Dean girls removed from home

A Superior Court judge ordered three female children of Scott and Renee Dean removed from their home Monday, calling it a precaution to ensure that their testimony in the criminal case against their father is untainted.

A counselor involved in work related to the Scott Dean case requested his involvement in intensive family counseling.

During a hearing at the Evans courthouse, Judge James G. Blanchard Jr. made his ruling after concerns were raised about a request for family counseling that would have included Dean.

A grand jury indicted Dean, a former county commissioner, on two counts of child molestation Feb. 2. He pleaded not guilty to those charges Feb. 18.

As part of Dean's bond, Blanchard had ordered that Dean not be involved in counseling with his family because one of the children is the alleged victim and the others are potential witnesses.

A counselor who has met with the victim several times and the other children at least once recently requested that Dean be involved in an "intensive, family counseling" session with two specialists from Atlanta.

The counseling request was denied by the children's guardian ad litem and by the Department of Family and Children Services. The guardian ad litem, appointed by Blanchard last month, said a DFCS case worker initially appeared willing to approve the family counseling session.

"I did not agree with that in the middle of a court proceeding (involving) criminal charges and did not feel that was appropriate at this time," the guardian told the judge.

Renee Dean expressed her willingness to participate in the counseling, if the court would allow it.

Blanchard said he was concerned about the children's being influenced, possibly coerced, in their testimony. He said he has seen numerous cases in which children later change their testimony and were obviously influenced or coached.

"One of the purposes the court has is to make sure the criminal procedure operates ... without any contamination," Blanchard said. "I'm not saying that is taking place in this case."

The judge referred placement of the children to the Columbia County Juvenile Court.

The judge also ordered that the children continue treatment without the counselor who suggested involving Dean. Continued treatment will be arranged by the Juvenile Court.

The alleged victim is one of five children -- four girls and a boy -- the Deans adopted from Guatemala in 2008. They have two biological sons.

Dean has not lived in the family's Harlem home since the DFCS temporarily removed the adopted children in October.

The eldest daughter, Marlin, ran away last October to Mexico.

Chillen
Chillen 02/28/11 - 03:04 pm
Wow.

Wow.

Sweet son
Sweet son 02/28/11 - 03:17 pm
This smells really bad!

This smells really bad!

George
George 02/28/11 - 03:23 pm
That should have happened as

That should have happened as soon as people knew Mrs.Dean didn't believe her husband was guilty. I'm not saying Scott's guilty or not, I know as much as anyone else. But prudence says someone should have been thinking earlier. Well, I suppose better late than never.

louisvilleisasmalltown
louisvilleisasmalltown 02/28/11 - 03:43 pm
I am also surprised that

I am also surprised that Renee Dean's personal Facebook page is as open as it is.

punkin14
punkin14 02/28/11 - 04:00 pm
George.. I agree, I've been

George.. I agree, I've been saying this from the beginning. The day Renee decided to show up in court to stand by her man, i.e Tammy Wynette, those children should have been taken out. There's a huge conflict of interest when she's defending her husband and the accuser is under her roof and depends on as her mother figure. I wonder what the daughter felt when her mother was present to defend her father. I can only imagine the love and support a teen going through this needs from her mother at a time like this. It makes you wonder if she's been getting it or not.

Austin Rhodes
Austin Rhodes 02/28/11 - 04:08 pm
Oh..there is MORE info than

Oh..there is MORE info than what you see above to this twist!

ANGEL
ANGEL 02/28/11 - 04:14 pm
Austin, send it our way.

Austin, send it our way.

rocketserve
rocketserve 02/28/11 - 04:24 pm
I thought that I read

I thought that I read somewhere that Renee told the judge she was taking the girl in question with this case on a mission trip the day that Scott originally turned himself in and was charged?

LBenedict
LBenedict 02/28/11 - 06:45 pm
rocketserve - as I understand

rocketserve - as I understand it, a mission trip had been planned months prior to the indictment.

swimmer
swimmer 02/28/11 - 07:18 pm
Renee Dean seems like a

Renee Dean seems like a common enough name. Maybe you're looking at a different Renee Dean's facebook page?

fatboyhog
fatboyhog 02/28/11 - 07:18 pm
I'm really beginning to

I'm really beginning to wonder if this has become a smear campaign. I don't know anything about Deen, but it seems to me that they are going all out with this case.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/28/11 - 07:32 pm
Judge Blanchard, good move.

Judge Blanchard, good move.

LBenedict
LBenedict 02/28/11 - 07:45 pm
fatboy - although it is

fatboy - although it is possible, I doubt it. Only a few people know what the evidence is at this point in time; we'll find out during the trial. I doubt that Ashley Wright, a young, intelligent DA who was just tapped by Governor Deal to the Judicial Nominating Committee or some such thing, and, who has further political aspirations, would go to a grand jury, indict, and use limited resources to prosecute the case if nothing's there. That said, she knows what the evidence is at this moment and time will tell if this is a witch hunt, smear campaign...Let's see what the evidence reveals...perhaps nothing.

dougk
dougk 02/28/11 - 08:05 pm
"All out in THIS case?"

