Man dead after burst of gunfire

A 23-year-old Augusta man was shot and killed just after midnight Saturday.

Back | Next
Angelo Quinn Daggett: Man, 23, was found dead of a gunshot wound on the ground behind River Glen Apartments.    MICHAEL HOLAHAN/staff
MICHAEL HOLAHAN/staff

According to the Richmond County's Sheriff's office, deputies heard what sounded like gunshots shortly before 12:30 a.m. and arrived at River Glen Apartments, 201 E. Telfair St., to find Angelo Quinn Daggett dead behind Building Y.

Records show that Daggett had multiple arrests and convictions and was released from the Macon State Prison at the end of March.

Brandies Devoe, who lives in a nearby building, said she heard the gunshots and eventually looked outside her window and saw Daggett on the ground, where he appeared to be shot in the face. However, Devoe said she didn't see anyone else or see any cars drive away.

Another man who lives across the street, Wesley Godbold, said he heard about eight shots around midnight, then the police came almost immediately. Godbold said gunshots aren't uncommon in the neighborhood, but it was obvious something was different Saturday morning.

"You could tell by the sound of the gunshots that somebody was getting shot at," Godbold said.

Devoe said she ignored the first gunshot because she's so used to hearing them, but after she heard the sound of the second gun, she got out of bed and looked down to see Daggett lying on the ground.

"It was like he was looking up at me, so it was kind of creepy," she said.

By late Saturday afternoon, two patches of red, white and blue flowers had been placed where Daggett was shot, and a teddy bear holding more flowers was placed up against the building.

Richmond County's Lt. Calvin Chew, the lead investigator for the case, said no more information was available as of Saturday evening. He expects to put out a flier with a photo of Daggett asking for help from the public by Monday or Tuesday.

This was the seventh homicide in Richmond County this year.

A woman who was walking near the scene Saturday afternoon said people shoot guns "every night" at River Glen, where she's lived for two years.

The woman, who did not want to be identified, said the neighborhood has rampant drug problems, and she's so afraid for her children's safety that they stay with her mother.

Records show it's not the first time the neighborhood has seen violence.

Michael Faulks was convicted last year for the murder of 22-year-old Jamar White at Faulks's River Glen apartment in January 2009.

In March 2010, a 16-year-old Laney High School student was wounded by a stray bullet at River Glen.

Two months later, a 22-year-old man reported to the sheriff's office that he was shot at while in his vehicle at the apartment complex.

In August 2009, 30-year-old Yerby Foston was arrested after he shot his wife in their apartment.

No one in the neighborhood said Saturday that they knew Daggett, who lived in the 3100 block of Arcadia Drive.

He was sentenced to two years in prison in October 2009, when he was convicted of obstruction of a law enforcement officer. He was also convicted in 2006 for theft by receiving stolen property.

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 05/15/11 - 03:28 am
Countyman, I love how you

Countyman, I love how you ignore every other thing listed in my post and try and focus on one statement....well, the statement was saying more robberies are occurring in places they didn't use to occur such as well covered areas of West Augusta such as Washington Road and even Surrey Center. I love Richmond County as much as you do but I will not burry my head in the sand as you have and keep acting like everything around here is hunky dorey. We are at a bad juncture for out county and have better put our tax dollars to proper use.

Do we EVER see anyone marching FOR law enforcement or do we just hear and see how it was the cops fault they had to shoot the criminal thug with 27 priors who shouldn't even be there to begin with.....

tbmuch
tbmuch 05/15/11 - 03:37 am
It is certainly unfortunate

It is certainly unfortunate and sad that there are so much lawlessness being exhibited on our streets and in our communities, we can scream more show of force on the streets or harsher sentencing of the accused or anything else that we can imagine but the truth of the matter is as one commenter said, until we do a better job of parenting and I might add, turn to the teachings of my Lord, things will not become better but worst. There is no peace to the wicked, saith the Lord. Isaiah 57:21.

Patty-P
Patty-P 05/15/11 - 05:51 am
asitis...it seems more like

asitis...it seems more like law enforcement doesn't react to crime in 'certain areas' as they do in others. Even more so, it seems that certain 'victims' are not treated as other victims. Does that mean you should stop doing your job? Certainly not. Let the complainers complain. The problem with crime here is the result of years of worrying about being politically correct...letting things slide. If allowed to continue, what will things be like ten years from now?

