Teenager mourned at Evans High School

Brooke Moye, 17, died Monday in traffic accident

It will take at least a week to determine whether a teenager killed in a wreck Monday was texting at the moment of impact, Richmond County Deputy Coroner Johnny McDonald said Tuesday.

Moye   SPECIAL
SPECIAL
Moye

Brooke Moye, 17, died after her SUV crashed into an AT&T utility truck on Jimmie Dyess Parkway at Belair Road. McDonald said the coroner's office has subpoenaed the telephone records.

"I don't know (whether she was texting)," McDonald said, "but we're looking into it."

Students and faculty members at Evans High School mourned Brooke's loss Tuesday.

"A lot of (her friends) didn't come to school today," Evans High Principal Don Brigdon said Tuesday. "We had a few who also signed out to go home."

At least one student created a video tribute to the teen on YouTube, in which he railed against texting while driving.

Police said Brooke was traveling north on Dyess in a Hyundai Santa Fe when it crashed into the back of a truck that had stopped at a red light.

"From all indications, she never applied the brake," Richmond County Coroner Grover Tuten said.

Brigdon described Brooke as a student with varied interests who focused on the school's Career Technology Agricultural Education classes.

"She (was) in metals," he said. "Last year, she was in transportation. The year before that, she was in child development.

"She's the kind of student who liked to cross all boundaries. She had friends in all kinds of areas."

To attend to those friends, Brigdon said, he shut down the usual operations of the school's media center so it could be used as a counseling area.

Brooke's mother, Christina Moye, is a school bus driver at Evans High, which added to the personal connection the school had with the family.

No memorial service is being planned, Brigdon said.

"We're backing off until the parents can come to terms with this and make arrangements," he said.

Staff Writers Kyle Martin and Valerie Rowell contributed to this article.

JazzyJoker
JazzyJoker 02/15/11 - 10:47 am
During my highschool years I

During my highschool years I lost two of my peers to suicide. The feeling of grief that sinks into the building sometimes makes it hard to breathe and while I know that death is unavoidable all I can do is wish that all this could be undone. I know what pain the students are feeling and I know it's not a pain that any teenager should have to go through.

whyme
whyme 02/15/11 - 11:32 am
My prayers to the family and

My prayers to the family and friends. My daughter rode Mrs. Moye's bus and is hurting for them. May I encourage people to refrain from posting any comments about your opinion on this crash, even if well-meant. It is still painful and unnecessary.

fatboyhog
fatboyhog 02/15/11 - 11:40 am
I think I just want to throw

I think I just want to throw up. There is a knot in my stomach. I've witnessed a lot of death in my years, but the loss of a young person really hits home. I can't even begin to imagine losing a child. Thoughts and prayers are with the family.

aggrevatedparent
aggrevatedparent 02/15/11 - 01:09 pm
I really don't think the

I really don't think the reason it happened is important at this time. This beautiful young girl lost her life way to early and the parents, family & friends are devestated. I do not know the family but I do have two 16 year old daughters myself. I can't even begin to imagine the pain & trauma that they must be feeling. Regardless of anyone's opinion or speculation - everyone should take a moment and pray for this girl and her family - It could be one of your loved ones one day! God Bless you Moye Family, you'll be in my prayers for many days to come.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 02/15/11 - 03:32 pm
Yes, no matter what the

Yes, no matter what the reason, the bottom line is that there was a loss of a very young life, and that is just so sad. I've got a daughter about that age and I just couldn't imagine how Ms. Moye must be feeling. I also work in a place where many high school students come and learn thru working, so it's as though it could have been one of them to me and I just hate it.

bullet28
bullet28 02/15/11 - 03:51 pm
I agree with

I agree with aggrevatedparrent and Just My Opinion. At this point in time, the reason it happened is not important. There are people hurting and crushed by this and throwing around speculations on the cause does NOT help those that loved her. My daughter's friend was killed on November 30, 2010 on her way to school and when I went to the school to check my daughter out because she was upset, there were parents and other adults in the office of the school making comments like "I bet she was texting". That moment in time was NOT appropriate to be speculating. Prayers for the Moye family and Ms. Moye's friends!

backagain
backagain 02/15/11 - 04:46 pm
I'm so so sorry,this

I'm so so sorry,this happened,this young lady is truly gone too soon.I would like to thank every single commenter,not one of you has said anything negative,you guys are really making me a better person.My deepest condolences to the family and friends of this young lady.May god bless you all.

bettyboop
bettyboop 02/15/11 - 05:27 pm
This beautiful young woman is

This beautiful young woman is now an Angel in our Lords Kingdom.

May he wrap the family in his loving arms and give you Peace..........

Name Not Important
Name Not Important 02/15/11 - 06:32 pm
RIP...I lost my best friend

RIP...I lost my best friend was she was that age...my condolences to her family and friends :(

reba530
reba530 02/15/11 - 06:42 pm
This is so sad. My heart goes

This is so sad. My heart goes out to her famiy and friends. May God give you the strength you need to get through this unfortunate situation.

fftaz71
fftaz71 02/15/11 - 08:12 pm
Riverrunner...do you know for

Riverrunner...do you know for sure this girl was even texting?? Because the police arent even saying if she was or not. This is not the time to be blaming the parents or anyone else for this matter. What if this was YOUR family?? Mr. Moye worked with my husband, and what needs to happen right now is for people to show support to a family that was just torn to shreds.
Please people, stop and think about what you are going to write before you post...if only to think if you would want those things said about you.
I was a firefighter at one time, a 14 yr old committed suicide by train where I lived at the time. I have yet to forget the family's reaction when they realized it was their child. Nor have I forgotten everything about that scene.
Unless you have been there and picked up a scene involving a young person, you have no idea what it is like. My heart goes out to the family no matter what the cause of the accident turns out to be. May God be with them right now...

