Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Driver faces homicide charge after crash victim dies

An Augusta man is facing vehicular homicide charges after a passenger injured Saturday in a single-vehicle accident died Tuesday afternoon, police say.

Christopher Roberts has two previous driving under the influence charges on his record from 2000 and 2002.

Richmond County sheriff's Capt. Scott Gay said Christopher Roberts, 37, who has two previous driving under the influence charges on his record in 2000 and 2002, was at the wheel about 5 p.m. Saturday when his 1997 Honda struck a guardrail at the westbound entrance to Bobby Jones Expressway from Doug Barnard Parkway.

His passenger, Whitney Leanne Revis, 20, of Clearwater, received brain injuries and was removed from life support at Medical College of Georgia Hospital about 1 p.m. Tuesday, Richmond County Deputy Coroner Johnny McDonald said. The cause of death was ruled to be anoxic brain injury.

Earlier, Roberts was charged with DUI and with an open-container violation, Gay said, and a charge of serious injury by motor vehicle will now be upgraded to homicide. In addition to the 2000 and 2002 DUI charges, Roberts was charged in 1992 with serious injury by motor vehicle, Gay said.

Police said they did not know the relationship between Revis and Roberts, who is being held in the Richmond County jail.

Craig Spinks
Craig Spinks 06/07/11 - 03:45 pm
What was the disposition of

What was the disposition of the 1992 charge against Roberts?

TrulyWorried
TrulyWorried 06/07/11 - 04:36 pm
A human being has just lost

A human being has just lost her life - you want to know about 1992 ??? Worry about that some other time - good grief.
My condolences to the family of that young lady - what a terrible tragedy!
God bless her and her family and may He give them the strength they so badly need right now.

allhans
allhans 06/07/11 - 04:59 pm
I am with Craig, what

I am with Craig, what happened to the 1992 (serious injuury) charge.
How many chances do you give before saying enouigh.

Bonk
Bonk 06/07/11 - 05:03 pm
Looks like all were charges

Looks like all were charges and there were no convictions. Looks like he hasn't ever been convicted of anything or the Chronicle would have said so.

ZenoElia
ZenoElia 06/07/11 - 05:20 pm
Actually my question is this.

Actually my question is this. Did the passenger die, or was life support removed so that he could die since he had irrevocable brain injuries? WHO really killed who? That's all I am questioning. Perhaps a lawyer could tell me the answer. Is it homicide or vehicular manslaughter? Or in GA is there a legal difference?

tckr1983
tckr1983 06/07/11 - 06:03 pm
Zeno- Less is more.

Zeno-

Less is more.

southernbelle62
southernbelle62 06/07/11 - 06:10 pm
Please people. Have respect

Please people. Have respect and get facts before posting here. There is a family that is grieving the loss of their child.

FACTS: Whitney has suffered severe brain bleed since she entered hospital. She never recovered. Yesterday she suffered numerous strokes. Her brain was dying rapidly. Her heart stopped today. She was STILL on life support because her organs will be donated. She was KEPT on life support to maintain VIABLE organs for donation.

Have some COMPASSION for the deceased's family. They have been through torment since Saturday.

pommom38
pommom38 06/07/11 - 06:24 pm
Slap on the wrist even though

Slap on the wrist even though you did this before, and drove drunk AGAIN.
May THIS time, you rot away in prison!!!!!!!!!!!
R.I.P Whitney

scoobynews
scoobynews 06/07/11 - 06:37 pm
I feel for the family of this

I feel for the family of this young woman. This should be a lesson to all young people to never get into a car with someone driving under the influence. You take your life into your own hands. Better to let someone be ticked off because you said "see ya I am calling a friend" than to get into a car with a reckless person.

storiesihaveread
storiesihaveread 06/07/11 - 07:23 pm
Life lost at such a young

Life lost at such a young age. Prayers for her family!! Mr. Roberts needs to be kept in prison for a very long time never be allowed to walk out of those prison walls.

happychimer
19565
happychimer 06/07/11 - 07:38 pm
disgusting.Too many lives

disgusting.Too many lives have been lost because someone chose to drink and drive.

KSL
KSL 06/07/11 - 07:40 pm
scooby, that's exactly what I

scooby, that's exactly what I was thinking. Why put yourself at risk?

cheslie
cheslie 06/07/11 - 09:28 pm
Look, Whitney was my cousin

Look, Whitney was my cousin and I would really appreciate it if you wouldn't be rude commenting on here. I understand she shouldn't have got in the car but people make mistakes and you have no room to judge someone.

Me
Me 06/07/11 - 10:39 pm
Sometimes it seems as if the

Sometimes it seems as if the DUI laws are a joke...
I personally know someone who has had 5 DUI's, including endangering a child x 3, but due to a good(?)(note the sarcasm) lawyer, has had the three that this person has been to court on reduced to a slap on the wrist, jail for a week, driving school and probation, NOT PRISON!! Since the last court case, this person has been arrested twice more on DUI, almost killed someone and did cause the person to become disabled, and this person should have been dead, too!
This person STILL drinks and drives, a functioning alcoholic, holds a great job, pays the bills on time, owns nice vehicles, and LAUGHS about how all this helps keep them out of prison!
Honestly, I think that it is truly sickening that our court system has not caught up with this person. This person should be in prison. Please, don't anyone give me the bleeding heart where alcoholism is a disease and I need to have sympathy. Yes, I do realise this, BUT in cases like what has happened to the young lady in the article above, her friends and her family, and many others who are affected, we have got to really take a stand and lock these people up! One DUI is bad enough, but if you have two, do not pass go, do not collect $200, go directly to prison and stay for life!

