Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Teen accused of stealing from blind Augusta Tech cashier

An Augusta teenager faces a felony charge after deputies say he cheated a blind cashier out of money.

Dave Singleton  Special
Special
Dave Singleton

A security officer at Augusta Technical College told a deputy that he witnessed the suspect, Dave Singleton, ask a blind cashier at the school for change for a $20 bill. The cashier gave him change, but Singleton, 17, of the 2400 block of Bristol Place Court, had only given  a $5 bill, according to a Richmond County Sheriff's Office report.

A felony warrant for violation of a Georgia law that protects the elderly and disabled was issued for Singleton's arrest, along with a charge of theft by deception. He was issued a $1,300 bond on the theft charge. No bond had been set on the felony violation of the law protecting the disabled.

WoodyKaminer
WoodyKaminer 04/14/11 - 08:42 pm
I am not in any way condoning

I am not in any way condoning what this thief did, but seriously, who hires a blind person to be a cashier??? Im not trying to be mean, but come on, thats like hiring a deaf person to be a DJ on the radio. Sometimes you need to use a little common sense. I am sure this blind person could be hired to answer phones or something...

sassylassie
sassylassie 04/14/11 - 08:58 pm
As I have stated in other

As I have stated in other posts....was in trouble in school. He has a pattern of these behaviors.
I would be SO proud if my kid cheated a blind person. That is pretty doggone low.

americafirst
americafirst 04/14/11 - 09:05 pm
Many times blind or disabled

Many times blind or disabled persons work in snack bars and the like in schools and in particularily courthouses. I see nothing wrong with that. A blind woman used to run a snack bar in a courthouse here in Augusta and whenever someone gave her anything other than a single dollar bill if she didn't know your voice she would ask someone else present to verify the amount of the bill. Anyway you have to be a pretty special low-life to cheat such a person

TrulyWorried
TrulyWorried 04/14/11 - 09:13 pm
Woody - you don't have much

Woody - you don't have much confidence in man - do you? If you read americafirst's comment - it says it all. This blind person is making a living and not waiting for a hand-out!!

TrulyWorried
TrulyWorried 04/14/11 - 09:18 pm
On second thought - why not

On second thought - why not humiliate these punks in some public place, in his case in front of Augusta Tech - with a huge sign that reads:
I CHEATED AND TRIED TO STEAL FROM A BLIND PERSON.
Make him walk the beat for a week - during school hours in daylight so people can read the sign. No sun glasses and cap to hide his identity.May do more good than sticking him in jail -

Einstein
Einstein 04/14/11 - 09:27 pm
Hey, guys.... Maybe Woody is

Hey, guys.... Maybe Woody is on to something here. Let's not discount his point of view just because it goes against our sensitive sense of justice and equality for the disabled. Realistically, it doesn't make any sense to put someone in a job that they are physically incapable of doing. If a person constantly requires that someone else check their work, it genuinely degrades the value of their work to such an extent that it really makes no sense to employ them in that role. A blind person could drive a bus if someone simply told them when to accelerate, brake, and turn, but that doesn't mean that it makes sense to donut simply for the sake of employing someone with a particular disability. Whomever hired a blind cashier HAS to have some accountability here as well.

Taylor B
Taylor B 04/14/11 - 09:30 pm
Good Lord, people just suck

Good Lord, people just suck nowadays...

Einstein
Einstein 04/14/11 - 09:34 pm
I like the sign idea..... How

I like the sign idea..... How about making the hiring manager hold a sign, i HIRED A BLIND PERSON TO BE A CASHIER AND A PUNK TRIED TO STEAL FROM THEM.

fatboyhog
fatboyhog 04/14/11 - 09:45 pm
Driving a bus and running a

Driving a bus and running a cash register are two vastly different things. Of course a blind person couldn't drive a bus. That would be asinine. But, if he is capable of doing the job as a cashier, what is the issue? Just because this guy is a slug for stealing from a blind person, doesn't mean that the blind should not have the same opportunity as the rest of us. There are aids that help them out. At least this person with a disability is working, instead of sitting on his rear end collecting a check from the government. A blind person has every right to work as long as they are able to do the job. If this fine young man wanted money bad enough, he'd rob a store to get it. Maybe no one should be a cashier, because cashiers are generally powerless to stop someone from robbing them. The fault lies 100% on this worthless scumbag who chose to take his chance on stealing from someone that HE thought he could get over on. I'm glad his gamble didn't pay off.

bclicious
bclicious 04/14/11 - 09:51 pm
Assuming that this guy has

Assuming that this guy has not established a pattern of criminal behavior, I would say that this is a perfect example of a case that should be handled through a pre-trial diversion program.