Cadence
Cadence 05/15/11 - 11:39 am
Is RG section 8 housing? If

Is RG section 8 housing? If so doesn't the government/state have the right to background check/drug test/search/fence off or anything it wants to keep its property safe? Is Augusta (we!) going to just sit by and let our town become Potterville?

ADAMS
ADAMS 05/15/11 - 12:02 pm
Hopefully, they can solve

Hopefully, they can solve this murdered. Liked their quick reponsed to solved the 81- yr- old caucasian who was blunted to demised."Is their a reward offer for any information leading to a arrest for this young victim, i don't remember reading in this news column."

KelPierson
KelPierson 05/15/11 - 12:06 pm
Cadence, yes. And background

Cadence, yes. And background checks are done on all new applicants.

Brad, I begged for the 12 foot wall around the whole property. Upper management would not spend the money.

HotGaPeach, I am sorry ya'll are having a difficult time with Management. I have heard it has gone downhill since I left in November. When I was there, the rules were enforced, drug dealing all but stopped, the gunfire ceased and families could enjoy being outside without fear. It is a shame the new manager has let it go back to hell. You need to call the crime line and report what you saw/heard from the manager.

Hucklebuck
Hucklebuck 05/15/11 - 03:40 pm
More cops aren't going to

More cops aren't going to stop murders. Putting more money into the "black community" isn't going to stop murder and crime. People are just going to have to decide that they are not going to kill and rob each other. This young man was probably doing something that he didn't have any business doing. When you chose that lifestyle you must accept everything that comes with it. You want to have the $3,000 rims on the $500.00 dollar car, you want to have the gold teeth and the tattoos, you want to have the women and the street fame, then you better be damn ready to take what else comes with the choice you make to live that way. I feel sorry for his love ones but I can't feel sorry for him. I grew up in the bad part of town (Laney Walker area) and I saw things that no one should ever have to see. I was able to graduate high school and graduate from college. They see how the story ends with the thug lifestyle but yet they think that it will be different for them. They idolize the Jay Z's the Gucci Manes. etc and cry about how they are victims of the white man. I never saw one white man in my neighborhood selling crack, I never saw one white man shoot anyone, all these things have been done and are being done by blacks. Making it out of the ghetto isn't that hard as long are you are willing to work hard and have a relationship with god. I just knew that there was more to life than the violence, drugs, and crime that I saw everyday. From the environment I grew up in to owning my own home in a predominately white area in Atlanta my common sense won't allow me to think that it can't be done.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 05/15/11 - 03:06 pm
Hucklebuck, you shared a

Hucklebuck, you shared a wonderful testimony and you are an inspiration to any who have ears to hear. If God so leads you, you have the gift and experience to make a difference in the lives of many young men. I am also thinking of how all that you experienced, endured and overcame will be an eternal gift to your own children. May God bless you immensely and grow your territory.

inexpressiblejoi
inexpressiblejoi 05/15/11 - 03:41 pm
Every time I hear about the

Every time I hear about the killing of a black man in a black neighbor, I get discouraged and begin to think about some of my students who are going down that same path and aren't able or ready to "hear" or "receive" the information and knowledge to help deter them from that self-destructive path from positive and influential people/mentors who can relate to their struggle and bet the odds like Hucklebuck.

On another note, I LOVE positive rap music and in 1989 "Stop the Violence All Stars" produced a rap titled, Self-Destruction & in 1990 "West Coast Rap All-Stars" produced a rap titled, We're All In The Same Gang, and these particular rap songs were great because the youth idolize the rap artists and these artists was trying to convey an uplifting message to stop black on black crime. Maybe our youth need another anthem as such because many are spiraling out of control.

