Judge keeps 14-year-old jailed

Jim Blaylock/ Staff
Jim Blaylock/staff Lacy Aaron Schmidt, 14, is led into the Columbia County Courthouse for a bond hearing in the shooting death of his 14-year-old neighbor Alana Calahan. Bond was denied by Judge Albert Pickett.

A Superior Court judge denied bond Friday to a Harlem teen accused of fatally shooting his neighbor and friend.

Lacy Aaron Schmidt, 14, is led into the Columbia County Courthouse. He is accused of shooting his 14-year-old neighbor, Alana Calahan, last month. A judge denied a request for bond Friday.   Jim Blaylock/Staff
Jim Blaylock/Staff

Lacy Aaron Schmidt, 14, of the 1200 block of Miles Road, must remain jailed at the Regional Youth Detention Center while awaiting trial, Judge Albert M. Pickett decided during a hearing at the Evans courthouse.

Police say Schmidt shot Alana Callahan, also 14 and of Miles Road, in the head and neck Jan. 31.

Alana's 18-year-old sister, Amanda, arrived home that day and found Schmidt's shoes by the front door, a chair knocked over in the dining room and a pool of blood on the floor, according to testimony at the hearing. Schmidt then ran inside, saying that he thought Alana's body was in the woods and that he had seen a man running away.

When the body was found, Amanda tried to resuscitate her sister with CPR while Schmidt vomited, saying that he had touched the body and that police would think he did it because of the fingerprints he left, according to testimony.

Schmidt initially told police that he found Alana's body while chasing away an intruder. He later confessed to shooting her but said it was an accident.

The Harlem Middle School eighth-grader was shot from behind as she sat at a computer in the dining room, according to police. She was dragged outside, across the backyard and into the woods.

Authorities said Alana was shot with the same type of 9 mm semiautomatic pistol owned by her father.

That gun was missing after the shooting. Deputies found it beneath a sink at Schmidt's home, a prosecutor said.

Betty Jo Calahan, Alana's mother, has said that Schmidt and her daughter were friends and that he often visited her.

"He went over there every night, just about, and ate supper," said Schmidt's sister and guardian, Dianna Chitty, as she pleaded with the judge to grant bond. "I'm begging for mercy, your honor. Please let him come home."

Pickett responded that Schmidt is "a threat" and needed to remain incarcerated.

speedy6492
speedy6492 02/18/11 - 04:31 pm
Good! Keep him lock up,

Good! Keep him lock up, thanks Judge Pickett!

corgimom
corgimom 02/18/11 - 04:18 pm
Judge Pickett has great

Judge Pickett has great common sense.

storiesihaveread
storiesihaveread 02/18/11 - 04:48 pm
Good job Judge Pickett the

Good job Judge Pickett the young man needs to be held accountable for his actions.

scoobynews
scoobynews 02/18/11 - 06:40 pm
Needs to come home! That poor

Needs to come home! That poor girl will not be coming home! He should have thought of that before he shot her.

bclicious
bclicious 02/18/11 - 09:49 pm
Miles Road is not in Harlem,

Miles Road is not in Harlem, GA!

GET YOUR FACTS RIGHT!

recoveringaddict
recoveringaddict 02/18/11 - 10:10 pm
Google maps show that Miles

Google maps show that Miles Road is in Harlem. Why do you say it's not bclicious?

bclicious
bclicious 02/18/11 - 11:05 pm
With respect, Google maps is

With respect, Google maps is wrong. Miles Road is located outside of the city limits of Harlem.

Sorry!

bclicious
bclicious 02/18/11 - 11:09 pm
I guarantee it.

I guarantee it.

RAWR
RAWR 02/18/11 - 11:24 pm
Why does he need to come

Why does he need to come home? He needs to stay incarcerated for the crimes he committed.

juantez
juantez 02/18/11 - 11:46 pm
He's a outstanding young man

He's a outstanding young man will make his mom & dad proud...

Name Not Important
Name Not Important 02/19/11 - 12:24 am
HE took a life. He's right

HE took a life. He's right where he needs to be. Nobody charged with murder, molesting a child, or rape should ever be allowed bond until they've had their day in court and have either been proven "guilty" or "innocent".....those are SERIOUS offenses. I've never understood giving a bond to someone who just took another's life. You do that and you don't deserve to be around people.

bclicious
bclicious 02/19/11 - 03:11 am
Oh good, Augusta Chronicle

Oh good, Augusta Chronicle fixed the headline. I knew told you guys miles road was outside of the city limits of Harlem.

rtkguy
rtkguy 02/19/11 - 04:22 am
Miles road has a Harlem

Miles road has a Harlem mailing address. Its close enough to be considered Harlem. I appreciate the judge not giving him bond. I live just down the street from the Schmidt boy and I don't want that kid running the streets near me while out on bond. He only lives about a stone throw from the Calahan home.

bclicious
bclicious 02/19/11 - 07:12 am
No rtkguy, I am sorry, Miles

No rtkguy, I am sorry, Miles Road is still not inside the city limits of Harlem. No matter how long we debate about it, the fact is that this house does not reside in Harlem. If someone living on Miles Road picks up the phone and dials 911, Harlem PD nor Harlem FD will respond.

This house is not in Harlem; period!