Waymore
Waymore 04/14/11 - 09:55 pm
I love how some of you

I love how some of you posting have no idea what you are talking about. Maybe you should investigate why a blind person is a cashier before making stupid comments. bclicious, I'm thinking that you have access to this persons past. Check it out. I think you'll find that he's no angel.

Einstein
Einstein 04/14/11 - 10:08 pm
Waymore, the cashier is blind

Waymore, the cashier is blind AND working.... This is enough to gain the unwaivering support from some folks, no matter why they are a cashier. Mention someone's disability and all rational thought and reason goes out the window..... Try to make a well-thought out case why this might not be the best idea, and you will be branded as ignorant and/or insensitive.

Suzy Q
Suzy Q 04/14/11 - 10:28 pm
For those of you that may not

For those of you that may not know, a wonderful lady named Sandy (who was most definitely blind) was the cashier in the Richmond County Courthouse snack shop for years in the 80's. I worked in the courthouse then, and never once heard of anyone trying to cheat her.

I have no patience with thieves, and even less who steal from the elderly or disabled. Here's hoping he loses those sticky fingers and develops a case of seriously slippery ones in the prison showers.....

sassylassie
sassylassie 04/14/11 - 10:34 pm
Waymore's post at 10:55 is

Waymore's post at 10:55 is right on. Dave has had difficulty in the past and I mean WAY back to early elementary school. He is not the one for a pre-trial diversion program. He is to the point where a reality check is badly needed. Anyone who steals from a blind person (and in this manner SO BOLDLY) has a problem. A big one.

sassylassie
sassylassie 04/14/11 - 10:36 pm
Suzy Q, Sandy at the

Suzy Q, Sandy at the courthouse was a wonderful person. Good point. Excellent example of another able individual who had much to offer and enjoyed working with the public. I thought of her as well when I saw this article.

CoastalDawg
CoastalDawg 04/14/11 - 10:42 pm
"I am not in any way

"I am not in any way condoning what this thief did, but seriously, who hires a blind person to be a cashier?" I just LOVE your blame the victim mentality. Apparently you don't visit snack bars in many public buildings because many of them are operated by blind people. Einstein, your post certainly doesn't give the name "Einstein" much credit - it is one of the most insensitive posts I've read recently. I certainly agree that there are SOME jobs that blind people can't do - drive a car, fly an airplane, read aloud to a class unless the book is in Braille, but they competently serve as the operators of snack bars in many places. I'm sure that they probably do get cheated from time to time, but I DO like the idea of this young thug being made to wear a sign in a prominent public place at the school where he was caught (thus, no ALLEGED) trying to steal from a blind man. If we can elect a man who had absolutely no public accomplishments, had no experience, had never seen the inside of a military uniform, and had never served out any term to which he had been elected - if we can make HIM president, then surely a blind person can operate a snack bar. My friend operates one and I always just ask if $5 or whatever bill I have will buy whatever I want to buy...

WoodyKaminer
WoodyKaminer 04/15/11 - 01:47 am
OK people, I was not in any

OK people, I was not in any way trying to discredit the blind persons ability to work. The point I was trying to make is that the cashier never saw the thief steal from him. It wasnt until a security guard noticed it and reported him that he was caught. So obviously, a blind person cant do everything that someone wih 20/20 vision can. I applaud the cashier for working, but think an employer could find a more suitable fit. Would any of you bashers want a blind person to be responsible for your paycheck? I think not. And I too saw Sandy in the courthouse for many years, and I thought she was awesome.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 04/15/11 - 03:52 am
Here's a stupid question...do

Here's a stupid question...do you think this guy felt badly about stealing from this blind cashier?? Yeah, I told you it was a stupid question.

InChristLove
InChristLove 04/15/11 - 05:17 am
Making a sign saying "I

Making a sign saying "I cheated a blind person" and having this jerk walk around campus isn't going to do any good (although good idea for someone else). This guy doesn't have any respect therefore it would not be an embarrassment to him. He'd probably get a big kick out of it and be waving to all his friends doing the funky dance as they drive by.