Peace & Simplicity Always!!! :)

Hucklebuck
Hucklebuck 05/15/11 - 04:20 pm
I don't think that I beat any

I don't think that I beat any odds I just did what I was suppose too. This is america one of the few places in the world where you can be born poor but make something out of yourself. I stayed out of trouble and focused on my school work. I am in the Big Brothers Program and have mentored several youth over the years but the biggest thing I can say to the children is that there is more to life than what they see everyday in the inner city. So much negative things in life can rob one of their potential in or out of the hood but in the hood those things are right in the open trying to grab you everyday. I am not ashamed of where I come from because it made me the man I am today.

madgerman
madgerman 05/15/11 - 05:53 pm
Brad, I kinda agree we need

Brad, I kinda agree we need more cops. But I wpould bet if we tripled the number we have, the sheriff would find an excuse for more. It appears we are in a war zone in some paqrts of the city and swift action is needed. Perhaps a transfer of deputies from the jail to road patrol would be appropriate or maybe we need to figure out if the DARE force is more important than road patrol. It seems that the department isn't willing to allocate occicers based on the situation at hand. The sheriff needs to decide if the unit sitting for hours at the four way on crosscreek is more effective in a parked or a moving position? Perhaps the sheriff can't legally assign officers to duties as needed, if that is the case we need new leadership. P.S. I still say the boomers in the rusted out buckets are the clarion call for the scum of Augusta and until the sheriff starts issueing citations they will just continue to cause mayham.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 05/16/11 - 08:13 am
hotgeorgiapeach28, First you

hotgeorgiapeach28,
First you say more cops won't help, then a few lines later say we need more 'law enforcement'. Which is it?

Hucklebuck,
You are speaking from emotions not cold hard facts. It has been proven that increased numbers of police coupled with stiffer fines and punishment does reduce crime. Is it an 'instant pudding' answer? No. Would it work, the numbers say yes.

KelPierson,
Sometimes a few eggs like this have to be broken before an omelet is made. In Iraq we can secure entire parts of cities and huge compounds, bases, and camps with a determined enemy with military weapons and abilities, yet you mean to tell me we can't secure ONE friggin apartment complex? The answer is, we can, but as you stated, the suits want to make more money. I have a question for you, do the tenants have to pay you or does the government money go directly into their account out of town?

Folks, the simple solutions to security are there but they cost money. I have learned a lot about what can be done by good security if the will and the money is there over the past five years. When it comes to security and access control, there are only a few solutions that can work.

I still say cut transit and add more cops. Cut the damn TEE funding and hire more cops, cut the DDA funding and hire more cops, cut the CVB and hire more cops, cut parks and rec and hire more cops, cut commissioners fuel budget and pay and hire more cops, cut EVERYTHING and hire more cops. RAISE TAXES and hire more cops. Do SOMETHING and hire more cops.

When I get my property assessment they are mailing out today, I sure hope the values do not reflect the situation in RC, that is the next shoe to drop on all this.

Brad

Patty-P
Patty-P 05/16/11 - 07:57 am
Brad...I think georgiapeach

Brad...I think georgiapeach is saying that it makes no sense to hire more cops if they are going to be passive when enforcing the law. She stated that they are not going by the book 100% of the time, and are aware of the drugs and disorder in her apartment complex, yet nothing is being done about it. In her case, hiring more cops won't help if they are going to let things slip anyway. As I said, I think there is a difference in how things are handled according to the area or where a person lives.

KelPierson
KelPierson 05/16/11 - 09:52 am
Brad, Direct deposit from

Brad,

Direct deposit from Augusta Housing Authority.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 05/16/11 - 10:08 am
Patty-P, I refuse to believe

Patty-P,

I refuse to believe that a sheriff's deputy sees people smoking weed and doesn't stop it. I am calling BS on that one.

If the residents armed themselves and started shooting back and providing accurate intelligence on the perps that deputies could do more.

I just refuse to accept as fact the idea that deputies do not enforce obvious law breaking as stated here. And if it is a fact, then we need more officers so that the "Broken Window" style policing can be put in place.

The facts and historical data are clear, more cops, tougher enforcement, and tougher sentences reduces crime.

I will agree that right now there is no real punishment for these bozos so they do what they want with impunity.

