Defendant ordered shooting, witness says

For the second time, Steven Floyd Smith testified Tuesday that he heard Irving Folston order the death of Antonio President just minutes before President was killed.

Irving Folston:Augusta man said shooting victim Antonio President had stolen cocaine from him.

In September, Smith took the stand in the trial of Levaughn Marcel Sloans, who was found guilty of shooting President outside Sonny's Package Store at the corner of Wheeless and Milledgeville roads on May 1, 2008. Sloans was sentenced to life in prison plus 35 years.

On Tuesday, Smith testified that Sloans' co-defendant, Folston, who is on trial this week, gave Sloans a gun and ordered him to shoot President.

"What I heard was 'G' tell 'Black,' 'you need to go handle it. Handle it now,' " said Smith, who referred to Folston and Sloans, respectively, by their street names. "He wasn't asking him. He was telling him to go."

Smith was at the Sibley Road apartment to pay Sloans for cocaine he picked up the day before. After he left the apartment, Smith said, he was driving by the package store when he heard the gunshots and saw people scatter.

The jury also heard from several Richmond County sheriff's investigators, including Capt. Scott Peebles, who was present when prosecutor Rex Myers played a tape of Folston's interview with investigators.

Folston, who was not yet under arrest for the crime, could be heard describing to police how President had robbed him several months before the slaying. Prosecutors have since claimed that the robbery was Folston's motive for wanting President dead.

On the day of the robbery, Folston told investigators that President had ordered a half-gram of "work," slang for cocaine, and that as Folston began weighing out the drug, President robbed him of $1,000 and about a gram of cocaine.

He denied feeling vengeful about the robbery, suggesting that he was planning to leave the area anyway because he felt "outnumbered" and because after the robbery his business of selling cocaine had dried up.

"It never got back going like it was then," Folston said on the taped interview. "I were hurting."

hdrider
hdrider 03/02/11 - 04:05 am
The fact that these young

The fact that these young animals don't realize the courtroom isn't a place to speak slang says a lot about their mentality.

nofrills
nofrills 03/02/11 - 06:39 am
Please keep them off our

Please keep them off our streets

cparker
cparker 03/02/11 - 06:44 am
Young animals? No sympathy

Young animals? No sympathy for drug dealing, they deserve to get life. I do have a problem with black people being described as animals. We all see why you feel comfortable calling them animals. But afterall, the Augusta Chronicle is quite comfortable allowing your post to stand. Had I called a white meth dealer an animal, that would be a problem.

BornInAUG
BornInAUG 03/02/11 - 07:47 am
way to make this about race

way to make this about race cparker. Could hdrider be referring to them as animals because they kill because someone told them to? I would call the WHITE man (Odom??) that stabbed his daughter for not going and getting him prescription drugs an animal, would you agree hdrider? I think anyone who has such disregard for human life is an animal. See, cparker, we all are technically animals. But what I like to think separates me from these "young animals" is not the color of my skin, but the fact that I respect other PEOPLE, and value their lives. People that do not, are simply ANIMALS, because they don't show the same respect and self-restraint.

airbud7
airbud7 03/02/11 - 09:15 am
Well Said, BornInAUG!!!

Well Said, BornInAUG!!!

iLove
iLove 03/02/11 - 09:31 am
Please don't act like what

Please don't act like what parker is saying isn't true here on AC.com.
Please pop the bubble that you think you are living in.

david jennings
david jennings 03/02/11 - 10:31 am
Whats wrong with animal?I

Whats wrong with animal?I think animal is a compliment.I call them Heathens,white black any color.Animals take care of thier own through natural love and nurturing. a heathen is someone irreligious,uncivilized or unenlightened.

swinter05
swinter05 03/02/11 - 11:25 am
only when we can accept that

only when we can accept that "IT IS WHAT IT IS", will we be able to address the problems in this country. people that don't like to hear that someone representing them or their race, is a thug, heathen, animal, whatever you want to call it, are the people that hinder accountability. stupid people need to know that they are looked upon as stupid people and are subject to other's scrutiny. it doesn't matter what name you want to give it or what color you are (stupid has no face), the facts still stand, and IT IS WHAT IT IS

BornInAUG
BornInAUG 03/02/11 - 12:44 pm
I agree swinter. Everyone's

I agree swinter. Everyone's SOOO busy trying to be politically correct, and not offend someone.

ilove: if it is true, i'm sure AC deletes it, I don't post racist remarks, and they get deleted. Even IF it DOES occur on here, this wasn't one of those cases.

so ilove and cparker: Do you think Mr. President's relatives would be offended that we call the defendant an animal? What do you think they would call him? I would venture to guess something far more offensive than "Animal".

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 03/02/11 - 03:11 pm
That is a very rough area.

That is a very rough area. Everyone I know that has lived there has either moved, or is planning to move as soon as they can, unless things get better there. Some houses have been just left empty for years, because the owners are afraid to live in them. It's like a war zone at times.

kissofdeath
kissofdeath 03/02/11 - 03:15 pm
I think First 48 hours show

I think First 48 hours show producers would be interresting in Folston taped interview since every accomplisher always rat on the other during First 48 interrogation.

hdrider
hdrider 03/02/11 - 03:39 pm
Hmmm? Calling a murderer an

Hmmm? Calling a murderer an animal is racist? Lack of value in your own life or the life of another makes you less than human. AKA an animal. Pick the right "African American" to defend. If it were said in a way that was unwarranted about someone successful then I could understand it being racist....but a murderer? C'mon!

hdrider
hdrider 03/02/11 - 03:51 pm
My dentist is black. Do you

My dentist is black. Do you really think she walks in and speaks in slang street terms before drilling?

corgimom
corgimom 03/02/11 - 08:29 pm
Too bad that some people

Too bad that some people don't realize that when someone is testifying in court, under oath, the truth is what matters, not grammar. It's about the whole truth and nothing but the truth.