Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Mother charged with cruelty to children

A mother was charged Thursday after her child was beaten with the adjuster rod of a window blind.

Lisa Marie Weaving, 35, told authorities she whipped her 8-year-old daughter with the rod after she came home from school with a bad report, according to Richmond County sheriff's Sgt. James Kelly.

DFCS took custody of the child whose back was covered in numerous welts and bruises.

The child's father, 45-year-old Jackie Bernard Green, was also charged after investigators determined the residence on the 2400 block of Bahama Drive was "unlivable."

Weaving was charged with second degree cruelty to children. Both parents were charged with deprivation of a minor.

Gaangel
Gaangel 02/25/11 - 01:19 pm
Good job DFCS

Good job DFCS

turncoat
turncoat 02/25/11 - 01:32 pm
Lets not be too quick to

Lets not be too quick to congratulate DFCS. I'll be the ranch that within two weeks the child will be right back at home in the bosom of her loving family.

What SHOULD happen is the grades of the mother and father should be examined when THEY were 8 years old and if their grades were "bad" they should be beaten with a curtain rod.

Better yet, look at their lives TODAY. Five gets you ten the lifetime accomplishments of these two losers probably cries out for SOME kind of punishment.

ADAMS
ADAMS 02/25/11 - 02:04 pm
Another two for one{Jena} Why

Another two for one{Jena} Why was the father arrested and charged with a crime? This do not appear to have violated any law.People do fall on hard time. I know alot of unliveable home i visited every day,should i call DFACS.The father arrest strongly implies that this was motivated by distinct human type.I am calling on Augusta District Attorney Ashley Wright to immediatley rectify this false arrest of the father.

KellyRay
KellyRay 02/25/11 - 02:35 pm
It breaks my heart for these

It breaks my heart for these children living in these conditions.. First of all Parents especially Mothers are supose to protect there children not beat them! I'd like to beat you with a stick just for hitting your child Second of all get your lazy but up and clean your house. Children are so innocent they should not be beaten or made to live in filth I hope that DFACS does do there job in these cases cause they are some lazy individuals too... I'd love to have there job I'd run circles around them! Kids deserve only the best, they are our future lets raise them right people!!!

emergencyfan
emergencyfan 02/25/11 - 02:37 pm
Adams - Sounds like the

Adams - Sounds like the arrest of the father had to do with the child's living conditions. I can think of several things he could be charged with including neglect.

tresmom
tresmom 02/25/11 - 02:42 pm
Adams..."hardtimes"? really?!

Adams..."hardtimes"? really?! hardtimes does not account for getting your lazy self up and cleaning your house. If anything, it means he had more time to do it! By the child living in those conditions he was at fault for neglect just as much as the mother was as fault for abuse. Period.

inform
inform 02/25/11 - 02:48 pm
The mother should get in

The mother should get in trouble and maybe the father was home and witnessed the cruel beating.... We will see but I hope the mother doesn't get her back unless parenting classes are completed.

Whats wrong with America today? Why are we killing and beating or running over our children? How hard is it from day one to raise your kids with respect and self respect? Kids will be kids and smell themselves from time to time, we all have but if our parents killed us there would be no them. I think when women find out they are pregnant they should be sent to parenting classes through the pregnancy. I guess the book "What to expect when expecting" doesn't cover enough.

My prayers for the child who suffers the most and has been removed from the only place and people she thought loved her. May God protect you and comfort you in this scary time.

Sweet son
Sweet son 02/25/11 - 03:33 pm
I bet both mom and dad had

I bet both mom and dad had cigarettes in that unlivable home!

jones255
jones255 02/25/11 - 03:41 pm
I agree turncoat. Really, a

I agree turncoat. Really, a curtain rod ? Put the mother (SR) in a dark deep hole, for a long time. After her visit with a curtain rod, of course. The daughter needs to be adopted by a loving family, and the worthless parents lose their parental rights. No excuse.

corgimom
corgimom 02/25/11 - 04:23 pm
There is no doubt in my mind

There is no doubt in my mind that the mother and father were raised in even worse conditions. That's their frame of reference, and from their point of view, they see themselves as giving their children a better life than they had.

david jennings
david jennings 02/25/11 - 05:37 pm
I have always said I was

I have always said I was fortunate to have good parents.We grew up poor (monetarily) but my Mom kept our little home clean and our clothes clean.My Dad took us to church and we were made to go to school.There was no food stamps or other gov. assistance in those days,Im 61,but we never went hungry.It doesnt take a village to raise kids,it takes parents.