If you want a direct solution for solving these particular RG problems you need a multi-pronged approach. I would need to do a complete security survey to be sure, but form what I have read I would say these would make a huge difference right away if done;

a.) Have an ID program where legit tenants have a color coded ID
b.) Have all visitors sign in and require photo ID to come in
c.) Require escort by security or tenant for all visitors to enter
d.) Have vehicle passes and enforce searches of non-resident cars

5.) Install a Closed Circuit T.V. (CCTV) security system with proper lighting (and passive IR activation of lights in areas not requiring light all the time) on all areas of the compound with digital recording for evidence collection

6.) Roving patrol of all grounds every 30 minutes by security.

7.) Entry and movement alarms on all non-manned entry gates.

I am sure I could make this problem go away in about as long as it took me to deploy my guards there and install the equipment.

With my earlier statements, I am addressing the long term crime wave that has been affecting Augusta when I advocate more cops, better pay, tougher enforcement, and tougher sentencing and punishments.

Brad

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 05/16/11 - 10:10 am
Kel, That is the problem

Kel,

That is the problem right there as well. The owners and upper management "suits" know the check is coming no matter how little they do to protect clients.

The Sheriff should put some requirments in place like I listed above or they should pull the permit to be lic to get giverment money.

Brad

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 05/16/11 - 12:10 pm
Sweet son, I don't know what

Sweet son, I don't know what the answers are, but you just reminded me, I had to call in a suggestion that a certain officer get the brakes fixed on his car a few years ago, because the "perps" could hear him coming, brakes squealing for two blocks away, and would signal each other that he was nearby and the "activities" would cease immediately. It was frustrating calling things in and hearing the perps laughing as they heard his patrol car approach, knowing they were getting away with it again and it was going to make me look like I'd made a false report. It sure took him a long time to get around to fixing those brakes. He's not on the force anymore for other reasons.... or I wouldn't be mentioning it now.

Patty-P
Patty-P 05/16/11 - 01:22 pm
Brad, looking at

Brad, looking at asisitinaugusta's statement above:

'GeorgiaPeach, you make some very good points. However, when law enforcement does step up enforcement in such neighborhoods it is looked upon as harassment and unwanted and unspupported by many. Then, when law enforcement has to act and begins making many arrests or even worse, a real incident occurs and someone draws a gun which recults in law enforcement shooting and killing them, we all know have have seen what will happen and law enforcement officers are rarely supported or appreciated.

So, if you were a cop, would you go where you would be less likely to be acused of racism or unnecessary use of force and where you were actually appreciated or would you go somewhere where your job was put on the line often along with your life and you weren't appreciated at all?'

There is a definite double standard where law enforcement is concerned. I don't mean to step on anyone's toes. It is very true and happens more often than people are aware.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 05/16/11 - 02:53 pm
Yes, Patty, there is a double

Yes, Patty, there is a double standard, and the judgement factor is at play even in law enforcement because people are people.

hotgeorgiapeach28
hotgeorgiapeach28 05/16/11 - 03:43 pm
RE: Mr. Brad Owens, Good

RE: Mr. Brad Owens,

Good news and bad news, please read between the line. Understand that there's a difference between numbers in police enforcement vs. the number of officers who go by the book and do their jobs correctly without fault or bios opinions to "law" defined. you can have a million policemen, and out of those 1million have %90 ignore the same situation time and time again with lack of justice, until death occurs or becomes political! there's always room for improvment, remember that. In critical needed areas, sloppy one answer remedies are not answers to mulitple issues. This goes to show you, as i reiterate, an army of cops without their training is simply a waste of Taxpayers money and we've all heard about it. I served in the Army for 6yrs honorably and am now disabled,does that mean i should accept a loss or my funding should be cut from me because of my disability or need for low income housing assistance? NOTE: CCV Cameras will help identify suspects and reduce crime in the Community greatly, and I have said this before to Kelli personally, the prior manager, currently there is only one CCV Cam posted near the office.. Kelli is right however. the need to make money over cost of security is a higher proirity for PK Management(Contracted management Co.).. "today, I just noticed a post on the RG office stating "Coming SOON, community center, Computer Lab, Security office, and much much more!" There is already an unmanned security office for RCSD here, which isn't used often!..wow PK Management sure is slow. Kelli, didn't you attemt to do this too, and PK Managment wouldn't budge on it? INFACT kelli even had a volunteer with proffesional training to set up the potential computer lab and would help network the computer security FREE OF COST for community efforts! Even with a plan and people readily standing by for the ok, no assinstance came from higher up in efforts to better the community!

