Operation to catch speeders yields 49

The Richmond County Sheriff's Office, along with other agencies, blanketed Georgia Highway 56 Tuesday in an effort to cut down on speeding.

"We are listening to the public and their concerns," said Capt. Scott Gay of the sheriff's office.

The road has had four traffic fatalities this year. On April 20, Margot Helen Clark, Barney Joe McCombs and Thomas Heverly were killed when McCombs pulled out of Southern Glassine Drive into the path of a log truck.

Edward L. McCuller, 80, died Monday from injuries suffering during an April 26 crash. Authorities said McCuller turned left onto Horseshoe Road in front of an oncoming logging truck.

Tuesday's operation began around 7:30 a.m. and continued until 2 p.m. with officers covering the area from the Burke County line to U.S. Highway 25.

During that time, the sheriff's office, Georgia State Patrol and Motor Vehicle Compliance issued citations for speeding and other offenses, such as seat belt, child restraint, expired tag violations.

Officers issued 49 speeding citations, nearly half of which were issued between 7 and 9 a.m.

Gay said the highest speed recorded was 84 mph in a 55-mph zone around 9 a.m. The operation revealed that the average speed for the area from Tobacco Road to the county line is 65 mph.

Although tractor-trailers' speeds are a frequent source of complaints on Mike Padgett, Gay said the officers did not issue any speeding citations to tractor trailer drivers.

Gay said the operation was the first time the sheriff's office has covered the county's entire stretch of Georgia 56 in an operation. However, deputies intend to do such operations more frequently in an attempt to cut down on speeding along the road.

Chillen
Chillen 05/11/11 - 07:59 am
Looks to me like both deadly

Looks to me like both deadly accidents were NOT caused by drivers speeding. They were caused by someone pulling out in front of someone else - driver error.

Lower the speed limit to 45 if you really want to help. Put in a light or two at dangerous intersections to help slow people down and to help people pulling out onto the road.

The Richmond County Sheriff's Office made a tidy little profit on Tuesday. Even though speeding wasn't the reason for the fatalities.

Riverman1
Riverman1 05/11/11 - 08:01 am
"Although tractor trailers

"Although tractor trailers speeds are a frequent source of complaint in the area, Gay said the officers did not issue any citations to tractor trailer drivers due to excessive speed."

How did they explain that?

OhWell
OhWell 05/11/11 - 08:02 am
I am glad this is being done

I am glad this is being done and I think from the numbers presented above it is the drivers of personal vehicles breaking the law not the truck drivers that so often get blamed.

emergencyfan
emergencyfan 05/11/11 - 08:08 am
Riverman, 1. People are

Riverman,

1. People are exaggerating when they talk about the tractor trailers.

2. Tractor trailers drivers are warning each other about the enforcement on their CBs.

3. Tractor trailers draw more attention than speeding "4-wheelers" due to their size and are therefore complained about more.

truth_be_told
truth_be_told 05/11/11 - 08:09 am
Good job........Now how bout

Good job........Now how bout do a "blanket" on 56 between 5:00 am and 7:30 am when all the Vogtle people are JETTING to work!

commonsense09
commonsense09 05/11/11 - 08:11 am
I hope they plan to do the

I hope they plan to do the same while people are returning from work, say around 5-5:30 pm. That's when I've noticed the worst speeding, tailgaiting, and weaving in and out of traffic on GA 56. I'm more concerned about tailgating and the jockeying for position of some drivers than speeding alone, though that is still dangerous.

lovebugg
lovebugg 05/11/11 - 08:29 am
I live on 56 & yes the

I live on 56 & yes the speeding is horrible but its not just the "4 wheeled" vehicles!!!!! The 18 wheelers are just as much to blame!!! I had one almost hit me & my children the other day, so I followed him to get his tag number, trailer number etc... he was going over 90 miles an hour just past the dmv!!!! How did they not issue tickets to speeding 18 wheelers on Tuesday Ill never understand!!!! Bad thing is, when I called to report this driver NOTHING was done!!!!!! Yes the accidents were caused by idiotic decisions on the drivers part but there have been a few that were caused by the 18 wheelers because they (well most of them anyway) think "we are bigger, they have to move for us!!" If your going to do anything about it don't blame it on just certain vehicles!!! Sit on the side of the road or in a parking lot in an unmarked car & you will be amazed at what you see!!!!

daphne1622
daphne1622 05/11/11 - 08:46 am
I live off of Hwy 56 and the

I live off of Hwy 56 and the biggest problem that I see is people yielding out of their driveway and side streets. They never stop! They slow down and pull out in front of people. I see it everyday. People are in a hurry and don't want to take the time to stop. The police really need to enforce this problem.

InChristLove
InChristLove 05/11/11 - 08:47 am
Have to totally agree with

Have to totally agree with commonsense09. They need to park and patrol around 5:30pm - 6:30pm if they really want to rack up money in speeding fines.

It was publicly announced that they were going to start patrolling this area.....do you think word doesn't get around. The 18 wheelers have more to loose that the average joe going and coming from work. Average joe gets stopped, pays a fine, and goes on their merry way. Large commercial drivers get stopped, pays fine, looses job more than likely......yeah, word gets around. That's why they haven't witnessed many truckers speeding. Give it a couple of weeks when the fear factor dies down and you can rack up again.

csrareader
csrareader 05/11/11 - 09:04 am
"Although tractor trailers

There were no citations issued because these drivers use CB radios. They are not stupid -- they warn other drivers that law enforcement is enforcing the speed limit (which is a rare occurrence).

