map, I wondered, "How could this be, since Countyman says Augusta is safe?"

REDRIDER
REDRIDER 06/10/11 - 02:13 pm
What's a East Boundary Man?

What's a East Boundary Man?

countyman
20631
countyman 06/10/11 - 05:29 pm
There's no need to spin

There's no need to spin anything concerning the crime rates.. The FBI violent crime stats clearly speak for themselves..

The Chronicle doesn't report the majority of crime outside of Richmond County... 95% of the crime articles they print focus on Richmond County.. NBC Augusta is controlled by the Chronicle and WRDW does the same thing when it comes to reporting crime..

The Chronicle printed several articles on the recent graudations in Columbia and Aiken Counties.. They love to include every county when it's graduation time, new school openings, student awards, budget issues, etc. Then the Chronicle turns around and prints the tribunals for Richmond County but nobody else.

It's not a coincidence the Chronicle created the crime map on Richmond County and not the other counties...

countyman
20631
countyman 06/10/11 - 03:11 pm
According to the link

According to the link Columbia County had a total of 110 crimes from May 17th-Jun 9th..

How many of the 110 crimes in CC did the Chronicle print?

Keep mind Richmond County had 200k and Columbia County had a population of 124k..

countyman
20631
countyman 06/10/11 - 05:31 pm
I couldn't find the crime map

I couldn't find the crime map showing the total amount of crimes in Aiken County.. I did managed however to find the crime map on the city of Aiken...

The June stats weren't available on the link yet... I took the total number of crimes from April 2011 to May 2011...

The city of Aiken had 760 crimes from April to May not including the rest of Aiken County(North Augusta, Graniteville, Clearwater).. Of course most of the crime happens in North Augusta and Aiken but still..

It seems Richmond County has the lower per capita crime rate compared to Aiken County.. If Richmond County had 546 crimes in three weeks then the county would have around 729 crimes in one month..

It's not a big surprise if you've seen recent crime stats.. In 2009 or 2008 Columbia County had around 70 aggravated assaults, Richmond 160, and Aiken had over 200..

charliemanson
charliemanson 06/11/11 - 06:56 am
The higher the density of

The higher the density of people(i.e, apt building, projects, city locations, etc)...the higher the crime/violence rate will be. Countyman is right. Augusta 'ain't' that bad. Just got to stay out of the high density areas.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 06/11/11 - 08:42 am
Could someone put a link to

Could someone put a link to the crime map for Augusta here? Years ago I had asked if one could be published. I didn't see it yesterday, don't know what article it was under, and apparently it isn't simple to find. If I try some key words and still can't find it, I'll look back here.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 06/11/11 - 09:01 am
AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 06/12/11 - 01:08 pm
Er, um, excuse me,

Er, um, excuse me, Charliemanson and countyman. Augusta/Richmond County IS a high density area. How do you propose one gets from point A to B in the area without going through high crime areas? You must address crime where you find it, no matter what the "density" of the area is anyway. And crime is everywhere. On the Hill, in the suburbs, in apartment complexes right next to subdivisions with $150,000 plus homes, downtown, (where people from all socio-economic backgrounds live and work). In other words, if you think you hear gunfire close by, no matter where your insulated, in-denial self is, or how innocent (or not guilty) you are, you might consider ducking for cover. Quickly. Bullets don't always hit where they're aimed.

WW1949
WW1949 06/11/11 - 10:21 am
If you have XM or Sirius

If you have XM or Sirius radio listen to a station called the power. It is a black talk show and it will amaze you at the attitudes of some who think the government owes them everything. Yesterday they were talking about Aisan, Hispanic, Jewish and white out of wedlock birth rates and on the financial achievements of each race. The out of wedlock birthrate for the country as a whole is 25%, for jews who make up 2% of the population but control a large percentage of the business climate there is a 2% out of wedlock birth rate, for black who make up approx 15% of the population there is a out of wedlock birth rate of 75% and most of the mothers are being put in public housing. They did not say what is the out of wedlocl birth rate for whites. According to the talk show hosts this is unacceptable and is the reason the black population has so much crime because the family structure is not there where these kids grow up. They do not learn what is right or wrong, what an acceptable apperance is when hunting for a job, or acceptable English. On the other hand they say the Aisans come here with nothing and have an emphasis on learning, have a good family structure and most get good jobs. The Hispanics have now become the minority but have a good family structure and are now surpassing the blacks economically. The out of wedlock birth rate has got to change and a child has got to have a firm family structure to learn what is right and acceptable to the whole of society to get ahead in life. This goes for all races in all countries. Then you will see crime go down. On the other hand, I don't feel unsafe in Augusta, Columbia or Aiken counties. Never had a problem.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 06/12/11 - 01:21 pm
WW1949. I feel unsafe. I only

WW1949. I feel unsafe. I only started feeling unsafe after moving back to 30906. First a break-in to our home, then our car, then identity-theft, after 2000 it was one thing after another for about 7 years at one address so fast that sometimes I couldn't keep up with reporting it all. I can't even begin to tell you the toll it took on me, my marriage, my family, my job hopes. My only consolation is some of the people have been held accountable, some to the degree that they are in Federal Prison. How do you leave your home every day to go to work, thinking that there is a good chance when you return something of value to you is going to have been stolen or vandalized? How would you like wondering if the popping sound you heard as you left your driveway is the woman standing at the edge of her property shooting you, especially when you pull off into the gas station up the road and check your tires and you realize, no you didn't pop a tire. Then you come home and to cover the fact that the woman HAD been firing at you, her husband had made a complaint to the police that you had been shooting at HER! How do you defend yourself from stuff like that? I even asked if I could have my legal weapon checked for residue to clear my name, but I was advised it wasn't necessary. Apparently they didn't believe her, but the fact remains I was shot at. No, I don't feel safe.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 06/12/11 - 01:23 pm
WW1949. BTW, I did move, not

WW1949. BTW, I did move, not far, have excellent neighbors here, and the only gunfire I hear is far away, in the direction of where I used to live.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 06/12/11 - 01:25 pm
I just read your post

I just read your post No_Longer_Amazed...based on what I was seeing since 2000 until recently, I started calling this area the new Wild Wild West about 2001.

Augusta's ties to Liberia date back to 1836

Richmond County’s ties to West Africa date back to the 1830s, when plantation owner Richard Tubman wrote in his will that his slaves were to be offered freedom. More recently, Augustans have ...