RE:Patty P, very smart, very realistic with your statments, very much agree with you.

RE: Crime Reports and Rewards TV- Only one hand gun was fired there were no return fire shots, they emptied 9 rounds with the intent to KILL the 9th shot was the head shot, i heard every shot.. they were behind the complex between the apt complex next to RG and the augusta Commons between a high fence and a large building, no one is authorized to be back there by policy which is written in the lease! and they keep tearing down the fences or jumping over them, everyone knows the only time anyone goes back there is when there either running, hiding, dealing, or dont want to be seen..my best assesment of the situation is that, YES, he was indeed up to no good, and it went bad, also the Male deceased Victim does not live here, if anything he was a visitor, chances are when the CSI report is released it will likely be gang/drug related, common issues in poor areas.

KelPierson
KelPierson 05/16/11 - 04:00 pm
GaPeach, I now know who you

GaPeach,

I now know who you are :) And yes, you are correct. I did push for that and more, but was told it "is not in the budget". Well, now someone has been killed and had they found the money to installed the cameras I begged for, they would have the murderer on tape.

Hope you are doing well!

hotgeorgiapeach28
hotgeorgiapeach28 05/16/11 - 04:46 pm
lol..we are very good

lol..we are very good Kelpierson, things are looking upward, The Augusta Housing Authority had a field day a few months ago on re-inspections, it got down right ugly, and the residents could hear them almost cussing PK Management local staff out for repeated repair failures at the assistance of several concerned tenants should we say, what a mess! When an accident down the street hit a power pole the other day and knocked out RG and all its units power, 20 people called the housing authority. No one calls PK or the office anymore for help because they know it won't get anything done...PK do their jobs correctly and respectivly only when they get an angry resident mob on their tails backed up by the Housing Authority.

Strength When needed! thats what people here at RG should give in return, when met with injustice or lack of support!

Patty-P
Patty-P 05/16/11 - 06:17 pm
Very well said Georgiapeach.

Very well said Georgiapeach.

hotgeorgiapeach28
hotgeorgiapeach28 05/16/11 - 08:02 pm
RE:Mr. Brad Owens, one more

RE:Mr. Brad Owens,

one more thing about your following ideas,

1.) people in the complex need to arm themselves and set up a proper neighborhood watch.( this would be a breach of the leasee contract by having fire arms, and grounds for imediate eviction by the Housing Authority and RG apartments and increase weapon violence additionaly!)

2.) Build a 12 foot high solid cement block wall around the entire complex topped with military grade concertina and limited Access Control (entry) Points. (this would be a violation of freedom and may raise civil right issues in lue of possible baricade proceedures, no one likes to live like a prisoner Mr. Owens)

3.) Have the Access Control Points manned by armed private security or extra duty Deputies.(Cost control issues and officer count control, Didn't you say theres not currently enough police staffed at the moment? posible invasion of the privacy act against community residents also, they're not prisoners of war!)
b.) Have all visitors sign in and require photo ID to come in (New lease agreement needed to enforce private agreements, also ids have been talked about but can be passed one person to another to gain access or falsify identity if lost)
c.) Require escort by security or tenant for all visitors to enter (invasion of privacy act of non suspect citizens without a warrent of custody! Freedom and harasement issues.)
d.) Have vehicle passes and enforce searches of non-resident cars(Must issue authorized warrents for vehicle searches and must hold reasonnable suspician to even obtain a warrent by law!)

4.) Have a zero tolerance policy for tenants and visitors when it comes to criminal activities. (Already a Law at all 3 levels, City, State and Federal!)

The problem with your ideas Mr. Owens is simply that they won't work and some of your ideas conflict with state and federal laws...

Remember this is not a war zone, and we don't fall under Geniva convention standards, this is american soil and citizens..not the middle east, and Riverglens finacial resources don't come from the Federal Gov, they come from a private Owner who chooses profit over safety, and how they want to spend their money on their properties! what your suggesting would require a declelration of Marshall law under false pretences and break the very federal laws you swear to uphold!