Suzy Q
Suzy Q 05/11/11 - 09:37 am
The tractor trailer drivers

The tractor trailer drivers aren't the worst ones out there. It's the logging (pulp wood, call it whatever you want) truck drivers that are insane! I saw more than one toppled over near the entrance to Federal Paper.... going too fast to make the right turn. I also saw one going too fast to stop at the RR tracks, blew thru the gate and hit the back end of some sort of service vehicle that was driving on the tracks. Thankfully the rail workers weren't hurt.... it could've been so much worse. Point is, the majority of them drive like the load is on fire and they're heading for the only water in the state. It's just nuts.

Oh, and only 84 mph? I used to drive that stretch regularly when we lived in Burke County. I would be doing 60 (speeding, I know) and people blew past me so hard I would look at my dashboard to make sure I wasn't going in reverse.

It's a horrible stretch of road, filled with inconsiderate, inattentive and outright awful drivers. Having driven it regularly, I don't think it's the tractor trailer drivers who are the worst of the lot. It's stupid people in little sports cars, stereos thumping, weaving in and out of traffic, riding up your rear and yakking on the phone the entire time. They scared me more than the big trucks EVER did.

Vito45
Vito45 05/11/11 - 09:47 am
As a couple of people have

As a couple of people have noted, it isn't speed that kills; it is the goofballs weaving in and out, cutting people off, not paying attention, etc. You could run 75 down that highway with no accidents if people just drove professionally and alertly. (just making a point, not condoning driving 75)

csrareader
csrareader 05/11/11 - 09:58 am
SuzyQ is right -- it

SuzyQ is right -- it absolutely is the logging trucks that are the biggest danger on that highway. The term tractor trailers is used synonymously to imply both classifications of big trucks.

csrareader
csrareader 05/11/11 - 10:01 am
Vito45, if everyone drove 55,

Vito45, if everyone drove 55, there would not be weaving in and out of traffic. It's the idiots who feel the need to drive over the speed limit that cause the problems.

Chillen
Chillen 05/11/11 - 10:13 am
All of these posts sound just

All of these posts sound just like Washington Road in Evans.

Distracted drivers texting or on the phone. Log trucks barreling down the highway. Excessive rates of speed. People weaving in & out of traffic. Drivers distracted by all the electronic equipment on their dashboard.

This could apply to pretty much any stretch of road these days. Inconsiderate drivers causing deadly & severe outcomes.

dani
dani 05/11/11 - 10:29 am
My worry is that the logging

My worry is that the logging trucks is not as well maintained (well, maybe, but I worry anyhow) and the fact that their loads don't appear to be properly restrained. If I have the misfortune to get behind them, I drop wa-aay back.
At the same time, I have respect for a vehicle that large and realize that it needs more time to slow than a car. I can't imagine being brave enough to pull out in front of one of them.

dani
dani 05/11/11 - 09:13 pm
I

I

corgimom
corgimom 05/11/11 - 11:21 am
"Lower the speed limit to 45

"Lower the speed limit to 45 if you really want to help."

It's not the ones who obey the speed limit that you have to worry about.

happychimer
19503
happychimer 05/11/11 - 12:12 pm
Washington Rd. can not

Washington Rd. can not compare with the wild drivers on 56.I know there are bad drivers all over, but I think 56 has them all beat.

Emerydan
Emerydan 05/11/11 - 12:40 pm
There is something inherently

There is something inherently dangerous about this road that cannot be reduced to simply distracted drivers. You have a mix of heavy industrial traffic, logging trucks, and small vehicles from residential areas. This stretch of Hwy 56 has numerous blind spots and in many cases it is very difficult to judge the distance of an oncoming vehicle. At the very least Hwy 56 needs a center turning lane.. that would at least give drivers a safe zone in which to make a left hand turn. Another fix would be to have wider shoulders with emergency lanes to allow drivers trying to enter the hwy room to merge. There also needs to be more lighted intersections and dedicated turn lanes. The design of this hwy is simply inadequate for the traffic using it in 2011. This stretch of Hwy 56 should have been upgraded 20 years ago. I believe similar problems existed on Washington Rd out past the govt complex and after design improvements were made, the number of deadly accidents have decreased. Why is it taking so long to improve Hwy 56? It's not like it is a minor rd.. it is a major rd handling a good chunk of Augusta's industrial traffic, not to mention one of the key corridors in South Richmond County.

gutdawg
gutdawg 05/11/11 - 12:42 pm
One of the issues that makes

One of the issues that makes Hwy. 56 unique as far as speed and accidents are concerned is the way the road is built and the hills in the area. It gives you the feeling that the road is "wide open" and the hills in the McBean/IP area make you go faster than you really want to. Bad stretch of road, glad I only go down it every year or so on the way to Savannah. If more tickets and patrolling are going to be in the future for this area, then this will slow people down. Easiest way to get someone to comply is thru their wallet.

joytotheworld
joytotheworld 05/11/11 - 12:43 pm
What about the turn or

What about the turn or "suicide" lane they were talking about? Won't this help?

Emerydan
Emerydan 05/11/11 - 12:47 pm
Isn't Hwy 56 supposed to be

Isn't Hwy 56 supposed to be part of the Savannah River Parkway? Maybe some thought should be given on making the stretch through richmond county completely limited access.. that would certainly cut down on the accidents.

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 05/11/11 - 12:47 pm
Obey the law and you have

Obey the law and you have nothing to complain about.

The Sheriff does not receive anythying from tickets issued.

MCG student, class buy kids' books for Ferguson library

Three weeks after the Missouri grand jury indictment verdict, Ashee Nicole Sharer created a Ferguson wish list on BarnesAndNoble.com, urging classmates to purchase a book for the Ferguson ...