scoopdedoop64
scoopdedoop64 02/26/11 - 12:11 am
You know we can only hope

You know we can only hope that the safty of the child will remain in tact and what is best for the child will be done. But I remember as a child being whipped with welts all over my legs and arms. I am in my mid-forties. Now maybe it wasn't right but I did learn right from wrong and the fear of discipline forced me to walk a straight line. I don't believe in abuse but there is a place for corpal punishment that I think we have lost today. Fact is kids today don't fear being put in "time out". Much to thought about in how we discipline our kids today. I will just leave you with one thought: "if the pain of the discipline does not outweigh the pleasure of the wrong done then the child never learns."

nevertoolate
nevertoolate 02/26/11 - 09:11 am
scoopdedoop, I too can

scoopdedoop, I too can remember the welts on my backside and legs after being whipped with a switch. My Dad even gave me the privilege of choosing which switch to cut off the apple tree. Yes, I feared and respected Dad, I never played with matches again!

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 02/26/11 - 01:24 pm
There is a difference between

There is a difference between discipline and corporal punishment. Spanking should not be done after a child is out of diapers. Even then one quick swat on the diaper should be enough to get his attention. I believe children who are disciplined rather than spanked have much better self-discipline because it has been modeled for them by their parents' and care-givers' behavior. In addition to good self-discipline, they also have more self-respect, respect for others and compassion for others. I am so thankful I didn't spank my children and disciplined them properly instead, because, as a result, I believe that is why they have the qualities I just listed.

corgimom
corgimom 02/26/11 - 05:12 pm
"The father arrest strongly

"The father arrest strongly implies that this was motivated by distinct human type."

What distinct human type, breathing? Gender?

Or are you implying because of race? Because there is no mention anywhere of the father's race.

walrus4ever
walrus4ever 02/26/11 - 08:03 pm
This sounds like an

This sounds like an unfortunate child that will grow up to abuse themselves as well as her children. My adopted daughter was abused, neglected and has struggled into adulthood with FAS all courtesy of her birth parents. No sympathy for the parents here. Only for the child. Jail em and find that girl a decent home to grow in.

gadawg1968
gadawg1968 02/27/11 - 06:32 am
What is wrong with you

What is wrong with you people? This is why kids are as bad as they are because parents are afraid to dicipline their children. There have to be consequences for peoples actions. But since parents cant dicipline their kids, dont give them any. Let them do whatever the world they want to do. This is how kids turn into thugs!!

ConcernedTaxpayer
ConcernedTaxpayer 02/27/11 - 08:27 am
I agree with you gadawg,

I agree with you gadawg, spare the rod, spoil the child. I'm glad my kids are raised and grown, because under today's standards, I probably would have been arrested. One time when my daughter was in high school and threatened that she could go to the counselor at school, her mother said "that's fine, if you don't like living here and want to live with some one else, you just go right ahead and talk to the counselor'. That was the end of that, she decided she was much better off with us than any where else! She thanks us today for the way we raised her. I made many mistakes and was probably too hard on them, but today they are hard working, responsible adults and I don't believe their minds are warped because of it.

Patty-P
Patty-P 02/27/11 - 04:21 pm
I agree with

I agree with gadawg1968....you can't discipline your kids without someone crying child abuse. So just let them do whatever and disrespect everyone and let them turn out however they turn out. We can't wonder why teens act out the way they do. Because they CAN. We don't know the particulars of this case, but people shouldn't jump to conclusions about everything.

swinter05
swinter05 03/02/11 - 01:04 pm
the only problem is...welts

the only problem is...welts shouldn't be on her back, they should be on her buttocks, if anywhere. and if you have to go out of your way to get a rod from the blinds or where ever, then that's a little extreme. using a little common sense, this article leads me to believe that it was abuse, b/c the home was a filth bag and unlivable (another form of abuse)

all4kedz
all4kedz 03/18/11 - 12:02 pm
I don't personally know this

I don't personally know this family or this child, but I know some people they used to work with. From what's been said by them, I am glad this child was taken from the home. I hear she always had that sad look in her eye and people wondered why. This child nor any other child deserves to be beat with an adjuster rod. Have you ever been hit with one? They hurt!