Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Drugs, cash seized after Evans traffic stop

Columbia County investigators seized 3 kilos of cocaine and more than $100,000 in cash Friday after a six-month investigation culminated in a traffic stop.

Sheriff's Lt. Sharif Chochol said an anonymous tip led to the investigation by the special operations bureau and the traffic stop about 4 p.m at the intersection of Evans to Lock s and Furys Ferry roads in Evans.

The two men inside the car, Jesus Ivan Alonzo, 24, and Ventura Reyes-Martinez, 33, of the 100 block of Webbs Road in North Augusta, were arrested on suspicion of trafficking in cocaine, Chochol said.

A search warrant was immediately executed at Alonzo's home in the 900 block of Furys Ferry Road, which resulted in the cash seizure, Chochol said.

Chochol said the suspects were en route to make a delivery and that Friday's seizure was "one of the largest drug and money seizures" made in Columbia County.

juantez
juantez 02/26/11 - 12:39 am
Say it ain't so...There is no

Say it ain't so...There is no drugs in Columbia Co nor a drug problem..

whatsupwiththat
whatsupwiththat 02/26/11 - 01:07 am
Jesus (not THE JESUS) and

Jesus (not THE JESUS) and Ventura Reyes...are these guys locals? I think not. Send them home.

Martinez
Martinez 02/26/11 - 01:57 am
Apparently there are now 3

Apparently there are now 3 kilos less drugs in Columbia County. Great job Sheriff's Department! The even better news is that the CC Jail won't spit these guys out overnight due to overcrowding. They stand a chance of actually spending time in there.

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 02/26/11 - 04:33 am
Great job to the Coloumbia

Great job to the Coloumbia County Sheriff's office. Keep up the good work.

corgimom
corgimom 02/26/11 - 07:07 am
Another "anonymous tip"! Wow!

Another "anonymous tip"! Wow!

bclicious
bclicious 02/26/11 - 08:31 am
I hope the $100,000 cash

I hope the $100,000 cash stays with CCSO; they earned it! Use it to buy new equipment, for training, etc.

charliemanson
charliemanson 02/26/11 - 09:38 am
"Hispanic criminal groups,

"Hispanic criminal groups, primarily Mexican, are the principal transporters of powdered cocaine into Georgia."

oldfella
oldfella 02/26/11 - 09:38 am
I guy I used to work

I guy I used to work construction with once said "Cociane is God's way of telling you that you make too much money."
Anyway, the fastest way to put dealers like these out of business is to stop purchasing their product - it is just that simple. America brings this upon ourselves. Last time I checked coke dealers don't twist your arm forcing you to buy it.

fatboyhog
2025
fatboyhog 02/26/11 - 09:56 am
I would be interested to know

I would be interested to know where these two worked. Once this week we have stolen property found in a Mexican Restaurant. Now we have Mexicans arrested for transporting cocaine. And we stupid Americans continue to support this behavior by supporting those that employee illegal aliens. Now, I don't know if these guys were, but there are plenty of illegals in this area that we support by continually supporting businesses that hire them.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/26/11 - 09:58 am
Wasn't that the same Mexican

Wasn't that the same Mexican restaurant where the million bucks was found in the safe after the robbery and the IRS confiscated all of it?

Indigo
Indigo 02/26/11 - 10:44 am
This is a very poorly titled

This is a very poorly titled & written story. The story title seems to indicate that the cops "got lucky" with a routine traffic stop, when in fact, the story seems to indicate (poorly) that there was an investigation and the traffic stop was part of the action taken to initiate an arrest.

Having written papers all my life, this one wouldn't pass the sniff test.

Richmnd Cty Votr
Richmnd Cty Votr 02/26/11 - 11:05 am
Hopefully, our elected

Hopefully, our elected officials will begin to take seriously the Illegal Alien issue, before it is too late, and we look just like MEXICO.

modo302
modo302 02/26/11 - 11:25 am
I agree with bclicious! They

I agree with bclicious! They should definitely get to keep that money to use for enhancing the department. GREAT JOB C. County Sheriffs Dept.!

Chillen
Chillen 02/26/11 - 12:17 pm
Are these two fine upstanding

Are these two fine upstanding men here legally? My money says they are not.

Enforce Immigration Laws Now.

