2 charged with taking change from Surrey fountain

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 10:39 AM
Last updated 11:15 PM

Two men were arrested Monday, accused of stealing loose change out of a fountain at Surrey Center.

A passer-by reported the theft around 4 a.m., and a deputy was flagged down by another witness. The witness told the deputy the suspects had fished the change out of the fountain and were trying to spend it at the nearby Circle K, at 499 Highland Ave., a Richmond County sheriff's report states.

The deputy confronted the suspects, who reportedly admitted to the theft. Kenneth Boose, of the 1300 block of Aylesbury Drive, had $1.26 in his pocket, and John Baker, of the 2700 block of Margate Drive, had $1.51 in his pocket, the report states. Both were charged with disorderly conduct.

ispy4u
ispy4u 05/31/11 - 10:52 am
Are you serious??????

Are you serious??????

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 05/31/11 - 11:07 am
I hope they learned their

I hope they learned their lesson..

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 05/31/11 - 11:12 am
Who owns the coins in the

Who owns the coins in the fountain? Does the property manager own the coins thrown in the fountain?

Doesn't the Mayor's family own that Surrey Center strip mall?

Glad to see we can't crack down on landlords that rent out flop/crack houses, but we can arrest two folks for taking less than $4 of thrown away money from a fountain.

I guess they were stealing people's wishes and dreams?

And it could have been an orderly removal of coins.

1313 05/31/11 - 11:20 am
I assume these are kids or

I assume these are kids or teenagers. My dad would have marched me back over there to the fountain and made me throw the money back. Then he would have told me how disappointed he was in me. Believe me, I would rather have had the beating.

Dixieman
Dixieman 05/31/11 - 12:14 pm
Now my wish won't come true!!

Now my wish won't come true!!

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/31/11 - 12:18 pm
Don't we have bigger fish to

Don't we have bigger fish to fry?

Willow Bailey
20579
Willow Bailey 05/31/11 - 12:36 pm
Did they destroy any

Did they destroy any property? Are we really this mean? It sounds like they may have been hungry. The person who reported this must have an iron heart and absolutely no discernment.

And 1313, you also are assuming these people have a father.
And that they had the good fortune of growing up "Leave it to Beaver" sytle. We all didn't, you know. But for the grace of God, there go I.....

And that change is mine; they can have it all.

dwb619
dwb619 05/31/11 - 12:36 pm
You don,t mess with the

You don,t mess with the Boardman's in Augusta.

Willow Bailey
20579
Willow Bailey 05/31/11 - 12:48 pm
All of the Boardman's, that

All of the Boardman's, that I know, are very nice people and would not have wanted anyone locked up over loose change for hunger. If they were destroying property or a threat to the public, that would be a different matter.

BamaMan
BamaMan 05/31/11 - 12:52 pm
My dad wouldn't have spared

My dad wouldn't have spared the belt on me, either. Might seem like a small thing to some, but that's where it begins usually, small. Get away with it, and try for bigger. Caught one of mine when they were about 5, with a candybar that they had snuck out of 7-11. I marched him right back in the store, made him hand it to the clerk and apologize. I guarantee you he never stole again.

crackertroy
crackertroy 05/31/11 - 12:57 pm
It's an issue of tact, Surry

It's an issue of tact, Surry Center is having the fight of its life trying to maintain the reputation/look/image of a classy strip mall near the heart of the city. Especially with the dilapidated crack neighborhood nearby. It's not about the amount, it's about the reputation of the Surry Center.

Folks want to complain about the eyesore and embarrassment Regency Mall is to the city. These are the types of things that started the Regency Mall downfall, first it was change out the fountain, then someone's wallet, then twenty peoples' wallet, then rape, etc. etc. Wait until Surry Center folds, Columbia County will gain an even newer population.

No one wants to spend money at a place where vagrants are roaming stealing change from the fountain because the obvious implication is that if they'll steal the change, what will stop them from stealing a shopper's personal property?

Glad they were arrested. Stop the downfall before it starts.

El Guapo
El Guapo 05/31/11 - 12:58 pm
This one, this one was MY

This one, this one was MY dream, MY wish... And I'm taking it back. I'm taking them ALL back...

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 05/31/11 - 01:11 pm
Public floggings anyone?

Public floggings anyone?

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 05/31/11 - 01:13 pm
Great one El Guapo, or should

Great one El Guapo, or should I say Mouth?

Patty-P
Patty-P 05/31/11 - 01:14 pm
And many of the posters out

And many of the posters out there complain about the money spent to house people who are arrested. I've known people to do FAR worse and walk away completely. This is ridiculous.

trapper don
trapper don 05/31/11 - 01:21 pm
hahahahahahaha this town is

hahahahahahaha this town is full of a buncha morons....a girl can get beat down by her boyfriend in that parking lot and nothing happens somebody takes 3 bucks from a fountain and goes to jail........this is why im moving to greenville

Patty-P
Patty-P 05/31/11 - 01:27 pm
yep...you have a point

yep...you have a point trapper.

Willow Bailey
20579
Willow Bailey 05/31/11 - 01:36 pm
I shop and dine in Surrey,

I shop and dine in Surrey, frequently, but not at 4:00 a.m.
If we see the homeless eating out of the dumpster, should we call 911?

