Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Woman is accused of leaving toddler alone

Police arrested an Evans woman Thursday after her 2-year-old daughter was discovered by a Columbia County sheriff's deputy running out of her driveway.

Aliman S. Bobb, 27, of the 4500 block of Anderson Court, was charged with contributing to the delinquency of a minor after she left the toddler alone for nearly an hour.

Bobb told police that she left the girl sleeping at the home for about 50 minutes while she took her other daughter to school and picked up babysitters.

The Department of Family and Children Services removed both of Bobb's children from her custody, according to the police report. They were placed with a family friend.

Cadence
Cadence 02/25/11 - 08:16 pm
This is done more often than

This is done more often than one might think, parents don't want to wake the child up and so decide it will be ok to leave him/her alone for "just a little while." It's dangerous, though, a really bad idea.

corgimom
corgimom 02/25/11 - 09:39 pm
I have two 2 year old

I have two 2 year old granddaughters. I don't like it even when they just leave the room that I am in and go out of my sight.

It is incomprehensible to me that anyone would leave a 2 year old alone for any reason. That woman could've had a car accident or car trouble and the baby would've been left alone for hours.

The baby probably went outside to find her mother. That poor, scared baby.

That woman could've come home to a missing or dead child. And for what?

What is WRONG with people today?

whatsupwiththat
whatsupwiththat 02/26/11 - 12:16 am
It's an excuse because she

It's an excuse because she was caught...not a reason. And it's not acceptable. At some point we should have enough of listening to this crap. No 2 year old child should be left alone. Period. I wonder about about the qualifications of the "babysitters" she was picking up.

Martinez
Martinez 02/26/11 - 12:53 am
Heck I have an 11 year old

Heck I have an 11 year old that has never been left home alone for 5 minutes let alone an hour. My rule of thumb has been 12 years old / middle school age and then based on the child's maturity, responsibility level etc. I know it stinks to have to wake a baby but being left home alone is never a viable alternative. Wow.

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 02/26/11 - 07:48 am
I'm like corgimom, I can't

I'm like corgimom, I can't stand for a child in my care to leave the room. Two year olds can be off and gone quick. Even if the child had remained asleep, someone could have broken in, the house could have caught on fire, the possibilities are endless.

nevertoolate
nevertoolate 02/26/11 - 09:02 am
Half the population is below

Half the population is below average intelligence and I would venture to say that this woman is a member of that club.

dibone1
dibone1 02/26/11 - 01:36 pm
I think the mom is nothing as

I think the mom is nothing as she's being portray in this article; I personally know that she's a great mom and always been there for her two kids since they were babies; of course she made a bad call by leaving her kid alone but she's being destroyed right now by your evil comments. When you're portraying her as a criminal, well are you helping the person become a better person or are you doing it so that people can see you're smart? What happened was a pure and simple mistake because she did not want to wake her kid up and thought it was the right thing to do, and only went to pick her babysitter up because she had a lot of bills to pay or stuff to do by herself; not even saying that she's the only one taking full care of her two kids and if you have kids that you take care of by yourself, you'll understand. So please give her a break and show her support by helping her to never make that mistake again instead of judging her without compassion as if all of you guys are angels and never made a single mistake in your life time. The only difference between you and her, is that she's been caught, and you've never been caught doing what you do best in the dark. it's always easy to bring judgment on those that make wrong calls in life and when it's you, you'll want compassion right? well don't believe in everything you read my friends. Thank you for reading me

corgimom
corgimom 02/26/11 - 05:32 pm
"I personally know that she's

"I personally know that she's a great mom and always been there for her two kids since they were babies"

...except for when she left her two year old alone. Then she wasn't there, period.

GREAT MOMS don't leave 2 year olds alone, for any reason. Ever. Because they know they are endangering their life, and decent mothers would rather cut off their arms than endanger their baby.

dibone, what if she had gotten into an accident? Or her car broke down? Or the baby had wandered off or gotten hit by a car? She endangered that child's LIFE.

Evil comments? She is being portrayed as a criminal because she committed a crime. She knowingly, willingly, left that baby alone.

Nobody ever thinks leaving a 2 year old home alone is a good idea for ANY reason. So what if the baby had to be woken up? According to her, she left at 9:50 am. Don't people expect for children to be awake by then?