Donnie Fetter
Donnie Fetter 02/19/11 - 07:34 am
Harlem High School is not in

Harlem High School is not in the city limits, but it has a Harlem mailing address. It, too, technically is not protected by Harlem PD and FD. Should the name of that school be changed? Of course not. Rebecca Sears, the woman accused of killing Kay Parsons, doesn't live inside the Grovetown city limits, but has that mailing address and is referred to as a Grovetown resident. Martinez and Evans are not incorporated, but crimes commited there are attributed to happening there due to the mailing address. While I appreciated your civic pride, since I grew up in Harlem, I can't change where I list these people as living until the post office changes their address.

sugarbutton
sugarbutton 02/19/11 - 09:02 am
Donnie Fetter speaks the

Donnie Fetter speaks the truth and we from Harlem should know where we are, as I said in my post last night that was obviouslly reported by bclicious who still doesn't know that Miles Rd. is in Harlem. They removed my post and "someone" (no name please, it might insult their integrity) is still posting and commenting about Miles Rd. For anyone who read my post last night...then you probably know by now that Miles Rd. for sure has a HARLEM address. Have a good day!

lillyfaith
lillyfaith 02/19/11 - 10:28 am
I live on Miles Rd. My zip

I live on Miles Rd. My zip code is 30814, therefore I live in Harlem. Just because you don't live in the city limits doesn't mean that you aren't considered as living in that city. No Harlem PD doesn't respond out here, but neither does Dearing or any other "city" departments. Columbia County responds. My mail says Harlem. I think we know where we live a little better than you. And yes, the house is in Harlem. I think I should know, I live next door!!!!!

Name Not Important
Name Not Important 02/19/11 - 12:15 pm
A 14 year old girl is shot

A 14 year old girl is shot dead and you people are arguing about whether a street is really in Harlem or not. Come on now!

sugarbutton
sugarbutton 02/19/11 - 12:33 pm
Name Not Important....do you

Name Not Important....do you know where Harlem or Miles Rd is?

Donnie Fetter
Donnie Fetter 02/19/11 - 02:27 pm
@Name Not Important: I meant

@Name Not Important: I meant no disrespect to the Callahan family, nor am I downplaying this tragedy. But a commenter attacked the credibility of my reporting and I wanted to make it clear that both Alana and Schmidt do indeed have Harlem addresses.

usapatriot
usapatriot 02/19/11 - 03:32 pm
name not important, do you

name not important, do you feel that outrage when a 14 y.o. is shot and killed in Latin America by drug smugglers? the ones getting you the drugs you've stated you use and want legalized?

15,273 killed last year in Mexico according to BBC.

of course not. you've proved that before as user420.

I am outraged you only feel American life is precious.

sugarbutton
sugarbutton 02/19/11 - 08:24 pm
You go Donnie Fetter. I have

You go Donnie Fetter. I have to learn from you how to not insult people by speaking the truth.

reba530
reba530 02/19/11 - 11:27 pm
Who cares if Miles rd is in

Who cares if Miles rd is in bum blank egypt. My goodness an innocent life was taken and thats all you have to make a big deal about..I hope justice will be served in this case. I am sure he did not mean to kill this girl but he surely should have thought about that before he pulled the trigger...

sugarbutton
sugarbutton 02/20/11 - 05:54 am
reba530...the people who live

reba530...the people who live in the area will make correction when necessary. And you are making a big deal out of what others make a big deal about, why? Maybe some people deal with things other than the way you do (differently?). My mother in a nursing home, tells others what to think and say still...to this day! Doesn't change minds just gives us amusement! I'm very sorry the young girl died, but don't need you to tell me to feel a certain way, but thanks for trying dear!

Name Not Important
Name Not Important 02/21/11 - 10:24 pm
None of what I smoke comes

None of what I smoke comes from Mexico...thanks for trying though. Also I value all life. Also people who like to smoke pot like myself haven't caused the violence in Mexico, Bad Laws and Prohibition caused by ignorant people and politicians caused that. If pot were legal then there would be a darn "Grown In" tag on the bag. Unfortunately pot is illegal and therefore it is difficult if not impossible to determine it's originating country.

How sad it is when an innocent person dies. However there are thousands of innocent victims every year, and I will not just blame the drug cartels, but the main reason that everyone overlooks. That is the US stance to continue in this failed drug policy. Mexico’s drug cartels main export is marijuana. The criminal gangs are making billions if not trillions of dollars in this illegal business.

There is a large group of law enforcement professionals who agree that it is time to legalize and regulate all drugs. Regulation doesn't infer that it will be available over the counter in every aspect, but controlled maybe lowering everything to schedule II where prescriptions are required for the drugs use.

If you can not keep drugs out of prisons, then how in the world even with billions spent on enforcement do you expect to keep it out of a free society?

When will the US Government stop doing the same failed policy over and over, continue to escalate this “war on drugs” and begin to look for other solutions? When alcohol was legalized the policy wasn’t changed because the use and/or abuse of alcohol were a good thing for personnel behavior. Alcohol was not declared safe it was regulated. The policy and the laws were changed because the criminal gangs, the violence and the corruption were unacceptable damage of the policy of prohibition.

Now is the time to legalize marijuana, regulate it, and control it and contain the use above the black market drug cartels. IMHO take the profits away and remove the teeth of these criminals, and save thousands of innocent victims here and in Mexico.

BornInAUG
BornInAUG 02/22/11 - 07:22 am
I agree name not inmportant.

I agree name not inmportant.

tylerhays
tylerhays 03/07/11 - 03:06 pm
I agree with everyone that

I agree with everyone that says he needs to stay in jail and all but what happens to him here on earth is nothing compared to judgement day when god gives him the punishment he deserves.

Mayor's race historic, controversial

Hardie Davis is still waiting to take office after winning a mayoral race that featured no white candidates and saw one of his opponents drop out the day before the election.