Cases involving doctor reopened

As far back as 2005, concerned parents have been warning authorities that something was not right with psychologist Kenneth McPherson.

McPherson
McPherson

One mother went to the Department of Family and Children Services after her 4-year-old son said McPherson had made him change into his "jungle underwear" and then kissed him on the cheek during a session. Another mother went to police after her son flashed her. When she asked why he had done this, the boy said, "That's what we do at Dr. Ken's office."

These allegations are contained in a search warrant filed after investigators seized computers, USB drives, photos of nude men and women and other items from McPherson's office at 2160 Central Ave. last week. McPherson, whose patients are primarily children, was arrested on charges that he showed his penis and a book with pictures of nude children to an 8-year-old, borderline autistic male patient. That allegation was made earlier this year.

In light of his arrest, authorities are revisiting the 2005 allegations -- both of which never resulted in charges.

In an e-mail Thursday, District Attorney Ashley Wright said her office possesses a closed file on McPherson that includes the allegations by the two victims from 2005. Charges were never brought because of a lack of evidence, she confirmed.

"Because we are reviewing the file in light of new evidence, I prefer not to give any specifics about what occurred," Wright said.

Sheriff's Maj. Ken Autry, who oversees the department's Criminal Investigations Division, said he recalled evidence being an issue with at least one of the allegations made in 2005.

"This case came up a couple of times I was told about," Autry said. "One was sent to the DA and there just wasn't enough there."

This week, authorities added a charge against McPherson, bringing the total to three counts of child molestation. He had been granted a $35,000 bond by Senior Judge William M. Fleming Jr. on March 18 but remains in jail after being denied bond on the new charges, Assistant District Attorney Natalie Paine said.

According to an incident report filed last week, a mother whose children have been treated by McPherson asked each of them whether he had touched them inappropriately. Her 9-year-old son said yes, and the mother alleges the boy was touched many times over two years. The details of the third charge were not immediately available.

At a hearing on the new charges Wednesday, Judge Michael Annis denied bond, saying the victims were the most vulnerable members of the community.

"He never left jail," Paine said.

McPherson received his license to practice psychology in 1990. A check Thursday showed it was still active.

Matt Carrothers, of the Georgia secretary of state's office, said his office cannot legally say whether a complaint has been filed against McPherson, or whether an investigation by the office is under way.

uscbelle
uscbelle 03/25/11 - 10:02 am
My child was tested and seen

My child was tested and seen by Dr. McPherson 2 times that was it. During the testing I was told I could not go into the observation room because I had my other child with me.

The "video monitoring" is a joke. It is a baby monitor with a grainy picture and so much static you cannot hear the conversation between Dr. McPherson and the patient. Dr. McPherson was unprofessional with my husband and myself. When we decided to discontinue therapy after one session, we were told we were damaging our child by not continuing with him, he continued to bill our insurance claiming it was missed appointments even though we had told him and his receptionist we did not think he was the correct therapist for us. I feel badly for the parents that were trying to get much needed help for their children only to have their children mistreated by someone they should have been able to trust. Makes me sick.

uscbelle
uscbelle 03/25/11 - 10:08 am
And Dr. McPherson specialized

And Dr. McPherson specialized in children with Autism and Asperger's. Most of his patients were not "troubled" youth. Parents go to him to help their children learn social cues and to help with bonding. If this is true he preyed on some of society's most vulnerable members.

soldout
soldout 03/25/11 - 10:33 am
I would try NAET and EFT on a

I would try NAET and EFT on a child with problems as my first choice.

3mom
3mom 03/25/11 - 10:35 am
McPherson does have a mirror

McPherson does have a mirror in the upstairs room. However, the room that is adjoining with all of the dress up clothes in it can not be seen. There are other rooms upstairs that are used and they do not have mirrors. That is when parents can view through the pathetic baby monitor. However, the way the video camera is set up you can not see the whole room. Also, if they go from one room to another you can not view that either. When the sessions would come to an end, you were told to go back downstairs so the child would not see you leaving the other room. This would leave the child alone again.

Until you have a child with a disorder as such, do not condemn the parents for trying to do what they think is best for their child and putting their trust in getting help from someone who specializes in that disorder. It is a learning process for the parents and the child.

happychimer
happychimer 03/25/11 - 11:12 am
RCSD has investigators who

RCSD has investigators who are trained to question children.They can tell when a child is telling the truth.

stillamazed
stillamazed 03/25/11 - 02:02 pm
Lysanderspooner, it sounds

Lysanderspooner, it sounds like this is very personal to you......sure kids lie sometimes especially if they think they are pleasing their parents but accusations of this type have to be investigated because although children do sometimes lie, there are plenty of child molesters and sickos out there who do take advantage of children and who scare them into not telling. I will agree that people do often jump the gun when it comes to blame and that is what we have courts for and yes they are even sometimes flawed but it is the best we have so we have to live with it. It does seem though that with complaints all the way back to 2005 and now new complaints that there may be something there but again the law and the courts will decide.

CharlesB
CharlesB 03/25/11 - 08:43 pm
Wait...a 'warning' was given

Wait...a 'warning' was given by Sean about attacking and Sir Austin Rhodes delivers one anyway and nothing happens?

Anyway...Sean, I would like to have a print subscription for the 3 day weekend when I am home. Would that allow me to get the discounted online rate of 2.95 a month? I don't know of another forum to find this out.

And Austin, I am just jabbing ya bud....

alsteve
alsteve 03/25/11 - 11:08 pm
I am just sick, I am just so

I am just sick, I am just so grateful that I pulled my kids when I felt his behavior was inappropriate.

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 03/25/11 - 11:31 pm
CharlesB, I had to remove

CharlesB, I had to remove several comments that I felt were placing a measure of blame for this on the children's family members. That is just not allowed as long as I am in charge of comment moderation. I don't think Austin's comment did that.
As for your other question, yes a weekend subscription will make you eligible for the reduced online rate. Come on aboard; we're happy to have you.

toenail
toenail 03/25/11 - 11:40 pm
Sounds almost exactly like

Sounds almost exactly like Dr. Robert Bruce Craft of Augusta, Ga., the child psychologist and amateur photographer, who was the psychologist working for DFACS back in the mid 90's. He still remains in prison as far as I know.