Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Death of 9-week-old is under investigation

Authorities are investigating what led to the death of a 9-week-old baby Monday.

Annie Hyman  Special
Special
Annie Hyman

According to Richmond Coun­ty sheriff's Lt. Calvin Chew, deputies arrived at the infant's home in the 500 block of Wrights Avenue to find the infant, Gabrial Drew, and her 3-year-old sibling had been living in unfit conditions. The home has roaches, dog feces and urine, and moldy food, Chew said. The report indicated there was also a bucket of human feces.

The children's mother, Annie R. Hyman, 22, was arrested Tuesday and charged with two counts of deprivation of a minor. Bond has been set at $25,000.

Autopsy results on Gabrial were inconclusive, according to Richmond County Coroner Grover Tuten, and toxicology and histology results are pending.

wlightnin42
wlightnin42 03/18/11 - 10:53 am
Trash, some people should

Trash, some people should never be allowed to reproduce.

kmb413
kmb413 03/18/11 - 11:48 am
Can't really say what I want

Can't really say what I want to say.

tiredofsrryppl
tiredofsrryppl 03/18/11 - 12:06 pm
When we look at this and

When we look at this and everything else that is going on in our world it is telling us that this is no time to be sitting on the fence. The time to take a stand in what you believe in is long overdo peolpe. God has this infant now and he will know peace.

lovebugg
lovebugg 03/18/11 - 12:16 pm
Really!!!!! 25000 bond & that

Really!!!!! 25000 bond & that was it??? This woman let her children live in filth & they let her out!!!!! Its not hard 2 CLEAN!!!!!!!!! She should not b allowed 2 have her other child back...let him go 2 a home that is clean & worth growing up n!!!!!!!!

turncoat
turncoat 03/18/11 - 12:41 pm
Any negative comments

Any negative comments directed towards "mommy dearest" should also include the judge who set bond so low and the D.A. who could only find charges of "Deprivation of a minor". You could file that charge agaisnt ANY parent who allows a child to live in conditions of squalor, so the DEATH of the baby apparently carries little or no weight.

Maybe her lawyer convinced the legal profession that this was a RETROACTIVE abortion.

After all, the child was only nine weeks old. Not much time for real bonding.

laprince
laprince 03/18/11 - 12:41 pm
How do you get BOND for

How do you get BOND for MURDER.

laprince
laprince 03/18/11 - 12:43 pm
The DA's and judges focuses

The DA's and judges focuses are on Burgalary! They are denied bond these days. NOT MURDER.

Gunner71
Gunner71 03/18/11 - 01:49 pm
she looks like mother of the

she looks like mother of the year...there must be a mistake.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 03/18/11 - 02:34 pm
Wait a minute...the article

Wait a minute...the article says that the bond was set for $25,000, but it didn't say that she made bond and is now out. I doubt seriously that she has anything worth that much...and chances are none of her family has it either or they wouldn't chance it on her.

corgimom
corgimom 03/18/11 - 04:42 pm
They have to wait for the

They have to wait for the autopsy to determine the baby's cause of death before they know what charges to file.

fred1217
fred1217 03/18/11 - 06:33 pm
I hope this isn't the same

I hope this isn't the same Judge that denied bond for the mother that "bumped" her son with her SUV recently at Butler High School. Whoever came up with the quote "Justice is Blind" obviously never made it to Augusta-Richmond County. Does anybody know whether the lady in the Butler incident is still in jail???

tcowan13
tcowan13 03/18/11 - 09:01 pm
Regardless Of Any And All

Regardless Of Any And All Negative Statements,This Is Indeed A Truly Sad And Horrible Thing That Has Happened.I Wish That I Would Have Been Able To Have Known About This Situation.I Also Wish That I,As A Human Being,Would Have Been Able To Prevent This From Happening.We Are All Gods Children And We Should Always Try To Help Each Other Out.I Do Not Know If Anyone Knew What Was Going On,But This Woman Should Have Been Helped.I Do Not Know If She Asked For Help, But I,As A Father And A Human,Being Feel Pretty Bad That This Has Happened.I Do Not Know If This Young Lady Has Family In This Area.I Am Very Saddened That This Young ladies Family,if She Had Any Family Nearby,Did Not Help Her Out.

recoveringaddict
recoveringaddict 03/18/11 - 09:43 pm
This saddens me to pieces.

This saddens me to pieces. Poor babies. This really hits me close to home. My granddaughter, who is now two and a half was living exactly like this until a year ago. She is so blessed to be alive and I am blessed to have her in my life today. Her mother tried to drown her in the bathtub. She never put a diaper on her and let her urinate and poop on the floor and then placed her food in front of her on the same floor for her to eat; not on a plate, directly on the floor. She was kept in a dark bedroom all day and never interacted with people. Thank God she is in the custody of my nephew and niece, and no longer sees her mother. God spared her life and she has come so far. She's so happy today. Why can't these mothers realize what a precious gift their babies are? If you don't want your baby let someone who will love her/him adopt her/him. Please don't hurt these angels. How can a mother kill her child?!

Cadence
Cadence 03/19/11 - 09:11 am
It makes you wonder. If you

It makes you wonder. If you go to the MCG children's floors or to St. Jude's Children's Hospital or any other, you will see children fighting for their lives and parents fighting right with them. What takes that determination to protect one's child at all costs and just makes it go away? Is it drugs? Mental illness? A spiritual problem. It's sad.

corgimom
corgimom 03/19/11 - 10:58 am
"Is it drugs? Mental

"Is it drugs? Mental illness?" Sometimes.

And sometimes a mother just really, really, really doesn't want a child.

And sometimes it's just plain evil.

It's too late for the baby, but at least the 3 year old was rescued.

Evermore1971
Evermore1971 03/19/11 - 11:07 am
If you really want to be

If you really want to be outraged then you all should know that the 3 year old had been taken away from her and was given back. And that the Richmond County Department of Children's Services had been called, not once, not twice, not three times....but 15 times about the conditions listed here. Now you can be outraged.....the system failed these children.

Evermore1971
Evermore1971 03/19/11 - 11:58 am
And to answer the tcowen13.

And to answer the tcowen13. Her family tried to help her. She turned her back on them and chose this way of life.

dani
dani 03/19/11 - 12:35 pm
How did she get the bond

How did she get the bond posted?

sassylassie
sassylassie 03/19/11 - 10:31 pm
Sorry excuse for a mother.

Sorry excuse for a mother. And if what Evermore 1971 says is true about DFACS, an investigation should be done NOW and those individuals who put those children BACK in that filthy house should be held responsible. Disgusting on MANY levels. And how many loving families in this town would give anything to have two beautiful children such as these? LOCK HER UP. SOme people should not be allowed to take the children home from the hospital after they're born--DFACS should have investigated the home before the baby EVER went there, knowing the history!

sugarbutton
sugarbutton 03/20/11 - 06:30 am
recovering addict, my husband

recovering addict, my husband and I too are blessed with a child that got a 3 mos and he's almost 3 yrs. He's safe and loved and although you can tell I have a small child inthe house, there are no bugs, feces etc...now if you count toys, books and always laundry and dishes to do that's a different story. We're guiltly of having too much stuff but filth isn't part of it. Bless these babies who have someone to go to who will give them all the love they can.