Worker, 19, killed in party shooting

A 16th birthday party for one of James Brown's grandchildren ended tragically Saturday in the shooting death of an employee of the Columbia County facility where the party was held.

James S. Gillette Jr., 19, of Kensington Drive in Augusta, was pronounced dead at 12:45 a.m. at Medical College of Georgia Hospital, where he was taken after being shot at Belair Conference Center, Columbia County Chief Deputy Coroner Bonnie Holloway said.

Gillette had worked at the private facility off Jimmie Dyess Parkway for about two months, Columbia County sheriff's Capt. Steve Morris said.

The shooting took place after fighting broke out, Morris said. About 200 to 300 people were in attendance, and there was no known security, he said.

Patrons had been asked to leave because of the fighting but were being allowed back inside when shots were fired, Morris said. One of them hit Gillette, who collapsed just outside the building's front door, he said.

Morris did not know what the victim was doing at the time he was shot or whether he was the intended target.

Deanna Brown, a daughter of the soul singer, confirmed Sunday that the party was being held for her niece. Brown said she did not attend the event and had no other information.

After the shooting, several people were seen leaving in two vehicles, both of which were riding on at least one "donut" spare tire, Morris said. Authorities have a partial ID on one of the suspects, a black male known as "DQ," but had made no arrests as of 9 p.m. Sunday.

The suspects' vehicles were a blue or dark gray minivan with spares on both rear tires and a silver-colored Toyota or Chevrolet Impala with a spare on a rear tire, Morris said. The sedan also had a broken passenger window covered with plastic, he said.

Gillette suffered a gunshot wound to the abdomen, and his body was taken to the Georgia Bureau of Investigation Crime Lab for an autopsy, according to Holloway.

storiesihaveread
storiesihaveread 03/21/11 - 09:29 am
This is sad in every way you

This is sad in every way you look at it. Does not matter what part of "Augusta" the place is at. What does matter is that a young person lost there life. After some low life took it!! Enough said prayers to the family at this time of need!

blakkone
blakkone 03/21/11 - 09:42 am
Knightryder...I really do not

Knightryder...I really do not like the tone of your comments. I can't help but detect some racial tension in it. I cant believe the AC let that get through.

blakkone
blakkone 03/21/11 - 10:00 am
UPDATE...knightryder's

UPDATE...knightryder's comments have been removed. Thank you, AC.

killaran
killaran 03/21/11 - 10:46 am
As a DJ I've seen this same

As a DJ I've seen this same situation over and over again. Some parent rents a building with no security, no supervision, no guest list, and don't hire an off duty officer to be present at a teen party....a teen party!!!! Look im not saying its not ok to have a party but when you have hundreds of young kids together in one place expect problems. This is why I don't do teen events anymore. Not enough security....well I can only speak for others, me I have my own security if you know what I mean. Augusta is to small for someone not to know what happend at that party. It's not like its Detroit or something. Hope they find the killer. They might stand a chance if the snitch talks. You know how it is. Anyway, about the Detroit comment for those who may be offended... I'm from Detroit. Westside all day. Prayers go out to the family of that young man who was only doing the right thing by working a job and trying better himself. Peace ya'll please.

redked13
redked13 03/21/11 - 10:57 am
When I got married in

When I got married in Nashville the public venue we used for our reception required us to pay for security (1 off-duty officer for every 100 people). So for this party there should have been at least 3 officers/sheriffs there. So, why is that not the policy here? If they are charging a cover charge that means they don't know the people in attendance, I would think that policy should read 1 off-duty officer for every 50 people.
and our prayers for the family of the man killed, as well.

aubaug
aubaug 03/21/11 - 11:13 am
God Bless You, Mrs. Gillette.

God Bless You, Mrs. Gillette. May your son rest in peace and I pray that soon you may be relieved of this agonizing pain of your loss.

iLove
iLove 03/21/11 - 11:32 am
Even when you rent a small

Even when you rent a small recreation center in Augusta, you have to have one officer for every 100 people, a fire marshal, and sometimes a paramedic.

Why would the Bel-Air Conference Center allow parties without making sure all precautions are taken first? Especially where there are hundreds of teens???

Prayers to the mother. My God. These teens who think they are "hard" need to be shown what "hard" feels like. I can't wait for them to be caught. . .this is Augusta, they will be caught.

Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!
The adults who threw the party and the conference center. What were they thinking?

Mr. Brown's legacy means so much more to some people in Augusta, yet, his family seems to not even care about all he stood for. Shame on you guys.

If I were the mother, their def. would be a lawsuit involved soon.

iLove
iLove 03/21/11 - 11:38 am
Thanks for removing those

Thanks for removing those hate-filled comments, you know, the ones we seem to get o so often here on AC.com. . . . coming from one direction.

