Fleeing mom crashes car with 3 kids inside

A Hephzibah mother is in jail after police say she led deputies on a drunken, high-speed chase down Travis Road last weekend with three young children in the car.

Avrett  Richmond County Sheriff's Office photo
Richmond County Sheriff's Office photo
Avrett

The vehicle crashed and Rebecca Avrett, 27, of the 3500 block of Mercedes Drive, was hospitalized. She was booked into the Richmond County jail Wednesday after her release from Medical College of Georgia Hospital.

The incident began Saturday night, police said, when a Richmond County sheriff’s deputy spotted what appeared to be an accident involving two cars in the intersection of James Drive and Patrick Avenue. When the deputy stopped to investigate, the driver of one of the cars, identified as Avrett, sped off, according to a sheriff’s report. The deputy pursued the vehicle along James Drive at speeds reaching 85 mph.

After running three stop signs, Avrett lost control of the car and struck a tree at 2401 Travis Road. The three children, ages 6 to 8, might have been injured, according to the report. Police said their medical status was not immediately available this morning. Also in the car was a man identified as Johnathan Smally, 30, of Grovetown.

Avrett was unable to give a statement to deputies after the wreck because of her injuries. She was taken to the Medical College of Georgia Hospital and upon her release, was booked into the Richmond County Jail.

She faces 16 charges, including three counts of endangering a child while driving under the influence, reckless driving and fleeing and attempting to elude an officer, according to jail records.

Inside the vehicle, the deputy found an open container of Bud Ice as well as cans of the of the alcohol-infused energy drink Four Loko.

Comments (13)

bclicious
bclicious 05/20/11 - 09:41 am

It's all the Sheriff

It's all the Sheriff department's fault. If they hadn't been doing their jobs, then she would have never gotten into a wreck!

Did I mention that it was society's fault as well? Oh, but definitely not Rebecca Avrett. In no way should she be held accountable for her actions.

Actually she should sue!

SARCASM!!!!!!!!!!

wondersnevercease
wondersnevercease 05/20/11 - 09:43 am

first and formost take those

first and formost take those children away from her ......

bojangles
bojangles 05/20/11 - 11:54 am

This trash bag is brought to

This trash bag is brought to you by Glad Force Flex

Sweet son
Sweet son 05/20/11 - 12:06 pm

Not in Hephzibah?

Not in Hephzibah?

sassylassie
sassylassie 05/20/11 - 01:08 pm

Too bad the poor kids have

Too bad the poor kids have this sorry excuse for a mom. Take them away and give them a better life! How sad. Your mom has you in the car, is obviously jacked up on something, and decides to nearly kill you. What a great life!

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 05/20/11 - 01:36 pm

If the state keeps taking all

If the state keeps taking all of the children from bad parents, we will have more in state custody than parental custody.

We need to do something (probably not possible) where parents are responsible adults prior to having children. One thing that would make people think twice is to revoke ALL tax credits, welfare, etc. that individuals receive just because they have more children.

Great job by Hephzibah PD and RCSO in getting this lunatic off of the streets.

Dixieman
Dixieman 05/20/11 - 02:48 pm

"three children aged 6 to 8"

"three children aged 6 to 8" means one a year!!

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 05/20/11 - 04:11 pm

I know this woman, and she IS

I know this woman, and she IS not "right"...well, that's pretty much an understatement, isn't it? Her ex-husband has been in a bitter fight with her over the custody of the children, but for some reason, the state keeps allowing her her "rights" as a mother! Well, I guess that's coming to an end very soon, huh? I mean, I hope so! I hope the kids are okay. If I hear of anything, I'll let y'all know...that is, if the paper allows it.

etlinks
etlinks 05/20/11 - 04:35 pm

Sad story. Was the black eye

Sad story. Was the black eye before or after the wreck? But I guess what does that matter.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 05/20/11 - 07:47 pm

Two things...I was wrong, her

Two things...I was wrong, her husband is not an "ex" but they have been seperated for a couple of years (no money for a divorce and custody fight). From what I was told, the kids are miraculously okay physically.

truth101
truth101 05/26/11 - 05:51 pm

I know this woman very well

I know this woman very well and it may not seem like it now, but she is a good mother. Somebody said she was in a custody fight but that is not true at all because the kids dad hasn't wanted custody of them. He sees them four days out of the month at the most. She's been under a lot of stress (no excuse) but she loves her kids

michelengeorgia
michelengeorgia 06/29/11 - 09:09 pm

She is my sister in law & I

She is my sister in law & I just found out about this today & I hope she does hard time for this! I can't believe she was SO stupid especially since her mom died after fleeing police! If this doesn't wake Rebecca up I don't know what will. We always tried to tell her to stop being so stupid.

michelengeorgia
michelengeorgia 06/29/11 - 09:11 pm

@Dixieman the kids ages are

@Dixieman the kids ages are incorrect they are closer to 9 & just turned 5.

KSL
KSL 06/29/11 - 09:51 pm

Truth, stress is no excuse

Truth, stress is no excuse for doing what she did.

Augusta man gets life without parole in killing

Jonathan Lee Felton, 23, was convicted in Richmond County Superior Court of murder and weapon charges for the Oct. 25, 2010, shooting death of 22-year-old Eric "Easy" Wright.