Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Third Monterrey's employee arrested

Since last week, 4 arrested, 3 others issued warrants

Another employee of a Martinez Mexican restaurant was arrested Thursday in connection with dozens of stolen televisions and computers being sold from the business.

Back | Next
Lopez  Special
Special
Lopez

Toribio "Evo" Marquez, the manager of Monterrey's restaurant at 4018 Washington Road, is charged with theft by receiving stolen property.

During a search of the restaurant last week, authorities recovered nearly two dozen flat-screen televisions and about a dozen laptop computers stolen from homes in Columbia, Richmond and Jefferson counties.

After the search, Monterrey's employees Daniel Arroyo Lopez, 27, of the 2300 block of Springhouse Lane in Augusta, and Abel Martinez-Martinez, 27, of the 600 block of South Old Belair Road in Grovetown, were charged with theft by receiving stolen property. Deniro Mkeal Wilson, 18, of the 2600 block of Overlook Drive in Augusta, was charged with burglary.

All three men are being held in the Columbia County Detention Center without bond, according to jailers.

Marquez, 34, of the 600 block of Devon Road in Grovetown, posted a $2,600 bond Thursday night, said Columbia County sheriff's Capt. Steve Morris.

Police issued warrants for three more Augusta men they say are connected to the thefts. They are Darren Moore, 23, of the 2700 block of Lambert Court; Gerald Moore, 20, of the 3600 block of Rome Way; and Ronnie Boozer, 17, of the 2500 block of Waterfront Drive.

They are in the Jefferson County jail, Morris said.

Though the investigation continues, Morris said 19 burglary cases have been solved in the three counties because of the arrests.

Sweet son
Sweet son 03/04/11 - 05:58 pm
CCSO, make sure you check all

CCSO, make sure you check all of the employees for status. Deportation sounds better than jail. Less expensive to the tax payer.

tuffenuf4u
tuffenuf4u 03/04/11 - 06:05 pm
Would you like a 55" Motorola

Would you like a 55" Motorola with your taco?

Longtime CSRA resident
Longtime CSRA resident 03/04/11 - 06:32 pm
I would like a Speedy

I would like a Speedy Gonzalez and an order of Toshiba dip, oops I mean cheese dip.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 03/04/11 - 06:38 pm
Hey, wait a minute! I'm

Hey, wait a minute! I'm wondering if these guys were framed! Did you take notice that this story broke on the SAME EXACT DAY that today's Augusta Chronicle "Daily Deal" is for SENOR TACO??? Is that just a coincidence or was it a planned strategy by the senor?? Yeah..I mean, where you gonna go eat Mexican if you don't want to patronize Monterrey's?? Yeah, you got it.....

TCB22
TCB22 03/04/11 - 06:44 pm
Sweet son says, "CCSO, make

Sweet son says, "CCSO, make sure you check all of the employees for status." Really?? We had not thought of that, Sweet son! Can you give us anymore your sagacious advice? Ever think of running for office?

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/04/11 - 07:46 pm
TCB22, can you check the

TCB22, can you check the immigration status of those arrested or those you believe may not be legal? It seems like everytime I've brought up this subject someone says you can't and quotes some federal law.

MolonLabe
MolonLabe 03/04/11 - 08:57 pm
Too bad that they didn't

Too bad that they didn't break into the home of a LEGALLY ARMED American citizen who could have taken care of the situation with a $.40 9mm round. We hardworking, taxpaying citizens are sick and tired of low-life's who feel they are entitled to just take what we have worked so hard for. It's bad enough that the gub'ment steals so much of our paycheck to give to non-workers already, we have to fight to defend what we have left afterward. Americans, be armed....be LEGAL....be trained.....be alive! Wake up America!

peaches63
peaches63 03/04/11 - 10:57 pm
You can always go to Mi

You can always go to Mi Rancho!!! Better than Monterrey's in my opinion.

Martinez
Martinez 03/05/11 - 06:31 am
Vera Cruz is also an option.

Vera Cruz is also an option. I prefer their food but Monteray's is closer to work so I frequent this one about once a month at lunch time. It seems like they have hired a bad group of folks in recent months as their level of service has grossly decreased. In addition, I can't stand restaurants that won't let you pay your bill with your waiter at the table. This particular Monterays requires that you pay your bill at the door, which is usually backed up between people coming in and people waiting to pay. It makes me wonder now, did management have some idea this was going on already and simply not trust it's own employees to handle customer money and credit cards? Lopez & Martinez have been there a while but I have never seen the other three - - they might work back end in the kitchen or something.

