Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Secretary says she's not guilty

Tiffiny Robinson, the Collins Elementary School secretary accused of having sex with a 15-year-old eighth-grader, pleaded not guilty to the charges of child molestation Friday.

Back | Next
Tiffiny Robinson, a former secretary at Collins Elementary School, is accused of having sex with a 15-year-old student.   Rainier Ehrhardt/Staff
Rainier Ehrhardt/Staff

Robinson laughed with other female inmates as she occasionally stole a quick look at television and newspaper journalists who watched her from across the packed courtroom.

Robinson is charged with three counts of enticing a child for indecent purposes, two counts of child molestation and one count of sexual assault against a person in custody, according to the indictment.

The indictment alleges that Robinson had sex with the boy at her home in the 2800 block of Rasha Drive on Jan 1.

On Feb. 12, she picked the pupil up from his home and drove him to the Augusta Marriott Hotel & Suites on 10th Street, where she booked a room and had sex with him again, according to the indictment.

She is also accused of taking a 15-year-old girl to a home on Channing Court between Jan. 1 and Feb. 16 "for the purpose of child molestation."

Robinson is not charged with actually molesting the girl.

School district officials launched an investigation Feb. 11 after a parent told Principal Thomas Norris that her children had heard rumors of the relationship during a Valentine's Day dance at the school Feb. 10.

Robinson, who also worked as an assistant coach for the girls basketball and softball teams, was placed on administrative leave after the district began its investigation.

She surrendered to authorities Feb. 16 and is currently in the Richmond County jail.

She has not yet had a bond hearing.

OTHER PLEAS

Desmond Anthony and Pierre Horton pleaded not guilty on murder and weapons charges related to the shooting death of Samuel Carroll Jr. Carroll's body was found in November in a wooded area behind the Fairway Village Apartments on Richmond Hill Road.

Dixieman
Dixieman 03/04/11 - 12:12 pm
Odd she should book a room in

Odd she should book a room in the best and most expensive hotel in Augusta for the second incident. I wonder why?

George
George 03/04/11 - 12:31 pm
Odd she doesn't get bail, but

Odd she doesn't get bail, but a certain white ex commissioner charged with molesting his adopted daughter does. If someone can explain to me how this is fair, I'd love to hear it.

I'm not saying she should have gotten bail, but the discrepancies in punishment between her and the ex commish makes you go hmmmm.....

Sweet son
Sweet son 03/04/11 - 12:27 pm
I don't believe that I could

I don't believe that I could laugh when I was looking at time in the pokey!

Sweet son
Sweet son 03/04/11 - 12:30 pm
George, you have already

George, you have already developed an opinion and answered your own question. Probably not right but you and I do not make those calls.

George
George 03/04/11 - 12:41 pm
Sweet son, no we don't make

Sweet son, no we don't make those calls, but I think we have an obligation and a right as citizens to voice our opinions, especially when things don't seem fair. Again, I'm not saying this woman should have gotten bail...but I do think it's tragic -not to mention glaringly obvious- the discrepancies in law.

kmb413
kmb413 03/04/11 - 12:51 pm
Two different counties.

Two different counties.

swinter05
swinter05 03/04/11 - 12:56 pm
maybe the ex-commish could

maybe the ex-commish could afford a good lawyer and she spent all her money on the room at Marriott .... but I'm not sure if the lawyers have anything to do with the bond

OhWell
OhWell 03/04/11 - 01:53 pm
Which judge presided over

Which judge presided over this case? If she is guilty of the crime I think she should do the time, but I certainly don't understand no bond. She could be released with no contact with the victim any non-family member under the age of 18 and it would not cost the county to house and feed her.

OhWell
OhWell 03/04/11 - 01:53 pm
Which judge presided over

dougk
dougk 03/04/11 - 02:12 pm
It really does make NO

It really does make NO sense.....particularly in light of the other local case mentioned above. Different counties and different judges should not be a justification. They are both being accused and processed under Georgia State law.

Insider Information
Insider Information 03/04/11 - 03:04 pm
There is a short list of

There is a short list of factors that judges are legally allowed to consider when deciding whether or not to grant bail. Race is not one of them. The factors include whether the person is a flight risk, whether the person is likely to commit a felony and whether the person is likely to intimidate a witness in the case.

dougk
dougk 03/04/11 - 03:37 pm
Of course race is not one of

Of course race is not one of the legal variables. Yet it discretion in the criminal justice is colored by race at every level of the criminal justice system in which there is discretion.

OhWell
OhWell 03/04/11 - 03:43 pm
dougk, you are correct

dougk, you are correct Georgia should have uniformed bonding and sentencing laws but they don't. There are judges in our circuit that rarely sentence offenders to long sentences and give probation when circumstances seem a sentence would be more appropriate. Then we have some judges that really stick it to em. I just would like to see everything done fairly and the public be protected.

Insider Information
Insider Information 03/04/11 - 03:49 pm
When we look for race, we

When we look for race, we will always see race.

OhWell
OhWell 03/04/11 - 03:58 pm
II I am as white as you are.

