Plucking fountain pennies at Surrey Center costs pair

Two charged with disorderly conduct

With 126 pennies jingling in his pocket, Kenneth Boose Jr. strolled over to the Circle K to buy a big drink. He was standing at the counter when he spotted the black-and-gray police cruiser pull into the parking lot.

"My heart started racing," said Boose, 20, on Thursday morning. "I thought, 'I'm going to jail tonight.' "

Boose was right. Both he and his friend, John Richard Baker, were arrested on a charge of disorderly conduct, deputies said, after they say they stole change from the fountain at Surrey Center shopping plaza on Highland Avenue.

Since the story was first reported on augustachronicle.com, some online commenters have expressed the opinion that deputies should have let the change thieves go with a stern warning. Others have lauded the arrests as appropriate, no matter how small the theft.

Boose provided his side of the story Thursday.

He said by telephone that he was at his friend's girlfriend's house when he and Baker decided to go for a walk about 4 a.m. Along the way, they saw the pennies at the bottom of the dry fountain and decided to take them, Boose said.

"I knew it was wrong, but I didn't think it was a big deal," said Boose, who has been arrested for shoplifting once before.

A sheriff's report states that Boose had $1.26 in change; Baker had $1.51 in change. Boose said there were no silver coins in the fountain, just pennies.

A passer-by saw the theft and called police; the investigating deputy was flagged down by a passer-by who pointed him to the suspects, a report says.

Deputy Daryl Oehrlein confronted the pair, who admitted to taking the money and offered to put it back, the report says.

Boose said Oehrlein planned to let them go, but his supervisor, who is not named in a report, told Oehrlein to make the arrest.

"(The supervisor) said 'I should arrest both of you for stealing my daughter's wishes,' " Boose said, quoting the deputy.

Efforts on Thursday to track down the supervisor were unsuccessful. Baker's phone wasn't working Thursday.

The deputy's report says he was unable to find a victim at the time, but presumably the fountain belongs to Surrey Center. Surrey Center owner Alonzo Boardman Jr. did not return a call seeking comment Thursday.

Boose's father, Kenneth Boose Sr., a former Richmond County sheriff's deputy, said he just about passed out when he heard his son was arrested. His surprise grew as he learned the details.

"I don't have any clue why they would lock him up," he said. "It's silly, just silly."

ECDanes
ECDanes 06/03/11 - 12:21 am
This is taking on a life of

This is taking on a life of its own.

iLove
iLove 06/03/11 - 02:21 am
I agree. There is a news

I agree.

There is a news magazine published every Thurs. here in the CSRA. This magazine has an excellent article this week about the judicial center and the lack of parking. The author relates this issue with the issue of weather Augusta needs a baseball stadium downtown @ this time. I suggest that you read the article. . . it relates to this story.

How?
It seems that "make dumb decisions" is embeded in the culture of Augusta.

AND THEN his father is a former deputy. . .lol, lol, lol.

WoodyKaminer
WoodyKaminer 06/03/11 - 03:16 am
This is just stupid from

This is just stupid from every angle. From the "taking a walk at 4am, to the theft of pennies, to someone calling the cops, to the deputy assuming who the victim was, and to top it off, the supervisors "stealing my daughters wishes" comment. This supervisor must certainly have thought he was filming Goonies 2.

fatboyhog
fatboyhog 06/03/11 - 05:31 am
"I knew it was wrong, but I

"I knew it was wrong, but I didn't think it was a big deal." Those little things that you know are wrong, but don't think are a big deal, turn out to have consequences. Boose would do well to remember this the next time he takes a 4 a.m. stroll.

InChristLove
InChristLove 06/03/11 - 05:35 am
What?? Isn't this the same

What?? Isn't this the same story that was published yesterday but with a different heading?

trujustis
trujustis 06/03/11 - 05:44 am
O.k., walking to the Circle K

O.k., walking to the Circle K to get a Big Gulp at 4:00 a.m., not to smart, taking pennies from a fountain, not to smart, the R.C.S.O. waisting the taxpayers money on an arrest, transportation and booking, not to smart. A citation to appear or a stern warning
not be seen out after 12:00 again would have been a little more appropriate and would have served the same purpose.

dougk
dougk 06/03/11 - 06:13 am
You wouldn't happen to be

You wouldn't happen to be supervisor, would you, Fatboyhog??

charlie marlow
charlie marlow 06/03/11 - 07:50 am
When told that they were

When told that they were being arrested for stealing someone's daughter's wishes, one of them should have responded with, "Yeah, but you know what? This one, this one right here. This was my dream, my wish. And it didn't come true. So I'm taking it back. I'm taking them all back."

EMS6465
EMS6465 06/03/11 - 07:52 am
A thief is a thief no matter

A thief is a thief no matter if it is a 1.26 or a million dollars. If you u steal then u should go to jail, Case Closed. And nothing good comes out of going for walk at 4 in the morning. And since he is a son of a ex-deputy the he shound know the law, regarding taking someone elses property. Great Job RCSO keep it up.

WoodyKaminer
WoodyKaminer 06/03/11 - 07:55 am
Charlie, Charlie, you

Charlie, Charlie, you Goonie!!!

Rather
Rather 06/03/11 - 08:40 am
Why does the AC consider this

Why does the AC consider this news? Good grief, what is next?