dizzy dictator
dizzy dictator 06/08/11 - 12:33 am
I now wonder if this is the

I now wonder if this is the boy who pulled out in front of my husband in 1992 and left him paralyzed. He was charged with serious bodily injury with a motor vehicle. Not sure if this is him. It would have happened July 29, 1992. I remember the officer showed me his license. I don't have any paperwork on this. All I know is I had a 4 month old and 2 1/2yr old and my husband was so bad off he was in the hospital for 6 months.
If this was him, he needs to stay off the road for good. My heart goes out to the women's family.

dizzy dictator
dizzy dictator 06/08/11 - 01:02 am
Just to add, this name listed

Just to add, this name listed is really eating at me so familiar. I know he was under 21 in 1992 from his license(because it says that) and the person that did this was arrested at work later that day when the word of my husband's near fatal injuries were brought back to the police department attention. I wish I knew for sure. Also my understanding was they let him go from the scene so I'm guessing he wasn't drunk. In my case the case was dropped in court by my attorney agreeing because it was an accident and he wasn't out to purposely hurt my husband.

scoobynews
scoobynews 06/08/11 - 05:10 am
Chesle - there is no judging

Chesle - there is no judging just hope that other young people will learn from the mistakes of others. Everyone makes mistakes but if one person can say no then maybe that is one less life that will be lost. Drunk driving is not cool regardless of whether you were the passanger or an innocent person that gets hit by one. Driving drunk endangers EVERYONE'S LIVES! My own cousin was a passanger of a drunk driver and has been in a wheel chair since she was 18 paralized from the neck down. That has been 25 years ago and her whole life was changed forever. As stated in my previous post, I am sorry to the family for this young life taken so young but hope that others can learn from it to NOT get in the car with a drunk person. That is not judging but rather advice from someone who learned after seeing her own cousin who was bright and beautiful have her whole world changed in the instant when the drunk driver she was riding with hit a tree.

Craig Spinks
Craig Spinks 06/08/11 - 05:39 am
Impaired driving endangers

Impaired driving endangers lives and should not be tolerated, expensive shystering notwithstanding, period!

seabeau
seabeau 06/08/11 - 06:34 am
Alcohol! The worlds most

Alcohol! The worlds most abused drug,continues to kill and maim more Americans on the highway than any other preventable cause.

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 06/08/11 - 07:10 am
Prayers to this girl's

Prayers to this girl's family, my heart aches for them, no one should ever have to bury their child. This was a 37 year old man who had previous DUI's and another serious traffic violation, and now has taken a young life through his recklessness. Obviously he has never grown up, at 37 people should have some common sense and maturity.

cheslie
cheslie 06/09/11 - 12:56 pm
scoobynews-I never said your

scoobynews-I never said your name... so don't come at me with all of that stuff. I never said anyones name. Yeah, I hope its a lesson. But you don't have to say anything to me about it because I never stated anything towards you. I have enough going on,I really don't need anything else!

stillamazed
stillamazed 06/08/11 - 07:24 am
Sadly most people who have

Sadly most people who have their driving license revoked for DUI and other offenses still continue to drive, and unfortunately it takes a tragedy like this to finally catch up with them. Prayers go out to this girls family.

Sentinel
Sentinel 06/08/11 - 07:45 am
@cheslie... scoobynews

@cheslie... scoobynews replied to a comment you made; something that is frequently done on a comment board (hence the name). Your grief is understandable, but no excuse to attack someone else.

J Kromka
J Kromka 06/08/11 - 07:46 am
@scooby...this should be all

@scooby...this should be all lesson to EVERYONE, not just young people.

scoobynews
scoobynews 06/08/11 - 08:23 am
Amen j kroma no one no matter

Amen j kroma no one no matter what age should have to bury their child.

scoobynews
scoobynews 06/08/11 - 08:28 am
Thanks Sentinal. I meant no

Thanks Sentinal. I meant no disrespect to this young woman's family but having seen first hand what driving under the influence did to my own family I can only hope no other family has to go through a loss such as this. First DUIs should have much harsher penalties and if a person chooses to drink and drive please have a DD.

BelleBelle22
BelleBelle22 06/08/11 - 08:29 am
You right southerbelle62 they

You right southerbelle62 they need to leave it alone this family has lost there daughter an it was uncalled for the person drinking an driving should be mad to think real hard for the loss. I am praying for the family an my heart hurts for them.

edubb
edubb 06/08/11 - 09:14 am
Sounds like this poor guy was

Sounds like this poor guy was struggling with a drug addiction to Alcohol. Who is selling this legal poison that destroys so many men and women? Who made it legal? Why is it legal compared to other drugs? Is Anheuser Busch to blame? RIP to Whitney

soitgoes
soitgoes 06/08/11 - 10:57 am
what in the world is a 20

what in the world is a 20 year old girl doing with a 37 year old derelict?

whyme
whyme 06/08/11 - 11:22 am
Until the Augusta Chronicle

Until the Augusta Chronicle decides that respect and dignity are more important than keeping controversy going on here under the 1st Amendment act, folks who are insensitive will be allowed to post whatever they like without regards to the feelings of others. We all know that this sort of forum sells ads and brings in revenue. So you can complain to the management or as some folks would say, just don't get on here and read the comments. Same thing folks say when you complain about the level of violence and sexuality on tv-just don't watch. There's got to be a better way to do business. In the meantime, my condolences to the family and hopefully the legal system will be able to do its job and all involved will get a fair review, which we know wouldn't happen if it depended on this site.

Stormwater fee to fund Columbia County repairs