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 05/16/11 - 07:58 pm
PattyP, there is and will

PattyP, there is and will always be double standards but it works both ways. Also, we are speaking stereotypically, not for all resients or police officers. If you are a cop and your beat has a community area that wants you their and appreciates your service and another area that despises the police, will not cooperate and when you do your job, they call it harassment, you (any human) will most likely tend to go to the first area. That being said, most any/all cops that I know if they see a law being broken, to include smoking dope or drugs, etc. they will do their best to make an arrest.

You can come up with a million other things that will help make things better and/or help law enforcement. That does not take away from the fact that our area has actully lost many officers due to budget reductions, pays a terrible salary, fails to allow for high levels of training and in fact has greatly cut budgeted training thanks to our commissoners.

Yes, we do need more police when all our cops can currently do is respond from call to call. Yes, we do need more cops when going by state and national standards we are woefully short. If we want a pro-active community oriented Sheriff's Office, we at the very least have to give them a decent salary budget (to retain deputies) along with a decent training budget (to ensure they are good at their jobs) and employ at the very least the MINIMUM numbers needed according to national standards. We aren't saying we need a million cops or even more than the minimum standards but when you cut grossly below the minimum standards, pay the worst in the area and drastically cut training it is not in the best interest of the community. So, what does our commission waste time talking about for over a month...where to meet, how to keep bus drivers and their 5 million subsidey funded.

hotgeorgiapeach28
hotgeorgiapeach28 05/16/11 - 08:47 pm
I'm not speaking

I'm not speaking stereotypically, I only speak for myself and what i know to be facts about the same neigborhood i live in where this murder actually occured dirrectly across the street, literally..I want to make this clear to all the readers about what my statements pertain to and what my point of view actually is as a RG Resident!

Patty-P
Patty-P 05/16/11 - 08:57 pm
georgiapeach you are right on

georgiapeach you are right on target with your issues!!! I'm not speaking stereotypically either and I always speak on something that I have witnessed or experienced first hand. The law is the law. It shouldn't get down to the point of whether you patrol and/or enforce the law because you are 'appreciated'. You are silently acknowledging that the hoods and criminals run this city. It's no wonder people don't feel safe around here.

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 05/17/11 - 12:49 am
The law states that you must

The law states that you must have a permit, even at age 7 to have a lemonade stand. The law states you must have a permit for various rummage/garage sales. The law states that if you are in a 55mph speed limit and drive 56mph, your are speeding. The law states that if you have even 1/2 a joint on you, you should be arrested. The law states you can not loiter, be a vagrant, etc. etc. etc. - Try enforcing any/all of those laws on a consistent basis and see where it gets you.

Police have to use good judgement, make decisions, sometimes arrest, sometimes give breaks based on what is taking place, how busy they are, how much paperwork, etc. Police are not robots that simply enforce the law exactly as written with everyone they encouter each time they encounter them.

Personally, I agree that you should enforce laws strictly because if you bust the little things, less of the big things will occur. However, we live in reality and try doing that in certain neighborhoods with politics as it is and your entire department will be greatly scrutnized.

And, if you are a white officer being agressive with enforcement in a black neighborhood, watch the complaints roll in...what officer wants/needs that on their record. It may not be right but they are not fools and like most human beings, if it comes down to you or me, they are going to protect their own best interests to the best of their ability.

Some police enable at times and they shouldn't. But, they still are not the problem as most do enforce most of the laws most of the time - it is the criminal element, the lack of parenting, the lack of respect, the lack of personal responsibility and acountibility throughout our entire country that is causing so many of these problems.

Patty-P
Patty-P 05/17/11 - 04:33 am
asistis...I understand your

asistis...I understand your viewpoint. But when it comes to drugs and lives being taken, I don't think it is right or appropriate at any time to let it slide for fear of being scrutinized. If this is the case, start holding the apartments property owner at least partially liable for the disorder at the complex and take it from there.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 05/17/11 - 10:03 am
Is it Angelo or Antonio? I

Is it Angelo or Antonio? I keep hearing differing reports of his name.