I can understand the poster's anger and frustration, though.

killaran
killaran 03/21/11 - 11:47 am
Come to think of it just a

Come to think of it just a few months ago my company had an christmas party at Bel-Air Conference Center and they had 2 officers there the whole night. So why not at a teen party. Hmmmn Just doesn't make sense. I think there is more to this story than we know.

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 03/21/11 - 12:13 pm
It's not REQUIRED to have

It's not REQUIRED to have security unless alcohol is being served/sold. As this was a teen party there was no plans to serve alcohol (legally anyway). I agree they should have had security but there was no law requiring it, only common sense. Anyone can hire security for a function there but not everyone is required to do so.

I C U 2
I C U 2 03/21/11 - 12:24 pm
Time to ban "parties" I

Time to ban "parties" I reckon.

myparrot
myparrot 03/21/11 - 01:49 pm
Whether it is in Richmond or

Whether it is in Richmond or Columbia cty matters little, a young man has lost his life. There is nothing worse than losing a child. We lost ours a little over a month ago. We send our prays to the familyand hope they find the person responsible. We are still waiting for closure.

Einstein
Einstein 03/21/11 - 01:57 pm
It may not have been REQUIRED

It may not have been REQUIRED to have security there, but my guess is that it will make little difference if this results in a civil case on the wrongful death of a 19 year old boy..... Just sayin'

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 03/21/11 - 02:48 pm
AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 03/21/11 - 02:50 pm
Any chance these two

Any chance these two incidents are related? Note the chevy impala mentioned in both... http://chronicle.augusta.com/latest-news/2011-03-21/1-shot-after-party-c...

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 03/21/11 - 02:52 pm
Oh, sorry staff, didn't see

Oh, sorry staff, didn't see your note, I've been having trouble with my computer all day and thought it was just acting up again. If it's too much info for the situation right now, I understand, it won't bother me if you have to delete it for the sake of law enforcements' needs.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 03/21/11 - 02:59 pm
I'm not sure why my comment

I'm not sure why my comment before 3:52pm was not allowed to post (it was not removed, it never posted), it was just a link to another article in this paper that might be relevant. I won't get more specific, I'm guessing if my observation was relevant, the people that need to know, already do by now.

elvis
elvis 03/21/11 - 03:27 pm
iLove, ‘Mr. Brown's legacy

iLove, ‘Mr. Brown's legacy means so much more to some people in Augusta, yet, his family seems to not even care about all he stood for.’
I met Mr. Brown on a flight from AGS to ATL and liked him & some of his music. But I believed you are trying to whitewash his legacy. I do believe he & his wives were involved several times with the police.

corgimom
corgimom 03/21/11 - 04:10 pm
James Brown- "I'm just a

James Brown- "I'm just a prisoner of LUUUUVVVVVV"

Crime Reports and Rewards TV
Crime Reports and Rewards TV 03/21/11 - 07:36 pm
Could one or two security

Could one or two security keep 8 to 12 gangsters from opening fire? I don't think so. Security die with guns in their hands all the time. There is no defense against gangs except a good OFFENCE. Only a small amount of the gangsters are even known in the CSRA. At last count Scott Peeples estimated we had about 45 gangs in the CSRA. I’ve heard others say we have about 125. I think we have about 60-70 gangs that have guns and will use them. We have to get them or they WILL continue getting U.S.

Austindaviskmhs
Austindaviskmhs 03/21/11 - 08:03 pm
Jamie was my cousin and he

Jamie was my cousin and he was a caring human being. He was a hero for tryin to hold the door for those people and im glad to see everyone commenting on this story cause all of this senseless killing needs to stop because all it has done is tear my family apart

legalhound
legalhound 03/21/11 - 09:36 pm
Well what a surprise, the

Well what a surprise, the thug culture at work again.

iLove
iLove 03/22/11 - 07:44 am
elvis, I understand. Yes he

elvis, I understand. Yes he has a criminal background.

Have you ever sat down and had a conversation with Mr. Brown? I have, on many occassions.

MajorFlyingmonkies
MajorFlyingmonkies 03/28/11 - 01:45 pm
The most important result of

The most important result of this tragic event is that a young man was "robbed" of his precious life. He was trying to help others and in turn he was mortally wounded. I don't believe this type of event should have been allowed to take place without the proper provisions in place; invitation only, adult supervision, and private or not, security for the safety of all involved per any establishment that is hosting an event. A 16 year old birthday party is involving children. Someone or bodies put children's lives at risk. The young man that died was not even 21. I don't understand how an establishment would have allowed an event of this size, involving children to go unsupervised. This is a gross negligence on someone's part. I hope in the future that revisions will take place so that this will not happen again and strike another family.

New SafeHomes facility breaks ground

SafeHomes of Augusta broke ground Thursday on a larger facility that will allow the nonprofit agency to house more than twice the number of clients than its current shelter can hold.