11 arrested for scalping near golf club

Deputies said they'd make charges against those selling Masters badges illegally

At least 11 people were charged with scalping Masters tickets Tuesday, a day after Richmond County sheriff's officers warned that they would no longer be issuing warnings for illegal ticket sales within 2,700 feet of Augusta National Golf Club.

According to police, Robert Shelton Allen, 31; Robert Stephen Barry, 60; Anthony Charles Butrico, 46; Phillip Jay Dobbins, 43; Gerald Warren Killion, 69; Leeman Carter Leclair, 30; Robert Charles Lorence, 67; Jimmy Lee Newmy, 31; James Merall Oglesby, 58; Ronald Raymond Russo, 49; and Danny Tran, 28, were all booked into the Richmond County Jail under the charge of scalping tickets within 2,700 feet of Augusta National.

Bond has been set at $500 for each.

On Monday, a four-day set of competition badges was selling for $3,414 at StubHub.com. Last year, the same package sold for $1,000 less.

Those caught selling tickets within the 2,700-foot zone surrounding Augusta National could be subject to a fine as high as $750, authorities said.

Sellers can't get any closer to Augusta National than Sherwood Drive to the west, Calhoun Expressway to the east and Ingleside Drive to the south.

"Normally on the first day we warn a lot of people," sheriff's Col. Gary Powell said Monday.

Besides the legal consequences, the club prohibits resale of tickets, and anyone caught selling them runs the risk of having them permanently revoked.

linux
linux 04/05/11 - 10:32 am
Hmmm, I'm new in town, but it

Hmmm, I'm new in town, but it seems like the police enforcing a private enterprise business model is wrong. Do they go after craigslist and stubhub for reselling tickets for other sporting events?

grouse
grouse 04/05/11 - 10:57 am
The National has too much

The National has too much power. They certainly have the right to control their tickets, but not what goes on on public streets.

jaf2
jaf2 04/05/11 - 10:59 am
I'm pretty sure CraigsList

I'm pretty sure CraigsList and StubHub are more than 2700 ft away. But there's a difference in that licensed resellers are allowed to re-sell tickets. I still call it scalping either way but technically if you're not licensed you can't legally re-sell them anywhere, at least not for more than face value. I think the main objective from LE's perspective (other than a source of revenue) is to keep people away from the congested area standing around the gates and grounds looking to buy tickets. Can't say I blame them, because bigger crowds on the outside (with money) also draw Augusta's filthiest.

copperhead
copperhead 04/05/11 - 11:05 am
There is PLENTY of scalping

There is PLENTY of scalping in the area. A motel room that was $52 last week,is now $350. A sandwich that was $1.50 last week,is now $6. What is the difference?

justthefacts
22010
justthefacts 04/05/11 - 11:17 am
Hey grouse, it is a Ga state

Hey grouse, it is a Ga state law.

Common.sense
Common.sense 04/05/11 - 11:18 am
Copper that is price gouging,

Copper that is price gouging, not scalping.

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/05/11 - 11:35 am
Copperhead, I agree with your

Copperhead, I agree with your sentiment, but where have they jacked up the price of a sandwich?

rharris3237
rharris3237 04/05/11 - 11:43 am
What the National needs to do

What the National needs to do is start asking for an ID for all Badges and if they do not match up take down the person ID the Badge belongs to. Then take them off the Badge list and start opening up the availability for others to get on the Badge list. Everyone knows that the person that was on the Badge list in 1940 is not at the Masters anymore. If they are it is very few of them. That is what will stop the scalping and reselling of badges that other people can not get.

Farmboy
Farmboy 04/05/11 - 05:09 pm
I care about the Masters

I care about the Masters about as much as I care about a grain of sand on the bottom of the ocean.

follower 04/05/11 - 05:21 pm
Come on Farmboy. Whether you

Come on Farmboy. Whether you like golf or not, we all benefit from $100,000,000 being spent in our area. It's only a week dude, lighten up.

Sweet son
Sweet son 04/05/11 - 05:24 pm
I was wondering how much

I was wondering how much these guys were asking for the ticket. I believe that face value is $50.00. I signed up for next years lottery and if I get all that I asked for then I will buy a new car. LOL

Sweet son
Sweet son 04/05/11 - 05:25 pm
follower, he just can't get a

follower, he just can't get a ticket!

scoobynews
scoobynews 04/05/11 - 06:47 pm
All the murders going on in

All the murders going on in Augusta and they got cops trying to catch scalpers. I am sure all these men are very dangerous individuals. Give me a break! @ copper your right. A few years ago I went to Tbonz on Washington Rd during the Master's and they had a whole different menu. Supposedly to "streamline" ordering to speed it up by only offering certain food items. The prices were higher than the regular menu. Not sure they still do this but I no longer go there during Master's because of that.

