Why take coins from a fountain?

With 126 pennies jingling in his pocket, Kenneth Boose Jr. strolled over to the Circle K to buy a big drink.

He was standing at the counter when he spotted the black-and-gray cruiser pull into the parking lot.

“My heart started racing,” Boose, 20, said this morning. “I thought, ‘I’m going to jail tonight.’”

Boose was right. Both he and his friend, John Richard Baker, were arrested on a charge of disorderly conduct after deputies say they stole change from the fountain at the Surrey Center shopping plaza on Highland Avenue.

Boose said by phone this morning that he was at his friend’s girlfriend’s house and decided to go for a walk around 4 a.m. Along the way they saw the pennies at the bottom of the dry fountain and decided to take them, Boose said.

“I knew it was wrong, but I didn’t think it was a big deal,” Boose said.

A sheriff’s report states Boose had $1.26 in change; Baker had $1.51 in change. Boose said there were no silver coins in the fountain, only pennies.

A passerby witnessed the action and called authorities; the investigating deputy was flagged down by a passerby who pointed him to the two suspects, a report says. Deputy Daryl Oehrlein confronted Boose and Baker, who admitted to taking the money and offered to put it back, the report says.

Boose said Oehrlein planned to let them go, but his supervisor, who is not named in a report, told Oehrlein to make the arrest.

“(The supervisor) said ‘I should arrest both of you for stealing my daughter’s wishes,’” Boose said.

Boose's father, Kenneth Boose Sr., a former Richmond County sheriff's deputy, said he just about passed out when he heard his son was arrested. His surprise only grew as he learned the details.

“I don’t have any clue why they would lock him up,” Boose said. “It’s silly, just silly.”

Comments (89)

Spelunkerman
Spelunkerman 06/02/11 - 10:21 am

realitycheck. You mean you

realitycheck. You mean you do not understand why someone would get stopped for taking something that doesn't belong to them? What's your address, I'll be right over.

Emerydan
Emerydan 06/02/11 - 10:33 am

And who exactly does the

And who exactly does the change belong to? The Wish Fairy? I found a dollar in the parking lot at Home Depot the other day, I guess someone should call the cops on me too. I hope the paper will print the name of this "supervisor" who insisted on arresting these dangerous criminals.

daphne3520
daphne3520 06/02/11 - 10:34 am

No wonder Boose, Sr., is an

No wonder Boose, Sr., is an EX-cop!!!!!

Chillen
Chillen 06/02/11 - 10:44 am

Stealing is silly? This from

Stealing is silly? This from a former deputy?!! It doesn't matter if it's $5 or $500. Theft is theft.

If someone came into my home and stole a 6 cokes out of my fridge, I'd call the police on them. 99.9999% of Americans would do the same thing.

The change belongs to the owner of the fountain. He probably uses it to help keep it running & maintained.

The person who called the police on these 2 was 100% in the right for doing it. As far as they knew they were stealing the change there and then moving on to break into a store. Or trying to damage the fountain. To ridicule that person is ridiculous.

my.voice
my.voice 06/02/11 - 10:55 am

Why are all these people out

Why are all these people out and about at 4am?

realitycheck09
realitycheck09 06/02/11 - 10:55 am

My comment got removed

My comment got removed because I apparently used a no-no word. My apologies to everyone's hyper sensibilities.

What is said was, basically: I don't know who is a bigger [moron]: the cop (or supervisor) or the person who called the police.

Spelunkerman - I am sure the cop had something better to do that harass some drunk kid at 4 a.m. who took 150 pennies from a fountain. A friendly "move along, sir" would do.

realitycheck09
realitycheck09 06/02/11 - 10:56 am

Emerydan - actually you did

Emerydan - actually you did commit a theft: theft of abandoned property. Seriously. This is why we have "discretion"...to avoid silly, ridiculous situations like this.

fatboyhog
fatboyhog 06/02/11 - 11:01 am

Emerydan misses the entire

Emerydan misses the entire point. A theft is a theft. He walked over and TOOK something that was not his. That is a theft. Plain and simple.