II I am as white as you are. I am not looking at race I am looking at equal treatment for all. If the article had said she was a flight risk that would explain things. If she were released and tried to influence witnesses and victim her bond could be voided. GA and this court circuit is not very uniformed in how they sentence offenders and that is wrong.

dougk
dougk 03/04/11 - 04:30 pm
Inside, your comment is a

Inside, your comment is a really big cop-out. It will take a huge amount of time, but you if you become familiar with and understand the enormous body of criminological literature on this specific topic, you would not say that.
And, it will take more white people like me and OhWell to continue to hammer at it since if only black people do, it's perceived only as self-serving and simply bellyaching.

Insider Information
Insider Information 03/04/11 - 05:02 pm
ohwell and dougk, I didn't

ohwell and dougk, I didn't attend either bond hearing, and I don't know what reasons the judged cited for their decisions. If they failed to cite a reason or the reason was race, the decision to deny bond can be successfully challenged on a petition for writ of habeas corpus. Based on your comments, you attended the hearings. What reasons did the judges cite?

tuffenuf4u
tuffenuf4u 03/04/11 - 05:09 pm
I think this woman needs

I think this woman needs psychiatric help. Sounds like she was starting to establish a pattern. The real question is: Has she done this before?

George
George 03/04/11 - 05:30 pm
Insider says, "When we look

Insider says, "When we look for race, we will always see race"

You can't fix a problem by ignoring it.

It's either race or political favoritism, take your pick. Heck, maybe even both. Either way, this woman doesn't have 2 things that the ex commish has: white skin and connections in politics.

Jason Wermers
Jason Wermers 03/04/11 - 05:43 pm
Given that the discussion

Given that the discussion here is centering on Tiffiny Robinson's bond, I wanted to point out that her bond hearing has not yet been held.

OhWell
OhWell 03/04/11 - 06:44 pm
Why is it taking so long?

Why is it taking so long? Scott Dean had one when he turned himself in. As I recall she was with her attorney when she turned herself in. Maybe it is him that is not doing his job or maybe he was not retained for that purpose. As overcrowded as Richmond County jails are reported to be I thought she would have had a hearing by now. Thanks for clearing the bond issue.

George
George 03/04/11 - 08:03 pm
The jail report states she is

The jail report states she is being held without bond, which is where the information came from. http://thejailreport.com/arrested/tiffiny-robinson/

OhWell is right. If she hasn't had a bond hearing, why is it taking so long? Dean had his bond hearing well before he entered his guilty plea. This woman is still in jail after surrendering to authorities on February 16th-that was two weeks ago. Technically speaking, if she hasn't had a bond hearing yet, she's still being held in prison without bond.

lena wayback
lena wayback 03/05/11 - 12:59 am
My son was arrested in

My son was arrested in Columbia County last year and went in front of a judge the same day. Bond was set and he was released. A co-worker was arested in Richmond County and took 2 days to go before a judge. Richmond county is clogged with people waiting to go before judges. I believe the judges are circuit judges and they serve both counties. One can only see so many cases at one time. Go to Columbia and Richmond county recent arrests, there are probably 3 to 4 times more people arrested in Richmond County on any given day. Numbers are probably much higher.

lena wayback
lena wayback 03/05/11 - 01:06 am
And another thing, if you

And another thing, if you read recent articles about this story, Richmond county searched for her all day on the 15th, the day the warant was issued, to no avail. Her home and the home of her "loved ones" and could not find her. She may not make bond. She may be considered a flight risk.

justfred
justfred 03/05/11 - 07:45 am
I firmly believe she is

I firmly believe she is innocent. Regardless of our opinions she is innocent until proven guilty. No where in this article has it been mentioned that the 15 yo is blind. I've seen her pic's.......she can't be guilty. I'm thinking about an old saying about a ten foot pole.

follower 03/05/11 - 09:44 am
There's a big difference in

There's a big difference in someone who has made themself available and had an attorney that kept in touch with court and law enforcement officials, and someone that didn't want to be found and had to be searched for before turning herself in.

Considering her actions in the beginning of the investigation, the court may have considered her a flight risk and are acting accordingly. Her prior record, or lack thereof, has not been provided, so as with many articles that are similar, we just don't know all the details.

All that aside, she is innocent until proven guilty, just as is Dean. Because she was uncooperative in the beginning, their bonds may not be the same. But this comparison does point to the fact that a good attorney and a cooperative spirit will make things easier for the accused.

As for any racism, I don't see it. But there is no question that having the means to obtain private counsel will help ensure someone can speed the process to obtaining a timely hearing and reasonable bond.

MsCille
MsCille 03/05/11 - 02:04 pm
As an adult female, I find

As an adult female, I find something terribly wrong with women who are having sex with children. Where are your morals and values? This trend is not one for any grown woman to follow.

Patty-P
Patty-P 03/05/11 - 02:44 pm
I think Augusta is slightly

I think Augusta is slightly racist...period.

DebA
DebA 03/05/11 - 03:19 pm
your right Patty .........all

your right Patty .........all races ...not just one...

DebA
DebA 03/05/11 - 03:27 pm
I wonder if we would be

I wonder if we would be disputing the "is she in jail because she is a certain race" if the child in the story was yours ........as a parent and if this is true ....I would not see black or white ...but red!