WW1949
WW1949 02/26/11 - 12:33 pm
fatboyhog, you better cut

fatboyhog, you better cut your own grass, cook your own food, do your own construction work, dig your own ditches because the entitlement crowd is not doing it. They are leaving it to the illegals because they get "their" check from us, the tax paying worker, so those jobs are now beneath them. The entitlement crowd is the one you need to worry about.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 02/26/11 - 02:05 pm
Drug trafficking can be going

Drug trafficking can be going on anywhere and everywhere. It sure seems to be.

storiesihaveread
storiesihaveread 02/26/11 - 02:16 pm
WW1949 I do cut my own grass

WW1949 I do cut my own grass I do cook my own food, I have dug a trench. I do construction work. Not seeing the point in your comment!

david jennings
david jennings 02/26/11 - 02:49 pm
If you work and pay taxes you

If you work and pay taxes you are paying for illegal drugs.Through housing subsidies,food stamps or welfare.The gov. makes it so easy to be as irresponsible as people want to be.

fatboyhog
2025
fatboyhog 02/26/11 - 03:48 pm
WW, I agree. It's time to

WW, I agree. It's time to also cut people off the welfare doles. Have more kids, your check is gone. Get convicted of a felony, your check is gone. Refuse to work even a part-time job, your check is gone. Refuse to do volunteer work in return for a check, your check is gone. Live in public housing and shack up, your check is gone. Have kids that constantly break the law, lose your check. Your kids keep disrupting schools, you lose your check. Your kids drop out of school or get kicked out of school, you lose your check. With "incentives" like these, maybe the entitlement crowd would get off their rears, take the jobs that are beneath them, and drive the illegals out. You want to eat? Then you work.

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 02/26/11 - 07:00 pm
ALL entitlement programs

ALL entitlement programs should cease to exsist immediately.

rbndawn
rbndawn 02/26/11 - 08:30 pm
I'm soo upset about this that

I'm soo upset about this that is hard to describe, my wife and I are Mexicans, we are law abiding citizens, we work hard, pay our taxes and we are doing the best we can to raise our son to be a productive and succesfull man. I believe that we Mexicans are to behave as if we were in our neighbors house, with respect and following their rules, I do and many more Mexicans I know do too. When my wife and I became Naturalized US Citizens years ago, gave our oath with our heart to contribute and help to make this country better following the law, then these people come and do what they did and put one more stain in the already damaged image of the hispanics regardless of their country of origen. I wonder if the next time I go out for dinner with my family people around me will be wondering if I'm paying with money earned from illicit activities instead of my hard ours of work.
Shame on them and for that I appologize if it means something to the Citizens of Columbia County.
I'm sorry, very sorry...

resident
resident 02/26/11 - 09:43 pm
rbndawn there is no need to

rbndawn there is no need to aplogize for the people of your heritage the are just plain ole breaking the law. You sir are the exception right now and not the norm. I think i could speake for the majority of the people thta if they were to apply to come into this country legally and apply for citizenship, speak english (constitutional requirement for citizenship) we would welcome every one of them and their children. This also comes with paying taxes, obeying the laws and raising their childrent to stay off drugs and gangs are bad. I again applaud you for your becoming a citizen and doing the right thing.

airbud7
airbud7 02/27/11 - 10:23 am
rbndawn, You have my respect☺

rbndawn, You have my respect☺

iLove
iLove 02/28/11 - 11:43 am
All of this in Columbia

All of this in Columbia County?!? I wonder who the users of the drugs are. . . .

Dixieman
Dixieman 02/28/11 - 12:54 pm
rbndawn - sorry for the other

rbndawn - sorry for the other bad posts, you have my respect.
This is unbelievable - best part of CC not immune from drug plague. Legalize?

edubb
edubb 02/28/11 - 06:03 pm
Wow 3 Little Kilos off the

Wow 3 Little Kilos off the street and everybody thinks this is justice. Please wake up and see what's going on here. How much will it cost to house these guys for 20 years, for 6.6lbs of an illegal substance? Why so much time? The Drug Penalities in this country are cruel and unusual punishment. I can't see how anybody can justify locking up any human being for that amount of time for selling drugs. Drugs that people actually enjoy taking, Just like cigaretts and beer, but everyone loves those Drugs and Justify having a smoke or a Drink to relax. Just to house these guys in Prison in GA will probably be at least 40k a year. Think of that 40K every year for 20-25 years maybe even life. We can't continue the rate of incarceration in this country. Its goin to bankrupt the USA. Not to mention the children that will be left to fend for themselves. People that justify these harsh Drug laws are blinded by religion and hypocrisy. As long as you have stimulants and depressants that people want to experiment with, you will have drug users. Period. Let the HOLY ONES AND POLICE CHIME IN NOW...YARNNNN!!!!

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 02/28/11 - 06:06 pm
With gas prices going up,

With gas prices going up, suppliers and deliverers probably want to be in closer proximity to their customers to keep transportation (trafficking) costs down more now than before, so those costs won't cut into their narrowing profit margin. They try to keep a low profile while living in or working from near their customers.

dwb619
dwb619 02/28/11 - 09:33 pm
I don't think a major coke

I don't think a major coke dealer has ever cared two twits what gasoline cost.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 03/02/11 - 05:13 pm
dwb619, those were NOT major

dwb619, those were NOT major drug dealers, but anyone in any business that does a lot of driving, legitimate or not, is beginning to see the cost of gas affect his bottom line and narrow his profit margin. If they don't care two twits, they are going to be minus three.

Grad rates show improvement by local school systems

Graduation rates in both Richmond and Columbia counties followed the statewide trend of slow and steady increases in 2014, although progress in individual schools varied greatly.