C.C Native
C.C Native 02/15/11 - 09:09 pm
Well said fftaz71.....

Well said fftaz71.....

dani
dani 02/15/11 - 09:15 pm
I hear that the young woman

I hear that the young woman worked part-time at Cracker Barrel, if thast is so then she might have been paying her own phone bill.

LUV my GIRLS
LUV my GIRLS 02/15/11 - 09:39 pm

Thank you ffatz71 for your comments. If these people even knew the family they would not say the things they were saying. SO WHAT if she worked at Cracker Barrel? Does that mean she was paying for her phone bill? WHAT if she was paying for her own cell phone bill? SO WHAT? But she was not...She had two very caring parents that had a horrific tragedy happen in their life. NO, you do not know her nor her family so please stop the accusations.... For those of you who continue to make comments about her texting while driving, please let the family and close friends mourn without people already condemning her for POSSIBLY texting. How do you know that her phone battery was not dead? How do you know she was not messing with the radio? How do you know she was not reaching for something in the back seat? How do you know? YOU DO NOT KNOW; NOBODY KNOWS! So PLEASE, stop making these accusations about texting. Anyone who makes the comments of "Was she texting", I hope this never happens to your child and you do not have to read what EVERYONE who THINKS they know EVERYTHING comments about! We all are mourning over her death! I just hope and pray you do not lose a loved one and people ridicule you for the death of your loved one. LET THE FAMILY AND FRIENDS MOURN IN PIECE......

jbartley
jbartley 02/15/11 - 09:50 pm
I am so sorry for the parents

I am so sorry for the parents no one knows the pain when a child dies!!! No day will ever goes by you don't think of them and miss them.
I am sure the little girl is in HEAVEN!!!

Crime Reports and Rewards TV
Crime Reports and Rewards TV 02/15/11 - 11:56 pm
No one knows what happened

No one knows what happened yet except that a wonderful young lady has passed on. Prayers to Family and Friends. When you get into a car or ANYWHERE near other drivers please remember that you're rolling the dice on eternity.

crackerjack
crackerjack 02/15/11 - 09:58 pm
Another young life snuffed

Another young life snuffed out in her prime. May God comfort the family and her friends in these sad times.

whiterknuckles
whiterknuckles 02/16/11 - 12:01 am
Evans High School has some of

Evans High School has some of the most compassionate and caring students, teachers, and administrators. Brooke will be forever remembered in a positive light.

shamrock
shamrock 02/16/11 - 12:05 am
Speculation, blame and how it

Speculation, blame and how it happened all fall by the wayside when you realize a child died in such a horrific manner. A death is always catastrophic to loved ones but when a young person dies in such a horrifc manner it sems to compound that loss. It is a loss to parents and other family members that only those who have been there can even comprehend ... and those who haven't can only Thank God! I can only echo the thoughts of those who have already expressed prayers for this grief stricken family.

Somebodysmama
Somebodysmama 02/16/11 - 07:48 am
I was a few cars back from

I was a few cars back from this accident coming from Fort Gordon, I called 911 like many others. I didn't stop because I had my toddler in the car, many others had pulled over to assist. I saw the car and unfortunately witnessed the untimely death of this beautiful girl. I immediately called my daughter not knowing that this was her friend I saw. A few hours later she told me the girl you saw was my friend, it was an awful incident to have winessed. My prayers go out to the Moye family, the Evans High school students who loved her so much. My thoughts and prayers are with this family who lost their precious daughter.

Boston93
Boston93 02/16/11 - 08:15 am
My prayers are with the

My prayers are with the family and friends.

JANET49
JANET49 02/16/11 - 08:53 am
I can only imagine what this

I can only imagine what this family is going thur. I have a daughter 24 that want ever be driving or texting because she has cerbal palsy but I know that something tragic like this could still happen to her and I would never be the same as when u lose someone close to you family you are never the same. My heart goes out to this family how painful I know this has to be. I live in Thomson and before Christmas there was a 17 yr. old that was killed cause of not wearing a seat belt. Yes loss is part of life we have to face. Nothing can take the pain away except time and God giving you the strength to face each day. I know He will do just that and I know that He is with this family just know that He will never leave you nor forsake you and we can go to Him with anything. He already knows what is going to happen before we do and knows how to comfort you and ease the pain and hurt. May you find you all you need in God always. I am truley sorry for your loss and you are in my thoughts and prayes........

baby21511
baby21511 02/16/11 - 05:12 pm
I knew Brooke! And I miss her

I knew Brooke! And I miss her dearly. I wish she was still here. I know that would make Gage feel a whole lot better. and Her family would be so happy. Everyday I would see her walking with Gage and now just to know that I can never see her again. It's very devastating! and having to hear all these rumors about how she died doesn't help it! I miss and love you Brooke! I can't wait to see see your beautiful face in Heaven darling!

ashley shay
ashley shay 02/16/11 - 08:57 pm
Brooke was a dear friend to

Brooke was a dear friend to me. When we were in middle school we were almost inseperable. This is the second friend Ive lost in 6 month and it is the worst feeling in the world to know that these young girls had so much ahead of them and their life gets simply short cut. Pray for Ms. Chris and Mr. Todd. No one should have to go threw the tragedy of morning of such a beautiful and vibrant 17 year old girl.

Christmas Eve storm possible

ATLANTA - Forecasters say strong storms, some with the potential for isolated tornadoes, are possible over large parts of Georgia on Christmas Eve.