Dean pleads not guilty to charges

Former Columbia County Commissioner Scott Dean pleaded not guilty Friday to charges that he molested his adopted daughter.

Former County Commissioner Scott Dean walks into court for his arraignment Friday on two counts of child molestation.   Jim Blaylock/Staff
Jim Blaylock/Staff

Dean entered his plea during an arraignment hearing at the Evans courthouse.

A grand jury indicted him Feb. 2 on two counts of molesting one of five children he and his wife, Renee, adopted from Guatemala in 2008.

According to the indictment, Dean exposed himself and inappropriately touched the girl.

On Thursday, Superior Court Judge James G. Blanchard Jr. appointed a child advocate to guard against potential undue influence on the girl that might sway her testimony. She currently lives with Renee Dean in their Harlem home.

Scott Dean has not lived at the home since the state Division of Family and Children Services temporarily removed the adopted children in October.

Dean resigned from his post as District 4 county commissioner on the day of the indictment. Two days later, the commission formally accepted his resignation and set March 15 as the date for a special election to replace him.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/18/11 - 05:12 pm
"On Thursday, Superior Court

"On Thursday, Superior Court Judge James G. Blanchard Jr. appointed a child advocate to guard against potential undue influence on the girl that might sway her testimony. She currently lives with Renee Dean at their Harlem home."

Good luck with that.

Jillian
Jillian 02/18/11 - 05:31 pm
The failure to protect

The failure to protect children in our judicial system is mind boggling.

jbartley
jbartley 02/18/11 - 06:22 pm
Dean better hope if he is

Dean better hope if he is found guilty he dosen't stay longer than 24hrs in Reidsville state prision. If he makes a deal he could do his time at Wilcox state prision, they aren't as savage to child molesters their.

clumber
clumber 02/18/11 - 07:01 pm
I have noted many cases where

I have noted many cases where the allegations are untrue. We also theoretically have an innocent until guilty law. I believe the hangmen are already out in force.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/18/11 - 07:25 pm
Clumber, I don't know if I'm

Clumber, I don't know if I'm one of those you are referring to, but I haven't expressed an opinion about Dean's guilt or innocence. However, expressing opinions about those awaiting trial is perfectly resonable and legal. What I do find strange is that the wife is backing Dean's innocence, yet, the daughter he is charged with touching inappropriately and exposing himself to is living with her. Doesn't that sound weird?

a different drum
a different drum 02/18/11 - 07:43 pm
Riverman1 -- I agree with you

Riverman1 -- I agree with you it does sound strange. Of course the article is vauge about what actually happen -- we just don't know -- we can let out imaginations go either way. I would think that if the wife is supporting him these charges are trumped up -- of course I have no idea of what actually happened. I just don't know. But if the wife allowed this to happen and is covering up -- why are the children still with the wife? Personally, I think he will be found not guilty -- if he has a good lawyer!

trimmy
trimmy 02/18/11 - 07:45 pm
He looks guilty. Just a

He looks guilty. Just a legal opinion.

clumber
clumber 02/18/11 - 07:58 pm
Riverman1. No, I was not

Riverman1. No, I was not referring to you. This thread is not the only source of my observation. I do agree with you that something is strange here. The indictment, which is available on the web, is very explicit. We shall see.

bclicious
bclicious 02/18/11 - 10:43 pm
Wow Trimmy! I hope I never

Wow Trimmy! I hope I never enter your court of law. In your court, innocence or guilt is based on looks alone.

LBenedict
LBenedict 02/18/11 - 11:05 pm
drum, Dean has an expensive

drum, Dean has an expensive lawyer, not a good one, and, I wonder how he is being paid and by whom.
jbartley, funny you mention Wilcox; when I was returning from Tifton in November, I drove by its grounds and almost hit a crew of inmates working on/around the grounds of a nearby funeral home - they were just backing on to the road, not looking for traffic or anything.

outthere
outthere 02/19/11 - 02:25 am
You guys dont have a clue ..

You guys dont have a clue ..

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/19/11 - 07:59 am
Outthere, surely you didn't

Outthere, surely you didn't create this sceenname to just say that. Enlighten us.

mary dits
mary dits 02/19/11 - 10:24 am
Riverman1
Riverman1 02/19/11 - 10:29 am
Mary Dits, you guys are at it

Mary Dits, you guys are at it again. LOL... A classic. The actor has him pegged.

mary dits
mary dits 02/19/11 - 10:30 am
:) !!!

:) !!!

DoggieMom
DoggieMom 02/19/11 - 02:22 pm
My husband and I adopted kids

My husband and I adopted kids out of foster care many years ago.
Now the "system" recognizes "Reactive Attachement Disorder", but
We had no support after we took custody, and had nothing but grief
for the years to raise these children (after successfully raising
our own kids). These kids will invent lies to get attention!
I never believed that until we set up baby monitors in every room!
These seemingly sweet kids plotted abuse accusations any time they were
Alone together. In response, we never let them be alone, and moved our
older kids OUT for their own protection.
Mrs. Dean needs help now. I can't imagine handling this many alone.
I never would have believed what kids were capable of, until I lived it.
To this day, these kids, now adults, spread vicious lies.
The "therapist" knew there were constant inconsistancies, but was content to
Just collect his huge paycheck. My personal theory is that kids with PTSD reinact
their past on their new parents. Good luck getting any truth from anyone at this point.

dani
dani 02/19/11 - 04:17 pm
Wasn't it inappropriate

Wasn't it inappropriate actions involving a minor, with permission?

corgimom
corgimom 02/19/11 - 06:33 pm
I don't know if he is guilty

I don't know if he is guilty or not, but if I were a commissioner and I was falsely accused of a terrible crime, I wouldn't resign my seat. But that's just me.

A child running away from home is a serious sign that something is terribly wrong in the child's life. Life on the streets is very hard; and when they run away and stay away, it's usually severe abuse of some sort that drives them away from their home. The ones that are just mad because things aren't going their way usually come home within a week or two, after they calm down and realize that they didn't have it too bad.

Leaving your parents, your siblings, your home, your friends, your school, your life- that's a lot to give up, and it takes a lot to make a child run away and stay away.

I know, I did it. My brother did too.

Whatever the problem is and whoever it involves, that family needs help. I sincerely hope they get it.

freeradical
freeradical 02/19/11 - 07:47 pm
That facy that columbia

That facy that columbia county RINOS would put this cretin back in office

after what was already known to be fact tells it all.

A bunch of liberals in republican clothing.