Einstein
Einstein 06/03/11 - 08:47 am
Wow... Tough crowd. For those

Wow... Tough crowd. For those of you who believe that this is a black and white issue, let me explain something to you.... Most felonies involve the theft of something valued at $500 or more. It's not as simple as, stealing = huge criminal offense.

Emerydan
Emerydan 06/03/11 - 09:45 am
First off, it is not clear at

First off, it is not clear at all who they were stealing from. These were coins tossed away by people. The police supervisor made it sound like this was a theft of "wishes".. well that's a pretty lame charge and doubt it would hold up in any court. It's not like they went in and drained the fountain and vacuumed up hundreds of dollars in coins. The fountain was dry.. there were some pennies in the basin and they leaned in and took a total of $2.77 worth of pennies.. yep that's certainly cause for going to the slammer. Good grief! And disorderly conduct (which was the charge levied.. NOT theft).. makes you think they were running around naked, hooping and hollering, etc. Were they? That would be interesting info because that might explain the DC charge.. but usually it is just a BS charge when they can't think of anything else to charge someone with. And for all the sanctimonious on here saying well stealing is stealing, so they should go to jail.. well then why were they not charged with theft? I mean if they were truly committing theft, shouldn'yt that be the charge? And how would you feel if the police were called out and arrested a 5 year old for fishing out a penny from a fountain? I mean I guess by your on accords, that is theft, regardless of how small.. so they should go to jail too, right?

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 06/03/11 - 10:50 am
It's really all about the big

It's really all about the big Boose, not the little Boose.

And if they can't prove the DC, shouldn't the judge let them go?

Patty-P
Patty-P 06/03/11 - 10:51 am
Why hasn't the supervisors

Why hasn't the supervisors name surfaced? It was ultimately his decision to arrest the two.

faithson
faithson 06/03/11 - 10:54 am
I think there should be an

I think there should be an investigation into where all the 'silver' went. You know someone had already been through when all that was left was copper.

Emerydan
Emerydan 06/03/11 - 11:03 am
I agree Patty.. why hasn't

I agree Patty.. why hasn't the supervisor's name been released? We know the name of the 2 young men arrested and the cop who was on the scene.. but it sounds like it was this overzealous "supervisor" who was responsible for ordering this trivial arrest.. I think the taxpayers of RC deserve to know who it was.

WW1949
WW1949 06/03/11 - 11:09 am
What about when you go to a

What about when you go to a resturant and take a few packs of the Splenda to use in your coffee at home. Should you be arrested? I think not. This was an unfounded arrest and the supervisor was wrong.

johnlindberg
johnlindberg 06/03/11 - 11:40 am
I agree what if they were

I agree what if they were walking across the parking lot and looked down and saw a penny?? Would they be arrested for picking that up? Great use of city and county funds

chewy
chewy 06/03/11 - 11:46 am
13 years ago i threw a penny

13 years ago i threw a penny into that fountain with the wish that if i ever returned to Augusta that it would become the city it had the potential to be.... i think that penny(wish) was also stolen.

Adder
Adder 06/03/11 - 12:05 pm
Busted by the coppers for

Busted by the coppers for pinching pennies. Too Funny !!!

Patty-P
Patty-P 06/03/11 - 12:09 pm
I just read the part in

I just read the part in todays story that Boose had been arrested for shoplifting previously.

ECDanes
ECDanes 06/03/11 - 12:09 pm
This all reminds me of a

This all reminds me of a scene from The Goonies. Maybe the guys were just taking their wishes back that never came true.

Auglady1234
Auglady1234 06/03/11 - 12:34 pm
I can't believe our tax

I can't believe our tax dollars have to pay for this. I would glady give the pennies to surrey center if these 2 got the charges dropped. Maybe I'll throw an extra one for the supervisors daughter. I would love the supervisor to make a comment. (I'd love to send him a penny!) A citation would have been more appropriate. It must have been a slow night in Augusta: no drug deals, no shootings, no domestic violence or DUI's.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 06/03/11 - 01:42 pm
Disorderly Conduct is a

Disorderly Conduct is a bovine feces charge anyway. Emerydan's comments were 100% right on, and so was WW1949's

This is a joke, has anyone sent this to the Daily Show?

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 06/03/11 - 01:45 pm
So if I am on the beach

So if I am on the beach walking and pick up a sea shell, am I stealing if I don't own the beach?

What about cans from the side of the road?

Hmmmm.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 06/03/11 - 01:58 pm
This sez it all right here,

This sez it all right here, "The deputy's report says he was unable to find a victim at the time, but presumably the fountain belongs to Surrey Center..." So, no victim and an assumption of who owns the building on the cop's supervisor's part.

"Surrey Center owner Alonzo Boardman Jr. did not return a call seeking comment Thursday." Must be at Hilton Head

Emerydan
Emerydan 06/03/11 - 02:12 pm
interesting Brad.. I wonder

interesting Brad.. I wonder if Deke was in Hilton Head too. Hey, maybe they were intending to use those coins for Deke's congressional campaign.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 06/03/11 - 03:16 pm
I think Deke would make a

I think Deke would make a perfect Congressman. He doesn't ever take a stand and he panders to everyone.

Brad

Patty-P
Patty-P 06/03/11 - 03:20 pm
If there is no victim, then

If there is no victim, then there is no crime.