And yeah, if the person that lost the dollar bill reported it stolen, and had proof that it was theirs, it is a theft. Look up "Theft of lost or mislaid property".

Now, unless the CRIMINALS (because they did steal) gave me reason to take them to jail, I'd have issued a citation and turned them loose.

fighterzack
fighterzack 06/02/11 - 10:58 am

OK, I know Kenneth Boose, Sr,

OK, I know Kenneth Boose, Sr, and he is as honest as the day is long. He left the force voluntarily to go into banking and finance, and never had a mark against him while an officer. As to why his son would take these coins- anyone who has a child can attest to their child doing something, anything, that is obviously so stupid and out of character that it makes absolutely no sense. Was what he did wrong? Absolutely. Is what is happening to him fair and appropriate punishment? Who among you has not had something like this happen to you, or your child, and had to sit down with the authorities and explain your actions, and then make appropriate retribution. The boy admits what he did was wrong, knows he is going to have to pay for his actions, and is being ridiculed publicly, yet has not seen a judge yet. Plus I know that his punishment at home will be much worse than what the judge will give him. So, all you smart keyboard wizards, and you will know who you are when you take this personally and reply, relax and keep your opinions to yourself. No one else cares what you think, especially those who know these people.

Suzy Q
Suzy Q 06/02/11 - 11:01 am

So, Boose says he KNEW it was

So, Boose says he KNEW it was wrong, but decided to take them anyway because he didn't think it was 'a big deal'?

If you know what you're doing is wrong, but do it anyway, maybe you shouldn't be surprised when the outcome isn't favorable.

Emerydan
Emerydan 06/02/11 - 11:06 am

If it was a "theft" then why

If it was a "theft" then why were they not charged with theft? Instead it was DC. Exactly who were they stealing from?

fatboyhog
fatboyhog 06/02/11 - 11:11 am

They were stealing from the

They were stealing from the owners of the property. Why were they charged with Disorderly Conduct? I can't answer that. Maybe you can find out who the supervisor was and call him or her and ask them. Maybe they figured they'd go with a less serious charge since it was a small sum of money...I don't know. I wasn't there.

InChristLove
InChristLove 06/02/11 - 11:23 am

I don't fault the person who

I don't fault the person who reported this but I'm curious who the "supervisor" is. Seems like this could have been handled without having to arrest these two young men. Yeah, what they did was wrong, Boose even admitted to it and offered to put the pennies back. Aren't some situations dealt with without arresting someone. Even in cases of domestic arguments, usually one spouse/partner agrees to leave the resident for the night until both parties can cool down. Just seems to me like overkill. I don't even have a problem with them even receiving a written citation but jail.......so stupid.

Patty-P
Patty-P 06/02/11 - 11:46 am

The fountain was dry.

The fountain was dry. Obviously the owners are not using the money for upkeep. It is a ridiculous charge. I've found change on the ground in numerous places. Picked it up and put it right in my pocket. Do I feel like a thief? NOPE.

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/02/11 - 11:44 am

I think there is a real

I think there is a real problem determining who owned the coins. Because people walking by the fountain threw pennies in the fountain, they were not necessarily giving them to the owners of the shopping center. Let's take it to the Supreme Court. What's the murder rate in Augusta?

ANGEL
ANGEL 06/02/11 - 11:43 am

Need to go back to re-read

Need to go back to re-read the report. Boose is a 20 year old grown man not a child so he knew right from wrong. No matter what you do in life today, if it is wrong and you do not get caught by the law you will get caught in time with your heavenly maker.

Chillen
Chillen 06/02/11 - 11:45 am

The second that money is

The second that money is thrown in to a private or public fountain, it becomes LEGAL PROPERTY of the owner of the fountain. Some people use it for fountain upkeep, some people pocket it, some people give it to charity. If you dont' believe me, look it up online. You'll see.