"All out in THIS case?" Believe me, the prosecution and the judge are treading very lightly and have their ducks in a row.
These folks can't afford to be overjealous or make mistakes in this case.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/28/11 - 08:08 pm
Fatboyhog, yeah, the fact

Fatboyhog, yeah, the fact that Judge Blanchard brought this up and is taking a critical look at "RENEE" Dean "is in fact attempting to drag other people into Dean's demise." That's what I was told anyway by someone who should know better. Smile.

Dixieman
Dixieman 02/28/11 - 09:28 pm
I no longer have the

I no longer have the slightest idea what is going on in this sad and confusing case.

George
George 02/28/11 - 09:34 pm
fatboyhog, it will all come

fatboyhog, it will all come out in the wash when the Scott Dean goes to court and the truth will come out. I will say that Austin Rhodes is 100% right, there are a lot more facts than the AC is reporting. The full evidence presented against Dean has mostly been unreported except for in snippets here and there. I'm not going to go into details because I'm pretty sure the AC will pull my post if i do. But let me just say, the evidence, if it is true, is pretty damning.

fatboyhog
fatboyhog 02/28/11 - 10:02 pm
Why don't we just try him on

Why don't we just try him on the Austin Rhodes Show, since he seems to have all the information? It would be much cheaper, plus he's pretty much been convicted by the media. I don't know if he's guilty or innocent, I'm just tired of the media trying people. The evidence should stay where it belongs and that's in the court room. If he's guilty, then he deserves whatever he gets. However, if he's innocent, he will forever be looked at with suspicion. The media does a good job destroying people. Remember Richard Jewell?

dougk
dougk 02/28/11 - 10:21 pm
fatboy...the media are only

fatboy...the media are only doing their job.....and you and everyone else should thank goodness this is an open process. Do you really want the criminal justice system closed to public scrutiny?....that's not Constitutional...and it's not that way to satisfy nosey people, but to assure fairness for the accused.

tnjsw
tnjsw 03/01/11 - 01:36 am
Talk about a lynching party.

Talk about a lynching party. This guy dosen't stand a chance.

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/01/11 - 05:37 am
I wonder if Dean's past

I wonder if Dean's past activities with the county employee who was married to the soldier in Iraq will be brought into this?

mable8
mable8 03/01/11 - 08:08 am
Makes one wonder why this

Makes one wonder why this politically motivated, trumped up charge has gone so far. His eldest daughter, who is no longer in the home, has already stated her father did none of the things he is accused of...but then, the DA has her own private agenda. As for denying the parents participation in the counselling session, someone should take away the social workers license for requesting such a denial.

getagrip
getagrip 03/01/11 - 08:49 am
Austin, sometimes because of

Austin, sometimes because of the underage children, discretion is appropriate. This is one of those times. Dean will be tried in court and I for one, would rather the twist come out there. Be professional.

WW1949
WW1949 03/01/11 - 08:50 am
my my my and the web gets

my my my and the web gets tighter.

Austin Rhodes
Austin Rhodes 03/01/11 - 09:05 am
I don't believe the kids

I don't believe the kids involved in the case are glued to the news reports on this case. As far as reporting what the Judges are considering and why, it has been done since the days of the Scopes Trial and beyond.

Austin Rhodes
Austin Rhodes 03/01/11 - 09:09 am
Hey...Mable8. What

Hey...Mable8. What politicians "trumped up" these charges and why? Dean was in good standing with all the most powerful CC leaders...at least until "text-gate".

The evidence that prompted the DFACS investigation was delivered by Lilly Dean, and those to whom she told her tale. DFACs brought the cops in, and the rest is history.

dani
dani 03/01/11 - 10:04 am
I agree with Dixieman..this

I agree with Dixieman..this is a sad and confusing case. Very unsettling.
I have no idea what is going on and I suspect that the same could be said for others that are making comments.

louisvilleisasmalltown
louisvilleisasmalltown 03/01/11 - 10:38 am
Nope, it was THE Renee

Nope, it was THE Renee Dean.

I was posting a message on one of my friend's FB wall, when I looked over and saw in her list of friends Renee Dean. I clicked on it, expect nothign more than her name to come up and all of her privacy settings set to the highest level, but instead the page was wide open, and it was not a page for her photography, it was a personal page. Complete with photos of her kids and whatnot.

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/01/11 - 11:02 am
As much as I argue with

As much as I argue with Austin, he, Scott Hudson and WGAC have been the objective voices in the community concerning Scott Dean's activities. From the very start with the text-gate, there has been a conspiracy of silence from the Dean-Sleeper-Cross cabal that the other media has refused to question. Remember the paid campaign staffer who used to berate us for questioning Dean?

In addition, no one questioned keeping the kids with Renee Dean considering her support of the husband except Austin and a few commenters. We were all accused of trying to attack and link Dean's family and wife to this current episode when all we were doing is pointing the same things the judge sees. Explain that "psychologist" and Renee's involvement with that to the judge.

I'm not gloating, but I hope this is a wake-up call for some.

Austin Rhodes
Austin Rhodes 03/01/11 - 11:15 am
I do question a system where

I do question a system where a child is living with, and under the supervision of, a mother who believes the child is lying in such a serious matter. It doesn't make a damn bit of sense.

Nothing against the Deans specifically...this is a "system wide" phenomenon that needs explanation.

Commission rejects tax jump

Seven commissioners nixed a proposed tax increase Monday that would cost a typical homeowner $70 a year, leaving the countywide millage rate unset with just a few days to meet state deadlines.