Pu239
Pu239 04/05/11 - 07:03 pm
Let's talk.....Superbowl,

Let's talk.....Superbowl, World Series, Stanley Cup, Daytona, Mardi Gras, Saint Patty's in Savannah....none of those events feature inflated prices for lodging and food. (dripping sarcasm)

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 04/05/11 - 07:55 pm
Checking IDs won't ever work

Checking IDs won't ever work because there is no way to know if there was an illegal sale or not. There is probably as much sharing of badges as there is illegal or unlicensed resale of them.

corgimom
corgimom 04/05/11 - 08:12 pm
They aren't ever going to

They aren't ever going to stop it, too many rich and influential people in Augusta sell their badges every year.

OhWell
OhWell 04/05/11 - 08:19 pm
Cooperhead, I know it hurts

Cooperhead, I know it hurts the ones of us that have to watch a budget but increases in price for food and lodging during the Masters is how a lot of business stay afloat the rest of the year. As residents we can either get out of town or eat at home no one forces us to purchase any merchandise or services during this event. I am personally thankful for the amount of revenue the tournament brings to the entire CSRA.

snuffygerkins
snuffygerkins 04/05/11 - 10:06 pm
Motels do not inflate their

Motels do not inflate their prices for Masters week.....They DISCOUNT them the other 51 weeks of the year. That is how hotels everywhere avoid price gouging charges. Try getting a room in a town with a NASCAR event or any other major sporting event and see what I mean. Laws require hotels to post their rates in every room. What you see is the highest they will charge for any event. I too have seen new menus at local restaurants with inflated prices. That's why we NEVER go out to eat during Masters week. As for the ticket prices, the face value is $36 each. Many are selling on eBay and other venues for over $300 each. That is a much safer way to sell your tickets. I usually get four per year (been lucky) and give them away to some of my customers. What I get in return is far greater than a few hundred bucks over the face value. Now, just keep telling yourselves....only FIVE more days and they will all be gone!

dani
dani 04/05/11 - 10:54 pm
The wealthy members with

The wealthy members with badges use them for promotional purposes.
They wouldn't think of selling the badges when they can use them to keep their contacts happy.

dani
dani 04/06/11 - 09:14 am
If you notice, the tournament

If you notice, the tournament doesn't have you arrested for scalping, they only revoke the rights of the owner of the tickets.

The player renting the home of one of my family members gives them 2 badges and they know that reselling is not permitted.

JesusSavesAtCitiBank
JesusSavesAtCitiBank 04/06/11 - 01:02 am
I'm am SO glad Richmond

I'm am SO glad Richmond county got these AWFUL criminals off the streets! I will sleep so much easier tonight! Whew...just whew!

imokb1
imokb1 04/06/11 - 07:02 am
Scalping? Takes me back to my

Scalping? Takes me back to my teenage years in the early 60's. We simply jumped the fence near a maintenance storage area...came out of the woods near the 13th green...got caught by a Sheriff's Deputy. He had sympathy for us and allowed us to stay with him at his post at the 13th until we left. Where are the kind-hearted cops today?

WW1949
WW1949 04/06/11 - 08:22 am
When I was 16-17 we used to

When I was 16-17 we used to drive our cars back to the parking lot at the 9th hole of Augsuta Country Club and walk across the water pipe that crosses Rays Creek and go in thru a big hole in the fence. Went to 16 and never moved and never got caught. The road to the 9th tee was dirt and you entered off Overton Road. I believe that road is now closed except for maintance crews. There were barrels of blue dye by the creek used to dye the pond at 16. Same time as you imoke

IMissCA
IMissCA 04/06/11 - 08:47 am
My boyfriend was one of these

My boyfriend was one of these people and he was buying a ticket for face value. Then an undercover cop grabs him and the guy who sold it to him and cuffs them together. Wow, a bit much I'd say. Between the paperwork, gas to transport them and payroll hours all this is gonna take, I'd say issuing a fine or ticket would make a lot more sense. Also, since they "warned" so many people on Monday, they should post some kind of signs. Cause both my boyfriend and the other guy didn't know why they were being arrested! Being "booked" while in your golf attire is just silly. Sorry we aren't all rich and can't pay $400 for practice round tickets on StubHub!

imokb1
imokb1 04/06/11 - 08:55 am
WW1949...the suspense of

WW1949...the suspense of getting caught by the deputies was exceeded only by the anxiety of our group of golfing nuts getting punished for cutting school! ONE car load of degenerates wasting a school day on some silly game of "golf"....LOL. OBTW...no one ever turned us in to the principal.

dani
dani 04/06/11 - 09:13 am
Those were they days, my

Those were they days, my friend....

corgimom
corgimom 04/06/11 - 09:38 am
Rich people don't sell

Rich people don't sell badges. Ok. The Easter Bunny is coming soon, too.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 04/06/11 - 09:43 am
"I've got two tickets to

"I've got two tickets to paradise here, 401 Walton Way! I got TWO here...come on and take TWO!"

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/06/11 - 10:02 am
Brad, it must be past 5

Brad, it must be past 5 o'clock over there.

lieutenantkitten
lieutenantkitten 04/06/11 - 04:23 pm
Monday-Tuesday, $50.00

Monday-Tuesday, $50.00 Wednesday-On it is $75.

Group demands hearing on commissioner appointment

City leaders appeared to warm to a request Monday by the West Augusta Alliance to hold one or more public hearings before appointing an interim District 7 commissioner to serve until Donnie ...