Waymore
Waymore 04/15/11 - 05:45 am
Woody, actually, the blind

Woody, actually, the blind employee caught the thief and reported him. He realized that he had been duped and called the police. You, of all people, should know that what the media reports isn't actually 100% gospel.

greygranny
greygranny 04/15/11 - 07:18 am
I applaud the blind person

I applaud the blind person for maintaining a job. The people that put him in this kind of position should be reprimanded. How did they think this would turn out?? He should have been placed in a job where no one could take advantage of the situation like this.

Einstein
Einstein 04/15/11 - 08:17 am
Greygranny, I agree

Greygranny,
I agree totally with your point; unfortunately, as I expected, there are those here that do not agree and seem to think that the ability to see isn't required in order to fulfill the basic functions required for a cashier's job. This has nothing to do with how "wonderful" the person is. Many disabled people are wonderful, but that doesn't mean that they are suitable for any job position. Mother Teresa was wonderful by anyone's definition, but she wouldn't make a good bar bouncer, and she had no disabilities that I know of. Am I insensitive? No, but I do have critical thinking skills and know that one shouldn't be placed in a role in which they are sure to fail.

seriousthinker1
seriousthinker1 04/15/11 - 08:31 am
This young man is still a

This young man is still a teenager and he should be treated like one. A felony conviction would ruin the rest of his life. That is way too heavy-handed for this juvenile crime. Community service sounds more appropriate. Anyone who didn't do something stupid when they were 17 years old please pat yourself on the back. I am NOT condoning his actions but the proposed penalty is way out-of-line. A felony for a $15 crime? Seriously? Does society need another black man who can't get a job because of a felony conviction. I think more thought needs to be given to this charge. It's ridiculous!!!

onlysane1left
onlysane1left 04/15/11 - 08:36 am
Seriousthinker, I understand

Seriousthinker, I understand your point, but, the lack morality of this crime is unquestionable. I look and see where youths of color are more harshly treated by society and their counterparts, but the fact is this young man, should have known better and the law was designed to protect hanicapped indivduals from predatority situation as this. I hope he is sorry he did it, I hope he learns a lesson from it, gets his life together and look at getting this bad decision moment expunged from his record so he can get a good job one day. In the meantime, reality is he SHOULD HAVE KNOWN AND DONE BETTER...

terminusmundi
terminusmundi 04/15/11 - 08:43 am
Only in Augusta can a blind

Waymore
Waymore 04/15/11 - 08:51 am
The young man ruined his life

The young man ruined his life long ago. HE, and HE alone, is responsible for the felony that he is tagged with. If you can't do the time, don't do the crime. It's high time that people realize that there are consequences for their actions. And oftentimes, those consequences aren't pleasant. I can't believe that seriousthinker classifies this as a "juvenile" crime. He is a thief, plain and simple. He saw someone that he thought he could take advantage of, and he did. He thought he'd get away with it. He didn't. Too bad. I have no sympathy for him. What you want to bet you'll read about him committing more crime in the future?

fatboyhog
fatboyhog 04/15/11 - 09:12 am
Seriousthinker1, there is a

Seriousthinker1, there is a huge difference between doing something stupid & committing a crime. I can pat myself on the back because I have never stolen anything. Done stupid stuff? Plenty. Stolen anything? Nope. Ever seen a handicapped individual and thought that I might try and take advantage of them? Nope! This young man committed a theft, and if he'd have gotten away with it, how many more times do you think he'd have done it again? How many people look at a blind person and think that it's ok to take advantage of them? It shows that he has a sick, demented mind. Who will he take advantage of next? I guess it's ok though, he's just a silly teenager, committing a harmless prank, right?

tuffenuf4u
tuffenuf4u 04/15/11 - 09:30 am
This qualifies for the most

This qualifies for the most severe punishment that can be meted out considering the circumstances. In all likelihood he will be sentenced as a first offender if he has no prior criminal record, but the crime is one of moral turpitude. If he has the gall to take advantage of someone who is handicapped, there is no telling what he will be capable of in the future. He needs psychiatric help.

Einstein
Einstein 04/15/11 - 09:53 am
"Only in Augusta can a blind

"Only in Augusta can a blind cashier be taken advantage of, and it's the cashier's fault."

I missed something I'm this thread apparently. Who said that this was the blind cashier's fault?!?!

Suzy Q
Suzy Q 04/15/11 - 10:57 am
seriousthinker....Calling for

seriousthinker....Calling for lesser punishment because of his age is ridiculous. He's not 12, and he's darned well old enough to know what he did was wrong. Not knowing he'd get slapped with a felony charge is just tough cookies. The law is what it is and he's old enough to be charged as an adult. He wasn't forced to steal, he CHOSE to steal.