This is insanity. I love the parenting lessons being shared, as if they really
expect these fellows have any kind of a functional home life.

It all reminds me of the old adage misattributed to Marie Antoinette,
"If they have no bread, let them eat cake."

If any of you who are jumping up and down to lock these boys up, are searching for your spiritual gifts; it is not the gift of mercy.

May all your transgressions be judged by the same measuring stick that you use to judge others.

Willow Bailey
20579
Willow Bailey 05/31/11 - 01:38 pm
trapper, sorry,there is no

trapper, sorry,there is no geographical cure for the foolishness of men/women. But, there is great shopping and dining in Greenville! Such a beautiful city.

countyman
19155
countyman 05/31/11 - 01:56 pm
It never amazes me how

It never amazes me how somebody from another county always brings up a current shopping center and then Regency Mall.. The Regency Mall closed eleven years ago in a working class area.. These people are lucky the Augusta Chronicle doesn't print a larger portion of the crime reports outside of Richmond County..

The Sand Hills neighborhood does have some raggedy homes, but some are very nice as well.. The Surrey Center is located near Summerville, Forest Hills, Wheeler rd, Berckman Rd, Augusta Country Club, ASU, and Augusta National...

bdouglas
bdouglas 05/31/11 - 01:47 pm
So people willingly throw

So people willingly throw change away into a fountain and you can get arrested for taking it. What if I go around picking up cigarette butts that people willingly threw away? Will I get arrested? If I dig through trash cans for coupons? Same difference really. And who can prove they weren't just retrieving money they threw in themselves at a prior time? Just playing devil's advocate...

fatboyhog
fatboyhog 05/31/11 - 01:47 pm
Let's just pick and choose

Let's just pick and choose what crimes we'll prosecute. Was it their money? No. Did they TAKE it? Yes. At what point is it acceptable to take something that doesn't belong to you? Do they need to go to jail and serve time? Of course not. But, they can do some community service. So many times, things start small and then escalate. Today it's stealing a few dollars from a fountain and the next thing it's shoplifting, and then more.They were charged with a misdemeanor disorderly conduct.

Trapper, what incident are you referring to? Did the victim desire to prosecute? I find it hard to believe that someone got "beat down" in a parking lot and the offender was not arrested. What's the rest of the story?

trapper don
trapper don 05/31/11 - 02:10 pm
my whole point is you have

my whole point is you have people that get stabbed shot and robbed and wont even talk to the police about who did it......you have two girls that were killed execution style and still noone from the public is standing up yelling for justice you have drug houses in downtown that have been in business since the 90s nothing happens....but yet two dudes at 4 o clock in the morning no less take money that is thrown away into a fountain and this requires calling the cops and better yet the cops actually put on the sirens and blues lights to get the viscious criminals.....and no my sisters friend was beat down around a group noone called the cops noone did anything thats the whole point

trapper don
trapper don 05/31/11 - 02:11 pm
and yes greenville is

and yes greenville is beautiful augusta could learn alot from that place because it used to be a dangerous place now even the homless people beg in ralph lauren lol

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/31/11 - 02:14 pm
The Regency Mall was taken

The Regency Mall was taken down by hoodlums.....stealing/harrassing women shoppers........my daughters worked there.....When women don't feel safe while shopping they will go to other shops..too bad because it was a wonderful mall at one time.

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/31/11 - 02:15 pm
Surrey center will probably

Surrey center will probably beef up their security. I still love that shopping center.....esp. the French Market Grill.

Willow Bailey
20579
Willow Bailey 05/31/11 - 02:17 pm
Let's just make it about

Let's just make it about what everyone gets, money. Do we have the budgeted funds for such nonsense?

Could the boys not have been told, don't come back to Surrey except during normal business hours with your Visa card in tow? If you do, it's going to be a problem.

Boogaloo
Boogaloo 05/31/11 - 02:42 pm
I started on my life of crime

I started on my life of crime by stealing 3 quarters someone had placed next to the baby Jesus in a manger scene at church. But I have rehabilitated myself and now proudly serve in the US Congress where there is no crime at all.

dougk
dougk 05/31/11 - 02:43 pm
really....crackertroy? You

really....crackertroy? You were able to make a connection between pilfering some thrown-away coins in a fountain leading all the way to rape?
It's amazing.

ECDanes
ECDanes 05/31/11 - 02:56 pm
This seems to be overkill. I

This seems to be overkill. I mean, who exactly did they steal from? People essentially threw these coins away when they threw them into the fountain.. were they throwing them in there with the intention of them being safely kept, like in a piggy bank? Come on! Do the owners of Surrey Center own those coins? (Like the Boardmans really need those coins to scrape by!). Are they dedicated to a specific charity? Is there a sign at the fountain saying this? I do find it ridiculous when folks in Harrisburg, South Augusta and elsewhere have to deal with real crimes on a daily basis and get the run-around.. yet when something trivial like this happens at High-filutin Surrey Center, they practically call in a swat team (yes I know I'm exaggerating for effect) and it makes the paper. Augusta never ceases to amaze me.

Commission rejects tax jump

Seven commissioners nixed a proposed tax increase Monday that would cost a typical homeowner $70 a year, leaving the countywide millage unset with just a few days to meet state deadlines.