Runner46
Runner46 03/05/11 - 07:58 am
And is this restaurant still

And is this restaurant still in opperation? Does this restaurant stil have a business license?

bettyboop
bettyboop 03/05/11 - 08:55 am
deport...........

deport...........

curly123053
curly123053 03/05/11 - 09:36 am
I will just keep my business

I will just keep my business at Mi Ranchos in Whiskey Rd.

belle
belle 03/05/11 - 09:37 am
The thing that surprises me

The thing that surprises me is that I have NEVER seen less than three police officers either working or dining at this restaurant each time I have been there. And Martinez....the other three are the burglars, not the fence men.

stewartist
stewartist 03/05/11 - 10:29 am
Yes, I would like a "MacPro"

Yes, I would like a "MacPro" Taco and a "Samsung" chalupa to go.

daphne3520
daphne3520 03/05/11 - 10:46 am
You people posting racist

You people posting racist comments should be banned!

airbud7
airbud7 03/05/11 - 10:58 am
Pablano's on Evans Town

Pablano's on Evans Town Center Blvd is the Best!!!

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/05/11 - 11:00 am
Just wondering how daphnne

Just wondering how daphnne would feel if she goes home one day & her big screen tv & laptop were missing??

fatboyhog
1948
fatboyhog 03/05/11 - 11:27 am
Racist comments? Where?

Racist comments? Where?

ricker9
ricker9 03/05/11 - 12:29 pm
I'm pretty sure Poblano's and

I'm pretty sure Poblano's and Monterey are owned by the same person!! But I don't see where the owner was involved in the thefts.

Mk Ultra
Mk Ultra 03/05/11 - 03:07 pm
Um you people are awful.

Um you people are awful. Just become someone is Mexican/Latino or has skin that's a little darker than yours doesn't mean they are all illegal citizens. You people say you get tired of the racism card but look at how you talk and just assume things about people because they're Mexican or black...ridiculous!

KSL
KSL 03/05/11 - 07:08 pm
Well since the number of

Well since the number of illegals in the US is probably around 20 mil and climbing, there is some chance that some of them are.

Mk Ultra
Mk Ultra 03/05/11 - 07:13 pm
You know the Native Americans

You know the Native Americans had to deal with a lot of illegal immigrants too. Except they were white people....

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/05/11 - 07:18 pm
Yeh MK....see what happened

Yeh MK....see what happened when they let us get our foot in the door.....we learned a good lesson ....
Nip it...Nip it in the bud!!

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 03/05/11 - 07:20 pm
Not that it has anything to

Not that it has anything to do with anything, but I can remember when the ONLY Mexican restaurant in Augusta was Sancho's, located on Gordon Hwy, close to the K-Mart. Wasn't too good-o, from what I remember-o.

Mk Ultra
Mk Ultra 03/05/11 - 10:22 pm
I don't remember

I don't remember Sanchos...must've been before my time...

kmb413
kmb413 03/06/11 - 12:44 am
When I lived in Charleston,

When I lived in Charleston, INS came in and raided various Mexican restaurants. Three were shut down and 60 people were arrested. The restaurants were open the next day with a new crew. It isn't racist to say that illegals work there. It may be jumping to conclusions to say this man is illegal though.

scoopdedoop64
scoopdedoop64 03/06/11 - 01:05 am
Hey, I love my mexican food,

Hey, I love my mexican food, please don't shut them down! I don't have any problems with mexicans. As matter of fact I hired about 10 of them to replace my roof and they did a good job in just one day. It is sad that these guys were stealing because it is bad publicity for their businesses and for the mexicans in this area that do work hard and are here legally.

whatsupwiththat
whatsupwiththat 03/06/11 - 02:01 am
What else can be said. If

What else can be said. If they are "illegals"...send them home. Their families miss them...and we sure won't. There are plenty more.

tckr1983
tckr1983 03/06/11 - 03:59 am
No comment on here is racist.

No comment on here is racist. My family eats at one establishment every friday and my wife's family at another during the week. I know that at least two of the local chains do in fact, have guys that go back and forth between Augusta/"back home".

And I like many of these guys, but if they're breaking the law... they're breaking the law. If I was breaking the law and in another country illegally, I'd expect the same treatment. Especially if I was in another country illegally and part of a large theft ring, who's victims are possibly even some of their own patrons. But no need to worry about tens of thousands of dollars of stolen electronics and other things, right?

The probable cause and suspicion is warranted for background checks, more so because of the situation. Less political correctness and more reality of right and wrong.

astheworldturns
astheworldturns 03/06/11 - 09:22 am
Uhmm,,,Evo has nothing to do

Uhmm,,,Evo has nothing to do with Pablanos,,,his brother works there,,,stop speculating,,,none of you know evo.And none of you know much of anything.