These 2 guys stole money. Boose is 20 years old, not 13 or 14. He knew better, he knows better and he's going to unfortunately pay for his stupidy. Heck, even a 13 of 14 year old knows they shouldn't steal.

Theft is theft. The dollar amount is irrelevant. That is the end of the story.

dougk
dougk 06/02/11 - 11:47 am

kiwi....it was previously

kiwi....it was previously explained to us in these comments that if these kids' behavior went unckecked and unpunished....it would lead to more substantial thefts and then on to rape and murder.

realitycheck09
realitycheck09 06/02/11 - 11:50 am

dougk - yes, clearly this was

dougk - yes, clearly this was a "gateway" crime. Maybe we should have a public flogging.

kittikatt
kittikatt 06/02/11 - 11:58 am

They were arrested for

They were arrested for disorderly conduct. Why not theft by taking? And who walks to the store at 4 am through the Survey parking lot? Shenanigans. Follow the law and you won't get in trouble.

kiwiinamerica
kiwiinamerica 06/02/11 - 12:12 pm

Well seeing as my previous

Well seeing as my previous comment was deleted for whatever reason, I'll keep this one short, sweet and to the point.

To all the Wyatt Earp wannabees out there.

Let's say that this guy takes a single penny from the fountain. What do we do with him? Throw him in jail?

So for $1.26 you get thrown in the slammer. For $0.01, you don't?

Any deputies out there?

How many copper pennies would I need to pilfer from a fountain in order to get tossed in the pokey?

Maybe we could think of this as a mathematical equation; 1< x < 126, where "x" is the number of pennies one must remove from the fountain in order to go to jail.

ECDanes
ECDanes 06/02/11 - 12:15 pm

The whole thing is pretty

The whole thing is pretty ridiculous... and apparantly even the arresting officer thought so too.. but it was an overzealous supervisor who wanted to push the matter. If there was ever a case that warranted just a warning, it's this one. What's next, bringing out the swat team to arrest a 4 year old who swipes a pack of gum? In this case, these guys pocketed less than $3 worth of pennies that were thrown away by people. Iit's like if someone drops some change in the mall, does the change automatically become the property of the mall? Am I committing a theft for picking it up? Were the owners of Surrey Center wanting to prosecute this matter? (I doubt it, because it would make them look very petty and would cost them more in PR than what it was worth.. less than $3 in pennies.)

tabletop
tabletop 06/02/11 - 12:16 pm

Such idiotic comments. The

Such idiotic comments. The amount stolen does matter. Madoff stole billions and was allowed to surrender to be booked. The officer could have written a citation. The problem is an unqualified supervisor and he needs to be replaced. My comments have nothing to do about whether it was right or wrong.

ECDanes
ECDanes 06/02/11 - 12:22 pm

I'm just curious.. what's the

I'm just curious.. what's the bigger crime here? The taking of 277 pennies from a fountain or trying to pay for 2 fountain drinks at Circle K with 277 pennies?

InChristLove
InChristLove 06/02/11 - 12:23 pm

I don't think the issue is

I don't think the issue is whether Boose and Baker were wrong for taking the pennies out of the fountain, I think the issue goes to does the punishment fit the crime.

I wonder when I pick up loose change on the grocery store floor....can I be arrested?

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/02/11 - 12:27 pm

For the sake of argument, I

For the sake of argument, I threw some coins in that fountain, but I was not intending to give them to the mall owners. I don't mind if the two guys got them out.

dougk
dougk 06/02/11 - 12:29 pm

It's bad luck NOT to pick it

It's bad luck NOT to pick it up, ICL. As long as the coins are face up.

InChristLove
InChristLove 06/02/11 - 12:36 pm

Well dougk, if it's face

Well dougk, if it's face down, can I close my eyes while picking it up and not be doomed?

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/02/11 - 12:37 pm

I know this old guy who used

I know this old guy who used to put a dollar in the church collection plate and take back a ten.

dougk
dougk 06/02/11 - 12:37 pm

No, bad luck. Then you'll

No, bad luck. Then you'll get arrested...and the roof leaks at the jail.