"not even saying that she's the only one taking full care of her two kids and if you have kids that you take care of by yourself, you'll understand. "

I MOST CERTAINLY DID have a child that I took care of by myself, and he was NEVER left alone at age 2. No, I don't understand, I'll never understand. That's not a mistake, that is neglect. Pure and simple neglect. I didn't have to worry about being caught, because I DIDN"T DO THAT. Responsible parents DON"T DO THAT. Yes, there is a major difference between me and her. I am a responsible person.

My opinion? It's not the first time, either. But this time she got caught.

Wonder how many times she's left the other child alone and unsupervised?

It never ceases to amaze me how many people assume that other people act just like them and try to rationalize bad behavior by saying, "Oh, you know you do it too." How sad for children that there are adults out there who think this is normal behavior.

crackerjack
crackerjack 02/26/11 - 07:36 pm
I guess that ruins the Mother

I guess that ruins the Mother of the Year Award for her. I hope she doesn't vote.

dibone1
dibone1 02/26/11 - 07:40 pm
Thanks for your reply

Thanks for your reply Corgimom. I understand that you really feel frustrated about it since it concerns a two year old human being that could be your kid. I can sense that you’re a mom and exactly know what you’re talking about, but do not forget that we do not have the same life experience in life.
You can call the wrongs she did whatever you want: a crime, neglect or whatever words suit your understanding of the wrong she committed, but who are you to judge her actions when she thought to have made the right call at that time by quickly going to get the babysitter because she did not want to disturb her sleeping child? She paid for that by going to jail but don‘t say now that she‘s a bad mom because of what happened. You're absolutely right on most points you made as a mom yourself, but the fact about this matter remains that she still going to be the mom to her kids no matter what people say and comment on this situation. So the point I'm really trying to make here is that as a young mother taking care of two kids and having no one else to help and share the tasks with, it won’t be easy and you'll constantly be making a lot of mistakes because it's a first time life experience you'll be going through as a single mom. I'm not trying to defend what she did; of course what she did was wrong, but that doesn't mean she's a bad mom! She made a quick judgment call, so what? don't tell me that you've never made any wrong call when coming to your kids; I mean are you going to call her a criminal now because she did not want to wake up her kid so that she could quickly go pick up the babysitter, who stays 10 minutes away from her, so that she could finally have time to pay the bills. Are u going to call her a criminal for that? I mean are you going to call that a crime just because it is listed as a crime? I mean you could claim you've never taken any wrong actions when coming to your kids, but nobody was there with you when you took care of them and you're the only one that knows that truth and please, do not even assume she did it before as you don’t even personally know her.
I mean she accepted what she did was wrong and already paid for that, but how are we helping her to never do it again when we’re all just pointing fingers? Are we so selfish to that point? I personally think we appointed and voted for laws on papers to be the judge of us and not us personally judging people when we don’t even personally know them.

mc66
mc66 02/27/11 - 12:23 pm
"but how are we helping her

"but how are we helping her to never do it again when we're all just pointing fingers?"

Hopefully, going to jail and getting her children taken away will help her understand that she is to never do this again.

Being a single mom is definitely not an easy job. I am one too. If I had to pay my bills, my children went with me. You learn to adjust your life and your schedule around your children. Nobody likes to disturb a sleeping child, but sometimes it is necessary. If they are really tired, they will fall back asleep in the car.

All mothers, whether single or married, have to learn to adjust our schedules and lives around our children. We have to take them with us to the grocery store, to pay bills, to the convenience store, etc. It can be a hassle sometimes but once you get into a routine it becomes easier.

I don't know how long she has been a single mother, but she has had at least 2 years to become accustomed to being a mother. She should have already been in a routine of taking her children with her everywhere.

By the way, my children are now teenagers in high school. I still try to take them with me everywhere. And if they don't want to go with me, I have a neighbor check on them periodically if I'm going to be away for more than a couple of hours. LOL

shadypines
shadypines 06/12/11 - 11:09 pm
Good grief. My daughter is

Good grief. My daughter is almost 11, and I still wouldn't leave her home by herself, even if she was sleeping! What is really scary is that most people don't get caught the first time they do things like this, so something tells me this wasn't a one-time thing.

Mayor's race historic, controversial

Hardie Davis is still waiting to take office after winning a mayoral race that featured no white candidates and saw one of his opponents drop out the day before the election.